Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

Money Mase will certainly take on new meaning if its shown financials were his underlying motive to move. 

Can’t think of any other reason. He could have stayed and become a proper Chelsea legend. Sadly he’s no Lampard, Drogba, Terry or Hazard. He jumped ship at the first opportunity. I could understand it if he wanted to go to Barca or Real Madrid. At least Courtois made it clear that was his plan for family reasons while Hazard stayed when we finished tenth and dragged us single-handed through the following season! But to walk out on your childhood club and negotiate with a direct rival because you want to earn more money. It’s not as if we were offering him pauper’s wages! Really doesn’t sit well with me. Feel sorry for those who made the huge Mount banner at the ground. I actually got more respect for Courtois than I do Mount. Sad to see him go because of his unfulfilled potential at the club. But it’s his decision in the end and I hope he regrets it. 

Edited by Original 21
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Can’t think of any other reason. He could have stayed and become a proper Chelsea legend. Sadly he’s no Lampard, Drogba, Terry or Hazard. He jumped ship at the first opportunity. I could understand it if he wanted to go to Barca or Real Madrid. At least Courtois made it clear that was his plan for family reasons and Hazard stayed when we finished tenth and dragged us single-handed through the following season! But to walk out on your childhood club and negotiate with a direct rival because you want to earn more money. It’s not as if we were offering him pauper’s wages! Really doesn’t sit well with me. Feel sorry for those who made the huge Mount banner at the ground. I actually got more respect for Courtois than I do Mount. Good riddance. 

Agree. Have said similar in the Mount thread awhile back, to move to a Man Utd or Liverpool would've been a lateral move from a sporting perspective. Neither are in that much better shape than us, so there's little to gain outside of personal benefits of either a greater financial package or being given a full-time gig in midfield. If he chose to leave to a Madrid, Barca or even Bayern I could see the sense because they're actual progressive moves. Even Man City would've made more sense. 

Will be very curious once the dust settles and how he'll be received moving forward. The whole situation take me back to the Ashley Cole transfer from Arsenal, just less toxic (for now). Odd's on seeing £100 notes with Mount's face printed on them decorating the Bridge next season? 

• Like 3

This timing of him coming off Twitter makes sense now.

He knew what was coming and how it would be received.

If he thought he got grief before, that would have been nothing. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Agree. Have said similar in the Mount thread awhile back, to move to a Man Utd or Liverpool would've been a lateral move from a sporting perspective. Neither are in that much better shape than us, 

Not sure how it can be a lateral move when you look at where the teams finished. one qualified for the CL and the other who had a poor season qualified for the Europa cup.

Maybe it’s just a case of MM has no confidence in the train wreck squad compiled by the new owners even after the trimming and with a decent head coach. Alternatively maybe the new coach doesn’t fancy him?

Edited by ROTG

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

Maybe it’s just a case of MM has no confidence in the train wreck squad compiled by the new owners even after the trimming and with a decent head coach. Alternatively maybe the new coach doesn’t fancy him?

This 'trimming' hasn't even started yet! Oh, and the 'decent' head coach hasn't arrived yet, either. He's getting a tad ahead if himself imo.

I reckon there's been some friction between Mount and some players in the dressing room.

The comments by RJ about people who won't carry bricks with you and the fact that Mudryk decided to publicly take the piss out of Tony Mount in the gym. 

I wonder whether Mount has upset the squad with comments or demands that we don't know about. Criticisms perhaps.

Just conjecture on my part. 

1 minute ago, Ham said:

I reckon there's been some friction between Mount and some players in the dressing room.

The comments by RJ about people who won't carry bricks with you and the fact that Mudryk decided to publicly take the piss out of Tony Mount in the gym. 

I wonder whether Mount has upset the squad with comments or demands that we don't know about. Criticisms perhaps.

Just conjecture on my part. 

Maybe James has been told he'll be the new club captain and it's upset Mount as he was expecting to get it.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Bison said:

Are we talking about the same player who was at one point in a real battle with Dross Barkley for the third midfield role?

Losing a real player like Gundogan, someone who can play deep and join the attack (scoring and creating goals that win league titles) and replacing him with Kovacic is a monumental downgrade.

I mean no offence Bise but I trust Guardiola‘s judgement of players more than yours. Kovacic was ridiculously good under Tuchel - Mount was largely great too, as was Jorghi btw. Lost Tuchel, lost Jorghi, losing Mount and Kova.

Where are the characters left in our squad? Unless we bring some in next season could be another absolute disaster.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

We have to look at the fact we are losing a pool of talent Kovacic, Mount, Kante, Rudiger, Christensen, Jorginho and more recently Felix.  

Can we honestly say we have replaced with greater quality? Definitely not at this point. And the fact was we were not competing for the title with those players!  

Off the back of the champions league win we were a few tweaks away! That now seems a million miles away.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

20 minutes ago, ShedMiddle said:

We have to look at the fact we are losing a pool of talent Kovacic, Mount, Kante, Rudiger, Christensen, Jorginho and more recently Felix.  

Can we honestly say we have replaced with greater quality? Definitely not at this point. And the fact was we were not competing for the title with those players!  

Off the back of the champions league win we were a few tweaks away! That now seems a million miles away.

Aspect that would worry me more is characters. People on here seem to enjoy bashing nearly every footballer going - truth is there are still some you can rely on to leave everything on the pitch - a basic requirement for building a competitive team at the top.

