Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

25 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

The biggest problem isn't who we sell, it's the fact that we think going back into Felix makes any semblance of sense. He is an absolute lightweight.

100% agree. Not sure what the board see in him that Barcelona couldnt. But then again, i dont know what the board are up to.

I guess this has to do with swapping Gallagher.

Edited by Miguelito07

37 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

but I thought the manager had no input on player signings and it was all down to anyone else.

To be fair, Maresca has agreed to be the face for all the nonsense the sporting directors do. They gave him one wish and he squandered it on a Championship player. 

Absolutely insane we're buying a player we didn't take up an option on a year ago so in order to fund the sale of another. Reflects terribly on us specifically, but also says a whole lot about football more generally and none of it good.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

The lad has no meaningful first team experience. He's 18. He isn't a generational talent. He's a hard-working striker who shines when he plays against players in his own age group. He is nowhere near ready to make a meaningful contribution to a PL side chasing a CL spot. We don't need to see him play in 10-15 games for us to draw that conclusion. It's enough to have watched him in pre-season and yesterday. 

At the moment he isn't ready to contribute. He might be in the future, but that is years away. 

Well, we are going to find out as it looks like he will be playing a part this season unless we sign a main forward. 

10 minutes ago, Bison said:

To be fair, Maresca has agreed to be the face for all the nonsense the sporting directors do. They gave him one wish and he squandered it on a Championship player. 

He is certainly a PL player.

6 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Absolutely insane we're buying a player we didn't take up an option on a year ago so in order to fund the sale of another. Reflects terribly on us specifically, but also says a whole lot about football more generally and none of it good.

It's an easy excuse to blame the state of football. As an example, City sold Palmer because he wanted to leave and wasn't getting minutes. We forced Gallagher, a key player last season, to leave partly in order to sign a player our previous manager didn't want.

It's a unique situation.

6 hours ago, east lower said:

I am genuinely happy with having KDH. He looked the best player on the park during our FA Cup game with Leicester last season.

But…………….already he’s not doing the same things he was doing at Leicester that made him stand out.  That needs to change to stop any negatives.

Yes, we do seem to stop players who are really successful playing a certain way and morph them into a so so system player.  I was hoping this had stopped after seeing how  Palmer performed  last season. 

8 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I agree about it reflecting badly on football in general, but I dont think it reflects badly on specifically us. The issue is that FFP/PSR is clearly set up to discourage the development and retention of homegrown players. That sucks and needs addressing quickly. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

We forced Gallagher, a key player last season, to leave partly in order to sign a player our previous manager didn't want.

No we didn't. 

Gallagher is leaving because we cannot agree a contract with him and he is in his last year. End of.

Whoever else we end up signing, Omorodion, Felix etc is nothing to do with Gallagher leaving. It is to do with making a deal with Atletico.

If Gallagher was going to Spurs and we didn't want any of their crap players, he would still be leaving.

1 minute ago, blueboy1905 said:

Joao Felix .... possibly the most underwhelming signing in the last few years. Not his fault but just pointless. We might as well be called Spreadsheet FC.

Don't be so negative! Even though Felix has been a colossal failure everywhere he's been since leaving Benfica we needed to get this done in order to sell Gallagher. It's just the cost of doing business.

14 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

No we didn't. 

Gallagher is leaving because we cannot agree a contract with him and he is in his last year. End of.

Whoever else we end up signing, Omorodion, Felix etc is nothing to do with Gallagher leaving. It is to do with making a deal with Atletico.

If Gallagher was going to Spurs and we didn't want any of their crap players, he would still be leaving.

He either wasn't offered a contract, or was offered a derisory contract, depending on which report you believe. Similar to the Mason Mount situation, this has been a massive club PR effort to try and paint this as a Courtois situation, when it's anything but.

One of last season's crucial players is being forced out because it helps the club balance the books and continue their scattergun approach to player recruitment.

At least Omorodion was a reasonable prospect. Why we are signing Felix I don't know. He isn't good enough and we already have at least two top options in his position.

21 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

No we didn't. 

They’ve engineered his exit to do the deal with Athleti. It’s all about the accounting and very little to do with football.  Forced, engineering, couldn’t agree a new contract- just a play on words.

Do you know what he was being paid last year, whilst steadying our midfield and captaining the side in the absence of James and Chilwell?

Any idea what the generous offer they made for a new contract?

He was paid a sixth of what they’re paying Caicedo and Fernandez. The new offer was 50% of those named wages. They needed him gone and as you (and I have said a month back), the PSR rules as they stand almost encourage the sale of home grown talent, rather then reward clubs for the longer term use of them.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, east lower said:

They’ve engineered his exit to do the deal with Athleti. It’s all about the accounting and very little to do with football.  Forced, engineering, couldn’t agree a new contract- just a play on words.

Do you know what he was being paid last year, whilst steadying our midfield and captaining the side in the absence of James and Chilwell?

Any idea what the generous offer they made for a new contract?

He was paid a sixth of what they’re paying Caicedo and Fernandez. The new offer was 50% of those named wages. They needed him gone and as you (and I have said a month back), the PSR rules as they stand almost encourage the sale of home grown talent, rather then reward clubs for the longer term use of them.

It was reported everywhere that the new offer was the same as the highest paid midfielders at the club = Enzo and Moises.  

Where are you getting 50% from?

37 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

No we didn't. 

Of course it is - selling Gallagher is about freeing up pure profit to spend on incomings.

We are choosing to sell to Atletico and spend that cash on Felix.

Therefore, my statement, "We forced Gallagher, a key player last season, to leave partly in order to sign a player our previous manager didn't want" is absolutely true.

We could not agree a contract with him because we offered him a contract only to protect him as an asset to sell in a couple of years while we offer 8 and 9 year contracts to players who have done nothing for us in comparison with him.