Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

43 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

The club position for players like Lukaku or Kepa is going to have to be "agree a permanent move or stay in our reserves for the year". And that will not be a financially easy position to take. Like you say, it is a mess and underlines, for me, how stupid signing the likes of Moreira, Washington and Angelo were.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Strasbourg found the money to buy Angelo outright.

Or how stupid the signings of Kepa and Lukaku were? No? 

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

They seem to be permanently cross so I expect not 

You are right Mark.... hadn't really thought about it but think you are right...I seem to remember from my brief sojourn in the City many years ago getting that sort of vague vibe generally..an impression that has lingered since then.

Question..has there been any real Chelsea benefits from the association?...just asking as I miss stuff!

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

The club position for players like Lukaku or Kepa is going to have to be "agree a permanent move or stay in our reserves for the year". And that will not be a financially easy position to take. Like you say, it is a mess and underlines, for me, how stupid signing the likes of Moreira, Washington and Angelo were.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Strasbourg found the money to buy Angelo outright.

I'm not a fan of the multi-club model and I completely understand why the Strasbourg fans are up in arms, but I don't know why Chelsea are making the speculative signings of young players directly. Surely these players should be signing for Strasbourg, playing there for 1-2 years and if they are good enough they then move to Chelsea.

Signing them for Chelsea directly clogs up the club's own development system and limits available loan options and also development squad limits.

I understand why Chelsea sign Estevo and Kendry Paez, but Moreira, Angelo, Washington etc. should be starting in France

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

No.

I'm not too bothered by arguing the toss about the wisdom of signing either player. It doesn't really matter to the point I made. You play the cards you are dealt. If you inherit a squad that will limit how many young players you can send on loan, you don't buy more young players in need of minutes than you can loan out. 

It's easy to point at decisions made before this ownership but they did their due diligence and the decisions they make about what they inherited are on them.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

[Snipped for brevity]

I understand why Chelsea sign Estevo and Kendry Paez, but Moreira, Angelo, Washington etc. should be starting in France

I'm not personally sure myself without checking through various web sites (which I don't have time to do just now), but didn't we buy those players before we finalised the deal with Strasbourg?

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Quite. Signing Lukaku was one of the biggest debacles this club has ever been guilty of. I’m not sure how we thought this would end any different to where we are now? 

The only signing I can find that’s dumber is the signing of Kepa. I mean come on, he’s at best a second choice GK at a club like Chelsea. At best. At his worst I’d rather Bergström. 

On 18/05/2024 at 03:02, Bison said:

They have already signed Kendry Paez (who plays the exact same position) for £17m. Based on reports and clips I've seen, Paez is by far the better prospect.

With all due respect, that is highly arguable.

Peaz plays in a far less competitive league than Estêvão, for a a team with far smaller ambitions and prospects than Estêvão's.

Estêvão is having to prove himself against much tougher opposition in Brazil and is suceeding in it.

The difference between the Brazilian league and the Ecuadorian league is ABYSMAL.

Edited by Palmeiras_Fan

3 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Quite. Signing Lukaku was one of the biggest debacles this club has ever been guilty of. I’m not sure how we thought this would end any different to where we are now? 

The only signing I can find that’s dumber is the signing of Kepa. I mean come on, he’s at best a second choice GK at a club like Chelsea. At best. At his worst I’d rather Bergström. 

Kepa was like one of those times on eBay when you get outbid for the item you want, and then you spend the next half hour trying to buy something inferior for even more.

We should have just stepped away from the computer and put Coronation Street on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

What about not being able to coach and being a 24 carat loser wherever he's been , isn't that the main reason? 

Let's see what the new coach brings and if he can win those 4 additional games ensure CL spot. 

I am sure you will be 100% supportive of him in the matchday forums regardless of how the team play and results.

VAR, poor referees, injuries, are always available for an excuse 

11 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Again, not the point I made.

It's funny how some suggest Enzo was only playing because of the board wanting him to, but don't apply the same logic to the other expensive players who were often left out (over cheaper alternatives) 

No sure if you are talking past tense now with regards to cheaper alternatives. 

With Enzo 3 coaches have fail to make him look anything like a player who cost a king ransom. In his 18 months at Chelsea. Realistically Enzo has maybe played  a dozen games where he's looking like a top player controlling the game. 

Anyway look forward to seeing if Enzo is first on the team sheet as the new Jorginiho with the coach implementing another version of Sarri ball. 

5 hours ago, ROTG said:

Let's see what the new coach brings and if he can win those 4 additional games ensure CL spot. 

I am sure you will be 100% supportive of him in the matchday forums regardless of how the team play and results.

VAR, poor referees, injuries, are always available for an excuse 

As I've said before , the matchday forum is not a place for reflection it's a place for observation and venting one's frustrations with ones mates , as you would know if you had any. 

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

No.

I'm not too bothered by arguing the toss about the wisdom of signing either player. It doesn't really matter to the point I made. You play the cards you are dealt. If you inherit a squad that will limit how many young players you can send on loan, you don't buy more young players in need of minutes than you can loan out. 

It's easy to point at decisions made before this ownership but they did their due diligence and the decisions they make about what they inherited are on them.

I take your point, but I guess this potentially where Strasbourg comes into it. Also, if we can offload those two huge financial millstones, it will alleviate the problem. 

13 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

It amuses me when the owners gets criticised for the long 7 or 8 year contracts to 21 year old players on 100k a week (or whatever the exact number is) but 28 year old Lukaku getting a 5 year deal on circa 350k seems to almost fly under the radar

• Agree 2

20 hours ago, ROTG said:

Well if he does start games ahead of Connor or Caseido and continues to be toilet, then one might suspect the new coach is taking direction from above. Let not shy away from Poch being released was partly down to not playing a brand of football the sporting department wanted. 

Utter nonsense and you know it, you little tinker! Poch was sacked because of his dearth  of any coaching input and a consequent absence of any "brand" of football. Our season was saved by an accidental formation change and the intrinsic quality of the players.

All of which you fully understand, but your need to create spurious debate drives your voluminous posting of provocative nonsense. 

As I have said before, I'm on to you, you mischievous imp!

21 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I can guarantee you that Chelsea is not the best destination for him. 

You and me both. A successful team needs balance and diversity. We have neither. Experience is something we are crying out for. Perhaps it’s in their master plan, time will tell. 

I’ll get excited when/if either manages 40 apps for us over the next five years. I think it’s highly unlikely both will manage that. 

So what? Is the sole role of a LB to be good in the air? I rate Maatsen. I rated Livramento. I rated Tomori. I rated Guehi. I rated Abraham. I rated Hall. Somehow there was always people ready to make excuses for the clubs decision to sell them. These players are good enough to be starting in rotation for us. Instead we waste top dollars on players that are unlikely to ever feature for us. 

Im calling it as I see it. Our strategy is wank. 

And that is a massive failure on our behalf. 

Dave, your relentless optimism is an inspiration!

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Again, not the point I made.

It's funny how some suggest Enzo was only playing because of the board wanting him to, but don't apply the same logic to the other expensive players who were often left out (over cheaper alternatives) 

It's because it's totally made up to satisfy the rigid opinions held about the ownership and the "football board".