Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

3 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Time to go yet, but so far I must say our signings have been underwhelming to say the least. Not one signed who looks a clear upgrade on what we already have.

Our first 11 is superb so it would be difficult to upgrade on any of those without going into insane mode again.  

I'm happy with the strength of the remainder of the squad.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, chiswickblue said:

+Deivid Washington, Ronnie Stutter, Jimmy-Jay Morgan, Donnell McNeilly, Dujuan Richards

I'm seeing players signed in positions we already have depth in. These are opportunistic signings, without any clear plan on how they will affect the first team or how they will affect pathways for younger players. This despite the loan restrictions greatly limiting how many players we can sign and then loan.

None of these will play any meaningful minutes for the first team and we need to accept that the strategy is to flip these for a profit e.g. Omari Hutchinson 

26 minutes ago, Ham said:

Our first 11 is superb so it would be difficult to upgrade on any of those without going into insane mode again.  

The team has a lot of potential but at the moment that's all we can really say.

James and Chilly are the only players who've proven themselves as top draw premiership players and as we know both are extremely injury prone. Our keepers are back-up level and we don't have an established CB pairing.  Mudryk needs to step up big time this season too! 

1 minute ago, boratsbrother said:

The team has a lot of potential but at the moment that's all we can really say.

James and Chilly are the only players who've proven themselves as top draw premiership players and as we know both are extremely injury prone. Our keepers are back-up level and we don't have an established CB pairing.  Mudryk needs to step up big time this season too! 

Yeah. Assuming we can keep Chilwell, James and Fofana fit, I think we are looking good.  

Our best back 4 IMO is;

LB Chilwell (if fit)/Cucurella 

LCB Colwill

RCB Fofana 

RB James

Some will call for Gusto at RB but despite the good season he had, he's not even close to being in the same class as a fully fit RJ. 

5 hours ago, Bison said:

Sometimes I feel like we're living in an alternate reality. Nico Jackson can't hold the ball up with his back to play? And even funnier, an 18 year kid from Spain could do that instead? 

No, don't misunderstand me. I'm saying Jackson and Nkunku are both our strikers for next season but that neither are especially good at holding the ball up and playing with their back to goal as befitting a great big lump of a target man up top to ping corners toward. They probably both could do it but it's fair to say that isn't what they are known for, or what they are especially good at. That really is not either of their respective games. Guiu on the other hand, that's basically all he is. It's what he does. 

I would double down and say that Guiu probably is better at being the big focal point target man up top, holding the ball up, pulling defenders wide away and winning the headers, winning those knockdowns etc, than Nkunku or Jackson.  Just as Guiu would be hopeless if you asked him to play on the shoulder of the left sided centrehalf and run into space down that left side, beat his man for pace and cut inside, look up and play the ball into the box, which is much more a Jackson thing.  Or making late runs into the box and timing those little diagonal runs perfectly, which is more Nkunku's game. 

We missed having that focal point up top, a big aggressive striker to knock crosses into, last season at times. 

I don't think that is an especially controversial observation, do you? 

2 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Tosin, possibly? Though whether our defence was just poor or down to bad coaching is something we’ll find out, I guess. That we kept conceding the same type of goal and looked fragile all the time would point to the latter. I do like Axel and Badabingbadaboom but I think that like Gusto, Tosin could be a very smart buy.  

Let me tell you a story about an International centre half who became a coach.... 

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

@patThenevin Careful how you word things or if you mean it how it comes across, cut it out as not needed or acceptable.

I mean I could refer you back to a balanced post a week or two back and getting a ratners level response from golden balls that lacked any type of input other than a sad, little blithe response about how fun id be at a party from said posted. Sorry for finding his post laughable in the extreme earlier. Again extremely supplicant and without balance of thought to excuse the yank financiers latest blathering attempts to do football. 

Right little boys club this place has become 

......all whilst the club descends futher into a laughing stock.

Wouldn't care normally but some fans are being that obligingly bovine in what and what they won't tolerate by way of cticism towards the abject mistake collective in charge of the club that frankly I have very little respect for said posters, particularly in light of what I have referred to at the top.

But hey ho, reality or positing on here.....come sloany pony season I know what adds far more value to following Chels.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, xceleryx said:

What do you want exactly? 

If both go on to perform and double their value for arguments sake, you still going to complain about how much was spent on the pair? 

Would you prefer seeing us spend £100m + wages on a big flashy name with no greater certainty to pan out? And hell, we've had our grand share of those over the years.

