Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

18 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Years of experience in mediocrity 

Yeah - let see what the new man can do . I would seem you are hedging you bets on a coach who's career achievement is winning the championship with a PL team against someone who's been successful in getting his teams to consistently qualify for the CL spot, and manage to get a bag of dolly mixture to over achieve?

I have to say i'm surprised the owners are still doubling down on the "exclusively youth" strategy. Especially after losing Thiago and likely Chalobah and Gallagher before the windows shut. The latter two are quite young themselves obviously but there is quite a bit of experience between those 3 and we seem to be looking at teenagers to replace them. For example by bringing a wildcard in Andrey Santos back from loan and fast-tracking him into the first team.

I know there's a business plan behind it all but Champions League football must be the goal this year and I would have loved to see a couple of experienced heads coming in the door to help us achieve that.

7 hours ago, McCreadie said:

Lucky I didn’t say that then…
The rest in bold is all made up conjecture.

In what world do you think we are going to at some point transition to buying a couple of “key players” though? To me, it’s absolutely obvious by now that the model is as follows: let the current first team players become the experienced “key players” we need. Supplement with youth signings and let them grow into the understudies. Rinse and repeat the model.

When do you think we are going to make this transition into buying “key players?” Why wouldn’t we do it now to ensure Champions League football? Because PSR is too tight? Yet we are continuing to spend upwards of 100 million on under 18–year-olds and everyone we are seriously linked with bar a couple of PR stunts suggests we are doubling and tripling down into that bracket.

Just take Jackson, for example. Why do you think we would be more likely to be an experienced striker in two or three seasons to compliment him than we are now? At that point, Jackson would literally be a fairly experienced striker. You can say the same thing for the rest of the team. 

Of course, I don’t know it for a fact, but the model seems obvious. If we were going to buy experienced players, we would buy them now. Instead we are buying more youngsters and letting our current crop grow into the experienced players.

10 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

As I have said often , Pochettino cannot coach , he's Gareth Southgate with a bowl of lemons , he's a vibes merchant .

I am absolutely 100 percent confident Maresca will be better because , I think YOU would be better than Pochettino 

The bloke has a reputation forged on his ability to give good PR to the press. 

This. Absolutely this. If ever there was a case of Emperor's New Clothes, it is him. I don't hate him and I felt a bit sorry for him in the end, but I've seen basically nothing from him at Chelsea to suggest he is half the manager the media seem to think/wish he was. 

Nice enough bloke I suppose, but very, very short on the old footballing side in my uneducated opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

10 minutes ago, MickyDroy said:

I have to say i'm surprised the owners are still doubling down on the "exclusively youth" strategy. Especially after losing Thiago and likely Chalobah and Gallagher before the windows shut. The latter two are quite young themselves obviously but there is quite a bit of experience between those 3 and we seem to be looking at teenagers to replace them. For example by bringing a wildcard in Andrey Santos back from loan and fast-tracking him into the first team.

I know there's a business plan behind it all but Champions League football must be the goal this year and I would have loved to see a couple of experienced heads coming in the door to help us achieve that.

People on here will point out signing Tosin as the counterexample, but picking him up on a free as someone who doesn’t improve the first 11 doesn’t really count.

You say doubling down. I would go even further. They are tripling and 10-xing down.

Previously, we were getting some of the supposedly most talented young players available - like Enzo and Mudryk, but that time is over now. 

We are now shooting squarely at the 17 to 20-year-old bracket and targeting players who have none of the experience of the two I just mentioned.

16 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

In what world do you think we are going to at some point transition to buying a couple of “key players” though? To me, it’s absolutely obvious by now that the model is as follows: let the current first team players become the experienced “key players” we need. Supplement with youth signings and let them grow into the understudies. Rinse and repeat the model.

When do you think we are going to make this transition into buying “key players?” Why wouldn’t we do it now to ensure Champions League football? Because PSR is too tight? Yet we are continuing to spend upwards of 100 million on under 18–year-olds and everyone we are seriously linked with bar a couple of PR stunts suggests we are doubling and tripling down into that bracket.

Just take Jackson, for example. Why do you think we would be more likely to be an experienced striker in two or three seasons to compliment him than we are now? At that point, Jackson would literally be a fairly experienced striker. You can say the same thing for the rest of the team. 

Of course, I don’t know it for a fact, but the model seems obvious. If we were going to buy experienced players, we would buy them now. Instead we are buying more youngsters and letting our current crop grow into the experienced players.

