Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

I have just been on Twitter or X for a look to see what's happening transfer wise and hilariously as well as the pro Clearlake lot and the pro Cobham lot bitching between themselves ( far worse than on here ) there are actually people who are in two camps squabbling about who's the best between  Ornstein and Romano , people would literally argue about anything. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I have just been on Twitter or X for a look to see what's happening transfer wise and hilariously as well as the pro Clearlake lot and the pro Cobham lot bitching between themselves ( far worse than on here ) there are actually people who are in two camps squabbling about who's the best between  Ornstein and Romano , people would literally argue about anything. 

Twatter.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

They’d start a fight in an empty room. 💀💀💀🤡🌎

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Ham said:

Gabriel Mec is €6m plus add ons.  Hardly absurd money.  

The other two look like potentially generational talents at this stage. 

Also a useful reminder with respects to some of these young players arriving in the future.

Despite having signed them now, there cost won't reflect on the books until they officially join. Meaning they technically aren't impacting our spending right now, just takes PSR management for down the line.

3 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Can you imagine if that was us ? The usual suspects would be having kittens.

Meanwhile City , buy a player on the cheap from Argentina and use him for a bit before upgrading with Haaland and selling him for a huge profit.

Sounds like a plan .

Unless you're us , where it's unbridled madness. 

I think we are overdoing it to a degree but you get my drift 

Who have Clearlake, D&D bought, developed and sold for huge profits?

Have they sold a single player for more than they bought him for?

Oh, and who is our Haaland in this scenario? 

5 hours ago, Bison said:

Maresca is even worse than I thought. He's seemingly happy to be the front man for the con.

It's not a Premier League problem, it's short term relief for badly managed clubs who rely on the 'pure profit' accounting trick. 

D&D probably can't believe their luck that Maresca is happy to say this nonsense on their behalf.

It's not luck, it's what he was recruited and is paid to do.

The real mindfuck for them must be that someone they've recruited is actually doing as expected!

4 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

£64m plus add ons, but still a surprising amount of money for him and also a surprising amount to see Atletico splash out on a player.

Idk, it seems pretty much in keeping with the market to me. An established player at this point, with real pedigree. We're spending over half that amount on someone who has nothing like even a dash of that track record.

3 hours ago, Morgs said:

This is starting to remind me of those programmes you see on daytime TV sometimes about the dotty old person who lives alone in their house and has spent all they own on "things" and cannot throw anything away. So they live in squalid, unmanageable filth, piled high with newspapers, cutlery, boxes, waste and so on until Romelu Lukaku eventually kills them. 

Fixed this for you!

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Lump Of Celery said:

I dont have a problem in us trying to cherry pick the cream of the crop, and am excited abouth the few players mentioned. But its the signings like Casadei, Ogochukwu, Angelo, Washington, Caleb Wiley, Kellyman, Veiga etc. Having 5 average keepers on the books. It is just stockpiling players that have no realistic chance of playing here.

I reckon those lots are costing £25-£30m in amortisation payments annually which will require selling one or two good academy players every summer. I suspect a few of them will be playing development level football this year or get dumped into a badly thought out domestic loan.

Then on top of that there are some big fee players, who are at least contributing to the 1st team, where it was obvious at the time that we overpaid. Enzo, Sanchez, paying more than City were going to pay for Cucurella. Poorly scouted players like Mudryk. 

TBF

• Casadei was very highly regarded within the Inter and Italian youth setup. 
  • Ogochukwu was having a bright rise within the Rennais setup and earned a senior place pretty quick through strong performances. 
  • Angelo was said to have considerable talent, which I mean when you debut for the senior side at 15 and already had 100+ appearances there surely has to be an element of truth there, right? And showed some of that ability last season at Strasbourg. We've spent €15m in worse ways over the years.

Not going to go through the rest, but just because you, I, or anyone else on here hasn't heard of these players doesn't make investment in them unwise. In quite a few cases we weren't even the only club interested in many of them. 

And sure, there's a pretty good chance some of these may only spend the next 2-3 years here before being sold, but that's also in part the plan - as discussed to death on here previously. Now, it may mean selling someone at present to fund the collective, but it's something that also allows us to continue to have spending power in the future as well. 

Not going to disagree we overpaid for certain players, we have absolutely. On the flip side, people would also complain had we been cheap. There's bit of a "between a rock and hard place" situation.

26 minutes ago, Bison said:

Oh, and who is our Haaland in this scenario? 

Do you not fully understand the concept of " A Plan" ?

"a detailed proposal for doing or achieving something"

Come back in four years time and we will revisit this scenario 

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Do you not fully understand the concept of " A Plan" ?

"a detailed proposal for doing or achieving something"

Come back in four years time and we will revisit this scenario 

Throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks isn't a plan.

What part of the plan involved selling hotels, car parks and all sorts of financial chicanery to build such an underwhelming squad manager by a nobody?

The plan has changed so much so frequently nobody no longer knows what it is. 

18 minutes ago, Bison said:

Throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks isn't a plan.

What part of the plan involved selling hotels, car parks and all sorts of financial chicanery to build such an underwhelming squad manager by a nobody?

The plan has changed so much so frequently nobody no longer knows what it is. 

It's definitely a plan , that we don't agree or like parts of it doesn't change that . 

9 minutes ago, Bison said:

Does this look like a player technically suited to Maresca's galaxy brain football that Conor Gallagher isn't suited for?

