Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

7 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

I’m not entirely sure these type of videos, taken out of context, are entirely fair. Raheem has imo been more of a “moments” player, absolutely, and even as a fan of his I would say he’s generally been a bit disappointing, but I don’t think he deserves to be pilloried. A lot of players do stuff like this imo. Saying that I’m fine with him leaving. I’m not happy about Chilly B being cast aside, though. I know his injury record is terrible but again personally I rate him. Anyway. We are where we are. 💯💀🫠👀

Agree with you on Chilwell.  Sadly, nobody else on here has noticed that he's also been cast aside and sent to the bomb squad.  

3 minutes ago, Bison said:

For every Sterling clip like this there are 10 clips of Mudryk running the ball out for a goal kick or one of his shots hitting the corner flag.

Why don't you have the same energy for that waste of space?

Why do you have so much energy for Mudryk? It's unhealthy. 

Just now, Ham said:

Agree with you on Chilwell.  Sadly, nobody else on here has noticed that he's also been cast aside and sent to the bomb squad.  

Why do you have so much energy for Mudryk? It's unhealthy. 

That's why I'm staying in bed all day Ham my man.

• Haha 1

You know, the whole Raheem debacle isn't even about Raheem ultimately. It speaks to something much bigger and to something that will continue to happen at this club. Lets use another player as an example:

In a year from now we are forced to sign a decent right-back from a club so that they have the money to sign one of our better players we needed sold for PSR reasons. (Which is also a ridiculous way to run a football club to begin with...) When those deals finally get concluded, a day before the season is about to kick off we go to Reece James (big wages, rarely shows up to work etc etc) and "kindly" ask him to fuck off, ask him not to show up for work anymore and take his shirtnumbers from him. A day before the season starts remember with a week or so left of the transfer window. Would that be decent and respectful behavior towards a senior player contracted to the club? I'll question the morale of anyone who says yes.

If something similar happened in the "real world" and your boss showed up at your desk tomorrow and asked you to piss off because your paid to much you'd be furious. 
And even more so when your asshole boss removed your desk and told you that if you do want to show up to work you'll be asked to clean the office bathrooms on every floor
every day until you yourself have had enough. You'd want to throw him out of the 10th floor window. And we are that asshole boss.

All this disrespect will come back to bite us. Mark my words. As a matter of fact I would not at all be surprised if we saw a social-media post from Palmer any day where he supports his mate Sterling. And then we got it going..

Edited by MickyDroy

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Come on Paul, you are smarter than this. I get that you are trying everything you can to defend the clubs decisions, but deep down I know that you know exactly what I mean.

This is a little ironic. I get that you are trying everything you can to criticise the club's decisions. 

I am not defending anything. I genuinely didnt see anything to get upset about.

Compare it to the other signings we’ve made this season. This communication is OTT. Felix has come “home”? 

Well, they don't use the word "home" so a strange use of speech marks, it is just an emoji. Grammar aside, none of the other signings were re-signing, so there is a difference

Is this more his home than what it is for Conor?

Did they say it is? 

This is an example of where sensible discourse has gone out of the window. An innocuous social media post has lead to you (and the predictable 2 likes) getting upset over an emoji.

I understand the frustrations over the academy players being sold, the poor results, the lack of shirt sponsorship or anything else they have got wrong. I just don't see it with this. It's like when you end up breaking up with a girlfriend after they leave another mug in the sink instead of washing it up. It's not the one mug that is the problem. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Bison said:

For every Sterling clip like this there are 10 clips of Mudryk running the ball out for a goal kick or one of his shots hitting the corner flag.

Why don't you have the same energy for that waste of space?

Wonder if there is a Sanchez one, or Disaster & Badesheille joint effort? 

6 minutes ago, MickyDroy said:

You know, the whole Raheem debacle isn't even about Raheem ultimately. It speaks to something much bigger and to something that will continue to happen at this club. Lets use another player as an example:

In a year from now we are forced to sign a decent right-back from a club so that they have the money to sign one of our better players we needed sold for PSR reasons. (Which is also a ridiculous way to run a football club to begin with...) When those deals finally get concluded, a day before the season is about to kick off we go to Reece James (big wages, rarely shows up to work etc etc) and "kindly" ask him to fuck off, ask him not to show up for work anymore and take his shirtnumbers from him. A day before the season starts remember with a week or so left of the transfer window. Would that be decent and respectful behavior towards a senior player contracted to the club? I'll question the morale of anyone who says yes.

