Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

28 minutes ago, Box of Tricks said:

A few Dominic Calvert-Lewin links about this morning.

Spent the last half-hour trying to form an opinion on him. Got as far as he looked decent under Ancelotti, hasn't really done anything of note since. Not as injury prone as I thought. Seems contractually obliged to post about Braun a lot.

I think he'll do better here than the social media meltdown suggests, but it does feel like desperate measures. I'd probably take him as a low wage swap for Broja on deadline day if we didn't have anything else up our sleeve.

I'd actually be ok with this, I think an experienced PL striker would be good for our squad and for Jackson.

• Like 1

I actually don’t mind the approach of signing every goalkeeper under the sun, every young talented player et cetera. It’s clear where we’re trying a shotgun approach to try and get as many players to either make quick money and or have a chance of becoming breakout stars as possible.

Far more concerning for me is the money we have spent this window on the first team and the incomings and outgoings.

Our squad looks woefully imbalanced and it will come back to haunt us badly.

32 minutes ago, Box of Tricks said:

A few Dominic Calvert-Lewin links about this morning.

Spent the last half-hour trying to form an opinion on him. Got as far as he looked decent under Ancelotti, hasn't really done anything of note since. Not as injury prone as I thought. Seems contractually obliged to post about Braun a lot.

I think he'll do better here than the social media meltdown suggests, but it does feel like desperate measures. I'd probably take him as a low wage swap for Broja on deadline day if we didn't have anything else up our sleeve.

I’m sorry, but how is he not as injury prone as you thought? Without looking into the specifics of his injuries, he’s been injured a hell of a lot in recent seasons 

41 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Oddly I wouldn't be completely against this for two reasons.

Firstly, and I've said many times, I think Jackosn has the potential to become one of the elite strikers. There aren't many players about, certainly at his age, that have shown his prmosie or rapid progress. Let's not forget he's only had two seasons of top level football.

Secondly,  if it's Calvert-Lewin for Broja then that in itself is a huge upgrade. He'd certainly give us a different type of option upfront, is a good age with good premier league experience. 

I would actually,  bizarrely maybe, be more up for this than us signing Osimhen but mainly because of how highly I rate Jackson.

Another angle to look at here - if we sign DCL, we won't have to worry about him having his two world class performances a season against us.  

He is a player who wouldn't have had the career he has had without scoring a hatful against us. The Scouse Steven Naismith, if you will. 

See also: Ade Akinbiyi, Dean Windass, Sylvain Wiltord, Javier "Pea" Hernandez and Scott McTominay. 

Edited by Morgs
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Morgs said:

Another angle to look at here - if we sign DCL, we won't have to worry about him having his two world class performances a season against us.  

He is a player who wouldn't have had the career he has had without scoring a hatful against us. The Scouse Steven Naismith, if you will. 

See also: Ade Akinbiyi, Dean Windass, Sylvain Wiltord, Javier "Pea" Hernandez and Scott McTominay. 

Steven Naismith... urgh

1 hour ago, martin1905 said:

Oddly I wouldn't be completely against this for two reasons.

Firstly, and I've said many times, I think Jackosn has the potential to become one of the elite strikers. There aren't many players about, certainly at his age, that have shown his prmosie or rapid progress. Let's not forget he's only had two seasons of top level football.

Secondly,  if it's Calvert-Lewin for Broja then that in itself is a huge upgrade. He'd certainly give us a different type of option upfront, is a good age with good premier league experience. 

I would actually,  bizarrely maybe, be more up for this than us signing Osimhen but mainly because of how highly I rate Jackson.

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I'd actually be ok with this, I think an experienced PL striker would be good for our squad and for Jackson.

There are definite upsides to a deal (different profile, experience, etc). Have to agree, I wouldn't be against this happening - he'd be a decent option to have around and he won't clip Jackson's wings.

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

I’m sorry, but how is he not as injury prone as you thought? Without looking into the specifics of his injuries, he’s been injured a hell of a lot in recent seasons 

He has, but it looks like a hamstring issue throughout 22/23 that hasn't bothered him since (he was virtually available all last season), and a broken toe (which kept him out for a fair chunk of 21/22).

