Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c5111jg2r3yo

Maybe they should stop making stupid rules with massive loopholes for Uncle Todd to step through!

It frustrates me that this is reported solely in terms of being something to the benefit of, for example, Chelsea. 

Where are we getting the immediate capital for Omari Kellyman? Do we just have £19m sat in the bank? With all our other outgoings? 

PSR encourages recklessness.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

It frustrates me that this is reported solely in terms of being something to the benefit of, for example, Chelsea. 

Where are we getting the immediate capital for Omari Kellyman? Do we just have £19m sat in the bank? With all our other outgoings? 

PSR encourages recklessness.

The whole PSR experiment is flawed. 

It needs ripping down and a system that promotes keeping your youth players and making something of them than cashing in to satisfy an arbitrary figure plucked from the sky by a corrupt organisation scared of Governments intervention. 

• Agree 1

On 22/06/2024 at 19:58, martin1905 said:

I've heard will will get Duran for a lot less than the reported £40m now. 

Two players for a total of £40m both spread over 5 year contracts whilst we get £37m for Maatsen as pure profit.

Say what you like about this lot but they are exploiting loopholes better than anyone.

What a bunch of geniuses. Selling a CL final LB for two lottery tickets. If this happened at Liverpool we would all be on the floor laughing. 

The only loophole here is that they think they are cleverer than they are. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

What a bunch of geniuses. Selling a CL final LB for two lottery tickets. If this happened at Liverpool we would all be on the floor laughing. 

Oh come on Dave ! This is Maatsen you're taking about , he's five foot six and has barely figured for us at left back because of it .

Our owners aren't the best owners ever but everything they do good or bad is being criticised before it has chance to reach fruition .

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Selling a CL final LB for two lottery tickets

So playing in a CL final is the benchmark of whether or not someone is any good? 

I presume Liverpool were mad to let Djimi Traore or Loris Karius slip their fingers? I guess we were mad to let Bosingwa go, and not keep Bertrand for the LW spot when we bought Hazard? 

I am being facetious but I think most sane people would consider 375.m for Maatsen as good business.

If you want to take it further, Maatsen made 2 defensive errors to cost his team that final BTW.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

34 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

So playing in a CL final is the benchmark of whether or not someone is any good? 

I presume Liverpool were mad to let Djimi Traore or Loris Karius slip their fingers? I guess we were mad to let Bosingwa go, and not keep Bertrand for the LW spot when we bought Hazard? 

I am being facetious but I think most sane people would consider 375.m for Maatsen as good business.

If you want to take it further, Maatsen made 2 defensive errors to cost his team that final BTW.

£375m would solve all of our PSR problems, that's for sure. 

Edited by Ham
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Marc Guiu from Barcelona for €6m (it’s his release clause), sounds like it’s nearly done.

Does anyone know anything about him?! He’s a striker apparently, 18 years old with 7 appearances for the first team and 2 goals.

Was reading Marca comments from an article on this.

Some Barca fans don’t think much of him as he hasn’t set the world alight even in the youth team and other fans are annoyed at how Barca spent a shit load of money recently on a Brazilian striker who is of similar age but again, who’s not done much but were okay to let this guy leave.

In conclusion - I don’t have a clue…

Edited by Miguelito07
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Marc Guiu from Barcelona for €6m (it’s his release clause), sounds like it’s nearly done.

Does anyone know anything about him?! He’s a striker apparently, 18 years old with 7 appearances for the first team and 2 goals.

21 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

Was reading Marca comments from an article on this.

Some Barca fans don’t think much of him as he hasn’t set the world alight even in the youth team and other fans are annoyed at how Barca spent a shit load of money recently on a Brazilian striker who is of similar age but again, who’s not done much but were okay to let this guy leave.

In conclusion - I don’t have a clue…

Only additional thing I have read is that Bayern were interested too apparently. 

5 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

This is what they were briefing journos in December 2023:

David Ornstein: "Chelsea are actually two windows into a four-window strategy. So we're being told to wait until the first of September 2024 to really judge this new regime around recruitment, which is being led by Lawrence Stewart and Paul Winstanley, the sporting directors, Mauricio Pochettino will input into that, but he won't have any kind of increased influence in January. They may do some business, whether it be in January or the summer for a new forward. Maybe a centre-half as well because I would expect Thiago Silva not to have his contract renewed, and we should also keep an eye on Conor Gallagher 18 months to go on his contract. Normally that's the stage at which you renew or let players go if there are suitable offers. He's a homegrown player as well which is crucial for their financial fair play situation and also they're well-stocked in midfield."

I'm sure Omari Kellyman for 20m was always part of the masterplan! 

• Haha 1

Guiu - 

6"2, big lump, very physical. Plays on the shoulder of the last man, great in the air. Essentially the opposite of what you would expect a Barcelona striker to be like, and looks more suited to the Prem in all honestly. 

