Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

5 hours ago, ROTG said:

Ok

Don't you remember your post to me last season about KDH is not coming to Chelsea. 

Anyway nice to see the club allegedly selling and England international for £4m more than his championship replacement 

No I don't . 

2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

So now they’ll keep telling us Gallagher has turned down all the contracts they’ve offered and he wanted out. Don’t believe it, personally. Even if it was true, I don’t blame him, after the season he had he gets offered an extension of 2 seasons and an option for a 3rd, when they’re dishing out 7/8 year contracts to players who have barely played any top level football. Stinks.

This is one area I'm not super critical of the club on if I'm honest.

The 7/8 year deals aren't top earners afaik, at least not on a weekly basis. If Gallagher was to become one of the highest earners we'd be mad to commit to more than a 2+1 deal in my opinion.

He's become emblematic of the ownership issues (flogging academy players, no plan, ripping the heart out of the club etc) but the reality is, he just isn't that good.

If his season last year warrants a long term deal as a highest earners in your eyes, it only serves to show us how far we've fallen.

42 minutes ago, ChelseaJambo said:

This is one area I'm not super critical of the club on if I'm honest.

The 7/8 year deals aren't top earners afaik, at least not on a weekly basis. If Gallagher was to become one of the highest earners we'd be mad to commit to more than a 2+1 deal in my opinion.

He's become emblematic of the ownership issues (flogging academy players, no plan, ripping the heart out of the club etc) but the reality is, he just isn't that good.

If his season last year warrants a long term deal as a highest earners in your eyes, it only serves to show us how far we've fallen.

I’m not saying he should be out highest earner, but what he’s done over the last couple of seasons, last season especially, deserves a proper contract at his age. Another 4/5 years on a decent wage, is exactly what he will get elsewhere.

He’d be more deserving of it than a lot of our players to be honest.

3 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

, when they’re dishing out 7/8 year contracts to players who have barely played any top level football. Stinks.

This was to spread the cost of the transfer fee as much as anything, from what I understand.

Personally, I am not as outraged as most about this. If we are moving to a high-possession style of football, I am not sure he is a great fit. Fantastic worker, great energy, but not technically brilliant. I actually think moving to Spain is an odd one. Slower game, more technical and less physical contact. He gets booked pretty regularly in the Prem, which is far more lenient than La Liga.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

This was to spread the cost of the transfer fee as much as anything, from what I understand.

Personally, I am not as outraged as most about this. If we are moving to a high-possession style of football, I am not sure he is a great fit. Fantastic worker, great energy, but not technically brilliant. I actually think moving to Spain is an odd one. Slower game, more technical and less physical contact. He gets booked pretty regularly in the Prem, which is far more lenient than La Liga.

Atletico have always liked a combative player. Simeone will get the best out of him. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Ham said:

Atletico have always liked a combative player. Simeone will get the best out of him. 

You might be right. Deffo the right coach, but I'd worry about the refereeing 

Much as I love him as a player, he has a tendency to be a bit wild from time to time. It's probably why I love him. I think he might end up with an awful lot of suspensions in Spanish football, though. I'll still be disappointed if he goes.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Where does that say I don't think we're signing him?

On the contrary I seem to be confirming you were right all along !

No MK - I actual said loan with an option to buy just incase he couldn't cut it - Anyway its history

So Gallgher turns down a contract extension in 2022 as he wanted to be a regular starter.

Turned down another contract in June.

Turned down another contract yesterday. 

Wages comparable to the top earners in his position. 

How much of the above is true we will never know but I do find it hard to believe the club would outright lie about it yet it appears, and whenever I say things like this I'm not directing it solely at people on here, most have already made their minds up and it's still the boards fault. Even after he's turned down three contract extensions it's somehow the boards fault. 

You can make a good argument that he won't start as many games under the new manager, literally everyone agrees with this. Some seem to think he should just accept this and sign a new, long term contract which is one of the things I've always struggled with in regards to keeping our youth team players who no doubt want some assurances on playing time yet people think they should just accept being a squad player and if not it's the clubs fault for getting rid of them, even though they want to leave.

It could be said that the club offering him 2+1 is because he's already turned down contracts based on wanting assurances on his playing time so giving him a shorter option is actually beneficial to him. If it doesn't work out how he wants he can move on. If he becomes one of our key players he can extend. No doubt with another big signing on bonus and on better terms. There is literally no benefit,  for the club , to offer him a short deal. None. 

The 2022 bit is the most interesting.  Coming off a couple of successful loan spells with 3 years left on his existing deal he probably felt like he deserved more than he was on, which he did, but also wants some assurances on playing time which we couldn't give him. What is interesting is he did sign a new contract as his original one started in 2020 but his current deal was agreed in 2022. So did we give him more money? Almost certainly but no extension.

Did the club offer him an extension aswell as more money? You'd have to say in all likelihood yes. This board clearly like a long contract but I would guess he didn't want to tie himself down for 5+ years on the terms they offered , at the time, so he ended up basically getting a pay rise on his existing deal.

The following season he was pretty much exactly what everyone thought he was, a useful squad player so were we wrong with not offering him what he wanted in 2022? It was only last year that he really broke through and became a key player so we offer him an extension in June, which he turns down. We then come back with another offer yesterday, which again he turns down.