If something similar happened in the "real world" and your boss showed up at your desk tomorrow and asked you to piss off because your paid to much you'd be furious. 
And even more so when your asshole boss removed your desk and told you that if you do want to show up to work you'll be asked to clean the office bathrooms on every floor
every day until you yourself have had enough. You'd want to throw him out of the 10th floor window. And we are that asshole boss.

All this disrespect will come back to bite us. Mark my words. As a matter of fact I would not at all be surprised if we saw a social-media post from Palmer any day where he supports his mate Sterling. And then we got it going..

If someone offered to pay me £300k a week to clean the toilets, I’d take it and work weekends as well!

9 minutes ago, Ham said:

because he didn't kick up a stink.

If anything, he is entitled to be more p*ssed off IMO. He's just a more decent bloke. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MickyDroy said:

I don't think anyone is really arguing that the situation could've been handled with more grace, however the football world continues to evolve day by day, and situations change depending on an array of circumstances that just happen to present. A player can be in favour one minute, not the next. We've seen it many times before - including here.

The whole taking of Sterling squad number doesn't really bother me in any great deal. If he's not part of our plans, he's likely to not be registered in any competitions we're in, and therefore having a squad number is more or less redundant. Would people have preferred he retain his number but remain unregistered kicking his heels on the sidelines while training away from the main group? 

9 minutes ago, MickyDroy said:

I'd clean the office for £300k per week. Is there anyone here who wouldn't? If it was for my salary then yes I would walk and find another role after the leaving package. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Blue Orca said:

If it was for my salary then yes I would walk and find another role after the leaving package. 

Yes, because your boss would have been a complete and utter asshole.

And thats my point. Next summer it will happen to Reece James. I bet there will be a different tune from many then. Its bottom of the barrel behavior from a club that used to be run with far more grace.

1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

what is?

Upgrading his position and tell him he can go?

Happens at every football club, every season.

No, that's fine and commonplace in football. But locking him out of Cobham and taking his shirtnumber away while he's still contracted to the club is. Especially when there is extremely little time for our player to find a new club for himself.
The manager told him he was going to be a key player this season only a couple of weeks ago and now he's persona non grata a day before the season kicks off? Get out of here.

20 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

my bad. It's only 2. but I still think LC is the better player, and was in the England squad before he got injured.

Ah, I thought I'd missed another player somewhere. I don't really rate Colwill to date but I reckon Guehi isn't that much better, not to the extent it's worth chasing him. I'd also prefer to stick with Colwill and see how he goes with more game time.

3 minutes ago, MickyDroy said:

No, that's fine and commonplace in football. But locking him out of Cobham and taking his shirtnumber away while he's still contracted to the club is. Especially when there is extremely little time for our player to find a new club for himself.
The manager told him he was going to be a key player this season only a couple of weeks ago and now he's persona non grata a day before the season kicks off? Get out of here.

I'm a bit shaky on the timelines. Did we strip him of his shirt number and go public before, or after his statement?

If before, I agree, it's terrible treatment. If we didn't, then he brought it on himself really.

43 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Thing is, all clubs do this. It has to happen. Fair to criticise the press when they're hypocritical in how they deal with it. But as supporters, I think we should expect our club to manage these decisions a certain way, irrespective of how other clubs manage it. Why would I, for example, give a shit about how Barca treat their players? They mean nothing to me. It's Chelsea I care about.

With respect, though, that's because you left out the relevant details.

Football is cut throat. Players get sold, left out, it happens. Sterling is not a player, in a football sense at least, we are going to miss at all. But I think you and I both know what the symbolism of taking away a shirt number and giving it to another player, especially once the season has started already, and when that player took a different number a few weeks ago. It's a minor, insignificant detail in the grand scheme but will carry more weight with the players themselves.

This isn't taking a player to the side and explaining they aren't in the plans and that we'll want to move them on and will help them do that, which happens multiple times at every club in the world each window (and if we believe Sterling, pretty much the opposite to this happened). This is being about as hostile as you can be within the remit of a contract, and all in public. In fact, it being in public is the exact point of it.

