Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

10 hours ago, Ham said:

I'd say 99% of this forum have only seen his YouTube compilations. 

Wait. I just realised I’ve not seen Ugarte’s Youtube highlights and I’ve never seen him play live. I have no idea who he is. I thought we were going to sign Rice or Caicedo. 

13 hours ago, JaneB said:

I thought he really loved Chelsea 💙

I am sure he does, I would suspect it is more the case of him sitting with the new coach and listening to his ideas before he makes a decision - Coaching was not the clubs strongest point last season

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

This might be more useful than the average YouTube compilation.

I still think he should be behind Rice and Caceido on the priority list personally  

Thanks @Rob B  Not seen that one before. More useful than most compilations as the guy points out the good and bad rather than just concentrating on the good bits.

Agree that Rice is probably the ideal candidate for us but with our need to balance the books - and possibly Rice's own preference to play CL next season rather than wait yet another year - the £100m+ West Ham will be wanting is possibly too much for us just now (should have gone for him last summer when we were chucking money around!). Caicedo is also probably a slightly better option, with the added advantage of having a season of PL experience under his belt... but how much more money are we going to give Brighton?  It would have cost Boehly a lot less to just buy the club wholesale! 😉  Anyway, both Arsenal and Liverpool seem to be ahead of us in the race to sign him.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Thanks @Rob B  Not seen that one before. More useful than most compilations as the guy points out the good and bad rather than just concentrating on the good bits.

Agree that Rice is probably the ideal candidate for us but with our need to balance the books - and possibly Rice's own preference to play CL next season rather than wait yet another year - the £100m+ West Ham will be wanting is possibly too much for us just now (should have gone for him last summer when we were chucking money around!). Caicedo is also probably a slightly better option, with the added advantage of having a season of PL experience under his belt... but how much more money are we going to give Brighton?  It would have cost Boehly a lot less to just buy the club wholesale! 😉  Anyway, both Arsenal and Liverpool seem to be ahead of us in the race to sign him.

Indeed.  Hopefully Brighton and the Hammers make them pay top dollar so we can all have sone fun when fans try to fix net transfer tables to suit their own agenda!

Just looking at players from the relegated clubs who might be worth looking at.  Any thoughts on these? No surprise that not one Leeds player makes my list (though Patrick Bamford is an "almost" if he weren't so injury prone... seems to have a better idea of where the net is than most of our guys!). We're already linked to Lavia, having tried to sign him last summer.

James Ward-Prowse
Roméo Lavia

James Maddison
Youri Tielemens
Wilfred Ndidi

2 hours ago, Rob B said:

I still think he should be behind Rice and Caceido on the priority list personally  

You had me at "quite thuggish" , we've been missing that .

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Rob B said:

His broken down numbers aren't all that really when compared to Caicedo and Rice who both operate in a better league.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Just looking at players from the relegated clubs who might be worth looking at.  Any thoughts on these? No surprise that not one Leeds player makes my list (though Patrick Bamford is an "almost" if he weren't so injury prone... seems to have a better idea of where the net is than most of our guys!). We're already linked to Lavia, having tried to sign him last summer.

James Ward-Prowse
Roméo Lavia

James Maddison
Youri Tielemens
Wilfred Ndidi

Add Harvey Barnes to the list. 13 league goals (no penalties). 

Just read that he's on a salary of 35k per week. Meanwhile we have players rejecting contracts of 250k per week because they don't see that as fair value. Funny world. 

4 minutes ago, Bison said:

Add Harvey Barnes to the list. 13 league goals (no penalties). 

Just read that he's on a salary of 35k per week. Meanwhile we have players rejecting contracts of 250k per week because they don't see that as fair value. Funny world. 

I think he's definitely worth a punt seeing as Mudryk looks utterly incapable

1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think he's definitely worth a punt seeing as Mudryk looks utterly incapable

Barnes is a proven premier league player at his point in my opinion. He's been linked with Newcastle most recently so I'm sure hell have decent offers. 

Mudryk looks like he needs a loan. 

12 minutes ago, Bison said:

Barnes is a proven premier league player at his point in my opinion. He's been linked with Newcastle most recently so I'm sure hell have decent offers. 

Mudryk, like a lot of Chelsea players, looks like he needs a striker to make himself available.

How many times have we got into a good position, looked up and there was nobody there? 

Hall would have had 5 assists in two games if we had a proper striker. 

Enzo would have had a good few too. 

26 minutes ago, Ham said:

Mudryk, like a lot of Chelsea players, looks like he needs a striker to make himself available.

How many times have we got into a good position, looked up and there was nobody there? 

Sorry but us having no striker isn't Mudryk's issue. His issue is down to bad technique and just generally being a poor footballer (this is purely based on what we've seen in a Chelsea shirt).

Madueke in comparison looks far more skilled and accomplished. No striker issues for him. 

There's always talk from Chelsea fans about our own academy players being sent on loan to go learn how to play. That actually applies to Mudryk more than any other player in the squad right now. 

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Ham said:

15 minutes ago, Bison said:

Sorry but us having no striker isn't Mudryk's issue. His issue is down to bad technique and just generally being a poor footballer (this is purely based on what we've seen in a Chelsea shirt).

Madueke in comparison looks far more skilled and accomplished. No striker issues for him. 

