Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

6 minutes ago, BMox81 said:

Im not suggesting that the effort hasn’t been put in. Especially what with getting the forum back up and running.

For me I guess there was always the discussion but we had the fallback of the trophies won to offset anything else. Without that it’s just the continual bickering.

And while I’m not suggesting that it has to be all lovey dovey, there is also the opposite that it doesn’t have to be all doom and gloom either.

Apologies for making my comment.

No apology needed for posting honestly felt thoughts.... disagreement does not mean lack of respect of an opinion/viewpoint>

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Not sure why we would have to split it, spending top dollar on any player means we can't spend top dollar on another player. It's a sunk cost and the opportunity cost is not being able to spend money on someone else.  

The absolute vast majority of the money spent has been on players supposed to contribute to the first team. The money we've spent on players never meant for the first team is negligble. Also, if you are removing spend on players you deem is not for the first team, why do you include sales from players who are not deemed to be first team contributors? 

Here's the detailed breakdown. 

Kellyman €22.5m

Anselmino €16.5

Wiley €10.1

Washington €16m

Angelo €15m

Casadei €15m

Santos €12.5m

DD Fofana €12m

Slonina €9m

That sums up to €128.6m of the €1.3bn we've spent on new players. Again, I'm not including Paez and Estevao since they are deals for next season. Now, the €500m we've sold players for are also including a number of players who were never going to be part of the first team squad. But even if you subtract the full amount, you still arrive at a new spend figure of €671m.

My calculations were from last season.  I made that clear.   I didn't exclude players meant for the first team, I excluded players who hadn't joined us yet.

Again, the purpose was to show what players bought within the TBSD era were actually available to the first team last season. 

I deducted KK's selling price and the players who were unavailable for the whole season.  

When I did this, the amount spent by the club wasn't £1bn.  It was actually £850m plus (can't remember the exact figure). I'll try to find the post and share it again. 

Comparing the Neto and Felix transfers, I am far more positive about Neto. The only issue, and it's a fairly massive one, is his injury record. He's a great player, Premier League proven, and perfectly fits the left-wing spot.

Felix is a mental lightweight who goes missing in big games, ducks out of challenges and Simeone doesn't trust. I have no idea where he is going to play - false 9, off the right? 

It seems like the club have this very particular idea of us playing total football and that Felix can magically slot into that. But the Premier League still requires mental and physical characteristics that Felix has shown zero signs of possessing.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

39 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Comparing the Neto and Felix transfers, I am far more positive about Neto. The only issue, and it's a fairly massive one, is his injury record. He's a great player, Premier League proven, and perfectly fits the left-wing spot.

Felix is a mental lightweight who goes missing in big games, ducks out of challenges and Simeone doesn't trust. I have no idea where he is going to play - false 9, off the right? 

It seems like the club have this very particular idea of us playing total football and that Felix can magically slot into that. But the Premier League still requires mental and physical characteristics that Felix has shown zero signs of possessing.

Unfortunately I agree with you. Absolute nothing player. The definition of overrated. I'd have Sterling in the side all day over him. 

Hoping these words come back to absolutely haunt me this season and in the ones to come. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JaneB said:

...if all you guys met...in a pub I bet you would all enjoy interacting with each other, listen to different opinions and then put yours forward, all in a civilised way.

If any Blues live in Poland, say the word and we can meet to watch a match down the pub. Civilised is debatable though. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not sure if this is the right topic to post some concerned. not top priority, thoughts but here goes,

Reference the apparent hoovering up of so many young potentially good/great players.

By contrast,,first using another club as an example,,Citeh have nursed Foden's progress in text book fashion,,,fwiw I think what appears to be a form drop is due to the over burdening of players after a tough season and little rest..another subject.

In the past many Chelsea youngsters have been as effectively nursed through to first team appearances..some, of course, not quite good enough even by a small margin at times but some brilliantly successful,,,Reece,Mount and going back a little JT and TC,

The present group of young talent coming in will not get the same careful schooling in both top EPL terms or  understanding of Chelsea and the nuances of the game in UK.

Not as well put as in my head but any thoughts?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chara said:

Possible that we're stockpiling talent for a lengthy transfer ban and/or points deduction. Then it'll make sense. But right now it's tonto, the most talented kids in the world need to learn from elders. 

For example CR7 had Fergie, Ferdinand, Scholes, Solskjaer etc. to learn from and develop.

Mudryk has Maresca, Enzo, James, Cucurella, Nkunku etc. to learn from. 

Big difference.

28 minutes ago, Morgs said:

Unfortunately I agree with you. Absolute nothing player. The definition of overrated. I'd have Sterling in the side all day over him. 

Hoping these words come back to absolutely haunt me this season and in the ones to come. 

Not necessarily overrated these days, but I’m with you if there was a choice of one or the other it’d be Sterling.

As well as being the deal maker for Gallagher’s transfer, my suspicion is that the mob that own and seem to dictate the clubs dealings/playing style and who plays perhaps, may think that they might just be to play him into form and flip him for a profit. 

It would be fair to say that Felix never lived up to the £100m transfer to Athleti and his career has been on a downward curve since. Looked a lonely, lost young man at the recent Euro’s. 

