Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

6 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Pulled out of the Olise deal, which is a shame as I think he’s a really good player, but I don’t think it’s the end of the world. At least they came to the decision quickly and are moving on.

1 minute ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Olise off to Bayern apparently. 

Tbh I think he just chose Bayern and for some reason we felt the need to release a story that we pulled out of the deal, which I find a bit small and petty. Not a massive fan of the way the new board feed stories to the media trying to set the narrative, it's classless

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Bison said:

Would love to know who these 'players' getting rewarded are. Palmer and? 

A new Palmer contract won't be off, but it's obviously just puff-piece media briefing. Not something to pay any real attention to. 

I'm not sure someone who plays in a position we've already spent huge amounts on, was injured half of last season and wants huge wages would have been a good idea anyway, tbh. Will very likely go on to be a success for whoever he joins, but hard to imagine he wouldn't have been a disaster for us.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Olise always does very well out of being linked with Chelsea, huh.

Exactly what I thought, that's twice now, I'd be telling his agent that if he has anyone else on his books we're never dealing with him. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Exactly what I thought, that's twice now, I'd be telling his agent that if he has anyone else on his books we're never dealing with him. 

….unless they’re Brazilian children. 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

We can develop what we have in Madueke, Angelo and possibly even do a u turn on Hutchinson, if that’s the case instead of splashing the cash on Olise, it’s not going to make me lose any sleep. We have Paez and Estêvão joining in a year anyway, we’re stacked as it is. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Olise off to Bayern apparently. 

Champions League was always going to be a deciding factor. It’s just the reality. We can’t offer big salaries or top tier football right now. We’re selling a “project” that may or may not work out. At Bayern he gets guaranteed Champions League football every season and a fair chance of titles. At least that’s what Harry Kane thought….

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Ham said:

He's been solid all season but exceptional for months. I predict he'll be the left back in the team of the tournament, he's been that good. 

Why would anyone want him sold unless they'd taken a position early on him and were too stubborn to concede?

You wouldn't be alone here doing that. 

There is nothing to concede. 

More than one club has purchased players of a tournament and the turn out to be not quite the player they thought they were buying.

A WC player the club brought kind of proves that point. 

4 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

How is it the agents fault?

More the gruesome twosome for going back for a player who said no last season. 

Going back for him proves the limitations of those two now their ex-employers lists are bare. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

11 hours ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Hopefully a new contract for Connor, but yeah not sure on the others.

I'm sure the sporting directors will reluctantly give Connor a new deal. Try as they might, they can't seem to sell him. So the only remaining options are a new deal or letting a £50m player leave for nothing next summer.

7 hours ago, Floyd25 said:

We can develop what we have in Madueke, Angelo and possibly even do a u turn on Hutchinson, if that’s the case instead of splashing the cash on Olise, it’s not going to make me lose any sleep. We have Paez and Estêvão joining in a year anyway, we’re stacked as it is. 

Paez and Estevao will be 18 years old then and several levels below where Olise is right now. Olise is a proven talent and would immediately improve our chances of success.

Paez and Estevao won't be ready for at least a couple of years and that's best case scenario if we're lucky. Worst case scenario being they turn into whatever Mudryk is now.

Speaking about these two kids like they're guaranteed to be world class is wishful thinking. 

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, Bison said:

I'm sure the sporting directors will reluctantly give Connor a new deal. Try as they might, they can't seem to sell him. So the only remaining options are a new deal or letting a £50m player leave for nothing next summer.

I think offering Conor a new deal (to be announced after July 1st) has been the intention for quite a while. They know they don't want the current deal to wind down and expire immediately before the CWC. If they wanted to offload Conor, the time to do so was last Summer or Winter at the latest. It would not surprise me if there were already a "heads of agreement" in place, which is why no one seems that fussed. I also think they might keep Chalobah for another two seasons, depending on sales. His contract doesn't expire until 2028, with an option for a further year. He is only on 50K. It seems to me that he would only be sold if we need income for PSR/FFP. Also, he missed half a season with an injury. If he could go a season without an extended injury, his value would be much greater than it currently is. He is hugely undervalued. Personally, I think he is our best centre-back.  The rest are either perma-crocks or "people with potential".

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, ROTG said:

There is nothing to concede. 

More than one club has purchased players of a tournament and the turn out to be not quite the player they thought they were buying.

A WC player the club brought kind of proves that point. 

It's not that those players are not the players they thought they were, it's more a case of them not being suited to certain types of league football.

Enzo proved himself at the top their of international  tournament football,  but  he might well not be suited to the much faster, more  physical football in the premier league. England  had their so called "golden generation" who proved themselves year in year out in the EPL and Champions League but they failed to deliver in the majority international tournaments. 

Reports that Olise who scored a career best ten goals last season is to be earning £220K per week at Bayern Munich . We'd then surely have to give both Palmer and Jackson that too and probably Gallagher so I can see why we pulled out.

Would have loved Olise *pre Palmer* but not overly disappointed because we have a lot of talent on that side waiting in the wings (and we're about to add even more).

I also don't think Palmer and Olise would have been the dream ticket either. If anything, I think they would have had a subtractive effect on each others game. Like when Newcastle added Shearer to the mix, but he didn't really mash with Les Ferdinand and they finished ten points worse off. I think Palmer needs contrast around him.

2 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Seems utterly, utterly pointless. To the point of suspicion.

Chelsea and Villa bailing each other out.  £37.5m for Maatsen with one year left on his contract.  

3 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Reports that Olise who scored a career best ten goals last season is to be earning £220K per week at Bayern Munich . We'd then surely have to give both Palmer and Jackson that too and probably Gallagher so I can see why we pulled out.

It could also turn heads if true. Maybe not that players initially but one would suspect that their agents will take notice should the deal go through and the alleged wages are correct. 

11 minutes ago, ROTG said:

It could also turn heads if true. Maybe not that players initially but one would suspect that their agents will take notice should the deal go through and the alleged wages are correct. 

Luckily they're all on long contracts so we hold the upper hand for once.