Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

8 minutes ago, Bison said:

Napoli are getting desperate it seems. They haven't been able to con anybody into paying 100m for Osimhen.

Feels that way. 

But if we can send them Lukaku, and throw and bit of extra cash??

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Feels that way. 

But if we can send them Lukaku, and throw and bit of extra cash??

I wouldn't say no to that but I doubt we can/will entertain the wages Osimhen wants. Offloading Lukaku's salary only to take on something similar for 5+ years with no guarantee of CL football on the hoirzon hasn't been the strategy so far. 

6 minutes ago, Bison said:

I wouldn't say no to that but I doubt we can/will entertain the wages Osimhen wants. Offloading Lukaku's salary only to take on something similar for 5+ years with no guarantee of CL football on the hoirzon hasn't been the strategy so far. 

true. didn't think of the wages.... we need PSG to step up here, so Napoli can take Rom.

29 minutes ago, Bison said:

I think you mean "at least 8 years".

Osimhen seems a complete no-go for lots of reasons.

• Agree 2

I feel somewhat sad that Chelsea ,not the only Club but MY Club. are constantly looking abroad for keepers...look at the present roster...as an OG I can remember when the depth of English keepers was such that keepers who would easily merit International call ups today hardly, if ever, got a look in.

Not sure why that is, Of course the game is less "home" based across the board and a wider range of options in all positions is out there but as I posted elsewhere there has been no long term academy keeper since my hero and how long has it been since Chelsea had a starting English keeper let alone an academy produced one on a long term basis?

Just thoughts.

+

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Ross Turnbull? Hitch? 

Did think of them but what I really meant was long term established keepers...to be honest probably Hitch slip under my radar as a reliable sort of low profile memory but I'm being unfair in retrospect.

Turnbull , to my mind was just a back up and not really up to long term status.

My not well thought through last recall was Dave Beasant and Eddie N who was of course Welsh so I kept him off the list.

• Agree 1

Lurch was English and I was going to say Neil Sullivan - but I think he turned out for our kilt-wearing neighbours 

@chara - Our posts crossed on DB, but I’ll offer up Tony Godden as a sub.

Edited by east lower

2 minutes ago, east lower said:

Lurch was English and I was going to say Neil Sullivan - but I think he turned out for our kilt-wearing neighbours 

Thanks for the interest... I did miss some up close Chelsea times abroad so missed some of the hodge podge,,as it seemed to me..keepers although Sullivan I remember,,but another basically back up and as I recall I was disappointed by his form at Chelsea thinking he was a good buy at the time.

No real quality established English locked on choices for a long time as I remember,

21 minutes ago, chara said:

Thanks for the interest... I did miss some up close Chelsea times abroad so missed some of the hodge podge,,as it seemed to me..keepers although Sullivan I remember,,but another basically back up and as I recall I was disappointed by his form at Chelsea thinking he was a good buy at the time.

No real quality established English locked on choices for a long time as I remember,

I haven’t looked it up, but wasn’t Sullivan a back-up for Carlo? Another ex-Wimbledon keeper, as was Dave Beasant. We had a few ex-Dons play for us back then - Denis Wise, Terry Phelan, Vinny Jones.

On the goalkeeper scenario, I took this picture from another site. And it uses poetic license slightly. But, Christ-on-a-bike it shows up the mess our club has made of trying to find a competent goalkeeper:

IMG_1423.webp

• Like 1

1 minute ago, east lower said:

On the goalkeeper scenario, I took this picture from another site. And it uses poetic license slightly. But, Christ-on-a-bike it shows up the mess our club has made of trying to find a competent goalkeeper:

IMG_1423.webp

Spot on there...sums up my unconcious reasons for posting I think.

Just looking at that you realise how far the standards have dropped.

I like Petr but in past times he would be considered,,to my mind..a competent back up.

• Agree 1

On 25/07/2024 at 08:17, Chelsea_Matt said:

In fact, I would love to see this line-up at Stamford Bridge in a 3-4-1-2:

Goalie: Experienced, calm, commanding presence needed so as above:

GK: @chara - International goalie, great distribution and good with his hands on the keyboard as well as the ball. 

