Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

37 minutes ago, east lower said:

I watched him (Obama) in the CL against us and he’s ordinary, big but ordinary. Plus he’s a walking/running booking.

Bakayoko Mk2.

Bakayoko is what I thought too to be honest , can't understand this one when we still actually have Bakayoko on the books although there are rumours he's off to Turkey . 

9 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Bakayoko is what I thought too to be honest , can't understand this one when we still actually have Bakayoko on the books although there are rumours he's Turkey . 

There MK, fixed it for you!

Can’t say I’d be thrilled if we were going after Onana as for me he’s not stood out as any sort of talent.

If we do make another signing before the window closes, it'll probably be Lyon right back Malo Gusto, but there's still a lot to do to convince Lyon to sell him in January. Summer seems more likely.

Like us Lyon are mid-table. Like us, Lyon expect to be higher. Like us, Lyon intend to do everything they can to climb the table. They won't do that by selling their better players.

They are resigned to losing Gusto as his contract runs out summer 2024 and he's said that he wants to move on to test himself elsewhere. Premier League is his preferred destination, and within the PL it's Chelsea (we've even agreed personal terms with him).

Just a matter of time, but summer more likely than now.

Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 19-05-20 Fabrizio Romano on Twitter.png

7 hours ago, RDCW said:

Lies, damn lies and statistics as they say. His highlights reel (yes I know) looks extremely good and if the current regime is prepared to trust their own observations then so am I.

There's no smoke without fire as they say. A player can't be as heinously bad in all possession based statistical areas as Onana is and yet be the opposite on the pitch. 

Onana-Comp.png

9 hours ago, xceleryx said:

There's no smoke without fire as they say. A player can't be as heinously bad in all possession based statistical areas as Onana is and yet be the opposite on the pitch. 

Onana-Comp.png

It does make you wonder what "scientific" based recruitment is seeing in him doesn't it?

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

It does make you wonder what "scientific" based recruitment is seeing in him doesn't it?

"Science" does not preclude observation. Indeed, observation is an important part of many scientific experiments, going beyond mere 'statistics'. Perhaps they've seen something that goes beyond the above graph? 😉

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Or does it make you wonder it might all be b*llsh*t?

The links to the Lyon right back seem genuine, if the comments by their president are anything to go by. I have seen nothing other than hearsay linking us with Onana. 

Looking at our remaining fixtures; if you count Fulham as a weekend fixture, then we only have one more midweek league game, and then anywhere between 2 and 7 CL games.

Bearing in mind the CL final is not until June, over the next 4 months, Feb, March, April, May, we have a maximum of 24 games over the next 17 weeks. 

Really quite manageable in comparison to the last couple of seasons. If we can get some of the walking wounded back fairly soon (looks likely) then we should be able to get through the rest of this season without too many problems, numbers wise.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Looking at our remaining fixtures; if you count Fulham as a weekend fixture, then we only have one more midweek league game, and then anywhere between 2 and 7 CL games.

Bearing in mind the CL final is not until June, over the next 4 months, Feb, March, April, May, we have a maximum of 24 games over the next 17 weeks. 

Really quite manageable in comparison to the last couple of seasons. If we can get some of the walking wounded back fairly soon (looks likely) then we should be able to get through the rest of this season without too many problems, numbers wise.

I think this is such an important point. The first half of the season was horrible for us with all the injuries, compiled with the relentless amount of games squeezed in before the world cup. This second half definitely looks a lot more manageable and it gives Potter the chance to properly work with the players and shape the team as he wishes... if he can't do that, then he'll have no real excuses.

I still think top 4 is too much for us at this stage, but we should be pushing for top 6 and Europa, to keep ourselves in Europe next season and the money that helps generate and with the squad we look like we're going to have next season, it could mean a genuin opportunity to get another European trophy.

Just now, Bison said:

Didn't Brighton ask for£100m from us? 

If they sell him to them for £60m we should never deal with them again and call back Colwill .

Providing these figures are true of course which in all likelihood they're not , in all honesty it's all probably cobblers .

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

If they sell him to them for £60m we should never deal with them again and call back Colwill .

Providing these figures are true of course which in all likelihood they're not , in all honesty it's all probably cobblers .

Should not have delt with them in the first place. TB been hoodwinked for Mid table players and coaching staff.

1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

I just can't see Brighton selling him in January as they have no need to sell now. They've received a lot from us already and another 27m from Arsenal for Trossard.

Whatever money they can get for Caicedo now will still be available in the summer.

If Caicedo is sold to Arsenal, then Brighton are purposefully being selective against us. I think there is a collective hate towards us from rivals because our big spending is perceived to be dodgy in some way, even though it is legitimate. Look at Klopp's nonsense talk from this week.

Ornstein says £60m Arsenal bid was rejected though. They are either holding firm, or want £100m or something. 

Edited by CarefreeMuratcan

8 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

If Caicedo is sold to Arsenal, then Brighton are purposefully being selective against us. I think there is a collective hate towards us from rivals because our big spending is perceived to be dodgy in some way, even though it is legitimate. Look at Klopp's nonsense talk from this week.

Ornstein says £60m Arsenal bid was rejected though. They are either holding firm, or want £100m or something. 

Arsenal's offer has been rejected as reported by David Ornstein. Another journalist who supposedly has contacts with Brighton says Arsenal's offer was 'laughed off'.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Bison said:

I just can't see Brighton selling him in January as they have no need to sell now. They've received a lot from us already and another 27m from Arsenal for Trossard.

Whatever money they can get for Caicedo now will still be available in the summer.

We're on the same page here. There's no real incentive for Brighton to shift a key player at this juncture in time, not when the player will still be a hot commodity in the summer where they can possibly leverage a bidding war. 

And if we're seriously looking at Caicedo the price is in touching distance to the £100m mark then I'd rather us got the mile extra and get Enzo, he's got more of what we need from a technical and possession based standpoint.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Am I alone in thinking there must be a much cheaper alternative out there? 

Christ, north of 60m for a bloke who has been in the PL a season, who cost 5m 18 months ago seems barmy.

This is what the market has become now. Big clubs used to be able to allow smaller sides to take the gamble on unearthing less reputable players before looking to sign them themselves. The prices of players these days has killed this from happening, especially in the Premier League where every club more or less has money. It's allowed sides like Brighton to dig in with high asking prices. 

6 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Am I alone in thinking there must be a much cheaper alternative out there? 

Christ, north of 60m for a bloke who has been in the PL a season, who cost 5m 18 months ago seems barmy.

The new recruitment structure will hopefully us get these type of quality players at the early reasonably priced stage that Brighton have been buying them at. 

• Like 1