Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

4 hours ago, xceleryx said:

While this is fair, seeing players value increase generally also means they're performing well enough for that to happen. That should hopefully mean the team is also doing well. 

This was more the viewpoint I was putting out there.

Worked ok for Brighton’s bank balance, and I suppose success may be relative but they’ve not got near to what I’d define as success. Got Southampton relegated in the end. 

The owners of the club must at some time in the next 1-5 years get a ROI, flipping players isn’t going to achieve that alone. Success on the pitch might do though, through the associated corporate deals that would be made. 

You can potentially see some ‘method in the madness’ when you see deals like the Hutchinson go through. But, there’s going to be one that goes the other way. There’s one of the latter chugging its way up to the horizon fairly shortly (in my opinion) and that one could cost the club tens of millions.

1 hour ago, east lower said:

Worked ok for Brighton’s bank balance, and I suppose success may be relative but they’ve not got near to what I’d define as success. Got Southampton relegated in the end. 

The owners of the club must at some time in the next 1-5 years get a ROI, flipping players isn’t going to achieve that alone. Success on the pitch might do though, through the associated corporate deals that would be made. 

You can potentially see some ‘method in the madness’ when you see deals like the Hutchinson go through. But, there’s going to be one that goes the other way. There’s one of the latter chugging its way up to the horizon fairly shortly (in my opinion) and that one could cost the club tens of millions.

Flipping players is going to remain a big part what we do, because it's something we need to do, due to other limitations elsewhere - ie; Stamford Bridge. 

We did this under Roman's time here, and this group have taken that sort of model and gone one or two steps further to try and not only garner it as a more sustained stream of revenue, but for it to also hopefully produce players a internal succession line where players can step in and replace those we sell, retire, drop off, etc. 

Just one of those situations where it does take time. You certainly wouldn't plant a tree and then complain it's not the size of something that's had 10 years to grow. 

6 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Flipping players is going to remain a big part what we do, because it's something we need to do, due to other limitations elsewhere - ie; Stamford Bridge. 

We did this under Roman's time here, and this group have taken that sort of model and gone one or two steps further to try and not only garner it as a more sustained stream of revenue, but for it to also hopefully produce players a internal succession line where players can step in and replace those we sell, retire, drop off, etc. 

Just one of those situations where it does take time. You certainly wouldn't plant a tree and then complain it's not the size of something that's had 10 years to grow. 

The Stamford Bridge development will not fill the cavernous void of billions of pounds invested . I worked the numbers a few times on here, but let's say that a new-ground/re-development nets us an extra 20'000 fans per game paying an average of £85 per seat = £1.7m per game x 19 games = an additional £32m per season+ revenue gained from merchandising & food, less costs of extra staff, stewarding, policing etc. The new ground will cost billion/s. It will never pay for itself.

You've also got to fill those seats and I am not sure we can currently, some games were not selling out in the last third of the last season. Our fan base is not as big as some of our London based rivals and it pains me to say that.

Bottom line is I can't see how they make this viable without success on the pitch, not the odd cup but regular PL Titles and CL winning teams.

UNLESS there are other plans for massive revenue growth that none of us know about - and that's my guess that some sort of Super League will take shape in the next 10 years and the owners here plan to be part of that.

I agree that the stadium will cost much more than it generates. They are banking on the idea that the club's growth (part of which is the new stadium) will result in additional sponsorship, merchandising and money from activities that are not directly related to football.

@Sciatika & @east lower

Interesting posts,,,, I can see an increased income from not directly (and) related to football but I wonder if the future has a base source for another 20,000 fans?

A Super League is..imho..some way in the future as with the present generations of football followers the Tribal and localised competition is at the root of all interest and whilst the Euro competitions are important only a small group can compete every season.

As a staunch less than glamour club supporter would I want my comfortable local side to be competing abroad every other week.?..over simplified but I hope my point is not too obscure.

As the generations move on I think the younger followers will have a far wider range of competing activities and the media based viewing will probably increase to the detriment of live game attendances coupled with a tapering off of grass roots playing activity.

Again imho a long term strategy would be better off improving facilities rather than expanding capacity...a short term in possible spectator revenue,,not that much of an income improvement against a long view,,and I don't mean 10 years or so rather a time when even the youngest of our members hit the real OG milestones.

A totally different scenario to the one we are accustomed to and grew up with.....just thoughts,

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Maybe he’ll be the left sided Gusto, as I hadn’t heard of him but the scouts got that signing pretty spot on.

Off the top of my head, here is a list of players we have bought in the past who I knew nothing or close to nothing about when they signed, or when they were first linked:

Leboeuf, Flo, Cudicini, Di Matteo, Poyet, Gallas, Tiago, Cech, Alex, Ivanovic, Gusto, Alonso (other than he played for Bolton), Oscar, Azpilicueta, Jackson

Am sure there are more........ could throw Drogba into that list bar than watching a couple of Marseille games. 

Edited by paulw66
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Off the top of my head, here is a list of players we have bought in the past who I knew nothing or close to nothing about when they signed, or when they were first linked:

Leboeuf, Flo, Cudicini, Di Matteo, Poyet, Gallas, Tiago, Cech, Alex, Ivanovic, Gusto, Alonso (other than he played for Bolton), Oscar, Azpilicueta, Jackson

Am sure there are more........ could throw Drogba into that list bar than watching a couple of Marseille games. 

Yep, I think I could add loads more to that list as well. Even more if I didn’t used to play championship/football manager as well!

40 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I'd never heard of Peter Cech either. Or Ivanovic..........or plenty of others that have turned out ok.

Yeah, it's not a bad thing necessarily. Just increasingly rare nowadays. Hopefully the scouts have found a gem.

Seems to be quite divisive amongst Basel fans online though. Few saying he is technically very good but not much substance yet... and a bit of an attitude problem. 

27 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

Does this mean Chilwell is off, or will this guy be going on loan?

Been rumblings that he may well be off. I'd have mixed feelings about it as I rate him, but his injury record is shocking and he looked a bit less convincing after his most recent injury return (although, I don't think he was fully fit).

I think Cucurella is more suited to what Maresca wants to do and on recent form, he's our number 1 left back now, IMO.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ham said:

Or so it seemed. 

He was here a while, but the one memory that stands out for me was his goal as a substitute against Arsenal. Jose was absolutely delighted, strange how things work out, or don’t! 

Edited by east lower

14 minutes ago, east lower said:

He was here a while, but the one memory that stands out for me was his goal as a substitute against Arsenal. Jose was absolutely delighted, strange how things work out, or don’t! 

I didn't give up on him while he was with us. 

I was disappointed at the time he wasn't given a chance.  

3 hours ago, Lump Of Celery said:

players that Maresca apparently wants to have.

I doubt he has any saying who comes in. If that were the case why did the club get rid of poch and what he did with a bag of dolly mixtures. 

Edited by ROTG

Just now, Chelsea_Matt said:

You don’t think KDH was a Maresca signing? Seriously?! 💀👀💯✌️

I will answer your question, when Conor returns from the euros. 

I was all for D-H last season as a loan / option to purchase squad, now he seem to be the mascara player, however if poch had stayed do you believe he would have been on his list?