Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

11 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

I actually really liked what I saw of Desbury-Hall when he played for Leicester in the Premier league, technically he's very, very good.

He's not a flashy signing, neither was Cole Palmer who I was pretty much a lone voice in trying to convince people how good he was, but he could be a very good signing.

Will be 26 shortly after the season starts has premier league experience, has played for the new manager in his system and excelled.

He's a very good player but I guess just not high profile enough to get people excited.

I’m not against signing him, but I’m equally not dancing in the street. I think he’s a good player and he was someone who caught my eye when he broke into the Leicester team when they were in the PL.

I think the lack of excitement is down to him not necessarily improving on what we have already, although he will understand Maresca’s system, which will be a plus.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, patThenevin said:

Don't worry, some people/fans/consumers will always try and say they see sense where there is absolutely none in the omnishambles that is todd and co

From champions league winners to hiring championship managers and now signings.

Hilarious if it were not for the £1billion cost and being what was our club

1) Not £1bn.   Certainly not on the squad. 

2) What is your issue with the squad we've built? Is it bad?

24 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I’m not against signing him, but I’m equally not dancing in the street. I think he’s a good player and he was someone who caught my eye when he broke into the Leicester team when they were in the PL.

I think the lack of excitement is down to him not necessarily improving on what we have already, although he will understand Maresca’s system, which will be a plus.

But he may well do just that.

We had three fit cm's last season. Even with Lavia potentially being fit we still need more with Maresca favouring a three man midfield. 

If the choice is Ugochukwu, Santos or Dewsbury-Hall I know which one I'm picking.

56 minutes ago, Ham said:

It is close. In fact I'd say it's the other way around. Enzo is by far the better player with the highest ceiling. Let's talk again in the middle of next season. 

There's no start to it. 

It was a non story.  

Indeed. Let’s talk then. Listen - if he shapes up and actually proves to be worth half of the ridiculous fee we paid, I’ll be thrilled. 💀✌️💯

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Ziyech… signed with such promise, had a wand of a left foot, but to be fair not a lot else and looked like he’d rather be doing anything other than being paid hundreds of thousands of pounds a week to play for Chelsea Football Club.

See ya!

Absolute wanker. ✌️🩷🩶

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Ziyech… signed with such promise, had a wand of a left foot, but to be fair not a lot else and looked like he’d rather be doing anything other than being paid hundreds of thousands of pounds a week to play for Chelsea Football Club.

See ya!

Wand of a left foot.

Absolutely no right foot. 

Made him the easiest player on earth to defend against. 

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

But he may well do just that.

We had three fit cm's last season. Even with Lavia potentially being fit we still need more with Maresca favouring a three man midfield. 

If the choice is Ugochukwu, Santos or Dewsbury-Hall I know which one I'm picking.

Absolutely. I’m not against signing him, I’m just suggesting why I think we’re not seeing loads of excitement.

Premiership experience, experience of playing the new coaches system and he’s English. He ticks a lot of boxes.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, martin1905 said:

I actually really liked what I saw of Desbury-Hall when he played for Leicester in the Premier league, technically he's very, very good.

He's not a flashy signing, neither was Cole Palmer who I was pretty much a lone voice in trying to convince people how good he was, but he could be a very good signing.

Will be 26 shortly after the season starts has premier league experience, has played for the new manager in his system and excelled.

He's a very good player but I guess just not high profile enough to get people excited.

Not every good player needs to be high profile... I'd rather a Gary Cahill or Azpilicuetta over a Shevchenko

If Muresca wants Dewsbury-Hall then I don't see a problem with bringing in one player who understands his 'system'... so long as we don't do what we did with Conte (which I can't see happening with the current DoFs)

• Agree 3

13 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Hutchinson off to Ipswich for £22m.

13 hours ago, Ham said:

Another one out who we will regret selling in a season or two. 

Hall, Hutchinson and Maatsen - all three good enough to be part of the squad. What good will 87,5m do when we buy players who are not better prospects for the proceeds? Maatsen to Villa hurts the most - why are we directly strengthening a direct competitor next season? 

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Another one out who we will regret selling in a season or two. 

Hall, Hutchinson and Maatsen - all three good enough to be part of the squad. What good will 87,5m do when we buy players who are not better prospects for the proceeds? Maatsen to Villa hurts the most - why are we directly strengthening a direct competitor next season? 

Cucurella and Chilwell have 4 years and 3 years left on their deals. They are on wages nobody else in their right mind would pay them. We're going to lose at least another one or two decent LB prospects because those two can't be moved on.

16 minutes ago, Bison said:

Cucurella and Chilwell have 4 years and 3 years left on their deals. They are on wages nobody else in their right mind would pay them. We're going to lose at least another one or two decent LB prospects because those two can't be moved on.

Cucurella was the best left back in the league the year we signed him, was very good most of last season,  absolutely brilliant at the back end and currently the best left back at the Euros.

I'm quite happy he can't be moved on and if we lose one or two prospects then so be it, we have one of the best around which is far more important than worrying about the odd kid who may or may not turn out to be anything at all.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, JaneB said:

This is a truly dreadful signing. Not a comment on the kid, no idea how good he is and my view that he is unlikely to ever offer us anything is purely based on vanishingly few kids making it at PL standard and not him specifically. It is more what it represents, in terms of who we are as a club now and where football is going. There is no way this kid is worth the reported £19m, or even a quarter of that, and no one involved thinks that either. It makes a mockery of the idea that selling Maatsen, Hutchinson etc. is good business, because that business doesn't exist in a vacuum.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, thevelourfog said:

This is a truly dreadful signing. Not a comment on the kid, no idea how good he is and my view that he is unlikely to ever offer us anything is purely based on vanishingly few kids making it at PL standard and not him specifically. It is more what it represents, in terms of who we are as a club now and where football is going. There is no way this kid is worth the reported £19m, or even a quarter of that, and no one involved thinks that either. It makes a mockery of the idea that selling Maatsen, Hutchinson etc. is good business, because that business doesn't exist in a vacuum.

I think this one is entirely on the Premier league to be honest . It's an accounting signing , scratching someone's back so they scratch ours in turn.

1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think this one is entirely on the Premier league to be honest . It's an accounting signing , scratching someone's back so they scratch ours in turn.

Well, the accounting need is ours and that is on us, but I do agree the PL is causing a big problem. We can't crow about a £37m (or whatever the reporting is) fee for Maatsen, a player I agree was never likely to contribute that much here, when getting that fee was entirely contingent on giving £19m of it back straight away. I've said it before, but where is that £19m coming from? We don't just have it sat in the bank, so what is it secured against? 

It's a dangerous way to do business, even the football considerations aside.

• Agree 2