Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

31 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

In theory buying a few prospects is fine , especially when they're as good as Paez and Estavao look , but they''re like kids in a sweet shop , surely the procurement budget should be split so they have X amount on prospects and X amount on ready for the first team squad players? Who's supervising this and letting it happen? 

Maybe they do, and the amount allocated to prospects is far bigger than the one allocated to first-team ready (on the basis that the owners think the main squad is close to "perfect")?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob Singleton said:

Maybe they do, and the amount allocated to prospects is far bigger than the one allocated to first-team ready (on the basis that the owners think the main squad is close to "perfect")?

Well there is that I suppose but I still think we're speculating far too much given we also have Cobham to fall back on . 

I expect that will go to cock now the outsiders have been jettisoned .

58 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

In theory buying a few prospects is fine , especially when they're as good as Paez and Estavao look , but they''re like kids in a sweet shop , surely the procurement budget should be split so they have X amount on prospects and X amount on ready for the first team squad players? Who's supervising this and letting it happen? 

The amazing thing is that we tried this approach more than 10 years ago and eventually abandoned it as so few players actually made it through from the loan army into the first team, or even generated decent money through sales. We went back to largely buying players that were ready for the first team and using the loan system only for academy graduates.

I agree that buying 2-3 absolute top prospects per year can work, but what we're doing now has already been proven not to be an effective strategy, and on top of that there are now loan limits so we can only loan out 6 of these prospects we bring in. We are going to be wasting a good amount of money and stalling a few players' careers for lack of playing time.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

37 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

The amazing thing is that we tried this approach more than 10 years ago and eventually abandoned it as so few players actually made it through from the loan army into the first team, or even generated decent money through sales. We went back to largely buying players that were ready for the first team and using the loan system only for academy graduates.

I agree that buying 2-3 absolute top prospects per year can work, but what we're doing now has already been proven not to be an effective strategy, and on top of that there are now loan limits so we can only loan out 6 of these prospects we bring in. We are going to be wasting a good amount of money and stalling a few players' careers for lack of playing time.

Exactly this. Roman went down this route and gave up. These clowns are doing something we already know isn't working. This time around the odds are even worse as the loans are now restricted. 

I'd love to hear how they are thinking. It's not a very reassuring feeling when you know you'd do a better job yourself. 

20 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

i don't understand why we sign players to loan them to Strasbourg, using up our loan slots in the process. Surely the point of having a satellite club is that they buy players and keep them for 1-2 years, then if they're good enough the main club buys them from the satellite club.

The issue with buying a French club is they litterally can't have all these players on their books. 

French league only just this week found a buyer for their upcoming season's TV rights and the price is less than €500m out of desperation (this will continue to fall as Mbappe left the league and big talents are leaving earlier and earlier each year).

Many clubs couldn't even project budgets for next season, and Strasbourg aren't threatned to close up shop like others, but their growth prospects are very limited even with a foreign investor. They don't generate anything at all, and they're reovating their stadium. 

So they're putting them on our books.

It's all PE portfolio logic, our club bears most of the risk (long contract, backloading type of logic).

2 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

We half tried it. As soon as Salah and KdB didn't hit the ground running, they were binned. 

It worked with Courtois. It could have worked with Lukaku (first time) but Mourinho preferred to sign old man Eto'o

Anyway, we can hardly argue that we haven't spent much money on the first team due to overspending on youngsters. 

Also, we have spuffed a lot of dough buying "proven players" too.

Morata, Torres, Lukaku, Werner, Ziyech, Sterling, Zappacosta, Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Kepa........ There are few guarantees

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sabrina F. said:

The issue with buying a French club is they litterally can't have all these players on their books. 

French league only just this week found a buyer for their upcoming season's TV rights and the price is less than €500m out of desperation (this will continue to fall as Mbappe left the league and big talents are leaving earlier and earlier each year).

Many clubs couldn't even project budgets for next season, and Strasbourg aren't threatned to close up shop like others, but their growth prospects are very limited even with a foreign investor. They don't generate anything at all, and they're reovating their stadium. 

So they're putting them on our books.

It's all PE portfolio logic, our club bears most of the risk (long contract, backloading type of logic).

Having had a brief look, the French regulations for football clubs (DNCG) appears to allow Shareholder cash injections much different to PRS and FFP. In fact it insists on it with the main objective being that the Govt doesn't have to bail out the clubs if they go insolvent. I don't think Clearlake bought it with the initial intention of it being self sustainable, moreso to be a feeder to save costs on the books to Chelsea and probably grow Strasbourg's value via their cash injections.

16 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Also, we have spuffed a lot of dough buying "proven players" too.

Morata, Torres, Lukaku, Werner, Ziyech, Sterling, Zappacosta, Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Kepa........ There are few guarantees

Hm... The only one on that list I'm ready to concede is Torres. The rest were all high risk purchases for a myriad of reasons. 

Morata - lots of fans questioned this at the time, from mental strength to how well he'd suit the PL

Lukaku - second time there wasn't many on here who wanted him apart from Martin who spend the best part of a full summer calling him world class

Werner - came from Germany, high risk in terms of how well he'd settle here. Didn't suit our style of play to begin with

Ziyech - was never suited to the PL, he looked like a child running next to men

Sterling - harsh to call him a failure, he's not been a 10/10 but he's been fairly solid

Zappacosta - proper punt, he wasn't a "proven" player by any means

Bakayoko - one decent season in Ligue 1, proper punt

Drinkwater - ditto, one title winning season at Leicester

Kepa - you got to be kidding me

I think that there is a red thread in terms of the majority of our purchases. We don't seem to be buying players with a proper plan in place. Sometimes you would even have to wonder if we scouted the players before buying them. This was true under Roman as well but has gone full bonkers under the yanks. We just buy players with no strategy on how we should utilise them. Who gave the green light for Washington and Angelo for example? Are they even outstanding talents better than what we have in the academy already? That's €30m we spent on players we had absolutely no need for whatsoever. 

• Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Kepa - you got to be kidding me

Spanish international goalkeeper. 

Not going to argue all of the players listed, but they were all established, senior (more senior than the ones we have been buying in the last 18 months) players wherever they came from.

The point remains, there a few guarantees. 

35 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Spanish international goalkeeper. 

Not going to argue all of the players listed, but they were all established, senior (more senior than the ones we have been buying in the last 18 months) players wherever they came from.

The point remains, there a few guarantees. 

Yes, if you don't even bother scouting the players you are buying then no - no guarantees indeed. I don't believe for a second that Kepa was extensively scouted. Five minutes watching him was enough for me to see he was nowhere near good enough for us. 

Look at City. They manage. How often do they buy absolute flops compared to ourselves? 

24 minutes ago, east lower said:

Lukaku ran away (the first time) when he knew he had to compete with an aged E’to and a 80% version of what was Fernando Torres. Had very little to do with Mourinho.

He’s always had plenty to say for himself but rarely can fight the fight his mouth suggests he can. A legend in his own mind.

He’s a legend at Gregg’s too. 🍩 🥪 🍰🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Ice cream man now, loves the Gelato 🇮🇹

They told him about the Neapolitan lifestye in Napoli, he thought gotta go for that……………problem was he got confused as he thought he was getting that three flavoured ice cream!!

Edited by east lower
  • Haha 3

Hmm..Neapolitan Ice Cream,,as a kid it seemed the height of Ice Cream sophistication and one felt somewhat entitled when presented with it albeit from an ugly block.

Having said that despite the apparent sophistication and preening in front of my peers I didn't really like it compared to, for instance ,Tony's Ice Cream in Burnt Oak.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, chara said:

Hmm..Neapolitan Ice Cream,,as a kid it seemed the height of Ice Cream sophistication and one felt somewhat entitled when presented with it albeit from an ugly block.

Having said that despite the apparent sophistication and preening in front of my peers I didn't really like it compared to, for instance ,Tony's Ice Cream in Burnt Oak.

Which flavour did you eat first, strawberry first for me!

Aren't all ice cream shops owned by a Toni/Tony??

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, east lower said:

Which flavour did you eat first, strawberry first for me!

Aren't all ice cream shops owned by a Toni/Tony??

I think the chocolate,,my OG ,faulty, memory tells me it was strawberrvanilla and chocolate or "green' pistacio,, bit vague about that !...seem to remember any green was a bit weird tasting and not liked,,although now pistacios I quite like,

Back in the day the Burnt Oak Tony's had two shops...one either side of the railway bridge at the top of Watling Ave,,locally "The Watling" as Up the ...old fashioned street market Saturday morning... sorry Mods..got carried away! (My sister and I had a choice of a bag of chips or an ice cream as a Saturday treat,,,such torn emotions)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, chara said:

I think the chocolate,,my OG ,faulty, memory tells me it was strawberrvanilla and chocolate or "green' pistacio,, bit vague about that !...seem to remember any green was a bit weird tasting and not liked,,although now pistacios I quite like,

Back in the day the Burnt Oak Tony's had two shops...one either side of the railway bridge at the top of Watling Ave,,locally "The Watling" as Up the ...old fashioned street market Saturday morning... sorry Mods..got carried away! (My sister and I had a choice of a bag of chips or an ice cream as a Saturday treat,,,such torn emotions)

I remember Marine Ices in North London, incredible ice cream, turned out it was a Mafia front!! But they were so kind to me and my sister when we were 5, 6 years old. Good times. As for Neapolitan ice cream, totally agree, I thought it was super posh when I was a kid! 🍦🥰 💯 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

I remember Marine Ices in North London, incredible ice cream, turned out it was a Mafia front!! But they were so kind to me and my sister when we were 5, 6 years old. Good times. As for Neapolitan ice cream, totally agree, I thought it was super posh when I was a kid! 🍦🥰 💯 

Ice cream is the food of the gods! Obviously the Italians are supreme when it comes to ice cream. There's a place on Clapham Common called Nardulli's which is as good as you'll get outside of Italy.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

I understand that Bernard Rhodes the svengali / manager of the Clash used to forment his plots and plans with various members of the clash there in the late seventies. 

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I understand that Bernard Rhodes the svengali / manager of the Clash used to forment his plots and plans with various members of the clash there in the late seventies. 

Interesting! I’ll never forget their strawberry ice cream, 45 years later. 🥰🥰🥰🍦

Just got back in ..very much an ice cream day today in Colorado.

Mrs C makes our ice cream but had the last word (par for the course, I have never recovered poise or the high ground since her telling me of her friendship with a brother of The Cat and meeting him at a family wedding)] when I mentioned the subject ,,seems San Gimignano in Florence is a Nirvana regarding Ice Cream !🍓🍨😁

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

A mafia front! Spent half my childhood in there. I had no idea. I remember a sundae they did called a Knickerbocker Glory which was heaven for us kids. And the friendly professional waiters you don’t see anymore. 

• Love 1

6 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

One can only hope Enzo is shown the door  so you can change the script and start picking on another. 

• Disagree 1