Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

5 hours ago, Bigpokey24 said:
Enzo Maresca did not get either of the two players he requested from sporting directors

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/enzo-mares ... 00506.html

Jacob Steinberg’s piece on Chelsea’s transfer window released today has some interesting notes.

He claims that manager Enzo Maresca had made specific requests to those signing players for him:

“Chelsea’s new head coach, had asked for two positions to be strengthened before the end of the transfer window. He wanted a centre-back and a top No 9… Late on Friday night, though, the recruitment team had to admit defeat in their attempt to convince [Victor] Osimhen to fit into Chelsea’s stringent wage structure. There was no new centre-back either, although there was still a flurry of activity.
We could have predicted those would be the positions he wanted to be strengthened. In fact, we’re surprised he hasn’t also asked for a goalkeeper and a proper defensive midfielder too. All four of those have been lingered problems for some time, and the sporting directors seeming obsession with signing more wide and creative attacking players is even more strange in the context of those urgent needs.

The piece goes on to detail the push for Victor Osimhen, and how it all fell apart because of the demands of the striker. That’s fair enough – but weren’t those demands pretty predictable? Couldn’t they have been established months ago?
The dust settles after a crazy window
Chelsea have certainly added some good players this summer, but in order to do so they had to sell and loan some very good players too. While the squad is certainly different, it’s hard to say it looks that much better, and it’s still lacking in those key positions.

If our defensive options live up to their potential and Nicolas Jackson keeps improving, we might be ok. But those are big question marks. We can’t imagine Maresca has been filled with confidence in the competence of his superiors now.

Wow he made requests and they didn't sack him?

Progress.

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Blue Kratos said:

Wow he made requests and they didn't sack him?

Progress.

It's nice to know he knows the problems he faces like we all do. 

Now all we have to do is wait til the penny drops with the procurement department. 

33 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Now all we have to do is wait til the penny drops with the procurement department. 

Hmm..I think they know what was asked of them..just they really have a different idea of what constitutes a top CF/CH...or to save me typing 2 letter positions...or any position😕

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

You’d have to be blind not to see it. I just don’t see how anyone can be as incompetent as the people who buy our players. Their obsession with South American children is starting to worry me. 🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

At some point the Board are going to work out it’s cheaper to buy a decent striker than it is to keep sacking managers who fail to qualify for the CL for want of a striker. 

47 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

At some point the Board are going to work out it’s cheaper to buy a decent striker than it is to keep sacking managers who fail to qualify for the CL for want of a striker. 

Dream on mate..... just because you're right doesn't mean they will ever see that

It's not in their mind set, which has no relationship to "our" game.

"They" employed "experts" to advise them as any realistic business would...I still would like to know how they managed to get conned into the charlatans we have,

The continued purchase of South American child potential stars for  the creche given an optimistic view that in 9/10 years they will make up an all conquering Chelsea is reliant on the fact that Chelsea have top level occupancy,,without the players now how do they expect to remain in the EPL until then?

€23m, so the Summer transfer window is now down to a net outlay of €-40m (at least according to transfermarkt).

Pedro Neto    €60.00m
João Félix   €52.00m
Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall €35.40m
Filip Jørgensen €24.50m
Mike Penders    €20.00m
Aarón Anselmino    €16.50m
Renato Veiga    €14.00m
Caleb Wiley    €10.10m
Marc Guiu    €6.00m
Tosin Free
Jadon Sancho Loan

Total In €238.50m

Ian Maatsen €44.50m
Conor Gallagher    €42.00m
Lewis Hall    €33.00m
Romelu Lukaku   €30.00m
Omari Hutchinson    €23.50m
Ângelo €23.00m
Diego Moreira    €2.00m

Total Out €198.00m

Was that a successful transfer period? No idea.

Edited by Sciatika

So… Anyone thinks this is really true? Another concerted PR stunt by the club? If it is true, Osimhen shouldn’t be here with us. That’s an outrageously good offer for someone who has only done it superb for one season in the Serie A and another three “good” ones. 

Chelsea's last big offer to Victor Osimhen:

Financial Details:

- Base Salary: £200,000 per week
- Signing-on fee: £40 million (one-time payment)
- Total Salary per year: £10.4 million (£200,000/week × 52 weeks)
- Total Contract Value: £52 million (£10.4 million/year × 5 years)

Performance-Based Bonuses:

- Goal bonuses: £100,000 per goal (capped at 30 goals)
- Assist bonuses: £50,000 per assist (capped at 10 assists)
- Win bonuses: £50,000 per win (capped at 25 wins)
- Champions League qualification bonus: £1 million
- Premier League title win bonus: £2 million

Additional Incentives:

- Image rights: £5 million per year
- Commercial endorsements: £2 million per year
- Loyalty bonus: £10 million (paid after 3 years)

Transfer Fee:

- Chelsea offered £80 million (Napoli valued Osimhen at £100 million)

Contract Duration:

- 5 years (2024-2029)

Agent Fees:

- Chelsea agreed to pay £10 million to Osimhen's agent, Roberto Calenda

This offer was reportedly rejected by Osimhen, who opted to stay with Napoli.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, chara said:

Hmm..I think they know what was asked of them..just they really have a different idea of what constitutes a top CF/CH...or to save me typing 2 letter positions...or any position😕

100%

I bet they think Felix and Sancho are “proven players with experience in top leagues and these deals represent getting them at very good price with a lot of resale value and will help mitigate our goalscoring issues”

2 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

So… Anyone thinks this is really true? Another concerted PR stunt by the club? If it is true, Osimhen shouldn’t be here with us. That’s an outrageously good offer for someone who has only done it superb for one season in the Serie A and another three “good” ones. 

