Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

12 minutes ago, Ham said:

I think Lavia has to start at the moment. 

Unless we're playing 3 CMs, I'd take Enzo out currently but I don't think that's going to happen with him having been vice captain. 

Agreed.

Lavia just has to carry on doing what he's doing to become irreplaceable for us at the moment.  And that's after a year out, one game and at the age of 20. Phenomenal potential. 

Lavia and Caicedo appear to be a very well balanced pairing that complement each other very well and are only going to get better individually and as a partnership. 

I like Enzo, a lot, could see him at PSG and being a superstar, just not sure he will ever be cut out for this league. On the flip side of that, and I keep saying this, against lesser teams where we have 60% possession and spend most of the game in the opponents half his qualities will be more apparent and his weaknesses less obvious. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Question for all, who would this elite CB be that you think we should sign? As ever we’re ALL very good at saying who we shouldn’t sign, but I’m not seeing many names being put forward?

So, which top level elite CB should we sign, that we actually have a realistic chance of getting?

I am not sure there is an obvious one out there any better than what we have. 

Genuinely can't think of a single one that wouldn't have question marks

36 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I'll put my name in for Guehi. I am not sure he is the next Van Dijk, but he walks into our first-team and improves it.

Does he? I'm really not so sure. If he wasn't an ex academy player I doubt they'd be much clamor, and not at 65m quid. 

Keen to see what we can get out of Fofana - Colwill before we go big on another CB 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I am not sure there is an obvious one out there any better than what we have. 

Does he? I'm really not so sure. If he wasn't an ex academy player I doubt they'd be much clamor, and not at 65m quid. 

Keen to see what we can get out of Fofana - Colwill before we go big on another CB 

He was absolutely excellent at the Euros and has been a PL stalwart for Palace - that's where the clamor is coming from.

If Colwill was better than Guehi he would have started ahead of him for England, but he's not!

1 minute ago, Max Fowler said:

He was absolutely excellent at the Euros and has been a PL stalwart for Palace - that's where the clamor is coming from.

If Colwill was better than Guehi he would have started ahead of him for England, but he's not!

To be fair, Colwill was getting in the squad before him and then got injured.

I’m torn on Guehi, I do think he was good at the Euros and has done well for Palace, but I’m not sure he’s been as good as some are suggesting.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

IMHO the whole "question marks" thing is a false flag as well. Yes there are "question marks" around any signing, pretty much bar Haaland and Mbappe, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to do better than what we currently have.

I accept that others have the opinion that we need to support the likes of say Jackson by giving him minutes rather than buying an expensive forward who might not be better, but to me that just sounds like whatabboutery rather than thinking critically.

18 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I was mega excited when we signed Fofana, if I could have picked one young CB to sign, at the time, it would have been him. Sure there were some injury concerns and it was a lot of money but based on sheer ability and potential I'd have picked him above anyone.

I don't recall too many being against it at the time either. Again most concerns were over his fitness and price, not him as a player.

Colwill has been on everyone's radar for a very long time. One of the most exciting young English CB's to come through in  ages. He's started 8 premier league games for us at CB so, like most of this squad, the time to judge him is not now. 

Both just need a steady season, with no major injuries to see how they develop. If, and it may well be a very big if, they both stay injury free I don't think people will be discussing the need for a new CB. 

I will be the first to admit it's a huge gamble going into a season, where champions league qualification is so important, with those two as our main starting CB's but it's a gamble I'm happy we have taken.

Guehi at £65m+ says it all really. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I think his injuries may have had something to do with that.

14 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

No messing about then…

IMG_9078.jpeg

That's pretty brutal!

4 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

I was mega excited when we signed Fofana, if I could have picked one young CB to sign, at the time, it would have been him. Sure there were some injury concerns and it was a lot of money but based on sheer ability and potential I'd have picked him above anyone.

I don't recall too many being against it at the time either. Again most concerns were over his fitness and price, not him as a player.

Colwill has been on everyone's radar for a very long time. One of the most exciting young English CB's to come through in  ages. He's started 8 premier league games for us at CB so, like most of this squad, the time to judge him is not now. 

Both just need a steady season, with no major injuries to see how they develop. If, and it may well be a very big if, they both stay injury free I don't think people will be discussing the need for a new CB. 

I will be the first to admit it's a huge gamble going into a season, where champions league qualification is so important, with those two as our main starting CB's but it's a gamble I'm happy we have taken.

Guehi at £65m+ says it all really. 

Yes, but the fitness you are glossing over is the key point Martin. Fofana is highly unlikely to last the season given two massive injuries in recent years, and we have no idea what kind of player he is any more. I would still keep him and Colwill but have another starting CB option to see who does best out of those two.

13 minutes ago, Spawton said:

The way they are treating these players is awful and I hope they end up with egg on their face. 

Sadly this kind of thing goes on in businesses every day and football is just a business now. I, as I’m sure others have, have been made redundant before, because the business needed to save costs due to decisions they had made previously. It hurts and it’s crap, but it isn’t personal.

