Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

2 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

He's also been cack when he has played.

Was always a weird signing for them and a player they never needed, not complaining however. 

I thought he would have been a better fit for Liverpool he did score one trademark goal for Utd yet they were playing him in deep midfield.

Not a standard midfielder for me. 

2 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Marcin Bulka looked set on a move a month or two ago, gone a bit quiet since.

He liked a social media post the other day that was along the lines of "bring Bulka back". 

Likely means nothing but who knows.

1 minute ago, jasonb said:

I thought he would have been a better fit for Liverpool he did score one trademark goal for Utd yet they were playing him in deep midfield.

Not a standard midfielder for me. 

Agree, Liverpool felt like a better fit for Klopp and the way he plays. Granted, Klopp also left so who knows what would've happened there.

1 minute ago, xceleryx said:

Agree, Liverpool felt like a better fit for Klopp and the way he plays. Granted, Klopp also left so who knows what would've happened there.

True and if he does have an injury weakness would he even have lasted there.

4 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Apparently Man United are open to offers for Mason Mount. Sometimes, that grass is not always greener.

Pretty sad all round. I think he was railroaded into Man Utd by his father and not necessarily according to his own wishes. It's proved to be a disastrous move. I actually would have him back. I think he belongs here and could offer versatility in the midfield. He could be a replacement for Enzo in the current climate. 

11 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Still getting my head around keeping Sanchez as "ball playing keeper" and letting Petrovic go when Sanchez has more howlers than the wolf man. 

I'll never understand why a goalkeeper can't be trained to, you know, be good with their feet.

Having said that, I thought Petrovic was pretty poor from crosses. Not at all commanding. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Still getting my head around keeping Sanchez as "ball playing keeper" and letting Petrovic go when Sanchez has more howlers than the wolf man. 

I've commented on this previously Mark but a ball playing keeper needs to be playing in a team that is set up to play this way.

Everyone needs to be signing from the same hymn sheet and know what they are doing. Playing out from the back is all about patterns of play. Being drilled in them and pacticing them over and over again.

If the only one capable of doing it is the GK then there's a fair chance he's the one that will look silly.

Personally I'll give Sanchez the benefit of the doubt, like every one of our players, until we get a chance to see him in a well coached team.

43 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

What's hard to understand? Somebody spent way too much on Sanchez and that person cannot have them playing back up under any circumstances. Poch got away with it last season because of injuries but Maresca is more malleable. Even the way yesterday's brief was framed was telling - they're not after a first choice calibre keeper (which we desperately need) but somebody that can be a good alternative to Sanchez. Wasn't that meant to Petrovic?

Two first team goalkeepers signed and back in the market the next summer. In a normal business if somebody repeatedly failed at their job this much they would be sacked but Ben Roberts got a promotion instead. 

• Agree 2

Sanchez, at least, has the tools to be a decent GK. He's good at claiming crosses, is proactive on his line, and can be a good ball-playing GK in the right set-up (our build-up structure was lacking, often trying to play from the back with a 2+4 structure but the double pivot either on the same line, or the CBs not keeping the right distances etc).

And he's HG, which makes him not a total waste if he's relegated to GK2.

Petrovic is hyper limited. Came from a midtable MLS team, and that's basically his level in the Prem. He looked good when we were 10th and facing a lot of shots, once we start to climb up the table slowly, it was clear that's just not his level. He's bad in the air, bad with his feet, never comes off his line, and his shot-stopping isn't good enough to be OK with all those weaknesses.

Lucas Chevalier is a great GK and he's young. He's the best non-Donnarumma Ligue 1 goalkeeper (and better on the ball), however Lille just sold Yoro for +60M with only one year left on his contract. Chevalier will only leave for a high, high premium fee, he's France's future number 1 GK.

And we're skint. We simply don't have the money. 

Last summer was an utter disaster squad planning for the GK position. Kepa was better than both Petrovic and Sanchez, we were better off not making any move.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Not really familiar with him, what's he like as a keeper?

Confident keeper, very good with the ball at his feet, good shot stopper, probably needs to work on handling though, not the finished product. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, martin1905 said:

I've commented on this previously Mark but a ball playing keeper needs to be playing in a team that is set up to play this way.

Everyone needs to be signing from the same hymn sheet and know what they are doing. Playing out from the back is all about patterns of play. Being drilled in them and pacticing them over and over again.

If the only one capable of doing it is the GK then there's a fair chance he's the one that will look silly.

Personally I'll give Sanchez the benefit of the doubt, like every one of our players, until we get a chance to see him in a well coached team.

So you are happy that Brighton’s No 3 is Chelsea’s No1?

With that said it could have been worst and the club could have brought Onana as a ball playing GK. 

Personally I would rather have a keeper who wins 9-12 points as season regardless of his footwork abilities. 

I assume tomorrow is going to be a busy few days for you with the air show?

39 minutes ago, ROTG said:

So you are happy that Brighton’s No 3 is Chelsea’s No1?

I'm happy giving every player a fresh start and seeing what they can do with a manger that has a plan in place.

With that said it could have been worst and the club could have brought Onana as a ball playing GK. 

There's always that.

Personally I would rather have a keeper who wins 9-12 points as season regardless of his footwork abilities. 

It's gone from 6-9 to 9-12.