Enzo is a key player. Caicedo is a key player. Palmer is a key player. Fofana (if they can get him fit) is a key player.

Hardly any teams (including Chelsea) have done much if any business yet, the window has a long way to go. So let's wait until the window shuts before we start stating as fact what the clubs' transfer plans are or are not.

The quality of players we could sign this summer vs next summer if we make it back into the CL will be big, so if the club believe this squad plus a couple of additions that they're yet to make, can get us into the CL, it makes sense to make another push the following year with even better players.

• Agree 4

19 minutes ago, Morgs said:

This. Absolutely this. If ever there was a case of Emperor's New Clothes, it is him. I don't hate him and I felt a bit sorry for him in the end, but I've seen basically nothing from him at Chelsea to suggest he is half the manager the media seem to think/wish he was. 

Nice enough bloke I suppose, but very, very short on the old footballing side in my uneducated opinion. 

Dear Morgerino,

Before my second coffee of the day, I have to say that looking back, Poch was a huge disappointment given what I was expecting and from what I saw in pre-season. 👀😐🫡

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Enzo is a key player. Caicedo is a key player. Palmer is a key player. Fofana (if they can get him fit) is a key player.

Hardly any teams (including Chelsea) have done much if any business yet, the window has a long way to go. So let's wait until the window shuts before we start stating as fact what the clubs' transfer plans are or are not.

The quality of players we could sign this summer vs next summer if we make it back into the CL will be big, so if the club believe this squad plus a couple of additions that they're yet to make, can get us into the CL, it makes sense to make another push the following year with even better players.

Okay, then, maybe we have different definitions of key players. I assumed that McCreadie meant ready-made experienced players that would improve the first team squad. My bad.

The problem I have with your, let’s wait and see argument Sam is that it is continually used to just kick the can down the road. Let’s wait and see on Potter. Let’s wait and see on Pochettino. Don’t forget, I was one of the first ones to move on Poch on here. Let’s wait and see on Maresca. Let’s wait and see on this transfer window.

At some point let’s wait and see is just being used as a way to ignore the very likely reality that we’re not shopping in the market many of us would like us to. And that’s not because of Champions League football. We can still attract high quality players if we pay them proper wages. Or let’s go for the highest quality we can get right now that will get us into the Champions League.

It’s just obvious that this is not the strategy, Sam. There will always be another Paez. There will always be another Duran. We are relying on the current crop to grow up and get us there by hook or by crook. And if they don’t get us there, it doesn’t matter all that much anyway, because frankly, Champions League isn’t worth that much money compared to the potential revenues from developing players, and if we need to get there over the longer term then so be it in the eyes of the owners.

10 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Let me make one thing clear. I am also excited about Paez and Estevao. Of course, we don’t know how they are going to turn out, but it seems like we’ve done great to get them both.

Wouldn't call spending 50m on a 16 year old great business. Paez at £17m is more understandable.

18 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Enzo is a key player.

Enzo is a millstone around the neck of the team as was proven once he was injured and how the teams performances and dynamics increased twofold. 

Have a feeling mascara and the instruction from the scouts to play Enzo, we are about to witness a poor version of Sarriball 

Edited by ROTG

8 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

"Let's see what happens - it's early in the window!"

Max. It’s Twitter and we haven’t bought him…?  This forum would be way worse without you (and I really do mean that) but I don’t understand why someone of your obvious intelligence seems to believe “ITK” BS on social media…! ✌️🩶👀🙈😬

Just now, Bison said:

Wouldn't call spending 50m on a 16 year old great business. Paez at £17m is more understandable.

In fairness the 16 year old is playing mans football at the pinnacle of Brazilian football and scoring for fun so I expect providing we handle him properly when he's here it has the potential to be a bargain.  

1 minute ago, Bison said:

It's easy to get caught up in the hype but I have to be honest - the rumours about him seem excellent. Neymar just hyped him up plus he does Palmer's celebration.

I just want to complement the board on the signing but point out there are choices being made about who we sign - it's not the case that we cannot attract / afford experience.

I would keep going for the the 16-17 year old wonder talents like Paez / Estevao and skip the D. D. Fofanas, the John Durans, the Kellymans the Washingtons etc. etc.

