Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

47 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

He scored a lot of goals at City mainly because it was at City. 

I don't think it is quite as easy as simply playing for Man City. Obviously they create a lot of chances, but his numbers, especially under Pep, were ludicrous. And it's not like Grealish or Doku have walked in and got anything like his goal tally.

292 games and 121 goals since Pep took over. 

47 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

There’s a reason Pep was happy to let him go. 

After selecting him 292 times over 6 seasons.

Edit - I am not exactly a Sterling fan, but I think people's biggest problem with his time here is that he is the highest earner, and hasn't delivered to that level, which is why I and most would be happy if he moved on. 

Edited by paulw66
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Edit - I am not exactly a Sterling fan, but I think people's biggest problem with his time here is that he is the highest earner, and hasn't delivered to that level, which is why I and most would be happy if he moved on. 

I'd have a bit more sympathy and probably even share this view if we weren't owned by Billionaires who happily offered him that amount of money two years ago.  

Quite frankly, all the whilst we are chucking tens of millions around on teenagers, some of whom have hardly made any senior appearances (Kellyman, Anselmino, Penders, Wiley etc)  I just can't use a player's salary as a feasible reason get concerned about and rationalise moving them on.   It's very different of course if the club were in financial difficulty or we had to be very stringent with our purchasing due to budgets etc but that is not the case.

For me, it's as simple as Sterling has a higher output than Mudryk and therefore the latter should be the one we try and move on. 

• Agree 1

Don't understand the Ugochukwu loan talk. He's the tallest and most athletic midfielder in our team, a different profile to the rest of the small(er) midfielders that we have. He was hampered by injury last season but seems to be healthy now. Shouldn't be surprised by the madness I guess as they're making it up as they go along.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

I'd have a bit more sympathy and probably even share this view if we weren't owned by Billionaires who happily offered him that amount of money two years ago.  

That first window was very different to what we have seen since, in terms of age profile and wages. understandably as they took over late in the window and were trying to plug holes in the squad.

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

I just can't use a player's salary as a feasible reason get concerned about and rationalise moving them on. 

It's not unreasonable to expect your highest earners to be the highest performers. Since that first window, the base salaries have been a lot lower. There is also the potential to create disharmony if the highest earner is producing less than the some of the lower ones (think Jackson or Palmer last season)

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

For me, it's as simple as Sterling has a higher output than Mudryk and therefore the latter should be the one we try and move on. 

I don't think anything is that simple. MM is 6 years his junior and has room to improve. RS isn't getting any better (that's not a criticism, just a fact of life). and their outputs were similar last season.

4 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Makes perfect sense to me. He'll be behind Lavia, Enzo, Caicedo, KdH in a battle for 2 spots. 5 is too many

Not me. He’s definitely ahead of Enzo and we don’t know how KDH or Lavia are going to do, good players though they are. I think Big Les is underrated. 👀🎯🙃

Edited by Chelsea_Matt
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Not me. He’s definitely ahead of Enzo and we don’t know how KDH or Lavia are going to do, good players though they are. I think Big Les is underrated. 👀🎯🙃

It's really important he plays regularly this season though - looks really useful and he can't have another year where he doesn't get games under his belt.  

So rather than being a bit in and out here, if he can get a good few games at Southampton over the next few months that would be brill.  I'm sure the situation can be revisited in Dec/Jan

Edited by Bert19
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

we don’t know how KDH or Lavia are going to do, 🙃

how does that argument not apply to Les, though?

Both KdH and Lavia have more PL appearances under their belt

edit - Les played about 290 minutes of PL football last season. I am not sure where this blind faith has come from

Edited by paulw66

31 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Diego Moreira has signed for Strasbourg. What a waste of time and money that was. 👀

Loaned for 2.5m last season to Lyon, sold for another 2m now. 4.5m raised from a free transfer.

What's to complain about exactly? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

That first window was very different to what we have seen since, in terms of age profile and wages. understandably as they took over late in the window and were trying to plug holes in the squad.

It's not unreasonable to expect your highest earners to be the highest performers. Since that first window, the base salaries have been a lot lower. There is also the potential to create disharmony if the highest earner is producing less than the some of the lower ones (think Jackson or Palmer last season)

I don't think anything is that simple. MM is 6 years his junior and has room to improve. RS isn't getting any better (that's not a criticism, just a fact of life). and their outputs were similar last season.

In terms of goals and assists, Sterling IS one of the highest performers though - and that is kind of my point.  He was behind only Palmer (lets be honest there's no shame in that), and Jackson who is an out and out striker, last season. 

So he is our third most productive player despite being eighth in terms of minutes.  His outputs aren't similar to MM last season, who only got half the G+A's in broadly the same amount of starts (RS 43 vs MM 41) 

Appreciate I'm starting to come across as some sort of Sterling fan-boy which I'm definitely not - I get as frustrated by him as the next fan, I just think you know what you're going to get, he'll miss a load of chances, shoot when he should square it,  square it when he should shoot etc but at the end of the day will still deliver double digit G+A's from a wide position.   With Mudryk we already get all of those negatives, but the upside may never arrive. 

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Makes perfect sense to me. He'll be behind Lavia, Enzo, Caicedo, KdH in a battle for 2 spots. 5 is too many

Four midfielders all under 6'0 and only Caicedo is decent in the air.

And considering Enzo can't run, playing him in a two is a recipe for disaster. 

Guess we're going to have to learn the hard way for the first part of the season that the sporting directors' 300m midfield won't cut it in this league. They've built a midfield for the Eredivisie. 

8 minutes ago, Rob B said:

In terms of goals and assists, Sterling IS one of the highest performers though - and that is kind of my point.  He was behind only Palmer (lets be honest there's no shame in that), and Jackson who is an out and out striker, last season. 

So he is our third most productive player despite being eighth in terms of minutes.  His outputs aren't similar to MM last season, who only got half the G+A's in broadly the same amount of starts (RS 43 vs MM 41) 

Appreciate I'm starting to come across as some sort of Sterling fan-boy which I'm definitely not - I get as frustrated by him as the next fan, I just think you know what you're going to get, he'll miss a load of chances, shoot when he should square it,  square it when he should shoot etc but at the end of the day will still deliver double digit G+A's from a wide position.   With Mudryk we already get all of those negatives, but the upside may never arrive. 

I always get the impression that Sterling is desperate to look like he's worth a place in the team and consequently always tries to score himself rather than play in a better placed team mate . Sterling FC if you like.

He's a great player but should measure his worth on the difference he makes to the team and not his personal goal scoring record 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bison said:

Four midfielders all under 6'0 and only Caicedo is decent in the air.

And considering Enzo can't run, playing him in a two is a recipe for disaster. 

Guess we're going to have to learn the hard way for the first part of the season that the sporting directors' 300m midfield won't cut it in this league. They've built a midfield for the Eredivisie. 

You're going to be so disappointed if we do well. 

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

You worried me, I thought maybe his knock was worse than first feared!

It probably will be after our “medical department” have had their hands on him.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, martin1905 said:

You worried me, I thought maybe his knock was worse than first feared!

Well Maresco just had me worried in his press conference saying he had no idea if it was the same injury as last time!! 

5 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

No this one is total severance of the head and he’s out until 2027

Recurring injury..has lost his head a few times ,,,hence the most recent 3 game ban!

• Haha 1