Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

2 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

The club clearly has an eye for good young players, Matt. There’s just a very hard limit to where that can take us, and bad incentives to the strategy as a whole.

Tosin is not really what I’m after, no. He may be a good signing on a free, but I want players that clearly improve the squad. He is not that.

You say you want a goalie and a striker. I would love to see you say you want a goalie and a striker who are actually proven and not 20 years old.

We will not be signing more experienced players - end of brother!

Given our fragility at the back, Tosin looks good, I think? I haven’t seen much of him and the bar is a little low but you never know - he may surprise a few people. 

Cole Palmer was what, 21 when we bought him? I think Jackson, Madueke and Gusto have also done pretty well.  They’ll all have had a very useful season under their belts, too.

I totally understand your point of view, Max, but - forgive this old geezer - I don’t quite understand why you’re anxious about this window. We haven’t actually bought anyone yet and all the rumours seem simply like social media talk at the moment. To me they do, anyway. 👀✌️📱

1 hour ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Given our fragility at the back, Tosin looks good, I think? I haven’t seen much of him and the bar is a little low but you never know - he may surprise a few people. 

Cole Palmer was what, 21 when we bought him? I think Jackson, Madueke and Gusto have also done pretty well.  They’ll all have had a very useful season under their belts, too.

I totally understand your point of view, Max, but - forgive this old geezer - I don’t quite understand why you’re anxious about this window. We haven’t actually bought anyone yet and all the rumours seem simply like social media talk at the moment. To me they do, anyway. 👀✌️📱

I’m not anxious about this window, Matt, I’ve actually given up on this window. It’s obvious we’re only going to be signing 18 and 20-year-olds from now on. Patently obvious.

What I am more frustrated by is what I perceive to be lack of critique or analysis in some quarters about what the owners are doing what their plans are and what our expectations as fans are, and the sense that the can is constantly being kicked down the road.

When is the right time to talk about these owners? At the end of the transfer window? Another two years? Another five years? Another 20 years?

It’s actually interesting to me to hear some in this forum argue that we shouldn’t be expecting to be near the top of the league, given the size of our stadium et cetera.

I thought many of us Chelsea fans, still thought of us as one of the top three teams in the league, but maybe fans expectations are just different now.

Many of the conversations I hear happening in the fan base I don’t see happening on this forum, which is strange to see. And I don’t just think it’s a social media thing, I think the majority of match day going fans feel the same way as I do, and yet I am in the absolute minority here. Quite strange.

Edited by Max Fowler
  • Agree 1

@Max Fowler..Max I don't think you are in an absolute minority here...on the contrary I believe most members hold serious doubts about the way the club appears to be moving but not being in a position to influence anything at this time once commented on we basically are watching to see the next move in all situations.

Not a dig at you mate...you carry your Chelsea heart on your sleeve and no one doubts or questions the honesty of your views.

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

I’m not anxious about this window, Matt, I’ve actually given up on this window. It’s obvious we’re only going to be signing 18 and 20-year-olds from now on. Patently obvious.

What I am more frustrated by is what I perceive to be lack of critique or analysis in some quarters about what the owners are doing what their plans are and what our expectations as fans are, and the sense that the can is constantly being kicked down the road.

When is the right time to talk about these owners? At the end of the transfer window? Another two years? Another five years? Another 20 years?

It’s actually interesting to me to hear some in this forum argue that we shouldn’t be expecting to be near the top of the league, given the size of our stadium et cetera.

I thought many of us Chelsea fans, still thought of us as one of the top three teams in the league, but maybe fans expectations are just different now.

Many of the conversations I hear happening in the fan base I don’t see happening on this forum, which is strange to see. And I don’t just think it’s a social media thing, I think the majority of match day going fans feel the same way as I do, and yet I am in the absolute minority here. Quite strange.

People disagree with you. Suck it up.

Some, myself included, think we have a superb squad of players that could challenge sooner rather than later. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Luckily they're all on long contracts so we hold the upper hand for once. 

Contracts are meaningless if a player wants a pay rise or out of a club.

You knew that anyway. 

5 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

I totally understand your point of view, Max, but - forgive this old geezer - I don’t quite understand why you’re anxious about this window. We haven’t actually bought anyone yet

Yep, got untill 30th August to do transfer business 

7 hours ago, Ham said:

Firstly, they did not commit to spending £1.75m on the squad.  That was for infrastructure too.

Wasn't part of there original pitch when bidding and when they took over, to keep Chelsea a top 4 team and continue the winning domestic and European trophies and titles?

Just asking? 

9 hours ago, Original 21 said:

IMG_8921.jpeg

Increasingly rare I've ever heard of, let alone seen, anyone we've been linked with, but on the few occasions I've seen David I have liked him. Seems to work very hard defensively and in a press and be able to play multiple attacking positions.  Not really a big enough sample for me to say with confidence he'd work, but I'd not be opposed.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Don’t blame any of the clubs doing it, it’s the fault of those setting the rules.

Just one of the many ways football is now broken.

Question is would we need to do this if they hadn't spent so much money assembling a squad that is short in so many areas? They've already sold hotels and whatever else to balance the books. We can't blame the rules for that. 

