Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

2 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Lol

All part of the plan. Our owners cannot resist a bit of deadline drama! Maresca and the club knew as far back as June that Sterling was not his type of winger, but we left it until mid August to act upon this, purely for the excitement and drama of being the leading act on deadline day.

Us covering part of Sterlings wages so that he can take part in the title-race with Arsenal would just be peak Clearlake. Imagine someone told you that ten years ago? "Yeah, in ten years this club will be run like such a circus that we'll be paying Arsenal-players salaries for them"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I saw a rumour online yesterday , that Arsenal do want Sterling , they just don't want  to pay a fee for him .

If we let Arsenal get him for no fee or if we commit to paying part of his astronomical wages then those in charge should be the very next out of the club within seconds of the deal being green lighted .

• Agree 3

7 minutes ago, MickyDroy said:

Us covering part of Sterlings wages so that he can take part in the title-race with Arsenal would just be peak Clearlake. Imagine someone told you that ten years ago? "Yeah, in ten years this club will be run like such a circus that we'll be paying Arsenal-players salaries for them"

Veron, Shevchenko, Torres, Crespo, Morata, and a host of others all loaned out while we paid for, or subsidised, the majority of wages. Heck, if memory serves correctly Crespo ended up playing in the CL final that season vs Liverpool and scoring twice. 

I bet you were equally as livid over all these, right?

Edited by xceleryx

Why would Arsenal or anybody else want to pay a fee for a player our manager has repeatedly referred to as 'not his kind of winger' and who will get zero minutes if he remains at the club beyond the deadline. Same goes for Chalobah, Chilwell etc.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, MickyDroy said:

Unfortunately Yossi Benayoun exists. Take your point, though. 

Just now, xceleryx said:

Veron, Shevchenko, Torres, Crespo, Morata, and a host of others all loaned out while we paid for, or subsidised, the majority of wages. Heck, if memory serves correctly Crespo ended up playing in the CL final that season vs Liverpool and scoring twice. 

Not the same is it. C'mon man.

The example given is based on us potentially giving one of our closest rivals a boost that improves their chances of winning the league that we compete in.

All those other examples had no direct impact on us , or a direct rival in our league.

Apples and oranges.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Paying Crespo to trash Liverpool was perfectly fine with me.

Sending a top player to a direct rival and contribute to covering his wages for said rival is a circus act.

• Agree 1

Just now, Thiago97 said:

Not the same is it. C'mon man.

The example given is based on us potentially giving one of our closest rivals a boost that improves their chances of winning the league that we compete in.

All those other examples had no direct impact on us , or a direct rival in our league.

Apples and oranges.

We still sent players out that played in competitions we were competing in also. Sure, they may not have been domestic, but at the time when some of these guys left the Champions League was a major priority for us.

Either way, no real issue with selling players like Sterling, Havertz, etc to rivals. Happens all the time in Serie A, and I'd rather see us pay  a smaller percentage of Sterling's wages than the full amount for the next 3 years. Not as if his value is going to increase moving forward if we keep him around waiting for a better deal.

1 minute ago, MickyDroy said:

Paying Crespo to trash Liverpool was perfectly fine with me.

Sending a top player to a direct rival and contribute to covering his wages for said rival is a circus act.

Maybe in the Premier League but it's really not that big of a deal. 

We're not competing with Arsenal for a title at present, Sterling is 30 and only going to decline further once he drops a yard, and money saved is money saved. 

3 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Out of all of those only Torres and Morata pissed me off. Believe it or not I even liked Veron ( I was in a group of one I think). He had imo a bad rap while here. He looked a bit lazy but could at least pick a pass, spot a runner and look comfortable on the ball. I think him and his family were robbed at gun point in their home which must have been a pretty awful ordeal and affected your general state of mind. 

1 minute ago, xceleryx said:

We still sent players out that played in competitions we were competing in also. Sure, they may not have been domestic, but at the time when some of these guys left the Champions League was a major priority for us.

Either way, no real issue with selling players like Sterling, Havertz, etc to rivals. Happens all the time in Serie A, and I'd rather see us pay  a smaller percentage of Sterling's wages than the full amount for the next 3 years. Not as if his value is going to increase moving forward if we keep him around waiting for a better deal.

Yeah selling players to a rival is fine. Subsidising it at Sterling's age is totally different though.

That is the example that mickeydroy has presented, and he is spot on with it. We cannot defend  or attempt to justify nonsense  like this.

@xceleryx since you reference Serie A so much, would you be interested in joining Napolifcnet? Terms of the deal are you need to cease all your current paid work with Clearlake and Napolifcnet will only offer a 30% reduction in your total post length (to an average of 10 paragraphs).

Just kidding bro 😜 🫡

5 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

I’m going to give Lukaku credit for choosing to play for Napoli when he’s had lucrative offers to go play in Saudi Arabia. I’m sure it’s not just the local cuisine. 

Do they a MacDonalds in Saudi that serve the new triple Big Mac? It’s a no. There’s your answer. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Out of all of those only Torres and Morata pissed me off. Believe it or not I even liked Veron ( I was in a group of one I think). He had imo a bad rap while here. He looked a bit lazy but could at least pick a pass, spot a runner and look comfortable on the ball. I think him and his family were robbed at gun point in their home which must have been a pretty awful ordeal and affected your general state of mind. 

Honestly, I liked the majority of those players myself also - minus Morata. Crespo was one of my all-time favourite players, and I didn't mind Torres once he arrived (was a prick prior but did like his attitude). Veron though was always a curious case. A fantastic player but just didn't happen for him for a variety of reasons. One of the most technically astute players I've seen.

4 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Maybe in the Premier League but it's really not that big of a deal. 

We're not competing with Arsenal for a title at present, Sterling is 30 and only going to decline further once he drops a yard, and money saved is money saved. 

Is he 30? I read somewhere he was 28? Crucial two years in a forwards career. 

3 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

Yeah selling players to a rival is fine. Subsidising it at Sterling's age is totally different though.

That is the example that mickeydroy has presented, and he is spot on with it. We cannot defend  or attempt to justify nonsense  like this.

I'd agree if we were selling them a star or high tier player in their prime, I'm less bothered  by a nearly 30 year old Sterling that's not going to be any easier to shift the longer he stays. His wages rule out virtually most clubs, so the market for him is going to be tiny. I'd rather see us get what we can for him now, shed the majority of his wages, then be on the hook for a smaller percentage. 

Would you prefer no sale to happen and we're paying his full wages until either January or god forbid the summer and beyond? 

Honestly, I liked the majority of those players myself also - minus Morata. Crespo was one of my all-time favourite players, and I didn't mind Torres once he arrived (was a prick prior but did like his attitude). Veron though was always a curious case. A fantastic player but just didn't happen for him for a variety of reasons. One of the most technically astute players I've seen.

Yes Torres attitude was fine. I think I picked on him a bit because I predicted he wouldn’t score more than 5 goals in his first season ( and he didn’t I think), so I was a bit smug. But he always tried , as did Crespo. 

5 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

@xceleryx since you reference Serie A so much, would you be interested in joining Napolifcnet? Terms of the deal are you need to cease all your current paid work with Clearlake and Napolifcnet will only offer a 30% reduction in your total post length (to an average of 10 paragraphs).

Just kidding bro 😜 🫡

Why would I want to join a page for the shite from Naples?