Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

9 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Not necessarily - he might have wanted to leave? 👀💯🩷

I think most of them wanted to leave after seeing the shambles the club has become.

P.s don't cry Matt, we'll keep cheering those morons because it's in our blood.

Keep the faith my friend.

Edited by Blue Kratos
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Not necessarily - he might have wanted to leave? 👀💯🩷

I seem to remember all that rubbish about his best position and not knowing where to play him. Well Arteta knew. Also terrible to sell to a rival, just like this Sterling debacle. 

56 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

But you agree we needed a top striker? Of course we don’t have a crystal ball on how it will work out. We have no idea what Toney would have accepted to go across town because we failed to make an offer.But  the lure of the PL is great. We waffled , hoped Ossi would accept 120k and lost out on both. Not sure how you sugarcoat that. 

Yep. Don’t know how they broke it to Maresca either who apparently asked for players in two key positions: a centre forward and a centre back. I don’t think he was expecting Marc Guiu and Tosin Adarabioyo.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

Makes absolutely perfect sense to me. We couldn’t sell because no one wanted to buy. So we loan, reduce his wages and pay half, thereby saving ourselves in the order of £200k per week, starting today. And we still own him, so if he regains form, someone might buy him at some point. I don’t give a **** about what Arsenal do or don’t do.

(The maths, I imagine, goes something roughly like this - previous wage £325k. New wage £250k. Half of that is £125k and that is saving us 200k per week).
It’s better to pay £125k per week for nothing than £325k per week for nothing.

At the time I was fine with it because it seemed to release some funds at the exact time we were trying to get the deal done with Ossimehn.  Get shot of Sterling, save a bunch of wages and add that to the Ossi deal and get our man. People may say the two aren’t linked but they are. Money going out is money going out. Do we really think we are going to attract the world’s top footballers with a 120k cap??? 
So we are saving 150k a week on Sterlings wages. Whoopee! I won’t be putting out the blue bunting. 

18 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Havertz was on 250k a week, not performing here, was due for renewal and is now on 330k a week. A move made sense at the time for him and the 

I don't think anyone was performing tbh and why sell to our biggest London rival. 

2 hours ago, ROTG said:

back to Harlington for the first team 😀

Would love this, 10 minute drive from me. Dad used to take me to watch in the 90s/early 00s, no security or anything it used to be fully open. He once dropped Mark Hughes off to the airport. I once passed a ball to Stanic which he had kicked away from the session and didn't want it back and he gave me a glare. 

41 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

It’s better to pay £125k per week for nothing than £325k per week for nothing.

It’s not nothing though, and those aren’t the maths. We’ve essentially loaned out sterling so we can get in Felix and Sancho, who are barely upgrades and even downgrades.

And The Guardian is reporting we are paying most of Sancho’s 350k wages 🤯

2 minutes ago, Blue Orca said:

I don't think anyone was performing tbh and why sell to our biggest London rival. 

There are only 2 or 3 teams outside the Prem that can pay those fees, so if they aren't interested you have no choice but to sell to a rival. £65m looked like a good deal at the time and Arsenal took quite a risk on him.  Easy with hindsight to say we shouldn't have sold him, but at the time I think most were happy to sell him and thought the fee was good. Looking at our current MO he would be in the "bomb squad" or on loan at Arsenal for free if we had renewed him anyway.

Also - we replaced with Palmer! I know which I'd rather have

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, BMox81 said:

Good lord the majority of you are insufferable.

Enzo Maresca's first draft of his Palace half time team talk needed some work ...

1 minute ago, Max Fowler said:

It’s not nothing though, and those aren’t the maths. We’ve essentially loaned out sterling so we can get in Felix and Sancho, who are barely upgrades and even downgrades.

Think the Guardian bit is from Jamie Jackson, a United client journalist. I wouldn't take it too seriously (paying even a penny of his wages is affront enough).

2 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I doubt the Guardian know anything especially quoting a utd source. 

4 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

There are only 2 or 3 teams outside the Prem that can pay those fees, so if they aren't interested you have no choice but to sell to a rival. £65m looked like a good deal at the time and Arsenal took quite a risk on him.  Easy with hindsight to say we shouldn't have sold him, but at the time I think most were happy to sell him and thought the fee was good. Looking at our current MO he would be in the "bomb squad" or on loan at Arsenal for free if we had renewed him anyway.

Also - we replaced with Palmer! I know which I'd rather have

It wasn't much of a risk as Havertz was always quality. Some have a short memory on here. 

5 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

So in summary, they didn’t go with the plan i’d have gone with, more fool them, and the plan they did go with is confusing to me and doesn’t feel like we’ve massively strengthened much at all. It feels like we’ve stayed still, but had to pay quite a bit to do it and rock the boat a lot as well.

I think you’ve just summed it up there to be honest, a lot of signings that don’t move the club forward, Neto is an improvement and maybe Sancho if we can get him back to his best, both left wingers. We’re going to regret not managing to bring in a top centre back or a top striker, I take the point that signing a world class keeper was always going to be difficult. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

It's widely reported that we wouldn't break our wage structure to land Osimhen, but we supposedly were willing to do so for Sancho.