Just now, Chelsea_Matt said:

Max. It’s Twitter and we haven’t bought him…?  This forum would be way worse without you (and I really do mean that) but I don’t understand why someone of your obvious intelligence seems to believe “ITK” BS on social media…! ✌️🩶👀🙈😬

Especially that idiot

• Like 1

Just now, Chelsea_Matt said:

I tell you what then Matt, shall we take a bet on if we sign anyone over a certain age this transfer window? Say... 21? Loser donates to CFCnet?

To me it's much more likely that these rumours are true than Osimhen etc. which is clearly being used as a way to hype up the fanbase.

5 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Enzo is a millstone around the neck of the team as was proven once he was injured and how the teams performances and dynamics increased twofold. 

Have a feeling mascara and the instruction from the scouts to play Enzo, we are about to witness a poor version of Sarriball 

We have CLEARLY brought Maresca in specifically to help Enzo. This has massively coloured the boards thinking on who the best manager is, because frankly I am highly doubtful anyway Fernandez will ever make it in the Premier League, whatever system it is we play.

1 minute ago, Max Fowler said:

I tell you what then Matt, shall we take a bet on if we sign anyone over a certain age this transfer window? Say... 21? Loser donates to CFCnet?

To me it's much more likely that these rumours are true than Osimhen etc. which is clearly being used as a way to hype up the fanbase.

It's long been known that the club are no longer interested in Osimhen, so the only members of the "fan base" being hyped up are the idiots who follow the ITKs on Twitter more than the club!   I doubt any of them have been anywhere near SB, and I bet 99% of the replica shirts they buy are knock-offs. The club get nothing from them.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Okay, then, maybe we have different definitions of key players. I assumed that McCreadie meant ready-made experienced players that would improve the first team squad. My bad.

The problem I have with your, let’s wait and see argument Sam is that it is continually used to just kick the can down the road. Let’s wait and see on Potter. Let’s wait and see on Pochettino. Don’t forget, I was one of the first ones to move on Poch on here. Let’s wait and see on Maresca. Let’s wait and see on this transfer window.

At some point let’s wait and see is just being used as a way to ignore the very likely reality that we’re not shopping in the market many of us would like us to. And that’s not because of Champions League football. We can still attract high quality players if we pay them proper wages. Or let’s go for the highest quality we can get right now that will get us into the Champions League.

It’s just obvious that this is not the strategy, Sam. There will always be another Paez. There will always be another Duran. We are relying on the current crop to grow up and get us there by hook or by crook. And if they don’t get us there, it doesn’t matter all that much anyway, because frankly, Champions League isn’t worth that much money compared to the potential revenues from developing players, and if we need to get there over the longer term then so be it in the eyes of the owners.

I believe the players I mentioned are our key players and will be for many years to come, although possibly not Enzo, but he's been signed to be that and we'll see how he gets on post-op under the new manager. In terms of signing experienced players, I agree with you to a point, I have said for months and months we need some experienced players, to be in and around the squad to help the team develop. That shouldn't be every signing we make though, which is why I'm not too worried about Duran for the moment. If we get to the end of this window and the only first-team signing we've made is Duran, then I'll be pretty unimpressed, but I don't believe that will be the case. 

The options as I see it are you get annoyed now about what you believe is going to happen, or you wait and see what happens and then react to that. We can have opinions and concerns about what's coming up, but that's all it can be, it can't be stated in fact unless you have inside information that none of us know about. We're not really kicking any can down the road as all the things we're talking about are out of our control, what I and others are saying is that the plan the club have set out isn't a quick-win plan, as Roman had, but a long term investment with a view to growing a young team together and therefore, like it or not, patience is required and the results won't be seen instantly. All I've been asking for is progression, as long as we can see progression towards the end goal (trophies) then I'll be happy.

Why would I be saying that we've messed up this transfer window before it has even happened?! You have your views on what will happen during this window and that is absolutely fine, you may even be proved right, or you could be proved entirely wrong. But you have decided what you think will happen and decided that you don't like it and that nobody else should either. We don't know and you keep coming on here stating as fact what is going to happen in the future, when actually you don't know and it is just your opinion... an opinion we're all entitled to and if someone has a differing one to you, that's absolutely fine, and you have no right to be calling people out in the way that you have in the last few days in what have actually, in my opinion, been some quite rude posts. Just like nobody has the right to say your opinion is wrong.