Defence - obviously had to be the mods:

LCB: @Michael Tucker - Uncompromising, can stop a wayward forum post as well as an oppo attacker with a withering put-down.

CB: @My Blood Is Blue - Quietly authoritative; can see the whole pitch as well as everyone’s views.  Forum leader and team captain. Think Thiago Silva/JT with a laptop. 

RCB: @JaneB - Defender of free speech and set pieces. Loves donkeys but plays and moderates  like a thoroughbred. Class. 

Midfield - a mix of fight and creativity:

DM: @Morgs He may be waiting for his coffee to cool but covers every topic as well as every blade of grass.

RCM: @Max Fowler Fizzing with energy and youth, Max’s all-action posts would make him an ideal box-to-box midfield marauder. Think Michael  Essien on Red Bull carrying an iPhone. 

LCM:  @Bison Just to make him link up with Chilly B. Combative, strong in the argument as well as the tackle.

RCM: @east lower Team photographer as well as the man with a killer argument - and a killer pass.

AM: @Mark Kelly Quick witted as well as quick-footed, Mr K is capable of delivering clever passes and puns with equal measure. 

Attack - a mix of lethality and withering arguments:

ST1: @ROTG Dogged, hard-going - I mean hard running academy product who’ll bless SB with divine goals. A true maverick, supporters’ folk hero and man of the cloth - so  great on crosses.

ST2:  @paulw66 The ideal partner for ROTG. Highly intelligent and dangerous - think Tore-Andre Flo armed with a sharp retort. 

Subs - strength in depth and opinion: 

@martin1905 - The man with the inside track. Great at a long pass as well as long forum posts. 

@patThenevin The rebel with a cause - loves sticking it to Todd ‘n’ Eggy as well as the opposition. 

@asvaberg  The Erland Johnsen of the forum; good in the air, especially up in the Norwegian mountains.

@Blue Kratos Short posts but big on personality. 

@Ham  Combative on the pitch as well as the forum. Cheapest name to put on the replica shirts.

@NoblyBobly Kit Kats and hilarious posts - creative genius. 

@RDCW Team wordsmith. Loves ice cream, and will have the opposition licked. Hard-hitting, eloquent forum posts make him the ultimate impact sub.

Ben Chilwell -Just to make him play with @Bison

All of this is meant affectionately - everyone here on the forum is great!🫡🩷🩶🎯 💯

Sub??? I know I’m not totally match fit at this stage of the season, but someone’s not getting a Kit Kat  chocolate finger at half time 😡

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, chara said:

Spot on there...sums up my unconcious reasons for posting I think.

Just looking at that you realise how far the standards have dropped.

I like Petr but in past times he would be considered,,to my mind..a competent back up.

I agree. 

Although I think getting rid of him this early, with all the other very average keepers we have on the books, is a little ruthless and short-sighted. 

I do wonder if they simply see Petrovic as a more saleable asset? Ie: they haven't got a hope of moving Sanchez on for even half of what we paid for him whereas Petrovic was brought in for a reasonable fee and has likely done enough to at least earn the original fee back and perhaps make a couple of mil profit. Is it simply a cash grab, I wonder? And if it is, what does that say about the wider issues at stake? 

• Like 1

I'm a little bit surprised the club haven't gone in for Donnarumma to be honest. A leader, commands his box, a world class shot-stopper, genuine presence and still only 25 (astonishingly) so likely not even finished developing yet. Would cost mega money but you'd have to think if the club was able to get Kepa off the wage books, move Petrovic on for EUR20m, give Gabe Slonina another loan and summon up 50m-ish, then its not out of the realms of possibility. The only question at that point would be whether he would come to Chelsea for Chelsea wages instead of the king's ransom he must be on at PSG. 

I'd go as far as suggesting that having a fully fit Donnarumma between the sticks at Chelsea would make top four go from being a nice but remote daydream to a very realistic possibility. 

Donnarumma with Sanchez and Bettinelli the backups? Who says no? 

