Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

I think we should’ve signed that Aston Villa striker, Duran, we were being linked with. Don’t know why we didn’t have him as backup option in case the Osimhen deal fell through. Villa were keen to sell him at one point. Think he’d have been great to compete and even link up with Jackson and looks more an out and out striker than Jackson. 

Enzo Maresca did not get either of the two players he requested from sporting directors

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/enzo-mares ... 00506.html

Jacob Steinberg’s piece on Chelsea’s transfer window released today has some interesting notes.

He claims that manager Enzo Maresca had made specific requests to those signing players for him:

“Chelsea’s new head coach, had asked for two positions to be strengthened before the end of the transfer window. He wanted a centre-back and a top No 9… Late on Friday night, though, the recruitment team had to admit defeat in their attempt to convince [Victor] Osimhen to fit into Chelsea’s stringent wage structure. There was no new centre-back either, although there was still a flurry of activity.
We could have predicted those would be the positions he wanted to be strengthened. In fact, we’re surprised he hasn’t also asked for a goalkeeper and a proper defensive midfielder too. All four of those have been lingered problems for some time, and the sporting directors seeming obsession with signing more wide and creative attacking players is even more strange in the context of those urgent needs.

The piece goes on to detail the push for Victor Osimhen, and how it all fell apart because of the demands of the striker. That’s fair enough – but weren’t those demands pretty predictable? Couldn’t they have been established months ago?
The dust settles after a crazy window
Chelsea have certainly added some good players this summer, but in order to do so they had to sell and loan some very good players too. While the squad is certainly different, it’s hard to say it looks that much better, and it’s still lacking in those key positions.

If our defensive options live up to their potential and Nicolas Jackson keeps improving, we might be ok. But those are big question marks. We can’t imagine Maresca has been filled with confidence in the competence of his superiors now.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

19 minutes ago, Bigpokey24 said:

He needs to play football .  He is  top quality . Wishing him the best and i hope he ends up with us  soon

14 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

I thought he was coming to my club.

Turned out it was my Turkish club.

wouldnt surprise me if it was a loan, as they couldnt afford the fee and wages.

Saves Napoli paying him 300k a week to sit in the stands. 

13 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

its a one year loan.

I dont understand, weren't we also discussing a loan?

yes. but both napoli and the player are now stuck for alternatives. 

this is damage limitation. the player doesn't get stuck in the stands for a season, and Napoli get some of his wages off the books.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

yes. but both napoli and the player are now stuck for alternatives. 

this is damage limitation. the player doesn't get stuck in the stands for a season, and Napoli get some of his wages off the books.

Very annoying for us. Hope we still get a chance again next season, but Saudi will probably be ready for him by then and we won't get a look in.

18 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Very annoying for us. Hope we still get a chance again next season, but Saudi will probably be ready for him by then and we won't get a look in.

The way I see it is that if he wanted to be at Chelsea, he'd be here already.  If he's 24-25 and his options are Saudi or the Turkish league at this point, i'm not sure I see that as a positive. 

And as we've just finally got rid of an incredibly expensive millstone from around our necks, perhaps the Club felt that risking another was a bad idea right now. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

33 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

If he wanted Saudi, he'd be there already. 

3 minutes ago, Bert19 said:

The way I see it is that if he wanted to be at Chelsea, he'd be here already.  If he's 24-25 and his options are Saudi or the Turkish league at this point, i'm not sure I see that as a positive. 

And as we've just finally got rid of an incredibly expensive millstone from around our necks, perhaps the Club felt that risking another was a bad idea right now. 

If we could not make it happen cos of salary over the last 3 months, I struggle to see why we would make it happen next summer.

As you say, if he really wanted the move, he would be here already. His contract will be the same next summer.

So it will require a strategy change from our side. Or it requires something going drastically wrong in Turkey, which is no stronger than Italy, so I can't see him struggling out there. 

Maybe the strategy changes our side if we are sat languishing in mid table come April time.

Victor’s camp confirmed a late approach from Liverpool and they are one of the clubs that plan to come back in January. The claim is that 2 EPL clubs and 2 Serie A clubs will be back in January. The sticky point for the loan confirmation to Turkey is Victor is insisting on a January release clause with a reasonable number. Once that’s agreed, he’s off to Turkey.