Quick(ish), aggressive, good finisher, needs to work on his movement as he is very much box-focused and won't drop deep or out wide to collect the ball so needs to be fed. 

For £6m looks a bargain. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Reports suggesting Gilchrist will go out on loan next season, which I think is the right move.

Como, who are managed by Fabregas are apparently interested as well as PNE.

Lake Como or Preston.  Tough one 🤔

• Haha 4

On 23/06/2024 at 19:31, Palmeiras_Fan said:

I will confess to you that there is talk in Brazil that Chelsea might not be the best destination for the kid. 

I can guarantee you that Chelsea is not the best destination for him. 

On 24/06/2024 at 09:31, MickyDroy said:

I have to say i'm surprised the owners are still doubling down on the "exclusively youth" strategy. Especially after losing Thiago and likely Chalobah and Gallagher before the windows shut. The latter two are quite young themselves obviously but there is quite a bit of experience between those 3 and we seem to be looking at teenagers to replace them. For example by bringing a wildcard in Andrey Santos back from loan and fast-tracking him into the first team.

I know there's a business plan behind it all but Champions League football must be the goal this year and I would have loved to see a couple of experienced heads coming in the door to help us achieve that.

You and me both. A successful team needs balance and diversity. We have neither. Experience is something we are crying out for. Perhaps it’s in their master plan, time will tell. 

On 24/06/2024 at 10:03, Max Fowler said:

Let me make one thing clear. I am also excited about Paez and Estevao. Of course, we don’t know how they are going to turn out, but it seems like we’ve done great to get them both.

I’ll get excited when/if either manages 40 apps for us over the next five years. I think it’s highly unlikely both will manage that. 

5 hours ago, Ham said:

As has been pointed out before, he's not the best defensively and he's only 5'7". He catches the eye going forward but that's about it. 

Cucurella may not be particularly tall but he's surprisingly good in the air. 

£37m for a player who's been out on loan with one year left on his contract is awesome business. 

So what? Is the sole role of a LB to be good in the air? I rate Maatsen. I rated Livramento. I rated Tomori. I rated Guehi. I rated Abraham. I rated Hall. Somehow there was always people ready to make excuses for the clubs decision to sell them. These players are good enough to be starting in rotation for us. Instead we waste top dollars on players that are unlikely to ever feature for us. 

Im calling it as I see it. Our strategy is wank. 

5 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Oh come on Dave ! This is Maatsen you're taking about , he's five foot six and has barely figured for us at left back because of it .

And that is a massive failure on our behalf. 

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

what's that got to do with the point I made?

Well if he does start games ahead of Connor or Caseido and continues to be toilet, then one might suspect the new coach is taking direction from above. Let not shy away from Poch being released was partly down to not playing a brand of football the sporting department wanted. 

I have no idea if Guiu is worth signing or not, but the club has a big problem in terms of development. Already last season we had players dropped into the development squad because we couldn't get them loans. For next season we can loan 6 players overseas from this group, not including the U21 homegrown players that are exempt from this restriction:

• Lukaku
  • Kepa
  • Sarr
  • Broja
  • Anjorin
  • Bergström
  • D Fofana
  • Andrey Santos
  • Slonina
  • Moreira
  • Angelo
  • Deivid Washington
  • Dujuan Richards

Maybe we manage to sell or release the first six players on this list, but we will be stuck trying to find spots for the remaining players on the list, not to mention any new signings.

3 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Well if he does start games ahead of Connor or Caseido and continues to be toilet, then one might suspect the new coach is taking direction from above. Let not shy away from Poch being released was partly down to not playing a brand of football the sporting department wanted. 

What about not being able to coach and being a 24 carat loser wherever he's been , isn't that the main reason? 

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Again, not the point I made.

It's funny how some suggest Enzo was only playing because of the board wanting him to, but don't apply the same logic to the other expensive players who were often left out (over cheaper alternatives) 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, chiswickblue said:

I have no idea if Guiu is worth signing or not, but the club has a big problem in terms of development. Already last season we had players dropped into the development squad because we couldn't get them loans. For next season we can loan 6 players overseas from this group, not including the U21 homegrown players that are exempt from this restriction:

• Lukaku
  • Kepa
  • Sarr
  • Broja
  • Anjorin
  • Bergström
  • D Fofana
  • Andrey Santos
  • Slonina
  • Moreira
  • Angelo
  • Deivid Washington
  • Dujuan Richards

Maybe we manage to sell or release the first six players on this list, but we will be stuck trying to find spots for the remaining players on the list, not to mention any new signings.

The club position for players like Lukaku or Kepa is going to have to be "agree a permanent move or stay in our reserves for the year". And that will not be a financially easy position to take. Like you say, it is a mess and underlines, for me, how stupid signing the likes of Moreira, Washington and Angelo were.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Strasbourg found the money to buy Angelo outright.