Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

17 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

The squad is too big, even if you ignore those who were never going to be in it, like Kepa and Lukaku, and some of the kids like Humphries or Josh A.

If we add Felix and Osimhen, I think we will need to jettison a few more.

GKS - Sanchez, Jorgensen, Beetinelli (Kepa, Petrovic etc to go)

FBS - James, Gusto, Cucu and Veiga (who came on instead of Chilwell, who will go)

CBS - Fofana, Colwill, Badiashile, Disasi, Tosin (arguably one too many, before you account for Trev who is a gonna)

MID - Enzo, Caicedo, Lavia, KdH, Big Les (is 5 too many for 2 positions? Taking CG out of the equation)

FWDS - Nkunku, Palmer, Sterling, Mudryk, Neto, Madueke, Chuk, Felix? (8 is one or two too many, possibly. Sterling off?)

STR - Guiu, Jackson, Osimhen? (Broja, Fofana Burstow, Lukaku etc all to go)

I've got 25 outfield players there, ignoring the ones in brackets. That means on a matchday, 10 get selected, 8 on the bench, and 7 with us, watching. And that's assuming we shift Broja, Lukaku, Fofana, Chilwell, Gallgher, Kepa.

I think 25 is too many by 2 or 3. 

forgot Casadei too 

I think to suggest there is no plan is silly. They will have planned meticulously. Whether we like, or believe in the plan is another matter, but perhaps the sensible thing is to see how things play out over the season.

• Like 1

Just now, RDCW said:

I think to suggest there is no plan is silly. They will have planned meticulously. Whether we like, or believe in the plan is another matter, but perhaps the sensible thing is to see how things play out over the season.

I'll get my crystal ball out.

3 hours ago, Original 21 said:

I thought it was Pochettino who didn’t want Felix. Just who in the Board is now pushing for this and for what reason? It’s farcical. Don’t Atletico have someone else they can offer us?

IMG_9037.jpeg

It's even funnier when you think that they have a world class goalkeeper who wants to leave and would instantly elevate the squad several notches. But no, let's go for Felix. FFS Chelsea. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Guiu, I believe. ‘The Spanish Lad’. 

It’s been confusing me as well.

Played excellently yesterday I thought. Works so hard, always wanting the ball. Big lad too. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Morgs said:

It's even funnier when you think that they have a world class goalkeeper who wants to leave and would instantly elevate the squad several notches. But no, let's go for Felix. FFS Chelsea. 

Quite. I'd sell every other keeper at the Club in a heartbeat if it meant we could have Oblak bossing that back four

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, RDCW said:

There is no way you can plan meticulously and end up in the situation we're in. Unless the plan is to be this dysfunctional. 

17 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

the PSR stuff doesn't make sense as we are in the next financial year. We will have until 30 June 2025 to raise any deficit, whether it be from Gallagher or anyone else. 

They had to sell hotels, car parks and whatever else they could find to meet PSR for the last accounting period. No sponsor in sight so another hole to account for. I'm sure they're taking PSR a little more seriously than they did last time round. 

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Played 24 times. For a 17 year old, that's a lot, irrespective if Conte gave his debut at the back end of the previous season for 5 minutes.

Moreover, was Sarri supposed to pick CHO over Hazard, Willian and Pedro?

who?

That's just silly. 

Well, we had a transfer ban, and the vast majority of those youth players certainly were not 17/18

Timing is also everything though. Lampard arrived when James, Mount, Tomori, and Abraham had all just had successful loans to the Championship and were far more first team ready. That is exactly what CHO should have done too. Hazard had also gone, which left a gaping hole to fill (and we couldn't buy anyone)

When Lampard started picking James, Mount, Tomori and Abraham, they were 19, 20, 21 and 21. 

Lamptey, Broja, and Anjorin all made 1 sub appearance each aged 19,18,18.  Those 2 18 year-olds getting 10 minutes each.

Gilmour was the only 18 year old who was picked with any sort of frequency, having 6 starts across all competitions. 

So out of Sarri and Lampard, only Sarri picked a 17 year old. Not that it means anything. other than it's factual. 

