Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

59 minutes ago, KingThistle said:

I felt this way when Felix was announced 😞

Totally. Felix is bad enough and for me is never gonna work, We tried it once, and there’s a reason why his value has plummeted off a cliff. But signing Sancho is like you had a nightmare about us signing Felix and it was an exaggerated vision of all the problems inherent in signing Felix but just made worse. Crazily bad recruitment.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

As we've seen with other high earners, and not just here either, they're increasingly harder to shift if they don't perform or end up injury riddled.

The potential to hamstring oneself is greater paying one player 300k pw than it is say two players at 150k. 

You also massively reduce your market because of the gulf in resources between the Premier League and others. There's really only a small handful of teams abroad that could accomodate such high earners, so by having more manageable contracts it helps widen the pool. 

Having seen my share of Osimhen while at Napoli, I wouldn't be comfortable seeing us paying him £290k pw personally and glad we aren't. 

To your last paragraph I hope you are correct. I sincerely hope he’s not one of the best strikers in Europe because my feeling is he’s going to end up at Arsenal in January and that scares the shit out of me. The other question is why ( knowing the highly possible wage problem with Ossi) didn’t we go all guns with Toney? He ticked a lot of boxes and would have fitted our wage structure. 

3 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Totally. Felix is bad enough and for me is never gonna work, We tried it once, and there’s a reason why his value has plummeted off a cliff. But signing Sancho is like you had a nightmare about us signing Felix and it was an exaggerated vision of all the problems inherent in signing Felix but just made worse. Crazily bad recruitment.

A bit early to make these conclusions no?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

And we are paying Arsenal 150k a week for having Sterling. That is more than we were prepared to pay Ossi per week. In what Universe does that make sense? 

In the Universe where we are saving ourselves £175k per week on Sterling’s wages, given that he was not going to play for us. 
Osimhen is unconnected. He didn’t sign because we could not reach an agreement on wages - and that is completely understandable from both parties. From reports, the club and the player both wanted this to happen, but a deal that would have worked, proved too much of a compromise for both sides. I’m glad we retained the wage structure, as that would have caused just as many issues going forwards as Osimhen would have solved. 
I think what we have seen this window is a shift to buy some very good players to try to get us back in the top 4.  If we manage that, it’s likely that CL qualification could attract the right CB GK ST that we all (including the SDs) know we need, at more or less the right wages. 

Dissappointed to see Trevoh go, but a year or 18 months from now, hopefully we will have CB1, Colwill, Fofana, Tosin as our 4 CBs and at that point, I think TC would perhaps drop to 5th choice anyway.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

41 minutes ago, ChelseaJambo said:

All in, I'm actually relatively happy with the squad...it's just our approach to it all that boggles the brain.

This the camp I am in. Looking at our rivals this squad is definitely good enough for Top 4 with a decent manager, and I wasn't expecting a title challenge this year. City don't have a back up to Haaland, Arsenal don't have an out and out Striker either, United have holes in their squad, Spurs and Villa options don't come close to ours, Liverpool and Newcastle haven’t improved their squads much.

The frustration is that we have been wasteful and made weird decisions whereby the squad could actually be much better. We are overstocked at AM. We've signed another keeper that doesn't appear to be much improvement. Some of the incomings are downgrades on their replacements (eg KDH & Veiga). Stockpiling players in the reserves and signing more prospects taking up loan spots. Signing players we probably didn't really want to facilitate sales (eg Kellyman & Felix)

I think everyone here could identify what was needed to improve the team at the start of summer, some signings in key positions. Instead we have spent most of the summer thinking we are smart and fannying about doing the above desperately trying to balance the books, while failing to address key areas.

The squad is not an immediate concern to me right now but the owners are. Their general approach, lack of planning, flip flopping on transfer policy, treatment of people, lack of negotiating skills on commercial and transfer matters, amongst many other things is quite bewildering and concerning. The club is just starting to feel more soulless and commercial, plus winning football competitions does not seem a  priority. I also think they have seriously damaged their investment doing all of this, so like you said - the mind boggles

• Like 2
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, Blue Orca said:

I think we will improve with James back and Fofana having more games. Same applies for Colwill. Cucurella is now quality after a shaky start. Gusto is also quality. Its the keeper I'm worried about. Sanchez is a liability. I would also bring Chillwell back into the squad after an apology. 

