Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

If we're not getting Olise we should be looking at the Georgian number 6 Giorgi Kochorashvili

He's been brilliant so far in the Euros, plays in Spain for Levante and is only 23. 

It would certainly put a rocket up Mudryk if noticing else. 

2 hours ago, Ham said:

Chelsea and Villa bailing each other out.  £37.5m for Maatsen with one year left on his contract.  

Yep, I presume that’s what’s going on here. It’s down to the governing bodies financial rules they’ve put in place though, with selling home grown players being such a positive on the balance sheet.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see more of this happen and I don’t blame any of the teams doing it, to be honest.

Football, it’s just a business now.

No doubt those in charge will close the loophole soon enough though.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Yep, I presume that’s what’s going on here. It’s down to the governing bodies financial rules they’ve put in place though, with selling home grown players being such a positive on the balance sheet.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see more of this happen and I don’t blame any of the teams doing it, to be honest.

One of the things I miss about Roman - you could tell he just loved the club, football and adored being owner of Chelsea. Best owner ever imo. 🎯🩷✌️

Edited by Chelsea_Matt
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Players being traded like products rather human beings who are footballers. A very cold way of doing business and yet another thing which is chipping away at my love for the game.

• Agree 3

7 hours ago, Bison said:

Speaking about these two kids like they're guaranteed to be world class is wishful thinking. 

To be fair, I never mentioned that they were guaranteed to be world class, I was merely pointing out that we’ve signed quite a few forwards as it is that might be worth developing instead of selling for profit. Olise isn’t world class yet either and we were never putting him on higher wages than Palmer. 

• Like 1

State of the club....£18m for a lad signed for £600k two years ago and two appearances later. Apparently worth half of a champions league final appearing player.

More dodgy dealings by the laurel and hardy, more absolute whoppery and questionable goings ons by the yank financiers. Enjoy excuse monkey consumers.

Edited by patThenevin

20 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Players being traded like products rather human beings who are footballers. A very cold way of doing business and yet another thing which is chipping away at my love for the game.

Yep, me too. The further the game moves towards business and away from sport and entertainment, the less palatable it becomes for me. I fear it will only get worse with the next generation who will know no different and learn what they know about our sport from gaming consoles and morons on YouTube.

What baffles me is how little people have to say about the fact that we won't pay decent wages or fees for proven players any more. There is always an excuse - Olise wasn't the guy, Kante was past it, look at how it worked out with Sterling. 

Are people just accepting we are now a top six club at best? Or are people really believing that in 10 or 15 years time with all the profits rolling in for our youth investments we will eventually grow so much that they can finally invest proper money in proper players?

There is no way we are winning the league any time soon with this model, winning the Champions League? Forget about it.

People say we weren't winning the league anyway under Roman:

It was 5 seasons between when we last won the league and Clearlake's first full season.
We're already 2 seasons in to project Clearlake and going into a third.

Very very quickly it will pass the landmark of more seasons since Clearlake took over with no league title, than when we last won one under Roman, and no Champions League win in between.

An absolute complete and utter false equivalence. 

The levels of denial, delusion and apathy around this ownership are hard to believe. Fess up - how much are Clearlake paying you?

Edited by Max Fowler

Another 70 plus million spent on under 18 year olds. 

Do we really "not have the money" to strengthen the first team or are we making strategic decisions to buy players based primarily on a profit motive?

Oh, I forgot, strengthening the first team actually hinders our existing players. 🫠 🔫

5 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Do we really "not have the money" to strengthen the first team or are we making strategic decisions to buy players based primarily on a profit motive?

Oh, I forgot, strengthening the first team actually hinders our existing players. 🫠 🔫

We’ve spent a considerable amount of time trying to sign Olise and he chose not us. I think I’m ok with ensuring the players that want to be here get to play for us. 

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, DannyLB said:

We’ve spent a considerable amount of time trying to sign Olise and he chose not us. I think I’m ok with ensuring the players that want to be here get to play for us. 

Again, it's NOT about Olise.
It's about buying players that are ready to lead the team now and paying good money for them.

We are clearly not doing that, not going to be doing that and saying that about Olise is just an excuse to pretend otherwise.

16 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

We really clearly don't, I feel confident in part because of the shockingly bad and expensive job we've done in the last 2 years of strengthening the first team squad. Accounting for children over multiple years who are paid nothing compared to the inherited squad is a pittance compared to the funds needed to sustain an actually good squad.

The thing you seem to miss when you bang on about this lot being profit-driven (which they plainly are, don't disagree) is that they absolutely are not making a profit from buying and selling young players. They'd have to sell hundreds of kids at huge profits to recover what they've invested.

The way to make money is to increase the value of the club and sell it, not individual players. They genuinely think this strategy will win us trophies in the near future. That's the unhinged bit.