IF

Being your operative word

Given the mass of number and the success rates thus far of the player commodity trading club, that is a huge IF

And again, we've replaced seasoned players sold on the cheap (not that none of you lot of a certain persuasion bothered to address that in my post....dewsbury hall for more than double RLC? Hilarious), with comparative nobodys at top price. 

If you and some of the others on here want to continue to fanfare and excuse this mess, fill your soppery boots son 

Club is a mess and you lot deep down know it. Let's see where we are come November and I'll save my time with some of you. Enjoy the denial.

Edited by patThenevin

32 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Let me tell you a story about an International centre half who became a coach.... 

Mark...let me tell you about a coach who became an International centre half,,,Green Line as I recall and could always be relied on to park in front of goal!

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, patThenevin said:

Exactly what it meant.

You grouped Conor and clever Trev in with the kepa and burger boy without a thought.

Tbf it's an apologist state of myopia to do something like this and then post that response. 

Exactly what it meant being "special needs?"

Just for being positive about the direction the club is going.

Jog on Trotsky.  

27 minutes ago, patThenevin said:

I mean I could refer you back to a balanced post a week or two back and getting a ratners level response from golden balls that lacked any type of input other than a sad, little blithe response about how fun id be at a party from said posted. Sorry for finding his post laughable in the extreme earlier. Again extremely supplicant and without balance of thought to excuse the yank financiers latest blathering attempts to do football. 

Right little boys club this place has become 

......all whilst the club descends futher into a laughing stock.

Wouldn't care normally but some fans are being that obligingly bovine in what and what they won't tolerate by way of cticism towards the abject mistake collective in charge of the club that frankly I have very little respect for said posters, particularly in light of what I have referred to at the top.

But hey ho, reality or positing on here.....come sloany pony season I know what adds far more value to following Chels.

Big difference between "You'd be fun at parties" due to your continual negativity and calling someone "Special" for being positive. 

4 hours ago, Ham said:

So winning 4 more games in the PL next season and qualifying for CL is a stroll in the park. Especially as all the game changers are now fit and available?

3 hours ago, patThenevin said:

There you go. And who says debate dead....

If you respond in a certain way, you get it back. 

Screenshot_20240703_192104_Chrome.jpg

Warning Will Robertson. 
the pack is circling. You are writing things that are not part of their agenda.

The world under toddles,  eggy  and TBSD if flawless. Just hold on until 2030. 

12 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Warning Will Robertson. 
the pack is circling. You are writing things that are not part of their agenda.

The world under toddles,  eggy  and TBSD if flawless. Just hold on until 2030. 

Nothing to do with any agenda. The majority on here disagree with me on how the club is being run. Nobody is clipping the wings of the majority 

It's about going too far with his insults. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Cycling is never talked about on this forum,  so I hope the mods don't mind me saying something about Mark Cavendish on here rather than start a thread elsewhere.

Winning today at the Tour De France at the age of 39 to break the all-time record most wins is a truly remarkable sporting achievement!  He's had so much bad luck with injury and illness over the last half dozen years or so which robbed him of more wins, ,but he never gave up. I dont like to compare the greatness of different sports, but Cav has to be right up there amongst the all-time sporting greats!

I went to the 'other sports' bit of the forum to post about this, but there was no cycling thread, and couldn't be bothered to start one.  

As a child I spent all my summers in France at my grandparent's house, and the "background noise" was the Tour... Poulidor, Anquetil, Gimondi, Tom Simpson and of course Merckx.  I've followed it on TV ever since and was fortunate to be one of the accredited photographers for the Pearl Izumi Tour Series some ten or so years ago. What Cav has done is beyond words, and as you rightly say, who knows how many more stage wins he might have got had it not been for injuries and ill health recently. 

For a long time, nobody thought anyone would get close to Eddie Merckx's 34 stage wins. Cav now has 35, and I wouldn't mind betting he adds at least one more before this Tour is done. He may be 39 but today he looked like the Mark Cavendish of ten years ago.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, east lower said:

And there's the real crux of the argument, in so much as:

1. Are we a football club first and fore mostly, that function's primarily to be successful on the pitch with the commercial profits as a follow-on from that success on the pitch - or:
  2. Are we a commercial enterprise that might win football related competitions if the stars align 

I knew what we were three seasons ago, and I think I know where we are now. I don't care too much if a player increases value, if we were to sell him, that's a bonus - My primary wish is that he helps us achieve success on the pitch. I'm not sure the owners share that point of view

While this is fair, seeing players value increase generally also means they're performing well enough for that to happen. That should hopefully mean the team is also doing well. 

This was more the viewpoint I was putting out there.