In terms of the markets we're shopping in, maybe it isn't the ones some/most/all of our fans want us to be shopping in, but for whatever reason, it is. I think it comes down to a few reasons, I believe it comes down to financial restraints from the governing bodies, I think it is to do with financial restraints the club has put on themselves, which whilst frustrating is reassuring in a way as it says they are trying to ensure we remain sustainable and not just paying the Lukaku's of this world £300k a week for 5 years! I also think that it's because the market you (and I'm sure others) want us to be shopping in is incredibly small compared to how it used to be. In my opinion, a lot of the generation coming through/just come through have in a lot of cases been overcoached and are more 'system' players than 'x factor' players we used to see and yet the price for the players throughout football has increased year on year.  The value for money at the top end just isn't there at the moment, in my opinion. 

If you're saying the owners aren't fussed about us making it back into the Champions League, I strongly disagree. I don't believe you invest the amount they have into a football club like Chelsea, to not want them in the Champions League every season and competing for titles. Whilst the prize pot may not be a game changer for the club, the other revenues it brings in are. Also, our owners want to be rubbing shoulders with the owners of Juventus, Madrid and Bayern, not the owners of Go Ahead Eagles, St Gallen and Tromso.

I believe I and a few others on here, have a lot more faith than you and some others that this squad can get us back to the Champions League, with just a couple of new signings in key positions, or possibly even without. Time will tell if we're right or not and if we're not, I'll be as disappointed as anyone else.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I believe the players I mentioned are our key players and will be for many years to come, although possibly not Enzo, but he's been signed to be that and we'll see how he gets on post-op under the new manager. In terms of signing experienced players, I agree with you to a point, I have said for months and months we need some experienced players, to be in and around the squad to help the team develop. That shouldn't be every signing we make though, which is why I'm not too worried about Duran for the moment. If we get to the end of this window and the only first-team signing we've made is Duran, then I'll be pretty unimpressed, but I don't believe that will be the case. 

The options as I see it are you get annoyed now about what you believe is going to happen, or you wait and see what happens and then react to that. We can have opinions and concerns about what's coming up, but that's all it can be, it can't be stated in fact unless you have inside information that none of us know about. We're not really kicking any can down the road as all the things we're talking about are out of our control, what I and others are saying is that the plan the club have set out isn't a quick-win plan, as Roman had, but a long term investment with a view to growing a young team together and therefore, like it or not, patience is required and the results won't be seen instantly. All I've been asking for is progression, as long as we can see progression towards the end goal (trophies) then I'll be happy.

Why would I be saying that we've messed up this transfer window before it has even happened?! You have your views on what will happen during this window and that is absolutely fine, you may even be proved right, or you could be proved entirely wrong. But you have decided what you think will happen and decided that you don't like it and that nobody else should either. We don't know and you keep coming on here stating as fact what is going to happen in the future when actually you don't know and it is just your opinion... an opinion we're all entitled to and if someone has a differing one to you, that's absolutely fine, and you have no right to be calling people out in the way that you have in the last few days in what have actually, in my opinion, been some quite rude posts. Just like nobody has the right to say your opinion is wrong.

In terms of the markets we're shopping in, maybe it isn't the ones some/most/all of our fans want us to be shopping in, but for whatever reason, it is. I think it comes down to a few reasons, I believe it comes down to financial restraints from the governing bodies, I think it is to do with financial restraints the club has put on themselves, which whilst frustrating is reassuring in a way as it says they are trying to ensure we remain sustainable and not just paying the Lukaku's of this world £300k a week for 5 years! I also think that it's because the market you (and I'm sure others) want us to be shopping in is incredibly small compared to how it used to be. In my opinion, a lot of the generation coming through/just come through have in a lot of cases been overcoached and are more 'system' players than 'x factor' players we used to see and yet the price for the players throughout football has increased year on year.  The value for money at the top end just isn't there at the moment, in my opinion. 

If you're saying the owners aren't fussed about us making it back into the Champions League, I strongly disagree. I don't believe you invest the amount they have into a football club like Chelsea, to not want them in the Champions League every season and competing for titles. Whilst the prize pot may not be a game changer for the club, the other revenues it brings in are. Also, our owners want to be rubbing shoulders with the owners of Juventus, Madrid and Bayern, not the owners of Go Ahead Eagles, St Gallen and Tromso.

I believe I and a few others on here, have a lot more faith than you and some others that this squad can get us back to the Champions League, with just a couple of new signings in key positions, or possibly even without. Time will tell if we're right or not and if we're not, I'll be as disappointed as anyone else.

I think you're too easy on him Sam. I would have, at the very least, suspended him for the relentless hostility and toxicity of his posts and for the use of an AI post generator.

• Haha 1