We certainly can improve defensively ( hard to go the other way). It’s all a bit “ifs and buts” though. Can James stay fit? Will Fofana improve? Will Chilwell get an apology ( and stay fit). 
And Sanchez is a liability. 
We are in muddy waters again. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

In the Universe where we are saving ourselves £175k per week on Sterling’s wages, given that he was not going to play for us. 
Osimhen is unconnected. He didn’t sign because we could not reach an agreement on wages - and that is completely understandable from both parties. From reports, the club and the player both wanted this to happen, but a deal that would have worked, proved too much of a compromise for both sides. I’m glad we retained the wage structure, as that would have caused just as many issues going forwards as Osimhen would have solved. 
I think what we have seen this window is a shift to buy some very good players to try to get us back in the top 4.  If we manage that, it’s likely that CL qualification could attract the right CB GK ST that we all (including the SDs) know we need, at more or less the right wages. 

Dissappointed to see Trevoh go, but a year or 18 months from now, hopefully we will have CB1, Colwill, Fofana, Tosin as our 4 CBs and at that point, I think TC would perhaps drop to 5th choice anyway.

Well that’s one way of looking at it , (as the fly said as he walked across the mirror) . But another way of viewing it is that we gave our arch rivals Sterling for nothing while paying half his wages! 
The bigger picture for me is this. If we don’t get top 4 again or win trophies  ( through lack of goals) players like Palmer may agitate to leave. Who can blame him. Real Madrid come knocking next season offering to double his 120k a week and what’s the lad going to think. No player of his quality will settle for conference league and crap bonuses. 
No one more than me is hoping that Jackson, Felix and Nkunku start banging them regularly. We are on a wing and a prayer. 

19 minutes ago, Ham said:

A bit early to make these conclusions no?

I mean, I accept that at some point I need to shut up and can’t keep pounding the negativity, but as mentioned before I feel the “too early to judge” mentality will always be available to kick the can down the road. Instead, we have to be willing to make honest judgements now and call a spade a spade. If we signed 8 league one players hopefully we would all be able to condemn in the moment. That’s an exaggerated version of what many of us feel right now.

30 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

To your last paragraph I hope you are correct. I sincerely hope he’s not one of the best strikers in Europe because my feeling is he’s going to end up at Arsenal in January and that scares the shit out of me. The other question is why ( knowing the highly possible wage problem with Ossi) didn’t we go all guns with Toney? He ticked a lot of boxes and would have fitted our wage structure. 

He's a good striker, just not one that's probably worth all the additional side effects that it may have by breaking the wage structure. Also, given our history of big name expensive strikers, the fear of adding to that is real. 

Toney opted for the money it would appear. Not sure how far into discussions we got with him, whether any potential deal was agreed upon or not, but he's no doubt earning more than he'd done here.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

He's a good striker, just not one that's probably worth all the additional side effects that it may have by breaking the wage structure. Also, given our history of big name expensive strikers, the fear of adding to that is real. 

Toney opted for the money it would appear. Not sure how far into discussions we got with him, whether any potential deal was agreed upon or not, but he's no doubt earning more than he'd done here.

But you agree we needed a top striker? Of course we don’t have a crystal ball on how it will work out. We have no idea what Toney would have accepted to go across town because we failed to make an offer.But  the lure of the PL is great. We waffled , hoped Ossi would accept 120k and lost out on both. Not sure how you sugarcoat that. 

11 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

How on gods green earth are we paying half of Sterlings wages so he can play for Arsenal??? 

It does say that there was a wage reduction too, if we've saved 200k a week that is 10m a year which makes it slightly more palatable

Edir - although this is a much better deal for Arsenal who get him for free and on about 150k a week, which is ridiculous

Edited by Lump Of Celery
  • Agree 1

I listened with great interest on ESPN as the great football brain that is Craig Burley , laughed his head off at 8pm , at the suggestion that Sterling would go to Arsenal. “ Not even if all they  have to pay 10k a week will they accept him”. 
Always grateful when Burley makes an idiot of himself. 

2 minutes ago, Blue Orca said:

Kai Havertz, another quality goal for Arsenal. Another Terrible decision by the club. 

Agreed. Yes, he was poor for us at the end but the team was completely dysfunctional. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Sterling do a great job for Arsenal as well.

15 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

How on gods green earth are we paying half of Sterlings wages so he can play for Arsenal??? 

Because "he's not my type of winger" ©️ Maresca (but suspect he's toeing the party line) and the genius's decided this a fortnight before the transfer window was due to finish.

17 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Makes absolutely perfect sense to me. We couldn’t sell because no one wanted to buy. So we loan, reduce his wages and pay half, thereby saving ourselves in the order of £200k per week, starting today. And we still own him, so if he regains form, someone might buy him at some point. I don’t give a **** about what Arsenal do or don’t do.

(The maths, I imagine, goes something roughly like this - previous wage £325k. New wage £250k. Half of that is £125k and that is saving us 200k per week).
It’s better to pay £125k per week for nothing than £325k per week for nothing.

• Like 2