Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

I think a few are very possible indeed , keeping our better players fit , having a system which , get this , is about overloads and won't mean that Mudryk etc aren't expected to morph into prime Hazard to get anywhere is going to be great to see. 

I worry about the "vibes" though as I'd hate the players  Instagram revenues to suffer. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Miguelito07 said:

IF and its a big IF every player stays fit - we will get top 4. Not sure if this is an answer to any of the suggestions. BUT, thats just my opinion.......man

19 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think a few are very possible indeed , keeping our better players fit , having a system which , get this , is about overloads and won't mean that Mudryk etc aren't expected to morph into prime Hazard to get anywhere is going to be great to see. 

I worry about the "vibes" though as I'd hate the players  Instagram revenues to suffer. 

The fitness thing is the biggest one on there.

A fully fit James, Fofana, Lavia, Nkunku.......that's like 4 new players (and very good ones too)

That easily adds 10-15 points over a season. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, Morgs said:

13 - Imagine if this new Doctor from Bournemouth cuts our injury problems by half? 

Pah. Mid-table doctor says it all about the ambition of these owners. How can they expect to finish top 4 with a mid-table doctor?

I expect he will be here 12 months and we will sell him for a profit.

😁

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Also, the Goalkeeper is the next important one. 

We have two n02s

A top class goalie would make a world of difference.

Sanchez is already one of the 10 most expensive goalkeeper signings in history and has a 6 year deal.

Signing a new goalkeeper is admission money has been wasted and the people responsible have no idea what they're doing. In any other business this would be a sackable offence but the person who pushed for this signing has recently been promoted. So I'm guessing we won't sign a new goalkeeper and Sanchez will be #1 until Maresca or whoever replaces him in a couple of months kicks off. 

12 minutes ago, Bison said:

Sanchez is already one of the 10 most expensive goalkeeper signings in history and has a 6 year deal.

Signing a new goalkeeper is admission money has been wasted and the people responsible have no idea what they're doing. In any other business this would be a sackable offence but the person who pushed for this signing has recently been promoted. So I'm guessing we won't sign a new goalkeeper and Sanchez will be #1 until Maresca or whoever replaces him in a couple of months kicks off. 

One mistake and sacked? not so sure.

Koulibaly and PEA were mistakes, and they were moved on fairly quickly, so the board clearly have no issue in admitting mistakes and mitigating the damage.

I guess any decision will come down to who they can / can't move on. Starting with Kepa

@Morgs Ah...The Yellow Brick Road we all dream about..great post well laid out and hopefully "predictions" not" if onlys". 

#10 for me echoes around the windmills of my mind!

🎲🎲🎲😉

/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

One mistake and sacked? not so sure.

Koulibaly and PEA were mistakes, and they were moved on fairly quickly, so the board clearly have no issue in admitting mistakes and mitigating the damage.

I guess any decision will come down to who they can / can't move on. Starting with Kepa

I think Tuchel was responsible for a lot of those signings in the summer of 2022 that haven't aligned with all the other business that's been done since. 

Sanchez is the new Kepa. Clearly not good enough but money dictates he will feature until it becomes untenable.

7 minutes ago, Bison said:

I think Tuchel was responsible for a lot of those signings in the summer of 2022 that haven't aligned with all the other business that's been done since. 

Sanchez is the new Kepa. Clearly not good enough but money dictates he will feature until it becomes untenable.

Before any of the players came back from their break and one day into the job for Maresca I saw an article online saying that Maresca has decided that Sanchez was the number one choice .

As that is complete and utter bollocks , I've decided to wait until he sees the players actually training in front of him.

I think Sanchez is crap personally but it is what it is. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@Mark Kelly FWIW,,,imho Petr is the better keeper,,,, I don't feel confident with Sanchez and whilst Petr is ..for me..a reasonable average EPL keeper Sanchez isn't solid enough to be rated as average.

All clubs seek, and wish for, a World class keeper but realistically they are few and far between,,which is of course why they ARE World class.

The perfect set up Chelsea had with PC being slowly replaced by TC was ruined by the unfortunate,for Chelsea, response of TC when push came to shove.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Before any of the players came back from their break and one day into the job for Maresca I saw an article online saying that Maresca has decided that Sanchez was the number one choice .

As that is complete and utter bollocks , I've decided to wait until he sees the players actually training in front of him.

I think Sanchez is crap personally but it is what it is. 

