Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

2 minutes ago, Bigpokey24 said:

we blew it, we should have gone all out for Osimhen, just look at Halaand . Once chance boom goal. I am really hurt 

FWIW,,his second chance,,,but he misses one and just waits for the next (inevitable) opportunity, no head down.

12 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

But you agree we needed a top striker? Of course we don’t have a crystal ball on how it will work out. We have no idea what Toney would have accepted to go across town because we failed to make an offer.But  the lure of the PL is great. We waffled , hoped Ossi would accept 120k and lost out on both. Not sure how you sugarcoat that. 

Yeah, of course. A striker and a centreback were the two big additions I wanted and it's disappointing it's not happened, but I'd rather us also get the right option over settling or overpaying in desperation. I don't believe both need to be "world class", for me it's more about complimentary profiles and qualities that fit our needs. 

I'm really not interested in seeing us end up in a situation we've seen countless times before, where we've paid up for reputable strikers, given them huge wages, then seen them struggle and take years to offload. I guess that's why I'm not too disappointed about missing out on either Toney or Osimhen, even either would've been nice additions. 

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, Blue Orca said:

Kai Havertz, another quality goal for Arsenal. Another Terrible decision by the club. 

You'd have been comfortable paying him £280k pw to keep him around? Because that's the situation we'd have been in with his contract situation, so I think not.

Jackson still has more goals than him and costs half the price. 

6 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Yeah, of course. A striker and a centreback were the two big additions I wanted and it's disappointing it's not happened, but I'd rather us also get the right option over settling or overpaying in desperation. I don't believe both need to be "world class", for me it's more about complimentary profiles and qualities that fit our needs. 

I'm really not interested in seeing us end up in a situation we've seen countless times before, where we've paid up for reputable strikers, given them huge wages, then seen them struggle and take years to offload. I guess that's why I'm not too disappointed about missing out on either Toney or Osimhen, even either would've been nice additions. 

I think for me Toney wouldn't be that prolific but he would have gone toe to toe with defences and created gaps for the support.

Without that I still see us having trouble with the low block like many seasons prior.

That being said there must have been a legit reason none of the top teams came in for him.

37 minutes ago, Blue Kratos said:

I think for me Toney wouldn't be that prolific but he would have gone toe to toe with defences and created gaps for the support.

Without that I still see us having trouble with the low block like many seasons prior.

That being said there must have been a legit reason none of the top teams came in for him.

Yeah, I feel the same. Which also would've been fine, I'm not necessarily convinced we need a 25-30 a season striker, someone who can get 15* a season would be fine IF they're also providing other qualities that are beneficial to the team and those around them. 

I think it's telling we wanted a proper out and out CF given the options we were linked with. Guys that can put themselves around a little, play with their backs to goal, capable both on the ground and in the air, and also help get others involved. 

*This assumes Jackson continues to provide 15 or so himself. 

8 hours ago, xceleryx said:

I'm really not interested in seeing us end up in a situation we've seen countless times before, where we've paid up for reputable strikers, given them huge wages, then seen them struggle and take years to offload. 

I think you're making up this scenario - I can't remember any reputable striker we've bought who has "taken years to offload"

6 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I think you're making up this scenario - I can't remember any reputable striker we've bought who has "taken years to offload"

We literally just managed to offload that hopeless , treasonous , lump of poison to Napoli after years of paying his wages for no return.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

Shevchenko, Torres and Lukaku. They didn’t produce the goods and we couldn’t shift them so Sheva we loaned out, Torres was made LW and Lukaku has played more for other teams than us during his stay here. 

19 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Shevchenko, Torres and Lukaku. They didn’t produce the goods and we couldn’t shift them so Sheva we loaned out, Torres was made LW and Lukaku has played more for other teams than us during his stay here. 

I don’t think Torres is a good example, not sure Sheva is either. He was what, 30 when he signed? Lukaku only relevant example I forgot and he is such a rogue case you can’t base anything on him. Sancho you can assume is going to be a pain in the arse. Felix a bottlejob. There was nothing to suggest Lukaku was gonna turn out like that.

4 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Maybe you weren't supporting the club back then, but certainly not made up a situation. 

chatter from a friend about our dealing with Napoli 

I was discussing the same issue with the scouting team at Chelsea today and the consensus is that Napoli didn't want to sell him....

His actually words were that Napoli were never serious in their negotiations to sell Osimhen...