If he thinks this is the club to care for and nurture him, he’s backed the wrong horse.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bertles86 said:

If any Blues live in Poland, say the word and we can meet to watch a match down the pub. Civilised is debatable though. 😄

Will be in Poland next weekend, but as it's elder son's wedding, doubt I can get time off ....

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Morgs said:

Thinking about it, you actually wonder if the board justified the Felix move with an opportunity to get Sterling off the books. I suspect this was never the primary plan as we were going for a CF, but we quickly moved to push Sterling out once Omorodion fell through and we decided to get Felix.

Like others, if we ended up with Osimhen and Felix I would take that over Omorodion and Sterling, but the whole thing is clearly chaotic, and I am concerned about the effect on morale our hardcore pushing players out will have.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, chara said:

Not sure if this is the right topic to post some concerned. not top priority, thoughts but here goes,

Reference the apparent hoovering up of so many young potentially good/great players.

By contrast,,first using another club as an example,,Citeh have nursed Foden's progress in text book fashion,,,fwiw I think what appears to be a form drop is due to the over burdening of players after a tough season and little rest..another subject.

In the past many Chelsea youngsters have been as effectively nursed through to first team appearances..some, of course, not quite good enough even by a small margin at times but some brilliantly successful,,,Reece,Mount and going back a little JT and TC,

The present group of young talent coming in will not get the same careful schooling in both top EPL terms or  understanding of Chelsea and the nuances of the game in UK.

I see this as the main risks with the strategy. How on earth are we going to give all these players the time and effort they need to develop? 

But I’m starting to think this isn’t the strategy after all. We are not overly concerned with their actual development, rather we are looking for a moment where we can sell at a ‘book profit’. If that’s the case, the strategy is more crass than first believed, but at least have a chance of being somewhat successful. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

GVby-96XQAEzPLg.jpeg.70733554504363c2bf396515dc5c11a6.jpeg

What would be interesting would be to see what each clubs liabilities under those contract years. 

For instance we have 191 years worth of contracts and say each one of those years, cost us a thousand pounds = £191k worth of liabilities 

Man City have 71 years at three thousand pounds per year = £213k worth of liabilities 

Edited by east lower
Used those numbers for simplicity purposes, clearly don’t reflect the likely real ones.
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I see this as the main risks with the strategy. How on earth are we going to give all these players the time and effort they need to develop? 

But I’m starting to think this isn’t the strategy after all. We are not overly concerned with their actual development, rather we are looking for a moment where we can sell at a ‘book profit’. If that’s the case, the strategy is more crass than first believed, but at least have a chance of being somewhat successful. 

That's 100% what is going on. I've been trying to say it for a while. As I said previously players like Santos, Casadei,  DD Fofana, Chukwuemeka  who have all been here for two years can now be sold at pretty much what we bought them for,so at a profit, at least in terms of PSR. Very little football development between them yet will all make profit.

It may be crass, I've never said its something I agree with, just blatantly obvious what's going on but equally it's nothing new, clubs have been doing it for years, us included, just not on the scale we are currently seeing. It does however show just how badly thought out PSR/FFP is.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

He can't play against on loan

I know 👍. He’s probably the one loan/ex-player I’d not worry too much about.

Comment was made more in reference to the potential payment of £30m for him, as long as Ipswich stay-up. 6 points versus £30m 🤔

Edited by east lower

Ah yes..that famously used statistic.. 

Sky coverage of us has been awful (not sure if anyone tuned into MNF yesterday?). The bloke talking about the below went on to say we have to pay players all the wages remaining on the length of their contract if we sell them, full of misinformation. 

It also makes no sense, 10 players on 7 year contracts is 7 years into the future not 70 (assuming they were registered the same year)? 

1 hour ago, Holymoly said:

GVby-96XQAEzPLg.jpeg.70733554504363c2bf396515dc5c11a6.jpeg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

That's 100% what is going on. I've been trying to say it for a while. As I said previously players like Santos, Casadei,  DD Fofana, Chukwuemeka  who have all been here for two years can now be sold at pretty much what we bought them for,so at a profit, at least in terms of PSR. Very little football development between them yet will all make profit.

It may be crass, I've never said its something I agree with, just blatantly obvious what's going on but equally it's nothing new, clubs have been doing it for years, us included, just not on the scale we are currently seeing. It does however show just how badly thought out PSR/FFP is.

You do realise we lose a book profit on those players each year too. So this year's "profit" is just covering the new years recruits book losses. This strategy works for like 2 years before it comes back to bite you in the ass. This isn't some grand master plan, it's maths for 4 year olds

1 minute ago, Lump Of Celery said:

You do realise we lose a book profit on those players each year too. So this year's "profit" is just covering the new years recruits book losses. This strategy works for like 2 years before it comes back to bite you in the ass. This isn't some grand master plan, it's maths for 4 year olds

I’m not sure that people are grasping the fact that the owners firstly and fore mostly need to make a profit, a return on investment.

Fannying around ensuring PSR/FFP is a consequence of their mistakes thus far.

They are in year 3, they spoke about a 5 and 10 year/long-term plan. By jimminy, they’ve got to go some in years 4-10 to turn around the P&L losses and start satisfying the investors - or the investors might just say, get the **** out of Dodge, protect what’s left of our investment and sharpish like.

• Like 2