Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

5 hours ago, Ham said:

I was being a bit tongue in cheek but we have been short in recent years.  We've been shocking from set pieces at both ends. 

I'm not having it that he's only 20 lol

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Floyd25 said:

No one currently, but Renato Veiga certainly isn’t an upgrade on Ian Maatsen. 

And you know this for certain? 

Let's not pretend Maatsen is prime Roberto Carlos either, he's undersized and defensively unimpressive. 

Not really the profile of fullback we're in desperate need of. 

42 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Let's not pretend Maatsen is prime Roberto Carlos either, he's undersized and defensively unimpressive. 

Veiga looks like a player that (hopefully ) wont be intimidated 

49 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Agreed, but Veiga’s a midfielder being used as an inverted left back & he looks pretty raw. Not writing him off at all, just saying it’s debatable whether he’ll be ready for this level or not. 

1 hour ago, Floyd25 said:

Agreed, but Veiga’s a midfielder being used as an inverted left back & he looks pretty raw. Not writing him off at all, just saying it’s debatable whether he’ll be ready for this level or not. 

Maybe we need to look at it more from the perspective of he's a defensive midfielder that's capable of playing a little bit at both fullback and central defence - should it be required. This may allow us to loan out Ugo for some much needed football, still gives us some DM cover, while also gives us an additional option at fullback should Chilwell miss more games again. Therefore saving us from shuttling Colwill from a central role to a fullback one. 

In essence a defensively minded utility player.

We'll have to wait and see of course, but I can certainly see a similar line of thinking being had. 

3 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Maybe we need to look at it more from the perspective of he's a defensive midfielder that's capable of playing a little bit at both fullback and central defence - should it be required. This may allow us to loan out Ugo for some much needed football, still gives us some DM cover, while also gives us an additional option at fullback should Chilwell miss more games again. Therefore saving us from shuttling Colwill from a central role to a fullback one. 

In essence a defensively minded utility player.

We'll have to wait and see of course, but I can certainly see a similar line of thinking being had. 

I think it’s mostly mental fatigue with this type of signing. We simply don’t know what Veiga is, but I can sympathise with fans being cynical to another signing like this. We have just made far too many of them in the least 18 months, which makes it very difficult to relate to players of this current stature, as there is no fan/player/club connection there right now, they are just commodities.

4-5 signings so far this summer. All understandable in their own right, yet not one of them clearly and obviously  improves the team from last season.  Of course that may change, but it’s difficult to for anyone to be confident of that right now. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thiago97 said:

I think it’s mostly mental fatigue with this type of signing. We simply don’t know what Veiga is, but I can sympathise with fans being cynical to another signing like this. We have just made far too many of them in the least 18 months, which makes it very difficult to relate to players of this current stature, as there is no fan/player/club connection there right now, they are just commodities.

4-5 signings so far this summer. All understandable in their own right, yet not one of them clearly and obviously  improves the team from last season.  Of course that may change, but it’s difficult to for anyone to be confident of that right now. 

Maybe so, yet ironically this has been something many wanted to see more of in our transfer deals over the years. How many times did we hear people shit on our scouting for not uncovering a Caicedo before he went to Brighton as an example. Then when we do spend big on established players they're still slated anyway. We're not looking to pick these players up earlier, while also signing others that have promise. Whether they of course go on to play senior football for us only time will tell, but I presume the best will rise to the top, while the rest will be sold as we continuously invest in the next wave for the future. 

I get having a high turnover of players makes it hard to establish a connection to them, but we're likely to see the number of bodies arriving decrease now that we've got a base group mostly in place.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 06/07/2024 at 09:54, My Blood Is Blue said:

Fabrizio Romano is reporting that Juventus are planning to sell Chiesa this summer as he doesn’t fit in with Motta’s plans. €25m fee is being suggested.

If true, I hope we’re on the phone to Juventus.

Injury has done for him, sadly. There is a reason they are looking to sell a player, who before the injury was untouchable. That said, he still got 9 league goals last season.........could be worth a punt? 

On 06/07/2024 at 17:34, thevelourfog said:

We buy plenty of players with absolutely no intention of them ever playing a second of football for us tbf.

Sorry, I am editing my initial reply. How many is plenty. I think with some of these younger signings, it's a gamble. Buy 3 or 4 on the cheap and if 1 makes it, you are "up"....... then you try and shift the others for as much as you can get.

Edited by paulw66
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, xceleryx said:

He was also really immobile last time I saw him play for us.  So stocky and bulked up he could barely run or accelerate - which at his age I found really, really worrying to be honest.  Thiago's 39 and looked to be moving a lot more fluidly than a 20 year old full-back / winger

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Sorry, I am editing my initial reply. How many is plenty. I think with some of these younger signings, it's a gamble. Buy 3 or 4 on the cheap and if 1 makes it, you are "up"....... then you try and shift the others for as much as you can get.

How many years / transfer windows does it take to determine if a player is a dud?

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

Rumours floating around that  ManUre are interested in Chilwell. 

Wages to high and not a ManUre profile player. 

Edited by ROTG

32 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

Would be a strange signing for them, they already have one injury prone English left back.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Miguelito07 said:

Wouldn’t surprise me. Absolute class player. Love Chilly to bits even though he’s broken.

I  know @Bison feels the same.  🤪✌️🤣🩶🩷

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Would be a strange signing for them, they already have one injury prone English left back.

45 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Wouldn’t surprise me. Absolute class player. Love Chilly to bits even though he’s broken.

I  know @Bison feels the same.  🤪✌️🤣🩶🩷

30 league starts across the last 3 seasons.

Shame, because on his game, he was superb. 

5 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Didn't see the initial one!

I'm not going to put a specific number to a figure of speech, but I think it's uncontroversial to say plenty if you look at our recruitment overall. But I take what I think is your point, and perhaps it would be fairer not to say that they're specifically bought without an intention for them to play, and more that an intention for them to play isn't the bottom line objective for them.

I'm not convinced the figures work out so that you only need one in every four or so to work out for it to be a success, but none of us have access the figures so not a hill to die on.

My point more was that players like Renato Veiga, who we haven't yet signed, aren't blocking academy players. 

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

30 league starts across the last 3 seasons.

Shame, because on his game, he was superb. 

I quite agree. Imagine if he and Reecey had been fit all that time. 😔✌️👀🩷

Posted (edited)

Interested to hear your views on how many of the above 25 daydreams will actually come to pass? 

Any predictions? 

0-3? 

3-5?

5-12?

12-20?

20+? 

Personally I think we'll get 6, maybe 7. 

It's the hope that gets you. 

Edited by Morgs
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Morgs said:

Interested to hear your views on how many of the above 25 daydreams will actually come to pass? 

Any predictions? 

0-3? 

3-5?

5-12?

12-20?

20+? 

Personally I think we'll get 6, maybe 7. 

It's the hope that gets you. 

I'm quite the optimist so I'm going to risk a cheeky 24/25. I think Mudryk will smash it.

• Haha 2