So, he has had injuries, but doesn't appear to be ravaged by them in a way that you'd be talking a chance on a Luke Shaw, etc.

Edit - or we could get Ivan Toney...

Edited by Box of Tricks

Toney, bosh. Exactly what we need and wouldn't create too much drama with Jackson or the wage structure. Great signing if it happens. 

I wasn't sure on him but I watched him for England a few weeks ago and he is an elite level sh*thouse and mentality monster.  Love it. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Beat me to it.

I think this will happen and I don't think it will be for too much money. It feels like it suits Brentford, Toney and Chelsea.

I agree it will happen BUT i bet (tee-hee) we will get fleeced.

I think there are two mitigants here:

1 - Jackson will play on the left when Toney plays up top. It's his natural position, I think. I don't see signing Toney as necessarily a block to his development. 

2 - Jackson is a totally different type of striker to Toney and some teams will need a route one aggressive physical lump, others like Wolves on Sunday need pace and running. I think there is room in the squad for two. If anyone's development is going to be held up by signing Toney, I think it is Guiu. 

Just now, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Get in. Would much prefer him to Osimhen.

Me too. 100%.

The one thing about him people don't really talk about is that he's a quality footballer. Technically he's superb and will fit in well with our other technically gifted forwards 

I’ve been hoping for Toney for a while now.

I have been critical of this window early on, but the last three signings Neto , Felix, Toney all actually improve the first team squad in quality and not just depth. 
Shame we didn’t manage to move one CB out and bring in an established quality performer, but can’t always address everything in one window, even though I think we missed out on some potential good options.

I think Jackson , Toney and Nkunku are three great options to all compete for that one position, but with the flexibility of tow of three being able to play slightly different roles.

We needed competition like this to really push each player in training and knowing they need to perform well. We should have plenty of games ahead with a deep European run.

• Like 1

I don’t think this is a bad move. If we went the Ossim route then a crest fallen Jackson is reduced to cup games and conference. Plus we have a huge wage bill, possible points deduction if we can’t sell players in 7 days etc. But with Jackson and Toney it’s a competition for the place.  They will push each other. 
Based solely on Sunday ( which is the danger) we have goals all over the pitch. Palmer will be top scorer I expect. Noni, Felix, Nkunku, James , Neto will all contribute.  We ain’t gonna win the title this season but I’d be more than happy with Jackson and Toney competing for a place. 

10 minutes ago, Morgs said:

I think there are two mitigants here:

1 - Jackson will play on the left when Toney plays up top. It's his natural position, I think. I don't see signing Toney as necessarily a block to his development. 

2 - Jackson is a totally different type of striker to Toney and some teams will need a route one aggressive physical lump, others like Wolves on Sunday need pace and running. I think there is room in the squad for two. If anyone's development is going to be held up by signing Toney, I think it is Guiu. 

These are good points 👍

Jackson just strikes me as such a confidence players and it's easier to justify being dropped for a superstar in your own head Vs a Brentford striker.

That said, it may enable us to get him out of the firing line and protect his confidence a bit better whilst as you say still retaining game time in a different position.

I'm still on the fence though, and after Enzo's summer, a little concerned about another questionable character joining the club.

Can live with Toney should that be the pathway we take. Would prefer better, but can also see his value when it comes to not blocking Jackson, keeping within our wage structure, and of course gives us another ready made player that knows the league. Style wise he's technical enough to fit the football we're playing and helps gets others involved.

Dear Brentford

Lovely speaking with you today ( our dear brothers across town). As discussed we would be quite interested in MrToney  particularly as he’s the spit of Didier Drogba and we like to dream. 
Now, about the money . We have an idea . We give you £25m ( cash or card) and we can offer you a real prospect called Broja. He’s gone under the radar a bit  ( as he lies down a lot) but let me tell you , this boy is special ( in all sorts of ways). Have a think.

Lets us know your thoughts but make it snappy.

Lots of love 

TB