Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

2 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I guess more people are going to believe this now. 

This is really funny. Maresca has said he wants to play a high press, man-to-man marking off the ball. I can't think of anybody in our squad more suited to that style of play than Gallagher. 

In what world is Enzo (one of the slowest players in the league and a  liability out of possession) better suited to these tactics?

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

So he’s not leaving?

If we are to believe what they are saying, then he’s been told he can have a new contract, it will only be for 2 extra season and you’ll be a squad player and not a starter.

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

He's 24 years old coming into his prime years, why on earth would he accept a 2 year deal?   If he accepted it, by the end of next season he'd be in exactly the same position he's in today.   And the fact that they've put out a mass briefing like this paints them in a good light just shows how tone deaf they are. 

Gallagher's next deal is likely to be the biggest of his career and clearly he wants the security that goes with that.  We had no trouble tying in the likes of Colwill, Chalobah and Broja to long contracts so this just smacks of trying to ensure they protect their asset from leaving for free.  

I think this is the most likely scenario, with a little bit of ambiguity thrown in for good measure.

What likely happened is that the new management team made it clear to Conor that he was surplus to requirements, didn't fit the system, etc. (and already brought in KDH!) They didn't want him leaving for free (as you said), so they offered him a new 2-year deal and improved wages. He's coming into his prime, doesn't want to be a squad player and  doesn't want settle for that deal, so he's decided to move on. 

Chelsea acting in good faith notwithstanding, they say, "Well, we tried, everyone." So, as @Ham said, Conor's team can't come out and rebut because, technically, it's true. Chelsea knew that, if Conor accepted the deal, they'd still look to ship him out. And, if he didn't, they could come out with the message that they tried. 

A lot of half-truths to these kinds of stories. Or, lies of omission—however you choose to look at it. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

This will be Gallagher briefing then, if it isn't just 100% invented by journalists. And an attempt to keep supporters onside. Funny thing is, he doesn't have to try.

I doubt it's coming from Gallagher's side. One of the club's client journos is padding out the story a little, they're even looking out for Gallagher's 2026 World Cup hopes! How nice of them. 

1 minute ago, Bison said:

I doubt it's coming from Gallagher's side. One of the club's client journos is padding out the story a little, they're even looking out for Gallagher's 2026 World Cup hopes! How nice of them. 

Maybe but I'm not so sure. Is a coach going to be telling players, in July/early August and who haven't yet reported to training, that they are either already in or not in their preferred starting XI? Only at a terribly run club so I guess possible, but not likely imo.

And then what do the club stand to gain from briefing this? It makes them look bad, they're the ones benching the fan favourite before he's even stepped foot in pre-season. But it does have some PR benefits for Gallagher to put out there "look what the club is doing to me".

I don't blame and won't criticise him for it, but to my mind it's the sort of thing that his camp would see value in briefing.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Maybe but I'm not so sure. Is a coach going to be telling players, in July/early August and who haven't yet reported to training, that they are either already in or not in their preferred starting XI? Only at a terribly run club so I guess possible, but not likely imo.

And then what do the club stand to gain from briefing this? It makes them look bad, they're the ones benching the fan favourite before he's even stepped foot in pre-season. But it does have some PR benefits for Gallagher to put out there "look what the club is doing to me".

I don't blame and won't criticise him for it, but to my mind it's the sort of thing that his camp would see value in briefing.

It's not the coach, it's the two directors who desperately need to claw some money back and reduce the size of this bloated squad. 

Chalobah and Gallagher are the two who have been earmarked for sales to make this nonsense work for another year or two. It's why Chalobah is in London training with the kids whilst an injured Disasi is on tour.

They are being phased out for not complying (Chalobah rejected Forest, Gallagher rejected Villa).

Maresca barely even factors. He's not making these decisions. He's just the Lidl Guardiola in charge for the next 4 months. 

2 hours ago, Rob B said:

I know your post isn't aimed at me because I've not commented on the situation but from my perspective it isn't that that are lying in the briefing necessarily, it's actually what they've offered him. 

He's 24 years old coming into his prime years, why on earth would he accept a 2 year deal?   If he accepted it, by the end of next season he'd be in exactly the same position he's in today.   And the fact that they've put out a mass briefing like this paints them in a good light just shows how tone deaf they are. 

Gallagher's next deal is likely to be the biggest of his career and clearly he wants the security that goes with that.  We had no trouble tying in the likes of Colwill, Chalobah and Broja to long contracts so this just smacks of trying to ensure they protect their asset from leaving for free.  

They’ve very likely offered him a two year deal to protect his value. Problem is that a player like him, with how he is handled himself despite the club trying to sell him for two years, deserves more than that. The club is really acting in bad faith here. Classless, which is to be expected by this bunch. 