....well, Donnarumma most likely, but its nice to dream hahahaha

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Morgs said:

I'm a little bit surprised the club haven't gone in for Donnarumma to be honest. A leader, commands his box, a world class shot-stopper, genuine presence and still only 25 (astonishingly) so likely not even finished developing yet. Would cost mega money but you'd have to think if the club was able to get Kepa off the wage books, move Petrovic on for EUR20m, give Gabe Slonina another loan and summon up 50m-ish, then its not out of the realms of possibility. The only question at that point would be whether he would come to Chelsea for Chelsea wages instead of the king's ransom he must be on at PSG. 

I'd go as far as suggesting that having a fully fit Donnarumma between the sticks at Chelsea would make top four go from being a nice but remote daydream to a very realistic possibility. 

I'm as certain as I can be that if Chelsea bought any of the second choice keepers from any of the Premier League top ten sides then We'd improve as a defensive unit . We have too many people at the club with an invested interest in Sanchez to come good and it is never , ever , going to happen , he's as bang average as the day is long , he's not a "sweeper Keeper" whatsoever , panics under pressure and is always caught off balance when facing an attacker.  Donnarumma's wife would be a sounder option.

• Agree 3

gallagher.png

Atletico's investors just approved a 70m Euro cash injection for transfers apparently so it makes sense. Will be a lot of frustrated Chelsea fans if it goes through. 

Edited by Spawton
  • Angry 1

Gallagher to Atletico seems a genuine possibility at the moment. Seems like the interest is there from Atletico, so he’ll be down to whether the club do indeed want to sell and if they do… does Gallagher want to go?

I’d much rather he went off abroad than to a PL rival, to be honest, but I’d really just rather he stayed.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Spawton said:

gallagher.png

Atletico's investors just approved a 70m Euro cash injection for transfers apparently so it makes sense. Will be a lot of frustrated Chelsea fans. 

Another player dumb and dumber don't value moving onto a Champions League club.

43 minutes ago, Morgs said:

I agree. 

Although I think getting rid of him this early, with all the other very average keepers we have on the books, is a little ruthless and short-sighted. 

I do wonder if they simply see Petrovic as a more saleable asset? Ie: they haven't got a hope of moving Sanchez on for even half of what we paid for him whereas Petrovic was brought in for a reasonable fee and has likely done enough to at least earn the original fee back and perhaps make a couple of mil profit. Is it simply a cash grab, I wonder? And if it is, what does that say about the wider issues at stake? 

I think you're rationale there, pretty much reflects the owner's philosophy, which is profit first, football somewhere down the orders of priorities. They don't get  beyond their 'playlist' sport mentality.  Fluid and dynamic, not stop let's have a huddle, look at the playsheet etc, etc. They seem to me not to get the non-tangibles that are more prevalent in our game. Having 'experts' doesn't always deliver either, if you back the wrong horses!

Edit: Just seen the Gallagher reports posted, if true just another example of profit before all else.

34 minutes ago, Morgs said:

Never rated him, too slow and not good enough. He's never lived up to his late teens hype. Plus, we're shopping at Tesco's not Fortnum & Mason now.

Edited by east lower

23 hours ago, Morgs said:

So. 

Less than a month to go before a ball is kicked in anger and the traditional heady summer high of unbridled optimism, what-ifs, hopes and dreams and all that good stuff has fallen characteristically flat. Some observations while I wait for my prune juice and double espresso to do what it should. 

…

I think I need to call in sick and go back to bed. 

You’ve expressed how I feel way better than I ever could express myself. 

12 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Gallagher to Atletico seems a genuine possibility at the moment. Seems like the interest is there from Atletico, so he’ll be down to whether the club do indeed want to sell and if they do… does Gallagher want to go?

I’d much rather he went off abroad than to a PL rival, to be honest, but I’d really just rather he stayed.

Or, will he tell them to stuff the move - probably sit on the bench for the season and stick £30 million in his bank-account as a signing on fee in January, for a next season move.

I know what I'd do, and out of a bit of spite too.

Edited by east lower
  • Like 1