We are part of this tomfoolery simply because funds have been badly mismanaged. They haven't even got a sponsor in place next season either, front of shirt or sleeve. We can't blame the rules for that either. 

7 minutes ago, Bison said:

Question is would we need to do this if they hadn't spent so much money assembling a squad that is short in so many areas? They've already sold hotels and whatever else to balance the books. We can't blame the rules for that. 

We are part of this tomfoolery simply because funds have been badly mismanaged. They haven't even got a sponsor in place next season either, front of shirt or sleeve. We can't blame the rules for that either. 

So have Villa and Newcastle been badly managed too ?

Imagine you're Newcastle , desperate to compete , your owners have the money but they're not allowed to spend it as they see fit because someone at the Premier League picked a figure out of the air .

I'm sure Clearlake haven't run out of money , they're just not being allowed to spend it because someone who's never achieved anything in football says so.

No other business has to meet these made up rules .

7 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

So have Villa and Newcastle been badly managed too ?

Imagine you're Newcastle , desperate to compete , your owners have the money but they're not allowed to spend it as they see fit because someone at the Premier League picked a figure out of the air .

I'm sure Clearlake haven't run out of money , they're just not being allowed to spend it because someone who's never achieved anything in football says so.

No other business has to meet these made up rules .

Villa and Newcastle are different cases to us.

It makes sense they would manoeuvre around PSR rules due to their revenue being several hundreds of millions lower than Chelsea's. 

Please let's not pretend like we're in the same boat for the same reasons. Newcastle and Aston Villa are there because the drawbridge has been pulled up on them. We're there because we're run by imbeciles who have lost the plot completely. 

5 hours ago, ROTG said:

Wasn't part of there original pitch when bidding and when they took over, to keep Chelsea a top 4 team and continue the winning domestic and European trophies and titles?

Just asking? 

I think that's what they're trying to do to be fair. 

48 minutes ago, Bison said:

Is the squad really "short in so many areas?"

For me, the only gaping hole is a new striker.  I think we have enough at CB and LB. 

Getting everyone back from the medical room will feel like a bunch of new signings. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ham said:

For me, the only gaping hole is a new striker.  I think we have enough at CB and LB. 

Getting everyone back from the medical room will feel like a bunch of new signings. 

Depends, where do you want to finish Ham? Where do you think this is good enough to finish?

You are in for a rough ride again with our injuries coming this season

20 minutes ago, Bison said:

Villa and Newcastle are different cases to us.

It makes sense they would manoeuvre around PSR rules due to their revenue being several hundreds of millions lower than Chelsea's. 

Please let's not pretend like we're in the same boat for the same reasons. Newcastle and Aston Villa are there because the drawbridge has been pulled up on them. We're there because we're run by imbeciles who have lost the plot completely. 

Even at our most successful our revenue has paled in comparison the traditionally successful clubs. That's exactly why we wanted the drawbridge pulled up.

You know what I think of these owners. They're idiots, and I genuinely think are an existential threat to the club. But if the PSR rules don't exist as they do, I think it's unlikely they'd make the exact same mistakes (spending huge amounts on players young enough to have resale value etc.). PSR has never been about sustainability, because the best way to guarantee that would be to let wealthy owners bail clubs out. It has always been about trying to manage sporting outcomes.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Increasingly rare I've ever heard of, let alone seen, anyone we've been linked with, but on the few occasions I've seen David I have liked him. Seems to work very hard defensively and in a press and be able to play multiple attacking positions.  Not really a big enough sample for me to say with confidence he'd work, but I'd not be opposed.

After seeing the Omorodion links, Jonathan David seems like a safe haven of football competency.

Bring him before we do something stupid.

17 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Even at our most successful our revenue has paled in comparison the traditionally successful clubs. That's exactly why we wanted the drawbridge pulled up.

You know what I think of these owners. They're idiots, and I genuinely think are an existential threat to the club. But if the PSR rules don't exist as they do, I think it's unlikely they'd make the exact same mistakes (spending huge amounts on players young enough to have resale value etc.). PSR has never been about sustainability, because the best way to guarantee that would be to let wealthy owners bail clubs out. It has always been about trying to manage sporting outcomes.

Even with our revenues being lower than the tradionally succesful clubs we really shouldn't be in a position where we're pulling off accounting tricks like selling the hotel, training ground and whatever else to meet PSR rules.

Taking a wild guess here but this Kellyman deal looks to me that the club are doing Villa a favour for this accounting period as they've agreed to scratch our back for the next accounting period from July with the Maatsen transfer.

I agree with the overall sentiment about PSR. It's a nonsense and shouldn't exist.

12 hours ago, Original 21 said:

IMG_8921.jpeg

Ornstein hinted at this (without mentioning names) the other day in the London Is Blue podcast/You Tube channel

Not seen him very often, but when I have he looks a handful, works hard and knows where the goal is. Seems to tick all the boxes of what Maresca wants from a 9.  I think I read somewhere that only Mbape has scored more goals in France over the last few years.

40 minutes ago, Ham said:

I think so but we obviously disagree on the quality of players. Think we need a GK (what we have now are all backups imo), a LB, a LW and another CF option.