He had a couple of sub appearances for Conte in premier league and a couple of FA cup appearances. Ok not a lot , but there you go, he was on the radar. Sarri ( as explained in my post to TFL ) didn’t even have him in the squad until Boxing Day!  He was given Europa games ( like most unused players) in which he impressed and scored 4 goals. Yes he was very very young but built like a man.  He was tipped as a big star. Sarri didn’t want him for more than half the season , then in the run in when Hazard, Willian and Pedro had run their feet down to bloody stumps or been kicked to pieces , he got a few games. It’s fair enough, it’s not a big criticism of Sarri , it’s how he did things, but I’m not having this line “ what more could Sarri do to prove how he loved our youth and academy “ bollocks. 
IMO Sarri wasn’t a fan of academy or the home grown players in it. It’s not about whether they’re 17, 18 or 20 . He had his team. He had his formation and nothing was going to change that unless injury, fatigue etc necessitated that. I’m not saying that’s wrong Paul ( we got top 4) I’m just saying that if he had made it to the next season ( transfer ban or no transfer ban)  he would have stuck exactly to those principles and those players if they were still here. That team would have looked absolutely nothing like Lampards. And I’m going to put that down as an unsubstantiated ‘fact’. 

Edited by NoblyBobly
  • Agree 1

I'm absolutely convinced pulling out of the Samu deal means we are going for Osimhen but I could be wrong. I did a post last summer which many of you liked, about how almost all the moves the club makes are explainable and that you can pick out the logic to all of them if you take the time to really consider each case. Sometimes things do not make sense in isolation but do when you take a more macro view and I am 100% sure that is what is happening here. 

From ground level the idea of pulling out of a deal for Omorodion and going for a player we KNOW isn't up to the rigours of the Prem and wasn't consistently good enough when he was here on loan, purely to facilitate a sale of one our few genuine Crown Jewels to a Spanish club at a vastly lower price than if we were to sell him in the UK.... yeah. It looks retarded. 

If we could get Osimhen and long off Lukaku in the process, then maybe it does make a little more sense. 

Martin also pointed out quite helpfully that Felix is likely being bought to play on the left and much as I don't rate him, I'd have him in the side all day over Mudryk or Sterling.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Morgs said:

I mean that’s  fair enough. I really like Felix but our priorities are a keeper , a world class CB and a proven goalscorer. 

40 minutes ago, Ham said:

I wouldn't be happy with that at all as I love Carney.  His career has been halted by injuries at the wrong time.  

He mustn't train well because otherwise I don't understand why he's not getting minutes.  

Top, top player and he'll no doubt prove that elsewhere.  

Me neither. Why bother buying these talents if we aren’t willing to let them have time to develop? It’s just a waste of everyone’s time really. 

16 minutes ago, Bison said:

All part of the plan. 

Sure. Beyond doubt. We were told to wait until this window. The. Their plan would become clear. Well I see the plan and I call bullshit. 

4 minutes ago, RDCW said:

I can tell you. We will go into the season with about 5-10 players too many. They can’t train with the first team squad (for obvious reasons) so will just hang around Cobham. The main squad will be too big, causing lots of disgruntled players. We will sell Chilwell as he doesn’t suit “the system”. Gallagher must be sold, for some weird reason. That we get a player we don’t need in return doesn’t matter. 

We will start badly. Losing big against City, not winning many from the next five very winnable games for a club not run by a bunch of clowns. Then the real nightmare starts with tough games against other top contenders. Around October/November everyone will panic, the Bridge will become hostile and Maresca will be fired before Christmas. We will hire a new caretaker and finish somewhere in midtable (anything from 8th - 12th is feasible). 

Next summer we will rip everything up again. Hiring a new manager with different ideas and a bunch of other sellable assets will be sold to fund the new dream. Rinse and repeat until the yanks get bored and fucks off. When that happens we will be stuck with a long list of overrated players on multi-year contracts that will be near impossible to shift unless we take large losses. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

When that happens we will be stuck with a long list of overrated players on multi-year contracts that will be near impossible to shift unless we take large losses. 

We are already here. 

15 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

IMO Sarri wasn’t a fan of academy or the home grown players in it. 