But, we just don't know do we. 

We do know that he wasn't picked for the first match day squad of the season. We do know he then released a statement an hour before kick off. Other than that we know nothing. We dont know there hasn't been discussions since the start of pre season. We don't know what happened after that statement. Maybe there was a fall out because Maresca wasn't happy and Raheem acted like a dick. Maybe not. We don't know.

What's happening here, much like everything that is being discussed is you've got two sides. The 'happy clappy' side, as some like to call us who in reality have done nothing but question what's going on. Then there's the more negative posters who are interpretating everything they see as fact, because it fits their narrative.

It happened with Gallagher. He has apparently turned down 3 contracts yet people have just dismissed it as 'club briefings' quite simply because they don't want to believe it because it doesn't suit their argument.

So much going on we don't know about, so much being stated as fact to suit agendas. Anyone that questions anything is just dismissed. Which says a lot really as no-one knows yet the ones with a more open mind are the ones being told they are wrong.

• Agree 3

. But locking him out of Cobham and taking his shirtnumber away while he's still contracted to the club is

I don't think he has been locked out of anywhere. Just not training in the main group, along with Chilwell, Lukaku, Kepa etc

And why does he need a shirt number if he isn't going to get picked?

Did he? Or is that made up?

He's no longer needed as Neto has signed.

2 minutes ago, ChelseaJambo said:

I'm a bit shaky on the timelines. Did we strip him of his shirt number and go public before, or after his statement?

If before, I agree, it's terrible treatment. If we didn't, then he brought it on himself really.

The squad number stuff happened yesterday 

8 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I don't think he has been locked out of anywhere. Just not training in the main group, along with Chilwell, Lukaku, Kepa etc

And why does he need a shirt number if he isn't going to get picked?

Did he? Or is that made up?

He's no longer needed as Neto has signed.

The squad number stuff happened yesterday 

Cheers. The weekend was a hazy one for me back home for the Fringe. The first I was aware of it all the shenanigans was pre-game...I believe, because Sterling had opted to go public.

I like him as a guy (as best you can a stranger) and a player and no doubt he'll have been hurting but going public with that statement was poor and as such if we then kept it public and took his number away I've really not much sympathy for him.

8 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

So much going on we don't know about, so much being stated as fact to suit agendas. Anyone that questions anything is just dismissed. Which says a lot really as no-one knows yet the ones with a more open mind are the ones being told they are wrong.

I'm keeping just these two bits to respond to.

You're right that we don't know. We never do. All any of us can do is take a view based on the bits and pieces we do know. What I do know is that we've taken Sterling's squad number. I know that isn't an especially common move to make with a player of his stature. I know that Sterling says he's been told up until very recently he is part of the plans (although I don't know how accurate an account that is, tbf). If we're going to say "well, we don't know", none of us should ever have or express a view on anything to do with the club. So it's true, but not an especially useful thing to hang our hats on.

Second bit, I'm literally being told I'm wrong in most of the conversations I've got going on here currently. And I think I fall pretty firmly in the camp of being very worried about how the club is wrong. So, as painfully ironic as it is, this is the one thing I'd say to you that you are wrong on. Everything else is a different POV.

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

We do know that he wasn't picked for the first match day squad of the season. We do know he then released a statement an hour before kick off. Other than that we know nothing. We dont know there hasn't been discussions since the start of pre season. We don't know what happened after that statement. Maybe there was a fall out because Maresca wasn't happy and Raheem acted like a dick. Maybe not. We don't know.

What's happening here, much like everything that is being discussed is you've got two sides. The 'happy clappy' side, as some like to call us who in reality have done nothing but question what's going on. Then there's the more negative posters who are interpretating everything they see as fact, because it fits their narrative.

It happened with Gallagher. He has apparently turned down 3 contracts yet people have just dismissed it as 'club briefings' quite simply because they don't want to believe it because it doesn't suit their argument.

As pointed out by @thevelourfog , we all do this, including you.

It was only back in Feb/March you posted it’s clear 90% of our fan base wanted Poch out……well it wasn’t clear and was a made up, very wide of the mark percentage posted to suit your agenda. 

Edited by Thiago97