58 minutes ago, Bison said:

I guess more people are going to believe this now. 

This is really funny. Maresca has said he wants to play a high press, man-to-man marking off the ball. I can't think of anybody in our squad more suited to that style of play than Gallagher. 

In what world is Enzo (one of the slowest players in the league and a  liability out of possession) better suited to these tactics?

I don’t understand why he wants rid of him. I makes no sense. But maybe it’s not Maresca who wants him gone? Maybe he’s just been told that we are selling Gallagher and that’s that? 

55 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

If we are to believe what they are saying, then he’s been told he can have a new contract, it will only be for 2 extra season and you’ll be a squad player and not a starter.

I don’t think this is true. I think this part is made up by journalists. 

36 minutes ago, jonnyverco said:

I think this is the most likely scenario, with a little bit of ambiguity thrown in for good measure.

What likely happened is that the new management team made it clear to Conor that he was surplus to requirements, didn't fit the system, etc. (and already brought in KDH!) They didn't want him leaving for free (as you said), so they offered him a new 2-year deal and improved wages. He's coming into his prime, doesn't want to be a squad player and  doesn't want settle for that deal, so he's decided to move on. 

Chelsea acting in good faith notwithstanding, they say, "Well, we tried, everyone." So, as @Ham said, Conor's team can't come out and rebut because, technically, it's true. Chelsea knew that, if Conor accepted the deal, they'd still look to ship him out. And, if he didn't, they could come out with the message that they tried. 

A lot of half-truths to these kinds of stories. Or, lies of omission—however you choose to look at it. 

Agreed but with a small amendment. The club has tried to sell him for two years. Connor isn’t stupid, so he’d be mad to accept a two year deal from this lot. 

He should be commended for declining advances from other PL teams. Him declining a move and only being interested now that A Madrid is on the table speaks volumes of his character. Proper Chels. But we seemingly don’t like that, we’d rather have foreign imports with zero connection to the club, it’s history or its fans. It’s a dangerous strategy and may really come back to bite them in the ass. 

18 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I don’t understand why he wants rid of him. I makes no sense. But maybe it’s not Maresca who wants him gone? Maybe he’s just been told that we are selling Gallagher and that’s that? 

Maresca definitely isn't making these choices. Quite obvious one of the reasons he was given the job is because D&D pick the squad and he accepts having little to no responsibility for how it's assembled.

Edited by Bison

53 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Maybe but I'm not so sure. Is a coach going to be telling players, in July/early August and who haven't yet reported to training, that they are either already in or not in their preferred starting XI?

Remember the club hired a coach who will do exactly what he is told by the scouts. 

it’s no longer a coaches team, it’s a team put together by scouts with a coach to train them.  It’s so moneyball 

28 minutes ago, Bison said:

D&D upset they didn't get their way.

Gallagher 🫡

Cry me a river, if true. 

Pathetic specimens, deserving of the £30+million going into Mr Gallagher’s pockets instead of the ownership’s.

28 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Well if anyone would know it's the Tottenham correspondent for "the Sun" 

Fair enough, I understand it's easier to shoot the messenger. 

1 hour ago, Bison said:

Fair enough, I understand it's easier to shoot the messenger. 

Well, let's be honest here, aren't Spurs one of the teams who are after Gallagher? 

Vested interest I think perhaps? 

2 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

With any luck, Roman can buy back the club from these morons once they get tired of finishing midtable. 

He’s the only one who could do a madness like that. Imagine the reception at his homecoming. The greatest owner ever and the ultimate lad 🤣🤣🤩🩷✌️

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

He’s the only one who could do a madness like that. Imagine the reception at his homecoming. The greatest owner ever and the ultimate lad 🤣🤣🤩🩷✌️

And he got us!

One of the reasons he was such a great owner, was that he became a fan and one of us. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

No problem in telling him he’ll have to fight for a place in the first team, but banishing him from training is petty beyond belief, same as what they’ve done to Chalobah, these owners don’t know the meaning of class.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

No problem in telling him he’ll have to fight for a place in the first team, but banishing him from training is petty beyond belief, same as what they’ve done to Chalobah, these owners don’t know the meaning of class.

They certainly don’t. 

I know I’m fairly negative these days, but Jeaus Christ these guys are fucking clueless beyond belief. 

1 minute ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I know I’m fairly negative these days, but Jeaus Christ these guys are fucking clueless beyond belief. 

I think they’re just very dishonest, manipulative people. 

4 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

I find it very hard to believe that the club have genuinely said "You're training with the kids". 

Seems a step too far. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1