Despite RLC forcing his way into his XI by the end of the season.

The age thing is relevant because the difference at senior football between 17 and 20/21 is huge. 

The idea he would have ignored Mount and James is very fancible. And he would have had to replace Hazard with someone.

16 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Me neither. Why bother buying these talents if we aren’t willing to let them have time to develop? It’s just a waste of everyone’s time really. 

Sure. Beyond doubt. We were told to wait until this window. The. Their plan would become clear. Well I see the plan and I call bullshit. 

I can tell you. We will go into the season with about 5-10 players too many. They can’t train with the first team squad (for obvious reasons) so will just hang around Cobham. The main squad will be too big, causing lots of disgruntled players. We will sell Chilwell as he doesn’t suit “the system”. Gallagher must be sold, for some weird reason. That we get a player we don’t need in return doesn’t matter. 

We will start badly. Losing big against City, not winning many from the next five very winnable games for a club not run by a bunch of clowns. Then the real nightmare starts with tough games against other top contenders. Around October/November everyone will panic, the Bridge will become hostile and Maresca will be fired before Christmas. We will hire a new caretaker and finish somewhere in midtable (anything from 8th - 12th is feasible). 

Next summer we will rip everything up again. Hiring a new manager with different ideas and a bunch of other sellable assets will be sold to fund the new dream. Rinse and repeat until the yanks get bored and fucks off. When that happens we will be stuck with a long list of overrated players on multi-year contracts that will be near impossible to shift unless we take large losses. 

The frogs that wait for the water to hit boiling point ... Well, they boil. Patience is not always a virtue. Like you, I think the writing is on the wall for this season. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

. When that happens we will be stuck with a long list of overrated players on multi-year contracts that will be near impossible to shift unless we take large losses. 

The only players that currently applies to were signed by RA, namely Lukaku and Kepa. 

Just now, paulw66 said:

The only players that currently applies to were signed by RA, namely Lukaku and Kepa. 

Sterling? Mudryk? I reckon either would be sold without a moment's hesitation if there was a viable bid. Some would be including Fernandez and Cucurella in that, but appreciate opinions vary. I wonder if someone also does actually appreciate Sanchez was a stinker of a signing and would sell if they could.

And then there's the players they didn't sign but gave huge contracts, who they are now desperate to sell ... Broja and Chalobah.

Don't think it's just Kepa and Lukaku, sadly.

Just now, thevelourfog said:

Sterling? Mudryk? I reckon either would be sold without a moment's hesitation if there was a viable bid. Some would be including Fernandez and Cucurella in that, but appreciate opinions vary. I wonder if someone also does actually appreciate Sanchez was a stinker of a signing and would sell if they could.

And then there's the players they didn't sign but gave huge contracts, who they are now desperate to sell ... Broja and Chalobah.

Don't think it's just Kepa and Lukaku, sadly.

They extended Chilwell just over a year ago and now want to get rid. 

Sanchez

James Fofana Colwill Cucurella 

Enzo Caicedo

Palmer Nkunku Pedro

Jackson 

Jorgensen 

Gusto Disasi Tosin Chilwell 

Lavia Ugochukwu 

Madueke KDH Sterling

Giui

Estevao, Paez, Anselmino to come next year and believe it or not this year's window is still open.

What a terrible, terrible job they have done. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Sanchez

James Fofana Colwill Cucurella 

Enzo Caicedo

Palmer Nkunku Pedro

Jackson 

Jorgensen 

Gusto Disasi Tosin Chilwell 

Lavia Ugochukwu 

Madueke KDH Sterling

Giui

Estevao, Paez, Anselmino to come next year and believe it or not this year's window is still open.

What a terrible, terrible job they have done. 

Terrible is a bit of a stretch...but pretty poorly I think would suffice.

• Haha 1

Just to clear up a little issue,,,

TSL....not because I couldn't spell the name...eventually!...but I liked the look of him from the start and given his age hope he really hits the heights in a few years,,,my admitted agenda player and it just stuck....unapologetically I will continue to use TLS!

🤠🤣👨‍🦯🌩️

Edited by chara