There's always talk from Chelsea fans about our own academy players being sent on loan to go learn how to play. That actually applies to Mudryk more than any other player in the squad right now. 

I think it's more that he really isn't remotely fit, and has had to endure Potter and then Lampard. 

We've got a proper, fitness and system orientated coach now so I'm willing to give him six months or so, if we can't get a tune out of him by January we can loan him out somewhere 

1 hour ago, Bison said:

Mudryk looks like he needs a damn good hiding tbh 

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Ham said:

His broken down numbers aren't all that really when compared to Caicedo and Rice who both operate in a better league.

My worry from the admittedly small amount I’ve seen of him is that he’s not particularly athletic (both Caicedo and Rice are fast, strong and leggy) and that it looks like he holds on to the ball too long.  

There’s a few nice nut-megs and dribbles in the clip, but in the PL you’re getting easily dispossessed and then countered.  

Him and Enzo in a double pivot would actually have me a bit concerned if I’m honest.  Unless we are buying him as more of a Kovacic / RLC replacement?  ie Bit of an all-rounder to compliment a proper DM?  For example, Ugarte, Lavia, Enzo and Kante.  

I can see at least four of the following going this summer…. Gallagher, Mount, RLC, Kovacic, Kante and Chukwuemeka.  That’s before Zakaira and Ampadu.

2 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

James Ward-Prowse
Roméo Lavia

James Maddison
Youri Tielemens
Wilfred Ndidi

Under different circumstances, probably all of them are worthy of a place in our squad in terms of quality, but the following aspects make a lot of them unlikely:

Pochettino apparently likes his No. 6 to be a defensive player, not a ball-player,  which probably rules out Tielemans (who would be ideal for Arsenal) and JWP (who by the way has got 10 goals and 4 assists this season!) 

James Maddison is absolute quality, but with Nkunku, Havertz, Mount (as it stands) and even a conversation to be had on Felix, can’t see this happening.

Which leaves Lavia and Ndidi.  The latter has apparently dropped off massively this season according to Leicester fans and we’re not really in the market for backups.  The former we have been linked heavily with - apparently Joe Shields is a big fan - but how he fares given the rumours of Ugarte etc I don’t know. 

As Bison said, Harvey Barnes is one id definitely look at for the right price.  Works hard, strong and has an eye for goal.  Him, alongside James Ward-Prowse, are the common-sense signings we’ve probably been lacking over the last couple of years whilst we’ve chased Europe’s next big thing 

4 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Under different circumstances, probably all of them are worthy of a place in our squad in terms of quality, but the following aspects make a lot of them unlikely:

Pochettino apparently likes his No. 6 to be a defensive player, not a ball-player,  which probably rules out Tielemans (who would be ideal for Arsenal) and JWP (who by the way has got 10 goals and 4 assists this season!) 

James Maddison is absolute quality, but with Nkunku, Havertz, Mount (as it stands) and even a conversation to be had on Felix, can’t see this happening.

Which leaves Lavia and Ndidi.  The latter has apparently dropped off massively this season according to Leicester fans and we’re not really in the market for backups.  The former we have been linked heavily with - apparently Joe Shields is a big fan - but how he fares given the rumours of Ugarte etc I don’t know. 

As Bison said, Harvey Barnes is one id definitely look at for the right price.  Works hard, strong and has an eye for goal.  Him, alongside James Ward-Prowse, are the common-sense signings we’ve probably been lacking over the last couple of years whilst we’ve chased Europe’s next big thing 

None of the above are leaders which the squad is bereft of. 

25 minutes ago, ROTG said:

None of the above are leaders which the squad is bereft of. 

Not quite that straight forward and I’d argue that JWP is definitely a leader, but nevertheless, who do you suggest? 

Sterling, Koulibaly and Enzo are all supposed to have leadership qualities but can’t say that any of those traits have particularly helped us this season.  I’d also argue that Arsenal and Man City don’t have anymore leaders than we do, they just have better players, better fitness, better coaching and a lot more stability throughout the club.  

What we need predominantly is goals. It’s a moot point because it was just a list that Bob posted, but Ward-Prowse and Barnes have scored 20 goals this season between them for clubs that were relegated.   If someone offered me that next season from our number 6 and left winger I’d bite your hand off….

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Bison said:

I tend to agree. Not sure it's fitness, either. Hopefully it's just a perfect storm of crappy circumstances, but from what we've seen since January he looks a terribly limited football. A fantastic athlete and a sure pick for the slightly edgy one in a 90s boy band, maybe, but not a mercurial footballer. 

I remember loving Ramires for his athletic ability and wishing he had a bit more about him as a footballer. Funny to think how much his technique pisses all over some of the speed merchants (Werner, Mudryk) we have had since.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

I tend to agree. Not sure it's fitness, either. Hopefully it's just a perfect storm of crappy circumstances, but from what we've seen since January he looks a terribly limited football. A fantastic athlete and a sure pick for the slightly edgy one in a 90s boy band, maybe, but not a mercurial footballer. 

I remember loving Ramires for his athletic ability and wishing he had a bit more about him as a footballer. Funny to think how much his technique pisses all over some of the speed merchants (Werner, Mudryk) we have had since.

The goals against Citeh and UEFAlona showed superb skills. I loved ol’ Rambo.

• Agree 1