Crazy thing is most fans, in 2022 when it appears we gave him a pay rise but he turned down an extension,  would have sold him for the right money yet now blame the board when it appears they have offered him, multiple extensions, which he has rejected.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

There is literally no benefit,  for the club , to offer him a short deal. None. 

Of course there is. They're trying to protect his transfer value because they risk losing him for far less than he's worth now or for nothing in 12 months time.

Gallagher should not accept a rubbish two year deal under this circumstances. He will only be doing them a favour. 

26 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Crazy thing is most fans, in 2022 when it appears we gave him a pay rise but he turned down an extension,  would have sold him for the right money yet now blame the board when it appears they have offered him, multiple extensions, which he has rejected.

100%. It wouldn't take much forensic deep-diving into the forum to see numerous posts supporting this (some of them from me).

Also, Martin, what happened to Thameslink this morning? My train was cancelled. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Bison said:

Of course there is. They're trying to protect his transfer value because they risk losing him for far less than he's worth now or for nothing in 12 months time.

Gallagher should not accept a rubbish two year deal under this circumstances. He will only be doing them a favour. 

So, how is it more beneficial to offer a short term deal as opposed to a long-term deal in terms of protecting his transfer value?

Of course he shouldn't accept a 2+1 year offer but what if we've only offered that because he's already turned down much longer contracts?

So much we don't know. So easy to just blame the board.

1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

100%. It wouldn't take much forensic deep-diving into the forum to see numerous posts supporting this (some of them from me).

Also, Martin, what happened to Thameslink this morning? My train was cancelled. 

No idea mate, I'm on leave, enjoying the sunshine up the river. And I work for a different company but if I had to guess I'd say the driver fancied a few days off in the sun so maybe woke up with a cough. Or bad back. Or chest infection. Or sore throat. Or any other excuse they haven't already used this year.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

So, how is it more beneficial to offer a short term deal as opposed a long-term deal in terms of protecting his transfer value?

Of course he shouldn't accept a 2+1 year offer but what if we've only offered that because he's already turned down much longer contracts?

So much we don't know. So easy to just blame the board.

Players with several years left on their deal are generally sold for more money than players with 12 months left on their deal. 

And we know they want to sell him and have been trying to do so for over a year.  They have spent over £300m on four midfielders (Caicedo, Enzo, Lavia and Dewsbury-Hall), Gallagher simply isn't part of their plans.

Why should he commit to a new deal (whatever the contract length) knowing he'll be sold to the higest bidder because selling academy players is part of the model.

2 minutes ago, Bison said:

Players with several years left on their deal are generally sold for more money than players with 12 months left on their deal. 

So how does a 2 year deal benefit the club above a 5+ year deal?

And we know they want to sell him and have been trying to do so for over a year.  They have spent over £300m on four midfielders (Caicedo, Enzo, Lavia and Dewsbury-Hall), Gallagher simply isn't part of their plans.

Have they though? We keep hearing this in the media and he's still here. Why haven't we sold him? Is it possible that, despite the fact that he's been being sold three windows in a row now we are actually doing everything to keep him. Three contract offers would suggest maybe thats the case.

Why should he commit to a new deal (whatever the contract length) knowing he'll be sold to the higest bidder because selling academy players is part of the model.

I've never suggested he should sign. If we wanted to sell him so badly why haven't we? Why didn't we sell him last summer?

There has to be some perspective. If we haven't sold him, despite all the rumours,  have offered him 3 contracts that he's rejected it could just be that there's more to this than the board being at fault.

24 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

No idea mate, I'm on leave, enjoying the sunshine up the river. And I work for a different company but if I had to guess I'd say the driver fancied a few days off in the sun so maybe woke up with a cough. Or bad back. Or chest infection. Or sore throat. Or any other excuse they haven't already used this year.

Train fault or Network Rail signaling issues are the favourite excuses over this side. I wouldn’t mind but I’m a train engineer and know there’s no fault with the train!

Agree with a lot of what you’re saying about Gallagher, we’ll probably never know the true sequence of events but my feeling is that he has turned down contract offers, again for reasons we’ll never hear of. I’ll be happier if he moves abroad as I really don’t want to see him in a Spurs shirt.

• Like 1

Where does it say that Connor wants a guarantee of more playing time or being a nailed on fixture in the team? He was Chelsea captain last season and played nearly every game. When they say he's been offered wages that match the top earners, is that players from the previous regime ie: Sterling, James etc or on a par with players who have been bought by the new owners. The fact that certain Twitter commentators have released the same briefing at the same time stinks of brown envelopes. Cannot wait to see our lightweight midfield get run through on a regular basis.

6 minutes ago, blueboy1905 said:

. Cannot wait to see our lightweight midfield get run through on a regular basis.

Why would you want to see that? To make a point ? About something none of us know any of the facts about?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

20 minutes ago, blueboy1905 said:

Where does it say that Connor wants a guarantee of more playing time or being a nailed on fixture in the team? He was Chelsea captain last season and played nearly every game. When they say he's been offered wages that match the top earners, is that players from the previous regime ie: Sterling, James etc or on a par with players who have been bought by the new owners. The fact that certain Twitter commentators have released the same briefing at the same time stinks of brown envelopes. Cannot wait to see our lightweight midfield get run through on a regular basis.

Really? No one knows anything especially those charlatans and blowhard ITKs on socials.

I am concerned about our lack of physicality in midfield but Caicedo really improved and Lavia looks like he can take of that side too. 💀✌️💯