I saw a similar article, but it said that due to Maresca not having seen much of Sanchez (he was injured then, once fit again, only made one start in a cup game) he (the journo) believed Maresca would choose Sanchez ahead of Petrovic  on the USA tour in order to get a better look at him, not because he felt he was necessarily better.

Edited by Bob Singleton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

I saw a similar article, but it said that due to Maresca not having seen much of Sanchez (he was injured then, once fit again, only made one start in a cup game) he (the journo) believed Maresca would choose Sanchez ahead of Petrovic  on the USA tour in order to get a better look at him, not because he felt he was necessarily better.

No chance it being a directive form the gruesome twosome to supporting one of their golden boy scouts?

I always thought Sanchez was supposed to be really good with his feet, we didn't see that last season but with the obvious lack of coaching that went on I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

There's not much between him and Petr, toss of a coin almost and if we don't sign a new GK it will come down to who has the better distribution .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, chara said:

FWIW,,,imho Petr is the better keeper,,,

Don’t disagree, however his weakness is seem to be his left side and low 

Edited by ROTG
Can’t find a heat map

8 hours ago, martin1905 said:

I always thought Sanchez was supposed to be really good with his feet, we didn't see that last season but with the obvious lack of coaching that went on I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

There's not much between him and Petr, toss of a coin almost and if we don't sign a new GK it will come down to who has the better distribution .

Reckon Sanchez should get another shot in pre season. Petrovic proved he's ALRIGHT but I can count at least 16 other goalies in the league which are better. Ideally we'd just reverse a truck of money at de Gea though.

11 hours ago, martin1905 said:

There was an article or piece I read somewhere that looked back on Sanchez's distribution last season and how a lot of it tended to be forced through the middle, with the intended targets being the CB and DM. Generally when you build from the back the keeper will distribute more towards the fullbacks, this spreads the pitch and then creates gaps through the middle to then pass into.

What we were doing under Poch was somewhat the opposite of this, whether this was tactically intended by Poch, or simply Sanchez's decision making choices is a guess, but trying to distribute through the middle of the pitch when the central outlets are going to have a lot of more immediate pressure is naturally going to increase the likelihood of turnovers. 

Will be interesting to see the impact Maresca has here and if we look to initially play out into the wider areas first before coming back into the central corridor. 

On 09/07/2024 at 10:58, Miguelito07 said:

IF and its a big IF every player stays fit - we will get top 4. Not sure if this is an answer to any of the suggestions. BUT, thats just my opinion.......man

Mind if I do a J, dude? 

23 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Also, the Goalkeeper is the next important one. 

We have two n02s

A top class goalie would make a world of difference.

All I see is ITK accounts on X saying that Maresca sees Sanchez as his number one, so his agent must be busy feeding them that story, if he starts as number one I don’t think it’ll take long before he realises like Poch, that he can’t cut it. 

13 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

All I see is ITK accounts on X saying that Maresca sees Sanchez as his number one, so his agent must be busy feeding them that story, if he starts as number one I don’t think it’ll take long before he realises like Poch, that he can’t cut it. 

With all due respect, why would the manager be telling anyone, let alone members of the press, who his no1 will be? 

Maybe out of the 2, he is, but that doesn't mean the club aren't looking for a better option. 

Not even sure sanchez was that bad, or Petr was much better.

Sanchez certainly played the period where we, as a team, were far worse.

Yes, he had a mistake in him but if I recall rightly most of it was down to his distribution, which again giving him the benefit of doubt due to how poor we were collectively as a team when he played.

Would be interesting to hear others thoughts as I may be remembering wrong. Yes he made errors that lead to goals,  mostly by giving the ball away or putting players under immediate pressure with a poor pass but I don't remember too many goals he conceded where he definitely could and should have saved it.

I do remember a few very, very good saves from him though.

7 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Not even sure sanchez was that bad, or Petr was much better.

Sanchez certainly played the period where we, as a team, were far worse.

Yes, he had a mistake in him but if I recall rightly most of it was down to his distribution, which again giving him the benefit of doubt due to how poor we were collectively as a team when he played.

Would be interesting to hear others thoughts as I may be remembering wrong. Yes he made errors that lead to goals,  mostly by giving the ball away or putting players under immediate pressure with a poor pass but I don't remember too many goals he conceded where he definitely could and should have saved it.

I do remember a few very, very good saves from him though.

Doesn’t really matter, neither are going to earn the team 6-9 points, which is something you get with a top class keeper. 

It is what it is in the goal keeping dept and I doubt their performances are going to impact how the team does this season as we know their level and what they bring to the party. 

Edited by ROTG