Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

Well, the inevitable has happened, good luck to him. I really don’t get why some managers and even owners now have cult followings, but they cannot do any wrong in the eyes of some people, but selling Gallagher definitely isn’t what’s best for the squad. 

19 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Gutted that they’re selling Gallagher. Mainly because I don’t want to see him go because he’s ’proper Chels’ and understands what it means to represent this club. I also think his performances deserved a proper new contract and feel he would have been an important member of our squad. Personally, I just think he’s one of those players you don’t sell… home grown, heart of a lion, good enough on the pitch and has a proper connection to the club and fans. I know he’s only got 1 year left on his contract, but to see the fee we’re getting for him compared the fees we’ve played for some of our players is shocking. 

If I were in doubt about how the owners view the club, the fans, the academy, then this sale tells me all I need to know. Sad, but inevitable. 

Exactly Sam.

25 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Gutted that they’re selling Gallagher. Mainly because I don’t want to see him go because he’s ’proper Chels’ and understands what it means to represent this club. I also think his performances deserved a proper new contract and feel he would have been an important member of our squad. Personally, I just think he’s one of those players you don’t sell… home grown, heart of a lion, good enough on the pitch and has a proper connection to the club and fans. I know he’s only got 1 year left on his contract, but to see the fee we’re getting for him compared the fees we’ve played for some of our players is shocking. 

If I were in doubt about how the owners view the club, the fans, the academy, then this sale tells me all I need to know. Sad, but inevitable. 

Exactly! You'll get some people with limited emotional attachment to the club saying that this is a good business and footballing decision as he wouldn't be a guaranteed starter given the other midfield options we have. But if you get rid of all the players that come through the academy and actually love the club, you really just have a bunch of mercenaries that happen to be playing in West London. We all know football is going that way anyway and you're forcing yourself to believe that "loving the club" is still something that exists, but decisions like this (and Chalobah) are really accelerating the process.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

Exactly! You'll get some people with limited emotional attachment to the club saying that this is a good business and footballing decision as he wouldn't be a guaranteed starter given the other midfield options we have. But if you get rid of all the players that come through the academy and actually love the club, you really just have a bunch of mercenaries that happen to be playing in West London. We all know football is going that way anyway and you're forcing yourself to believe that "loving the club" is still something that exists, but decisions like this (and Chalobah) are really accelerating the process.

I don't disagree with the sentiment I know sits underneath this, but I think the bit in bold in particular just does not stack up. We have had plenty of players come here over the years, having had their football education elsewhere, demonstrate clearly and time and time again their love for Chelsea. Many of them have left or even retired and still show that love all the time.

We've also had academy products who, no criticism of them at all, have seemed pretty happy to move on at the first sign of challenge or disagreement.

Sad Gallagher is going. Hope he does well for Atletico.

26 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

Blame PSR.  

This is going to keep happening until they change the rules. 

• Like 1
  • Disagree 2

31 minutes ago, Ham said:

Blame PSR.  

Of course PSR wouldn't be such an issue if the Club wasn't spending like a rich American teenager after getting their first credit card.... 

We shouldn't even be near the point where selling him and Trev is a necessary action rather than selling players that can't get into the team because the others are better, but here we are 😐

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ham said:

Blame PSR.  

Part of it, but the majority of the reasons for the sales are as per the below

1 hour ago, Lump Of Celery said:

BS, absolutely no need to be stockpiling mediocre players in the way we are

Makes you wonder why? Well it does me. Some people are making a great deal of money, and where there is money, there are the bad things that follow it.

49 minutes ago, Bert19 said:

Of course PSR wouldn't be such an issue if the Club wasn't spending like a rich American teenager after getting their first credit card.... 

We shouldn't even be near the point where selling him and Trev is a necessary action rather than selling players that can't get into the team because the others are better, but here we are 😐

Quite right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lump Of Celery said:

BS, absolutely no need to be stockpiling mediocre players in the way we are

Given the demographic of players we've largely signed, it's only been with the benefit of hindsight that arriving at "mediocre" can, or has, been made.  

Many lamented signing a mediocre Palmer and now he's virtually the prize jewel of the team at present. 

4 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Given the demographic of players we've largely signed, it's only been with the benefit of hindsight that arriving at "mediocre" can, or has, been made.  

Many lamented signing a mediocre Palmer and now he's virtually the prize jewel of the team at present. 

45m of the 1b spent

next

Part of being a fan is the emotional aspect, favourite players etc. Seems like the new owners are treating players like cattle, which makes it hard to really relate and build an emotional connection between fans and players. The same probably applies to their signings too, and  I suspect will foster a mercenary attitude amongst the players. The only players where some of that connection exists (for me at least) now is the academy graduates, and I find the way they are being banished form the first team is classless and distasteful. It's one thing to send Kepa, Lukaku et al to the reserves when they've shown they don't want to be here, but not to our own that have given their all for the club and IMO want to stay

I find the smear campaigns briefed to their media puppets equally classless and distasteful. It is also pretty clear that the mutual parting of Poch was probably all to do with disagreements on these players being in the squad. It's also clear the new manager has had no input on whether they stay or go, instead we've ended up with a yes man with 1 year in the job so we can have "joined up ethos form top to bottom". I suspect that ethos form the top is to line their own pockets without any regard to the fans, or should I say customers.

I wonder what their next genius move will be once we've discarded all the PSR cash cows that can actually bring in money. There doesn't appear to be any discernible development pathway for half the new signings or our academy players. The season starts in 2 weeks and I think it has been posted on here that we have 15+ players to find game time for elsewhere

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

A real "can't see the wood for the trees" analysis, this. No one here, and I really mean literally no one, will have had much first-hand knowledge of anything but 3 or 4 of the signings made during and since the January 2023 window where the MO drastically changed, so no one will have been well placed to be dissecting the merits of each individual player ... until they'd seen them play a bit.

But that is a fundamental missing of the point. All of us are well positioned to see that the MO overall, the strategy, has lead to a fair few players coming in who have shown little to nothing to suggest the strategy is or will work.

Anyone who was dubious of signing Palmer based on that broader context was being completely reasonable. Anyone dubious of, idk, Veiga or Guiu or Jorgensen coming in and the likes of Gallagher going out, is being similarly reasonable. 

The problem with "wait and see" is that the frog is well and truly boiled by the time everyone agrees they've waited and seen enough. 

Edited by thevelourfog
  • Agree 1

Just now, Chelsea_Matt said:

I’d get rid of Sterling, Fernandez, Big Les, Sanchez, Petrovic and Mudryk (to name just a few) before I sold Palmer. Or Trev.  😔💀👀🫶🏻

Sterling hasn't put a foot wrong in pre-season.  

Why's he on your list?

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Ham said:

Sterling hasn't put a foot wrong in pre-season.  

Why's he on your list?

Two years of his reported salary / low goalscoring return / poor decision making in front of goal / free-kick taking / penalty taking / weeks on end of sub-par performances.  

There's probably a fair bit to choose from TBF. He's not a problem when he plays well, but those games have been few and far between given his reputation and what we know he's capable of

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Yeah , you tell 'em.

They've only signed one good player . 

No that is not the case

however not sure how many of them are living up to their initial transfer fee.