Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

1 minute ago, Proud-Blue said:

I think Sancho would be good for us. But for me it only makes sense if we are shipping Sterling and Mudryk. With Sancho and Neto left, Mudryk gets nowhere near the team.

Mudryk has been miles, miles better than Sancho in the EPL - it's night and day

I have perhaps been the biggest critic of "Dudryk" but even he is better than Sancho

1 minute ago, Max Fowler said:

I have perhaps been the biggest critic of "Dudryk" but even he is better than Sancho

I know Sancho has been bad but I doubt he's been that bad. Mudryk is one of the worst players at this level, it's simply impossible that he can be miles better than anybody. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Max Fowler said:

The difference is the level Sancho showed at Dortmund (I've watched them every week for about 12 years) in both the Bundesliga and the Champions League is higher than anything Mudryk has managed. The problems at Man U are well documented, but moving to a club he actually wants to play for will help. He absolutely can do it in the PL, but he needs to be out of Man U to do it.

5 minutes ago, Proud-Blue said:

The difference is the level Sancho showed at Dortmund (I've watched them every week for about 12 years) in both the Bundesliga and the Champions League is higher than anything Mudryk has managed. The problems at Man U are well documented, but moving to a club he actually wants to play for will help. He absolutely can do it in the PL, but he needs to be out of Man U to do it.

I watched a lot of Sancho for Dortmund and he was brilliant. If he gets back to those levels we're onto a winner.

Mudryk hasn't been miles better than anyone in the premier league.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Proud-Blue said:

Did you watch Mudryk before we signed him? Arguably Delli Ali has reached a higher level than both Mudryk and Sancho - does that mean we should sign him too?

2 minutes ago, ShedMiddle said:

I watched a lot of Sancho for Dortmund and he was brilliant. If he gets back to those levels we're onto a winner.

Mudryk hasn't been miles better than anyone in the premier league.

I don’t think you understand how bad and how much of a nuisance Sancho has been for Man United. Not just terrible on the pitch but an off field mess as well. At least mudryk has largely kept himself quiet.

Edited by Max Fowler

1 minute ago, Max Fowler said:

Did you watch Mudryk before we signed him? Arguably Delli Ali has reached a higher level than both Mudryk and Sancho - does that mean we should sign him too?

Mudryk played a few very good games in the CL, and some in the Ukrainian league with a much smaller sample size than Sancho in an inferior league. I honestly don't think they're comparable. A fairer comparison would be with Sterling, and clearly Sterling has done more throughout his career at a higher level. So I understand why some would be sceptical about replacing Sterling with Sancho, but not Mudryk. 

As for Dele Alli, I'm not sure that's a fair comparison either. There's a lot of reasons why his career dropped off, and it obviously makes no sense to approach him. Totally different context.

I'm not saying the transfer is without risk. It clearly is since he's had problems at Man U. I just don't think it's some kind of disaster like so many seem to.

I find it difficult to understand how we can clearly need a new CB and possibly a CF and instead we are seemingly  pouring all our resources into another busted flush winger and trying to get rid of Sterling on the cheap . 

It seems mental to me.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I don’t think you understand how bad and how much of a nuisance Sancho has been for Man United. Not just terrible on the pitch but an off field mess as well. At least mudryk has largely kept himself quiet.

I understand that but, then maybe we can turn that around. He did okay at Dortmund on and off the field. We've had players in the past with attitude issues that have thrived here

9 minutes ago, Proud-Blue said:

Mudryk played a few very good games in the CL, and some in the Ukrainian league with a much smaller sample size than Sancho in an inferior league. I honestly don't think they're comparable. A fairer comparison would be with Sterling, and clearly Sterling has done more throughout his career at a higher level. So I understand why some would be sceptical about replacing Sterling with Sancho, but not Mudryk. 

As for Dele Alli, I'm not sure that's a fair comparison either. There's a lot of reasons why his career dropped off, and it obviously makes no sense to approach him. Totally different context.

I'm not saying the transfer is without risk. It clearly is since he's had problems at Man U. I just don't think it's some kind of disaster like so many seem to.

How is Deli Alli any different? You are literally talking about the two worst attitude players of the last 5-10 seasons in Sancho and Deli Ali, we at least know some of what is causing Deli's problems

5 minutes ago, ShedMiddle said:

I understand that but, then maybe we can turn that around. He did okay at Dortmund on and off the field. We've had players in the past with attitude issues that have thrived here

Like who out of interest?

11 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I find it difficult to understand how we can clearly need a new CB, *a Defensive Midfielder and possibly a CF and instead we are seemingly  pouring all our resources into another busted flush winger and trying to get rid of Sterling on the cheap . 

It seems mental to me.

I've added the defensive midfielder we need. Every game we've played this season has seen the opposition bulldoze their way through our midfield as if it doesn't exist.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thiago97 said:

Alternatively, plan accordingly and make it known in football circles that Sterling is available at the start of the window. You might end up in a scenario where you are not forced into rash decisions on the final day of the window.

It comes back to the whole not my type of winger comment in mid August. Everyone knows Sterling the player, if this is true, we had months to do a deal on him.

Okay, but that's just not practical either because situations are ever changing. A player can be in a managers or clubs plans initially, then their future can change to where they aren't needed. Heck, even if a player is told at the beginning you still need teams to showcase interest, which for a player like Sterling and his wages is going to be challenging. 

11 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

How is Deli Alli any different? You are literally talking about the two worst attitude players of the last 5-10 seasons in Sancho and Deli Ali, we at least know some of what is causing Deli's problems

Yes but I think the context is different as you indicated. Deli Alli had very understandable reasons, Sancho fell out with his manager but also had very few  issues at Dortmund. I don't believe he's a toxic player, especially given he's not the first player to have problems there. And we've other players who apparently had terrible attitudes elsewhere but were good for us (Anelka, even Felix apparnently). I genuinely don't believe those issues get replicated at a team he actually supports. 

I'm getting on a plane so won't be able to respond for a few hours. Maybe we will have signed a whole new squad by the time I land!