Either way it's an interesting point. I wonder how many points Ederson is worth on his pure ability to stop the ball going into the net in comparison to how many extra points he earns the team with his ball playing skills. Hard to quantify I suppose but the best team in the country  for the past few years have a bang average GK who's outrageous with his feet so must be something in it.

I assume tomorrow is going to be a busy few days for you with the air show?

Not really any busier than normal, traffic will be a bit shit and will have to put up with the awful noise for a few days but doesn't really effect me other than that.

21 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

I'm happy giving every player a fresh start and seeing what they can do with a manger that has a plan in place.

Same here. 

There is currently little point in pontificating on players that may or may not have been 'good', 'poor' or 'average' last season under a different manager, playing a different system and possibly (probably?) actually having meaningful training sessions, unlike last season.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sabrina F. said:

Last summer was an utter disaster squad planning for the GK position. Kepa was better than both Petrovic and Sanchez, we were better off not making any move.

Completely and utterly agree, and the situation we are in now was completely foreseeable. Kepa was never going to become Real's number one and while it made next to no sense to let him go at all, it was particularly stupid to do it on a loan that lasted just long enough to have no leverage with him, and necessitate the panic buy of a keeper whose sole real quality isn't that it wasn't them who passed directly to Declan Rice at 2-1 up. It's almost impressive they managed to fuck up even more than they had done just a few weeks earlier in buying Sanchez and handing him a career-long contract. 

For me the reality is that contract means Sanchez is here for a while. And while I'd never have signed him, he's not really as bad as a completely uncoached passing set up made him look so I agree that's survivable. Petrovic has done nothing wrong in that he's played to his level and that is all he can do, but while there's some stock to his name I'd be confident a Ligue 1 or Bundesliga team could be tempted if he was available for only a few million more than we paid. I'd solicit an offer and I'd take one. Money is needed for someone who can actually be first choice on merit rather than reaction.

Edited by thevelourfog
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

Same here. 

There is currently little point in pontificating on players that may or may not have been 'good', 'poor' or 'average' last season under a different manager, playing a different system and possibly (probably?) actually having meaningful training sessions, unlike last season.

The keeper was a No3 at a mid table PL team 

As for meaningful training sessions, coaching a PL team in the Championship vs a PL team with top 4 as a minimum is completely a different kettle of fish. 

Remember what Potter did with a top 4 team.  

Edited by ROTG

I guess we will see what type of plan he has in the coming two weeks or can we use Enzo and players on Euro duty as an excuse?

certainly can’t use the game changers excuse, because none of those went to the Euros 

Edited by ROTG

6 minutes ago, ROTG said:

The keeper was a No3 at a mid table PL team 

To be fair we bought him from a team that had just finished 6th, who he started the season as first choice.

Interestingly he conceded 29 goals in 23 starts that year. They conceded 24 in 15 without him.

1.2 goals conceded with him starting.

1.6 goals conceded when he didn't.

You'd think with them replacing him with Jason Steele they would have got better. They didn't. 

You'd then be sure after spending £20m to bring in the Dutch number 1 they'd definitely improve. Last season they conceded 1.6 goals a game playing a combination of Steele and Verbruggen.

Maybe Brighton made a mistake in making him 3rd choice? They certainly weren't a mid table club when he last played for them.

I wonder how many extra points they would have had if they conceded 15 less goals. Got to be close to your 6-9 don't you think?

• Agree 1

The cheap option would be to keep Kepa for the final year of his contract as back-up/rival to Sanchez or Petrovic. Petrovic is probably the easier to sell. 

Then next summer spend money on a new no.1 or hope that Slonina has made significant progress. 

Use any money we may have available this summer on a goalscorer. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

To be fair we bought him from a team that had just finished 6th, who he started the season as first choice.

Interestingly he conceded 29 goals in 23 starts that year. They conceded 24 in 15 without him.

1.2 goals conceded with him starting.

1.6 goals conceded when he didn't.

You'd think with them replacing him with Jason Steele they would have got better. They didn't. 

You'd then be sure after spending £20m to bring in the Dutch number 1 they'd definitely improve. Last season they conceded 1.6 goals a game playing a combination of Steele and Verbruggen.

Maybe Brighton made a mistake in making him 3rd choice? They certainly weren't a mid table club when he last played for them.

I wonder how many extra points they would have had if they conceded 15 less goals. Got to be close to your 6-9 don't you think?

Fair points 

Using stats for his last season at Brighton lost 6 games whilst he was in goal Vs 5 when he was replaced 

However Brighton being at best a mid table club and like most clubs who sell there soul every summer, this is probably the season where it will catch up with them and back to the wilderness of the championship and beyond where they belong.

I thought Petrovic was far superior to Sanchez last season. I’d be surprised if Sanchez is anything other than a disaster as a ball playing keeper. He’s not much of a shot stopper either. I don’t know why these press stories about Sanchez as no. 1 keeper are being planted all of a sudden. Surely that’s up to the manager to decide. Unless we’re trying to big up Sanchez in the hope that some club are likely to want to take him off our hands. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ROTG said:

Fair points 

Using stats for his last season at Brighton lost 6 games whilst he was in goal Vs 5 when he was replaced 

Lost 6 in 23 with him starting compared to 5 in 15 when he was dropped 🤔