32 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

We really clearly don't, I feel confident in part because of the shockingly bad and expensive job we've done in the last 2 years of strengthening the first team squad. Accounting for children over multiple years who are paid nothing compared to the inherited squad is a pittance compared to the funds needed to sustain an actually good squad.

The thing you seem to miss when you bang on about this lot being profit-driven (which they plainly are, don't disagree) is that they absolutely are not making a profit from buying and selling young players. They'd have to sell hundreds of kids at huge profits to recover what they've invested.

The way to make money is to increase the value of the club and sell it, not individual players. They genuinely think this strategy will win us trophies in the near future. That's the unhinged bit.

Unfortunately the situation is much worse than you fear. It's not that they are failing at their strategy to win trophies -  they are absolutely succeeding at their model at turning us into the next Leipzig / up market Brighton.

If the club becomes incredibly profitable they can take their cut. 
The Premier League continues to grow whether we finish 2nd or 4th, or 8th, as does club values. It's an absolute cash cow.

We can easily become very profitable without success on the pitch. It's only 3.1 million per Premier League place. The winners of the Champions League get a measly 20 million pounds.

All the money is in transfers and wages, not in trophies.

We are buying 20 year olds and paying them nothing in wages. We are buying assets who we can give experience at Strasbourg or in the first team and sell in 5 or even 10 years while they are still young. 

Bayern Munich buy a 30 year old Kane for 80 million with a few years left and little resale value.
We buy players who are 10 years younger for 20-40 million on nothing wages and turn them over in a few years.

I used to think you were right, that they genuinely think this strategy will win trophies, but now it's obvious they don't really care about that. Profit comes first, football come second, if we win a trophy it's just a nice bonus.

Edited by Max Fowler

21 hours ago, Bison said:

Hilarious.

Maybe if they hadn't agreed to pay 50m for a child they would be able to afford one of the best attackers in the league.

Completely unconnected. 

42 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Unfortunately the situation is much worse than you fear. It's not that they are failing at their strategy to win trophies -  they are absolutely succeeding at their model at turning us into the next Leipzig / up market Brighton.

No. Name one player we've successfully developed and sold at significant profit. You won't be able to, because there aren't any.

We're spending loads more than either club you mention, so we're nowhere near being as successful as they are at turning profit.

Teams that win things don't win a lot of money. They are worth a lot of money. That's what I said, but I can see it was, with all respect, a mistake engaging. 

29 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

No. Name one player we've successfully developed and sold at significant profit. You won't be able to, because there aren't any.

We're spending loads more than either club you mention, so we're nowhere near being as successful as they are at turning profit.

Teams that win things don't win a lot of money. They are worth a lot of money. That's what I said, but I can see it was, with all respect, a mistake engaging. 

They’ve been here two seasons. I guarantee there will be many players sold for profit or break even in the coming years, as we are also seeing with the academy.

The money spent in the opening windows hinged on the fact that the deal we had in taking over the club insisted that they spent 1.75 billion on upgrading the squad.

There is now a clear change of policy also, since Bedad took more control where we are doubling and tripling down on buying young players on the cheap. We will not buy enzo’s or caicedo’s any time soon. And why would they want to come? Why would Olise want to come? Instead we profit off cheaper and younger assets.

They don’t need or want to sell the club. They can keep hold of it as an asset for 30 years if they like. It will grow season on season whether we finish 1st 4th or 8th because the Premier League in particular is a cash cow as is sport in general. Given that fact, why would they ever want to sell it?

Edited by Max Fowler

I've heard will will get Duran for a lot less than the reported £40m now. 

Two players for a total of £40m both spread over 5 year contracts whilst we get £37m for Maatsen as pure profit.

Say what you like about this lot but they are exploiting loopholes better than anyone.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

The other point on the Kellyman, Maatsen deals is that they are clearly being used by both clubs to get around FFP. Inflate the price for both players so Villa and Chels escape FFP ramifications.

Yes there is something fun about our owners taking the rules for mugs but frankly they are taking all of us for mugs too.

30 minutes ago, Bison said:

Yeah, you're right. We have unlimited money for children. 

Brilliant business as always. 

Let's see how much more we spend until 31st August and then try and pretend the Willian deal impacted this summer's spend 

5 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

The other point on the Kellyman, Maatsen deals is that they are clearly being used by both clubs to get around FFP. Inflate the price for both players so Villa and Chels escape FFP ramifications.

Yes there is something fun about our owners taking the rules for mugs but frankly they are taking all of us for mugs too.

Why not? The Premier league started it. There taking the league for mugs

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Why not? The Premier league started it. There taking the league for mugs

I would feel more positive about the owners bending the rules if it felt like it was being done to help the team on the pitch.

Instead it will free up more money to spend on 18 year old appreciating investments for their pocket.