I am not convinced Felix is that guy (neither is Poch apparently). All the others you mentioned were among the most reliable performers in our most recent successful spell. I just hope Poch pushes to have them replaced (the likes of Caicedo would be excellent).

Edited by Max Fowler

9 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Hard to see it being about anything else. Mount's face gets used in a lot of promo material across various social media and advertisement, he has been the current "face of Chelsea" if you will. I can't see it being about more/less exposure, so it kinda only leaves money being the motivator here.

Money Mase will certainly take on new meaning if its shown financials were his underlying motive to move. 

Right, buuuut there are various clauses maybe he wants non exclusive rather than exclusive, maybe the term differs etc. Very hard to say and I’d love giving him benefit of the doubt until the very end when things become clear!

• Like 1

I’m just of the stance that in a contract year, what exactly did Mount do to warrant the type of contract he’s seemingly going to get at Utd?

Like if he was on a 25 goal/15 assist season I’m truly of the belief he’d have already signed a new contract. And if he didn’t get a contract offer then yeah I think people would have right to complain.

But in this instance he didn’t do anything (appreciate he was injured at times as well) and at that point if Utd are willing to give him the money he wants then he’s entitled to go get that bag.

Was always a mixed bag for me- great at times but anonymous just as much.

Good luck to him.

9 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

These are the magic words! 'According to some sources' means really that they're making it up because they don't really have a clue.

Thank You. Players salaries are written on confidential contracts.  Unless the player themselves or a handful of people at the Club or FA tell you what they earn (thus breaching confidentiality agreements btw), no one bloody knows what they get! 

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Maybe James has been told he'll be the new club captain and it's upset Mount as he was expecting to get it.

Could well be. 

I'm of the view that we've seen two press briefings from Mount's camp in the last 7-10 days. One was last week when we heard Man Utd were buying him for £55m and the other came after that with how upset he was.  

Truth is that he's been offered (relatively) huge pay rises over the last two years by two different owners and has turned them down.  If the reports are accurate and he's been offered something that puts his wages up by 150-200%, he's not doing badly.  Footballer's are also in a unique position to renegotiate months/years into guaranteed long term contracts. That money could go up significantly once again if he has a good next 12-18 months. 

This doesn't smell like it's all down to the Club to me. Not at all. 

One other factor with Kova & Mount - not applicable with Rüdi, Christensen etc. We seem to be losing two key players to key rivals; we have seen how much Arsenal prospered from City signings.

I worry we are making our rivals stronger and the gap bigger.

Is there more we can do to to keep Kova if he wants to leave? Maybe not.

But it does look like with Mount we have been willing to lose him because of the lure of balancing the books. Arsenal mugged us off and made us overpay for Mudryk so we need to sell Mount to Man United in order to break even.

So, all in all United get one of our best recent players and we get a player in return who Arsenal didn't even rate that highly.  

Doesn't sound like great strategic planning.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

These are the magic words! 'According to some sources' means really that they're making it up because they don't really have a clue.

Why are you so persistent with this? It's so tedious. Of course we don't have a clue but ultimately, if only talked abut things we knew were 100% factual then that wouldn't leave much and this forum would be a dull place and perhaps not even exist. I think most of us are sensible enough to know it's all rumour especially people that end their sentences with things like "according to some sources".

• Thanks 1

Disappointing as it is to see Mount leave, it's not as if he can't be replaced. He's not a Terry, Lampard, Hazard or Drogba. He's "merely" a good midfielder, the likes of which are ten a penny. If he were a United player with no links to Chelsea, would we be clamouring to have the club spend £60m+ on him? I think not. Thanks for the goals and assists that you did manage - few though they were considering what you could have achieved - but don't let the door hit you on the arse on your way out.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Amazes me how quickly supporters form really certain views about what has gone on behind the scenes on literally no evidence, just their own feelings and vibes. There are loads of plausible reasons, beyond but also including money, players would want to leave this club right now. It isn't hard to think of them. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Disappointing as it is to see Mount leave, it's not as if he can't be replaced. He's not a Terry, Lampard, Hazard or Drogba. He's "merely" a good midfielder, the likes of which are ten a penny. If he were a United player with no links to Chelsea, would we be clamouring to have the club spend £60m+ on him? I think not. Thanks for the goals and assists that you did manage - few though they were considering what you could have achieved - but don't let the door hit you on the arse on your way out.

The links to Chelsea matter though, Bob. It's important to have players come through the academy - as Tuchel said:

"It makes the club very special and makes every team in the world very special if you have the mix between world class players, big personalities from abroad and outside the club mixed with academy boys."

Mount is 24. Chelsea signed Lampard when he was 23, Drogba when he was 26. Did either hit the ground running? 

We can't constantly refer to our greatest ever players when evaluating where our squad is at today. The worry is - we are losing our identity with good lads who we know have delivered for us in the past and saying good riddance after a nearly impossible season.

Hazard comparisons are moot - we could sign Neymar (similar ability and of real mentality) but we need new leaders on the pitch. Boehly's strategy - we sign the best young prospects in the world and in 5 years we have the best team in the world.

We will do nothing without players with experience and the right mentality. Mount and Kova were two of the few remaining who could be put on that list - regardless of whether Mase will ever deliver at Lampard's level. We need some identity at our club.

• Like 3