Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

3 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Bigger squads are going to be the way forward. 

The days of having a settled eleven that play 38 league games, plus the majority of cup and European games is coming to its end. If we've got a bigger squad then it'll hopefully mean players stay fresher, remain fitter, and aren't forced into being rushed back when injures do occur. 

Rotation should also breed competition for places which is also another good thing to have.

It’s been a 20 man squad game for a long time already. Lately Arsenal, Liverpool and Man C have had tight 20 man squads with a few youngsters filling the last spots. 

But to go to a 40-man squad is a bit rich. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Sleeping Dave said:

It’s been a 20 man squad game for a long time already. Lately Arsenal, Liverpool and Man C have had tight 20 man squads with a few youngsters filling the last spots. 

40 is certainly a stretch, but I think it's pretty reasonable to have at least a 30 man first team squad for teams that are playing European football. 

The demands on players are higher, pre-season breaks non-existent, and particularly in the Premier League the general intensity and physicality with no Christmas period break amplifies things further. Just makes sense if we're wanting to prevent burnout and working players into the ground.

• Like 2

I haven't been following football much because of the olympics perhaps, but deary me... 

What an utter shambles this summer has been for us. I don't even know where to begin.

I (and I would imagine many others here) really hope to be proven wrong, but it does appear that we are setup for another disastrous season.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Bones said:

I haven't been following football much because of the olympics perhaps, but deary me... 

What an utter shambles this summer has been for us. I don't even know where to begin.

I (and I would imagine many others here) really hope to be proven wrong, but it does appear that we are setup for another disastrous season.

I don't disagree, but your timing feels off. The current chat seems to be pointing to Osihmen and Felix who would be massive upgrades/additions to the squad.

The shambles has been pretty much everything up until now 😂

So after a long conversation I've just had a few things I've been told, all potentially bollox but it is what it is, a discussion if nothing else.

I've not watched any pre season so can't judge some of what I've been told but anyway, apparently Mareaca isn't convinced we have the players to play with his preferred inverted full back system. Namely the CB's and Enzo who he doesn't see as being able to push up to the 10 role. Plus James and Gusto being such good FB's he doesn't feel either of them inverting or becoming the 3rd CB is the best use of their abilities.

With a slight tweak, by starting with a double 6 but pushing one of the full backs up, wide, it creates a very similar situation, an extra player in attack in possession. Apparently yesterday was a bit like this, Cucurella often became the 3rd CB, and I was absolutely convinced he would play the inverted role, with Gusto playing very high up the pitch. This would obviously suit Reece much more  and Palmer as it allows him to start from the right but come inside when the RB pushes up.

So the idea is to start the season with a more rigid 4-2-3-1 consisting of a pivot of Caicedo/Big Les and Lavia/Enzo which brings me onto the attacking 4. Nkunku supposedly has been excellent and only really played centrally, there's no intention of using him out wide,  hence the Pedro signing. Whilst he can play the 8/10 role in the 433 he's arguably even more suited to being an outright number 10 but without him Maresca felt there was a hole in the squad so and take this with the biggest fistful of salt but apparently it was Maresca who scuppered the Samu Signing as he wants another proper number 10. The club offered Felix and he was more than happy.

Samu was only ever being bought in as a squad player but Maresca has been so impressed with TSL he doesn't want another young, back up striker. Then there's Osimhen. We supposedly want the Alvarez deal to get done so we can say to Napoli a world cup winning, premier league proveb player has just gone for circa €100m and that is the yardstick to use for Osimhen. So €60m plus Lukaku and everyone's a winner.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

So after a long conversation I've just had a few things I've been told, all potentially bollox but it is what it is, a discussion if nothing else.

I've not watched any pre season so can't judge some of what I've been told but anyway, apparently Mareaca isn't convinced we have the players to play with his preferred inverted full back system. Namely the CB's and Enzo who he doesn't see as being able to push up to the 10 role. Plus James and Gusto being such good FB's he doesn't feel either of them inverting or becoming the 3rd CB is the best use of their abilities.

With a slight tweak, by starting with a double 6 but pushing one of the full backs up, wide, it creates a very similar situation, an extra player in attack in possession. Apparently yesterday was a bit like this, Cucurella often became the 3rd CB, and I was absolutely convinced he would play the inverted role, with Gusto playing very high up the pitch. This would obviously suit Reece much more  and Palmer as it allows him to start from the right but come inside when the RB pushes up.

So the idea is to start the season with a more rigid 4-2-3-1 consisting of a pivot of Caicedo/Big Les and Lavia/Enzo which brings me onto the attacking 4. Nkunku supposedly has been excellent and only really played centrally, there's no intention of using him out wide,  hence the Pedro signing. Whilst he can play the 8/10 role in the 433 he's arguably even more suited to being an outright number 10 but without him Maresca felt there was a hole in the squad so and take this with the biggest fistful of salt but apparently it was Maresca who scuppered the Samu Signing as he wants another proper number 10. The club offered Felix and he was more than happy.

Samu was only ever being bought in as a squad player but Maresca has been so impressed with TSL he doesn't want another young, back up striker. Then there's Osimhen. We supposedly want the Alvarez deal to get done so we can say to Napoli a world cup winning, premier league proveb player has just gone for circa €100m and that is the yardstick to use for Osimhen. So €60m plus Lukaku and everyone's a winner.

the way Gusto played yesterday would back that bit up

who is TSL?

14 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

TSL? 

At least if we have another injury crisis we’ll be covered 🤣 But still. For me the squad is way too big. IMO we should get shot of Fernandez, Mudryk, Kepa plus one more goalie, (take your pick, they’re all bang average), Badashile, Broja and Lukaku. 