Get with the project! We’re not looking for the finished article. He obviously needs work on his touch, passing, heading and finishing. That’s why we hired a coach. In a few years time he might even be half as good as Osimhen. And we’ve spent half the amount on him. Genius. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Bison said:

Does this look like a player technically suited to Maresca's galaxy brain football that Conor Gallagher isn't suited for?

It's concerning that half his goal tally came in a 2 week period at the start of February and he hasn't scored since

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bison said:

Hutchinson was bought for c.£4m sold for £20m (excluding his Ipswich loan fee)

Datro Fofana was £11m and imagine he'll go for more - strong rumours of loan with obligation to buy to Leicester

Those are the only 2 players that they signed and have since been sold (or about to be)? Albeit, maybe there is no willing buyer for the others which is why they haven't been sold 

Just now, VA96 said:

Hutchinson was bought for c.£4m sold for £20m (excluding his Ipswich loan fee)

Datro Fofana was £11m and imagine he'll go for more - strong rumours of loan with obligation to buy to Leicester

Those are the only 2 players that they signed and have since been sold (or about to be)? Albeit, maybe there is no willing buyer for the others which is why they haven't been sold 

Omari Hutchinson was signed by Bath and Fraser. Two highly experienced professionals with expert knowledge of academy football. 

The two morons currently in charge of recruitment were still at Brighton and Monaco at the time of Hutchinson's arrival. They simply lucked into this situation. 

As for the other example, that hasn't yet materialised and I doubt he goes for much more than he was bought for anyway. 

3 hours ago, xceleryx said:

TBF

• Casadei was very highly regarded within the Inter and Italian youth setup. 
  • Ogochukwu was having a bright rise within the Rennais setup and earned a senior place pretty quick through strong performances. 
  • Angelo was said to have considerable talent, which I mean when you debut for the senior side at 15 and already had 100+ appearances there surely has to be an element of truth there, right? And showed some of that ability last season at Strasbourg. We've spent €15m in worse ways over the years.

Not going to go through the rest, but just because you, I, or anyone else on here hasn't heard of these players doesn't make investment in them unwise. In quite a few cases we weren't even the only club interested in many of them. 

And sure, there's a pretty good chance some of these may only spend the next 2-3 years here before being sold, but that's also in part the plan - as discussed to death on here previously. Now, it may mean selling someone at present to fund the collective, but it's something that also allows us to continue to have spending power in the future as well. 

Not going to disagree we overpaid for certain players, we have absolutely. On the flip side, people would also complain had we been cheap. There's bit of a "between a rock and hard place" situation.

We'll easily make what we paid for Angelo, Ugochukwu and Casadei back if we sold them this summer, I reckon. Likely we'd make a profit on Big Les. We also made a tidy profit on Omari Hutchinson and will make a very nice profit on Alex Matos if he goes as well. I would be amazed if Leicester give us less than we paid for DDF. 

The only one of the speculative buys that's really not done well and will lose us money is probably Slonina and Moreira as they simply haven't made the jump upwards. Too early to put Washington in that bracket but he might end up there yet, we'll see. 

17 minutes ago, Morgs said:

We'll easily make what we paid for Angelo, Ugochukwu and Casadei back if we sold them this summer, I reckon. Likely we'd make a profit on Big Les. We also made a tidy profit on Omari Hutchinson and will make a very nice profit on Alex Matos if he goes as well. I would be amazed if Leicester give us less than we paid for DDF. 

The only one of the speculative buys that's really not done well and will lose us money is probably Slonina and Moreira as they simply haven't made the jump upwards. Too early to put Washington in that bracket but he might end up there yet, we'll see. 

Moreira was free  + got a £2.4m loan fee from Lyon 

3 hours ago, Bison said:

Reminds me of Lukaku with that exquisite close control. 

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

Reminds me of Lukaku with that exquisite close control. 

That kid is being set up for failure. Looks extremely raw and will need several years to figure things out and even then he may not be at the level required.

10 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Can you imagine if that was us ? The usual suspects would be having kittens.

Meanwhile City , buy a player on the cheap from Argentina and use him for a bit before upgrading with Haaland and selling him for a huge profit.

Sounds like a plan .

Unless you're us , where it's unbridled madness. 

I think we are overdoing it to a degree but you get my drift 

You think we are overdoing it a bit? Try the majority of the signings the new owners have made. It really is that bad. 

€64m plus add-ons for a proven PL striker like him is high, but it’s not as crazy as us buying Caicedo for €120m or Fernandez for €115m. Or perhaps we can use Fofana at €80m as a yardstick? In light of that, €64m is a coup. 

7 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

You think we are overdoing it a bit? Try the majority of the signings the new owners have made. It really is that bad. 

€64m plus add-ons for a proven PL striker like him is high, but it’s not as crazy as us buying Caicedo for €120m or Fernandez for €115m. Or perhaps we can use Fofana at €80m as a yardstick? In light of that, €64m is a coup. 

Personally Dave, I'm hoping we go out of business so that you might actually post something positive. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I don't think Alvarez for €64m + add-ons is that bad a deal, Hojlund went for more than that off one season in Atalanta, Nunez €75m, Goncalo Ramos €65m, Kolo Muani €75m. Probably the lack of spending this summer that has made it seem out of the ordinary

Everyone's going to be a backup striker to Haaland but he's stepped up when KDB / Haaland have been injured, c.30 G/As last year