Sadly for me, my 3 months salary pay out I got wouldn’t even cover a weeks wages that the players are getting.

The massive difference is that all these dealings are splashed all over the TV, Internet and papers for all to see and have an opinion on.

If Barcelona came in for Chilwell or Sterling just before the end of the window, do you think they’d say no as it would cause an issue for the club, the balance of the squad and upset the fans?

• Agree 2

To clarify, before I get attacked for my previous post. I don’t agree with treating people this way and there is a way of doing things, I’m just pointing out that similar things happen to others every day, it’s not just football and it certainly isn’t just our club.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Sadly this kind of thing goes on in businesses every day and football is just a business now. I, as I’m sure others have, have been made redundant before, because the business needed to save costs due to decisions they had made previously. It hurts and it’s crap, but it isn’t personal.

Sadly for me, my 3 months salary pay out I got wouldn’t even cover a weeks wages that the players are getting.

The massive difference is that all these dealings are splashed all over the TV, Internet and papers for all to see and have an opinion on.

If Barcelona came in for Chilwell or Sterling just before the end of the window, do you think they’d say no as it would cause an issue for the club, the balance of the squad and upset the fans?

Absolutely! Players will leave on their own terms and in their own interests if they can and clubs will attempt to induce players to leave if they no longer want them. It was ever thus. What is exercising people is the scale, rapidity and decisiveness of the action to move players in and out.

Edited by RDCW
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Spawton said:

The way they are treating these players is awful and I hope they end up with egg on their face. 

I'm not Sterling or Chilwell's biggest fan but it's disgraceful behaviour. These are not managerial decisions because the nobody has no say so why are the directors doing this now, this late into the window? Reeks of desperation. 

5 minutes ago, Bison said:

I'm not Sterling or Chilwell's biggest fan but it's disgraceful behaviour. These are not managerial decisions because the nobody has no say so why are the directors doing this now, this late into the window? Reeks of desperation. 

Or, it could be the managers decision. 

How many minutes did they play in pre season?

5 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Last I read is that he’s in talks to join a Saudi club.

Story being told is that Arsenal are waiting to see what offers come in from who and what number, then will go in late with their bid. They are hoping to minimise the fee that way.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

To clarify, before I get attacked for my previous post. I don’t agree with treating people this way and there is a way of doing things, I’m just pointing out that similar things happen to others every day, it’s not just football and it certainly isn’t just our club.

Thing is, in a normal UK based business there is a process to follow to get to the redundancy and consultation at every stage MUST occur. If the business fails then the employee automatically wins any case taken to tribunal for failure to follow correct procedures and possibly incorrect selection.

But this isn’t redundancy, as the role still exists. The employer just thinks that they’ve got a better option now and are using various nefarious tactics to force some players out. You try doing that to an employee and you end up in court - in the UK. But as someone else has mentioned in another post, employment law in the USA offers far less protection or rights for the employees.

1 hour ago, Spawton said:

Oh boo hoo. Sterling can sit and take his 300k per week for 3 years or he can choose to spend his time happily playing football somewhere else. First World problems. Truth is none of us are a party to how or when they get told, but I'm pretty confident no-one died.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

He was injured. 

Reece James is better than Walker and Arnold, who did Captain Obvious take? 

9 minutes ago, east lower said:

Thing is, in a normal UK based business there is a process to follow to get to the redundancy and consultation at every stage MUST occur. If the business fails then the employee automatically wins any case taken to tribunal for failure to follow correct procedures and possibly incorrect selection.

But this isn’t redundancy, as the role still exists. The employer just thinks that they’ve got a better option now and are using various nefarious tactics to force some players out. You try doing that to an employee and you end up in court - in the UK. But as someone else has mentioned in another post, employment law in the USA offers far less protection or rights for the employees.

Yes and no. Legally if you are making less than 20 people redundant the process is slightly different and can be much more cut throat… the first round of redundancies at my previous company were under this number and they literally split the company into two rooms and those who were going, were informed there and then and had to go that day. Fortunately when it was my turn they had gone over this number and we had to go through the consultation process… I say fortunately, it wasn’t a lot of fun!

You’re right though this isn’t redundancy, but I was just trying to highlight that nasty things happen in business every day and ultimately, employers will get rid of you if needed, without too much of a second thought. Not all, but a lot will. It’s one of the reasons I don’t want to progress too much further in seniority and into the C-Suite, because believe it or not, I’m too nice and can’t be cut throat like that!

I’ve seen people managed out many times though and it’s horrible to see, that is essentially what’s happening here, but publicly.

6 minutes ago, east lower said:

I don't think football works like a "normal" business to be honest. 

They're on a contract and they can demand to honour it if they wish but they generally don't as it's probably quite unpleasant despite the money on offer. 

Sterling could dig in his heels and take the dough like Winston Bogarde but I'd imagine he will want to play. 

None of this is particularly nice but thems the breaks. 

• Like 2