I know I’m going to get a lot of heat for saying that but it’s just my view. 🙃😇🫶🏻🎯

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Okay. This makes sense in as much as I read that Felix thinks his best position is as a no. 10 not a winger or false nine which is where he’s been played for the last few seasons. Maybe this is why he’s not really fulfilled his potential. I guess this means Carney is off as he hasn’t featured in preseason. So we’re in effect selling Carney to bring in Felix. 

2 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Okay. This makes sense in as much as I read that Felix thinks his best position is as a no. 10 not a winger or false nine which is where he’s been played for the last few seasons. Maybe this is why he’s not really fulfilled his potential. I guess this means Carney is off as he hasn’t featured in preseason. So we’re in effect selling Carney to bring in Felix. 

I wouldn't be happy with that at all as I love Carney.  His career has been halted by injuries at the wrong time.  

He mustn't train well because otherwise I don't understand why he's not getting minutes.  

Top, top player and he'll no doubt prove that elsewhere.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Ham said:

I wouldn't be happy with that at all as I love Carney.  His career has been halted by injuries at the wrong time.  

He mustn't train well because otherwise I don't understand why he's not getting minutes.  

Yep, very much agree. He’s one of those players that when you watch play, you can just see how good he is and how good he’s going to be (as long as he keeps away from any serious injuries). Just a naturally gifted player with the physical attributes needed to excel.

5 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Can't be bothered to fact check this, but why would anyone care when he gave serious playing time to the one academy player who was available? 11 starts is a much bigger deal than a few minutes in an early League Cup game, a much bigger show of faith.

Who was here that he could and should have been giving debuts to?

I’ve fact checked for you and it’s a fact. It’s also a fact that he started 10 games not 11 that season. 
You think 10 starts is evidence of Sarris commitment to youth but I don’t .  I did a bit of fact checking to make sure my memory wasn’t playing tricks.   Despite the sparcity of games to look at , he was the youngest player ever to play in a competitive full England game that season., As for Chelsea, Sarri didn’t even have him in the squad until Boxing Day! That was his first appearance ( probably when injuries starting kicking in with other players ). He was not in squad for 22 games , on the bench for 3 games and injured for 3.  His 10 games all  came after Christmas and interestingly we only lost one of those games. 
So we can pick the bones out of that and come to whatever conclusions you want. But the fact Sarri gave not one of our talented  academy players even a few minutes debut as a sub  is very poor and says everything about vision for Chelsea and his  attitude to youth. 
Lampard gave a debut to 8 of them next season. I don’t think they just dropped out the sky. 

39 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

the way Gusto played yesterday would back that bit up

who is TSL?

34 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

TSL? 

38 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Guiu, I believe. ‘The Spanish Lad’. 

It’s been confusing me as well.

34 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Ah......... Guiu is only one extra letter to type @martin1905!! Kids of today and their abbreviations!!

FFS. 

24 minutes ago, east lower said:

TBF (joking there) I think that particular abbreviation (TSL) may have been instigated by a certain Nth American based chap @chara , who may be a little more senior in years than @martin1905.

Yeah, you can blame @chara for that , I'm not one to use abbreviations but couldn't remember how to spell his name so...

32 minutes ago, Ham said:

QFT

Excellent 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

For me the squad is way too big.

The squad is too big, even if you ignore those who were never going to be in it, like Kepa and Lukaku, and some of the kids like Humphries or Josh A.

If we add Felix and Osimhen, I think we will need to jettison a few more.

GKS - Sanchez, Jorgensen, Beetinelli (Kepa, Petrovic etc to go)

FBS - James, Gusto, Cucu and Veiga (who came on instead of Chilwell, who will go)

CBS - Fofana, Colwill, Badiashile, Disasi, Tosin (arguably one too many, before you account for Trev who is a gonna)

MID - Enzo, Caicedo, Lavia, KdH, Big Les (is 5 too many for 2 positions? Taking CG out of the equation)

FWDS - Nkunku, Palmer, Sterling, Mudryk, Neto, Madueke, Chuk, Felix? (8 is one or two too many, possibly. Sterling off?)

STR - Guiu, Jackson, Osimhen? (Broja, Fofana Burstow, Lukaku etc all to go)

I've got 25 outfield players there, ignoring the ones in brackets. That means on a matchday, 10 get selected, 8 on the bench, and 7 with us, watching. And that's assuming we shift Broja, Lukaku, Fofana, Chilwell, Gallgher, Kepa.

I think 25 is too many by 2 or 3. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ham said:

Yeah. I don’t get it either.  Carney strikes me as more than able to rotate with Nkunku in that no. 10 role but Maresca doesn’t seem to rate him going by preseason. Given that there other areas in the squad we could do with an upgrade this seems like a waste. 

2 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Yeah. I don’t get it either.  Carney strikes me as more than able to rotate with Nkunku in that no. 10 role but Maresca doesn’t seem to rate him going by preseason. Given that there other areas in the squad we could do with an upgrade this seems like a waste. 

Carney is a gonna. Not getting any time. Weird, as he's clearly a talent, although another one with injury issues. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Mental gymnastics worthy of a gold medal.

Guess the 40 man squad is the new line because they can't shift anywhere near the numbers required. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Carney is a gonna. Not getting any time. Weird, as he's clearly a talent, although another one with injury issues. 

Carney wasn't signed by D&D (signed before their arrival). He isn't one of 'theirs' so is expendable. 

Just now, Bison said:

All part of the plan. 

the PSR stuff doesn't make sense as we are in the next financial year. We will have until 30 June 2025 to raise any deficit, whether it be from Gallagher or anyone else. 

• Like 1