Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

26 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

We made an abundance of ill-advised transfers under Roman, including splashing significant fees (at the time) for flashy names that ultimately failed to live up to the billing. 

There are no guarantees, even if everything looks "perfect" on paper. 

Agreed, there’s examples like Shevchenko, Morata and even Kepa, but I’d argue we had a lot more hits than misses during that time. I’ve never had a problem with signing young talent, my arguments always been that we need to balance it out with experience, but we’re never doing that. 

4 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

Agreed, there’s examples like Shevchenko, Morata and even Kepa, but I’d argue we had a lot more hits than misses during that time. I’ve never had a problem with signing young talent, my arguments always been that we need to balance it out with experience, but we’re never doing that. 

We had many hits, I agree with that. Some of that IMO was also aided by the wider talent pool, our ability to outspend most teams, and of course some much needed luck that all clubs need when signing players. 

But yeah, I too would like to see a couple of more experienced heads arrive - specifically with leadership qualities at CB, but I guess that doesn't necessarily satisfy people either based on the reception players like Sterling and Koulibaly received for example. 

The one thing I think we're all wanting is signing that can immediately perform, elevate the team, and propel us forward. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Re Samu Omorodion.

Reading the words of a few Atletico fans online it appears he's very highly rated within their ranks, having been signed immediately after playing against them last summer. Has some unique "hard to teach" qualities, but also requires work on things like his finishing. A different type of striker to that of Jackson or Nkunku, does more of his work inside the box, gets in behind, strong in the air, and a willing presser out of possession.

From what I've read so far he sounds more like the sort of striker you want against lower block sides that sit in deep, so I suppose we'll see and learn a bit more should this deal transpire. 

Absolutely another top draw game changing signing, TBSD better act quick as they are competing with west spam and Nottingham Forrest for his signature. 

15 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

The one thing I think we're all wanting is signing that can immediately perform, elevate the team, and propel us forward. 

Absolutely and as talented as I’m sure Omorodion is, we don’t really need to be signing more strikers that need to work on their finishing. 

2 hours ago, Floyd25 said:

Signing another 13 year old striker over a proven world class one because we don’t want to spend the money on wages…what could possibly go wrong? Getting pretty fed up now to be honest, gonna be so light weight in certain areas again. 

who's the proven world class striker we can't afford because osimhen is not proven world class 

Edited by VA96

14 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

This and ...

... this. So we're actually going to give Atletico that money they need to sign Gallagher so we can have it back as "pure profit" to spend on another  completely separate fucking portfolio signing kid.

We're so done as an actual football club.

This is what they have been doing for some time. Only this time we are actually buying a bang average La Liga striker and we know it. 

How many attacking midfielders from South America for, let’s face it, absurd money, can we buy and develop? Paez, Estevao, Mec. That’s three, who all basically occupy the same position on the pitch as Palmer, Nkunku, Mudryk and Madueke. What it means for the pathway for George is clear though. 

They are using a tried and tested PE strategy and copied it to football players. The only problem here is that our ability to develop the players are very much impacted negatively by volume. In PE that’s not the case at all. I’m not sure these guys understands this. 

Maresca is even worse than I thought. He's seemingly happy to be the front man for the con.

It's not a Premier League problem, it's short term relief for badly managed clubs who rely on the 'pure profit' accounting trick. 

D&D probably can't believe their luck that Maresca is happy to say this nonsense on their behalf.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, VA96 said:

who's the proven world class striker we can't afford because osimhen is not proven world class 

Maybe not proven world class, but certainly proven top draw in my opinion, feel free to disagree. 

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

This is what they have been doing for some time. Only this time we are actually buying a bang average La Liga striker and we know it. 

How many attacking midfielders from South America for, let’s face it, absurd money, can we buy and develop? Paez, Estevao, Mec. That’s three, who all basically occupy the same position on the pitch as Palmer, Nkunku, Mudryk and Madueke. What it means for the pathway for George is clear though. 

Gabriel Mec is €6m plus add ons.  Hardly absurd money.  

The other two look like potentially generational talents at this stage. 

6 minutes ago, Ham said:

Gabriel Mec is €6m plus add ons.  Hardly absurd money.  

The other two look like potentially generational talents at this stage. 

I dont have a problem in us trying to cherry pick the cream of the crop, and am excited abouth the few players mentioned. But its the signings like Casadei, Ogochukwu, Angelo, Washington, Caleb Wiley, Kellyman, Veiga etc. Having 5 average keepers on the books. It is just stockpiling players that have no realistic chance of playing here.

I reckon those lots are costing £25-£30m in amortisation payments annually which will require selling one or two good academy players every summer. I suspect a few of them will be playing development level football this year or get dumped into a badly thought out domestic loan.

Then on top of that there are some big fee players, who are at least contributing to the 1st team, where it was obvious at the time that we overpaid. Enzo, Sanchez, paying more than City were going to pay for Cucurella. Poorly scouted players like Mudryk. 

7 hours ago, Floyd25 said:

Absolutely and as talented as I’m sure Omorodion is, we don’t really need to be signing more strikers that need to work on their finishing. 

I saw that and cringed, the same as you. 

This is starting to remind me of those programmes you see on daytime TV sometimes about the dotty old person who lives alone in their house and has spent all they own on "things" and cannot throw anything away. So they live in squalid, unmanageable filth, piled high with newspapers, cutlery, boxes, waste and so on until it eventually kills them. 

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

£64m plus add ons, but still a surprising amount of money for him and also a surprising amount to see Atletico splash out on a player.

There were reports that Athleti had a cash injection of 70+ million Euros - Atletico Madrid to receive €70m cash injection ahead of summer rebuild - Yahoo Sports

So, I'm assuming this is paying for Alvarez and their purchase of Gallagher will be eventually funded by us buying their reserve/young striker.

21 minutes ago, Morgs said:

This is starting to remind me of those programmes you see on daytime TV sometimes about the dotty old person who lives alone in their house and has spent all they own on "things" and cannot throw anything away. So they live in squalid, unmanageable filth, piled high with newspapers, cutlery, boxes, waste and so on until it eventually kills them. 

Hoarders 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤡🌎

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Can you imagine if that was us ? The usual suspects would be having kittens.

Meanwhile City , buy a player on the cheap from Argentina and use him for a bit before upgrading with Haaland and selling him for a huge profit.

Sounds like a plan .

Unless you're us , where it's unbridled madness. 

I think we are overdoing it to a degree but you get my drift 

I do get your drift. The only problem is that they can flip players for big bucks cos the team is winning and playing well so naturally teams would want to buy their players. 

31 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

I do get your drift. The only problem is that they can flip players for big bucks cos the team is winning and playing well so naturally teams would want to buy their players. 

I don't believe our plan is to play badly and go out of business because everyone thinks our players are rubbish though to be fair .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

Also easier to slip one or two into a well oiled, well drilled side full of experienced players that have spent some time playing together. I'm not sure replacing 95% of the playing, coaching, academy, medical and backroom staff over period of 2 years is likely to provide much stability and yield as many benefits on a sporting level.

• Agree 1