Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

Agree, VAR has taken away so much of the joy from the sport. I could accept it if the technology had come in to replace human error, but it’s just opened up the errors* to be made by more humans. The sheer joy and ecstasy of watching your team scoring a goal has been replaced by an initial moment of excitement and then a dreaded wait for whether some guy sat somewhere else has managed to find a view of an incident that means he’s able to rule the goal out… that’s not sport and it’s certainly not football. I think more decisions get debated now than they did before VAR.

Goal line technology is fine, in fact it’s great because it’s technology that works 99.9% of the time that has replaced the need for the decision to be made by a human. These decisions never get debated or cause players to surround the ref, because it’s accepted that the decision made by the technology is correct.

For me, VAR is one of several nails that have gone in the coffin, my love for the game is far from what it used to be. I’m sure that’s also down to my age, the amount of other far more important things in my life, but it used to be such a simple game to watch and enjoy or even just sitting in my bedroom as a kid waiting for the ceefax page to reload to see if we’d scored! 

*Whether some of the decisions are errors or manipulated decisions is another debate,

• Love 1
  • Agree 2

I’d far far rather sing “who’s the bastard in the black” or “the referees a wanker” than feck up a justified orgasm at a dubious goal because VAR says the scorer was a hair offside. Come on, you all would too, right? Or are you all so fecking sanctimonious that you prefer regulatory righteousness to a great game?

• Agree 4

VAR the tip of the iceberg....of all the "changes" over the years it is the most contentious.

How many of the "official" game changes have actually made any difference?,,the stoppage if the ball hits the ref,,was always annoying but taken as part of the game,,now stops the flow...the goal kick adjustments...really pointless and doesn't speed up the game,,again slows it down mostly,,,change of ko ?..why?...does nothing. Then we have the PGlot and their ever changing directives on how the rules should be interpreted, No wonder VAR is looked at with suspicion..goal line tech the only success as far as I can see,,could it be extended to all the outside lines?

• Like 3

14 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

I have a few revolutionary ideas which might just stop our keepers being caught in possession when under pressure.

How about instructing  our players not to pass to the keeper in potentially dangerous situations? How about our keepers picking the ball up in the area when there's any danger lurking, or just booting it long instead of thinking they are KDB? After all, that worked well enough for well over 100 years in football. 

Never going to happen, this is how modern football is played and not just at the top level - it's evident at grassroots level with kids no older than 10 being coached in such a manner also.

The ability to use your keeper as an outlet, and thus an extra man, helps to shift the opposition and create space. With ball retention such a big part if football these days, and the ability to generate attacking phases of play if done effectively, it's an attractive approach for teams that want to keep the ball. Pressing football hasn't helped this either.

Don't disagree with the general consensus though, I don't enjoy the style of football we see now over what we had in the 2000's for example.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Bigpokey24 said:

Very interesting perspective. It sounds like he really wants to be here. Not wanted to be here “wants “ to be here.  Both Didier and Mikel have convinced him the Chelsea is the club . It was little details that couldn’t be ironed out in time. That is frustrating because we can all tell the time. However, if he really does want to play for us then that is half the battle.  This is definitely on the back burner ….maybe January maybe the summer. And the dick head agent is gone. 

• Like 1

On 08/09/2024 at 03:26, xceleryx said:

Never going to happen, this is how modern football is played and not just at the top level - it's evident at grassroots level with kids no older than 10 being coached in such a manner also.

Someone posted a clip the other day from a kids match and they were playing it out from the back and trying to knock the ball about like Man City, you’re right it’s just the way football is right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Floyd25 said:

Don’t worry, I’m sure having multiple players forced to train with the youth squad will work out fine. 

They want to sign every young player around but don't have a plan for most of them. 

Why is he out of Maresca's squad but an inferior player like Guiu in it? Who is making these decisions? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Floyd25 said:

Someone posted a clip the other day from a kids match and they were playing it out from the back and trying to knock the ball about like Man City, you’re right it’s just the way football is right now. 

I saw this interesting article yesterday which backs that up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/extra/7ruba7shs4/the-slow-death-of-the-screamer

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dale86 said:

I saw this interesting article yesterday which backs that up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/extra/7ruba7shs4/the-slow-death-of-the-screamer

"The Screamer",,,as an OG with a limited vocabulary, especially, regarding Football, according to Mrs C ,the long past, top of the repeat list game  "comment"  "F'ing Torres" has been replaced by "Hit the F'ing thing."

🤠🚀

Edited by chara
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, chara said:

"The Screamer",,,as an OG with a limited vocabulary, especially, regarding Football, according to Mrs C ,the long past, top of the repeat list game  "comment"  "F'ing Torres" has been replaced by "Hit the F'ing thing."

🤠🚀

It does get that way sometimes, you see someone 25 yards out with a bit of space and wonder why they don’t just put their laces through it!

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Dale86 said:

It does get that way sometimes, you see someone 25 yards out with a bit of space and wonder why they don’t just put their laces through it!

Simple really,,it would mean "Loss Of Possessions, the most heinous act a player can perform and who knows how unbearable the scorn and ridicule from the Coach must be.

🤠

5 hours ago, paulw66 said:

I don't condone that either, BTW.

Maybe I have misinterpreted what you have written 

it is not acceptable to call a player the Spanish poodle 

however name calling and inappropriate references of education, race, religion and general opinions are acceptable?

Edited by ROTG

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

Maybe I have misinterpreted what you have written 

it is not acceptable to call a player the Spanish poodle 

however name calling and inappropriate references of education, race, religion and general opinions are acceptable?

Nobody said calling Cucurella "the Spanish poodle" was inappropriate. 

They said it was childish, along with all of the other names you have for players and owners. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Ham said:

Nobody said calling Cucurella "the Spanish poodle" was inappropriate. 

They said it was childish, along with all of the other names you have for players and owners. 

I always pegged him as the illegitimate bastard love child of Slash from Guns N Roses.