Not buying that. Unless 'most of his wages' means 51%.

Edited by Backbiter

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Sterling do a great job for Arsenal as well.

PL games, goals and assists will be an interesting comparison at the end of the season. “Should they both stay fit”

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

It's widely reported that we wouldn't break our wage structure to land Osimhen, but we supposedly were willing to do so for Sancho.

Not buying that. Unless 'most of his wages' means 51%.

I’m not buying that either. 

21 minutes ago, Bigpokey24 said:

Sterling's wages; Arsenal will pay £100K Chelsea will pay £225K He will be playing for Arsenal for the entire season.

Saves £5,000,000+ a year but watch him turn into prime Cron now. 🔧👀🤣🩷

I'm a bit meh about the transfer window. I simply don't see it as the disaster that some people do, but we still have one or two glaring weaknesses that should have been addressed. With the possibility of a transfer ban at some stage soon, that's definitely not good.

It was a mistake to put all our eggs in the Osimhen basket. I'm with those who would have chanced it with Toney. He offers something very different up front and he's a better finisher than Jackson. If not Toney, why not John Duran? We randomly cooled interest in him and he's had a very good start to the season. In fact, as I type this he's just scored again!

I'm also still concerned about our goalkeeping situation, and loaning Ugochukwu might have been premature. I have a feeling we'll be recalling him in January. I personally also feel we've seen the consequences of selling Gallagher. He offered us a level of mobility that we don't get with Enzo or Lavia.

I'm pretty certain they were hoping for more permanent departures, and maybe they underestimated how difficult it would be. Although with them out of the club, hopefully they do well in their loans and they can accrue some value. I have a feeling we'll be selling a few more in January and the next summer.

HOWEVER. I am not all doom and gloom. I think the squad as a whole is very strong and definitely capable of top four.  The squad was already quite strong before the window, and I do think we've improved the attack outside of CF. We also have the bonus of Madueke being on fire! I'm also more confident with the manager so far. Jackson is going to need to have a good season, but both Felix and Nkunku can also play false nine. Maresca's system can work fine with that, and I see enough goals in this team without always having to play an out and out CF. The other thing we haven't mentioned is both Estevao and Paez are looking very good, which is a very exciting prospect for next summer too.

I know many are sceptical about Sancho, and I was a bit sceptical about Felix, but I think there's every chance they prove us wrong. Felix already started quite well.

What we now need is these individual errors to be coached out of the team. That's only really going to happen with more fixtures, and fortunately enough we have plenty of those this year.

Let's see. I think one more big positive is the transfer window is closed and we now know what we're dealing with. We are going to have a period of stability for a few months.  We really need to back Maresca and the players we have now, regardless of any frustrations we may have about the transfer window.

Edited by Proud-Blue
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, ROTG said:

Two managers could not get a tune out of him a ManUre really says it all

Some thoughts after wading through many pages this am,

@ROTG..the above snip from your post..agree but he's not the only player with a "name" the two managers in question could not get a tune out of,,,,I'm not arguing against/for your comment just think we should give the lad a chance.

All the talk of the German league as a place lesser players shine is a bit too glib for me...whatever you think of Big H he came from what league?

Todd and Co....a very complicated situation and one I can't fathom out..over simplify...great clamour back in the early days for them to leave the football decisions to the "experts"..this they did....and got absolute Skodas...not even good all round family vehicles let alone the top of the range models required to support their financial wheeling and dealings.

The wheeling and dealing is alien to us but that doesn't mean it will not work but it needs the football side and the financial side to be compatible and of mutual support.

I can't believe Tood and Co decide on players to be considered for purchase,,they employed experts to identify targets that fit in with the "plan"....the plan may be wrong as many think but to pay a fortune for "expertise" then tell them who to chase seems unlikely..just my take.

I am a bit puzzled at the almost instant filing of Maresca under "yes man"... easy to criticise but hardly his fault,as an example..that the Madueke running riot in Wolverhampton found Geneva to be maybe too nice to get his focus.

To enlarge on my earlier point..the Mudryk "issue", I doubt again it's from the Board but the duo pressurising the coach to prove to the Board that they are infallible,

I hope Felix (and others) gets as much leeway and opportunity to prove himself.

Didn't want Toney period,,my opinion only.

I like Jackson and TSL,,,,not enough to carry the spearhead of any line up through the season,,,Jackson needs to be more consistent and TSL is just 18/19 learning his trade at a high level but still a better option than Broja who even taking into account injuries has had enough chances to show he is not the answer despite early hopes. (That sounds familiar?

Charlatans certainly sums up my view of the dangerous duo link between the Board and the Playing side.

Last note to bang on yet again....last week the Denver Broncos "cut" 37 players from the "squad", that's cut adrift..no transfers , wages etc,,,,,that is the environment the Yanks come from.

We all see the problems different takes on why and how to go forward but across the spectrum the basic issues are agreed on.