Financial Details:

Additional Incentives:

Transfer Fee:

Contract Duration:

- 5 years (2024-2029)

Agent Fees:

Where's this from out of curiosity? Generally not getting this much of a breakdown.

The Athletic article @Max Fowlerposted earlier stated 7 differently structured deals being offered. Would be interesting to compare the others to the quoted, should that indeed be factually accurate. 

16 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Financial Details:

Additional Incentives:

Transfer Fee:

Contract Duration:

- 5 years (2024-2029)

Agent Fees:

So we were going to offer him £40m as a sign in on fee as well as £200,000 per week? That can’t be right. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, blueboy1905 said:

Fairwell Angelo, I'll remember your contributions fondly 🙄

Funnily enough , those pre season games he played for us he looked a great prospect , he outperformed many of the other newbies but was  never to be seen again 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Where's this from out of curiosity? Generally not getting this much of a breakdown.

The Athletic article @Max Fowlerposted earlier stated 7 differently structured deals being offered. Would be interesting to compare the others to the quoted, should that indeed be factually accurate. 

A Facebook post (I know) claiming this is claimed by Daily Mail, Sky Sports, BBC and a host of others. Haven’t been bothered to spend time looking this up though. So it could very well be all bogus. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

So we were going to offer him £40m as a sign in on fee as well as £200,000 per week? That can’t be right. 

I wouldn’t be surprised that is the 120m fee minus 40m to the player and thus the transfer fee landing on 80m to Napoli. 

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Funnily enough , those pre season games he played for us he looked a great prospect , he outperformed many of the other newbies but was  never to be seen again 

He did. This is one of the most frustrating things about this strategy, what fundamental evidence do we have that this lad is not useful in our first team squad ? It was only pre-season, but he looked like a kid who knew the game due to playing first team football since he has 16 years old.

He might have had a shot in the PL and took to it like the proverbial duck to water. We simply don't know.

This is in part why its impossible to have any fan/player dynamic under this ownership. Just a pointless waste of time and effort really, we have not made any significant profit from him, just moved him from one set of accounts to another. 

If a player is not going to be up to the job, at least lets have a look at him and form a judgement based on what he offers.

I just find it frustrating and illogical.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

€23m, so the Summer transfer window is now down to a net outlay of €-40m (at least according to transfermarkt).

Pedro Neto    €60.00m
João Félix   €52.00m
Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall €35.40m
Filip Jørgensen €24.50m
Mike Penders    €20.00m
Aarón Anselmino    €16.50m
Renato Veiga    €14.00m
Caleb Wiley    €10.10m
Marc Guiu    €6.00m
Tosin Free
Jadon Sancho Loan

Total In €238.50m

Ian Maatsen €44.50m
Conor Gallagher    €42.00m
Lewis Hall    €33.00m
Romelu Lukaku   €30.00m
Omari Hutchinson    €23.50m
Ângelo €23.00m
Diego Moreira    €2.00m

Total Out €198.00m

Was that a successful transfer period? No idea.

Looks like running as fast as you can to remain where you are, or even move backwards. Neto and Sancho may improve the first team squad, maybe Jorgensen will be better than Petrovic. Otherwise it's been a whirlwind of movement to decrease the quality of the squad.

24 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

He did. This is one of the most frustrating things about this strategy, what fundamental evidence do we have that this lad is not useful in our first team squad ? It was only pre-season, but he looked like a kid who knew the game due to playing first team football since he has 16 years old.

He might have had a shot in the PL and took to it like the proverbial duck to water. We simply don't know.

This is in part why its impossible to have any fan/player dynamic under this ownership. Just a pointless waste of time and effort really, we have not made any significant profit from him, just moved him from one set of accounts to another. 

If a player is not going to be up to the job, at least lets have a look at him and form a judgement based on what he offers.

I just find it frustrating and illogical.

I understand your perspective, and I agree to a certain extent. However, I assume that the club has evaluated him in more than just a few pre-season games before concluding that he might not be suited for the Premier League. As fans, we only see what happens on the pitch, and in this case, that's limited, but there's much more to consider behind the scenes. Think of how many youth players we've seen have a few appearances and believe they'll be the next great hope, only to see them move on and have a career in a lower league.

The approach the owners are taking does seem, and to some extent is, quite harsh and unemotional in how they’re handling certain players. But ultimately, it’s a business. Whether we like it or not, there’s a certain logic to what they’re doing that makes sense.

To put it simply, if out of every five young players we sign, one becomes good enough for the first team, and we sell three of the remaining four for a profit, this strategy allows us to keep investing in new talent and building up the squad. From an outsider's perspective, it might appear cold and ruthless, and it certainly gives the media and rival fans ammunition to criticise us. But I don’t think that concerns the owners. They have a strategy they believe in, and while I’m not entirely comfortable with it, I can see how it could be effective. What we're doing is done by many clubs, we're just doing it on a much larger scale at the moment.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

Looks like running as fast as you can to remain where you are, or even move backwards. Neto and Sancho may improve the first team squad, maybe Jorgensen will be better than Petrovic. Otherwise it's been a whirlwind of movement to decrease the quality of the squad.

I doubt that the quality of a squad can be assessed in isolation because so much of it is down to what you do with them. Only in retrospect, by looking at results, can we truly know. As I said, I have no idea if it is a good transfer window or not. We should have a better idea by Xmas,