Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

2 hours ago, RDCW said:

A loan would be good, I'm not quite prepared to sell just yet. 

I don't know, there's just a certain x-factor he's shown glimpses of that make me want to hang onto him a little longer, in the hope that getting some regular football into him elsewhere with less pressure will be of benefit to his development. 

5 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Got injured and then everything went south from there since. A shame, because he was genuinely good when first arriving and even back in France - where he was highly touted for several years prior. 

I think Pochettino caused him to take huge steps backwards tbh. 

When Badiashile arrived,  he looked a bit inexperienced, but seemed to be smart enough to play simple, execute the basics pretty well and do what Thiago Silva told him to do.  And he clearly benefitted from it. 

Last season the back four often changed multiple times during games, he never had settled partnerships around him and looked very much like he was consistently being asked to do things he knew he's not good at and would be exposed for doing and his confidence looked shattered by about halfway through the season.  

I hope he can put that behind him now though - because he's not even in the same league to what we need at the moment. 

1 minute ago, xceleryx said:

A loan would be good, I'm not quite prepared to sell just yet. 

I don't know, there's just a certain x-factor he's shown glimpses of that make me want to hang onto him a little longer, in the hope that getting some regular football into him elsewhere with less pressure will be of benefit to his development. 

More and more I think Mudryk's move to the Premier League was about 2-3 years too early.  Especially for that price tag.  He should probably have been a £25m player going to Ajax, Lyon or Leipzig at the time we bought him and now it feels he's been a bit left behind the curve in terms of the rest of the squad.  

I quite like the lad, he seems pretty honest about what he's trying to do and the weight of what's going on at home must be huge on him, but we need him to be at a much more consistent higher level.  I agree that there's something about him and i'd like him to do well here, but it's hard to see how he'd recover his spot if he goes out on loan.  And if that loan doesn't go well, he's totally done as a serious prospect or transfer fee. 

Maybe a sale with a buyback or decent sell on % is the best scenario now? 

• Like 2

If we can, I'd sell Mudryk with a buy-back clause inserted rather than loan him out. As @Bert19 said, if we loan him out and he flops, then we'll struggle to sell him, whereas if we sell him with a buy-back clause, we at least give ourselves a chance of bringing him back should he somehow develop into the player we obviously hoped he would be. I also think, for the benefit of his career, he needs to drop down a level and get some regular game time to show what he can do and find the right level for himself to have a good solid career.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Blue Kratos said:

Hope Badiashile and Disasi follow suit.

I think Disasi has shown enough since being here to be a solid backup option. He's probably 4th choice at the moment, so if he's happy to fill that role in the squad then I'd keep him, at least until we've upgraded the CB unit as a whole. Just don't play him at RB.

Badiashile, he needs to go, no idea what happened to him, but after that injury he had he has been shockingly bad. Such a shame, he looked like a quality CB in those early days, but he's beyond a liability at this point.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ROTG said:

While Laurence Stewart is at the club they will be going nowhere 

Literally no proof that is the case, but feel free to carry on with this slightly strange narrative. 

Disasi's been here a year, Badiashile 18 months.  There's very little to suggest one or both won't be sold if the Manager, Board and/or SDs aren't impressed by what they see in the coming weeks and months. 

18 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

If we can, I'd sell Mudryk with a buy-back clause inserted rather than loan him out. As @Bert19 said, if we loan him out and he flops, then we'll struggle to sell him, whereas if we sell him with a buy-back clause, we at least give ourselves a chance of bringing him back should he somehow develop into the player we obviously hoped he would be. I also think, for the benefit of his career, he needs to drop down a level and get some regular game time to show what he can do and find the right level for himself to have a good solid career.

Always that tantalising glimpse of what he might be,,,but how long do we wait? Every lost game of his means Chelsea have been "understaffed" and that may or may not affect the result.

Maybe an unpopular opinion but I can see Madueke as a similar, not the same, issue.

Looks absolutely brilliant at times but those moments taken against 90 minutes on a pitch sometimes look to me as cameos not full game involvements,

At Wolves he looked amazing but Cole's laser like assists set him up,,,not taking away anything from great goals but players are needed for the whole (and every) game.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, chara said:

Always that tantalising glimpse of what he might be,,,but how long do we wait? Every lost game of his means Chelsea have been "understaffed" and that may or may not affect the result.

Maybe an unpopular opinion but I can see Madueke as a similar, not the same, issue.

Looks absolutely brilliant at times but those moments taken against 90 minutes on a pitch sometimes look to me as cameos not full game involvements,

At Wolves he looked amazing but Cole's laser like assists set him up,,,not taking away anything from great goals but players are needed for the whole (and every) game.

Very good points @chara Madueke seems to just show it.. More though.  

Like he has more strings to his bow, more ability to be physical, get his body between man & ball, bit more spikiness about him.  Also has a sledgehammer of a shot on both feet too.  I quite like that.  

Mudryk's thing is his pace and though I maintain it's not always been his fault that he hasn't made the impact we all want, it feels like as an all-round player Madueke is ahead of him and shows more clear upside despite the inconsistency of a young winger in a young, inconsistent side. 

• Agree 2

@Bert19,,,Had to cut short the earlier post so didn't get down exactly what I was trying to say,

Agree with you, not a direct comparison between the two, Madueke is ahead of him and your analysis is correct.

It's the inconsistency that bothers me,,,acceptable up to a point and certainly at the moment but how long did we wait for RLC/CHO (injury issues acknowledged),,the clock is ticking for him and despite all the finger pointing at the Coach I do think he has that ruthless (realistic)streak all good coaches do and the good moments for Madueke will only carry him through the less productive games for so long.,time will tell.

• Agree 1

Financially, what does the loss look like on the books should be sell Mudryk? I can only assume "rather large" is the answer. A rather expensive punt although I don't know what the salary looks like as I'm rather preoccupied by the £80m price tag. Perhaps it's one to mitigate the financial exposure because he just doesn't look like he'll ever get to where we may have hoped. 

6 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

I think the £80m was the fee with add-ons but still - very expensive

Also, those add-ons were winning the PL and the CL, so if he ever triggers them, who cares what he cost?

I was under the impression that the fee was £62m. 2 years amortisation is roughly £14.5m, so he currently "owes" us £47.5m.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

Also, those add-ons were winning the PL and the CL, so if he ever triggers them, who cares what he cost?

I was under the impression that the fee was £62m. 2 years amortisation is roughly £14.5m, so he currently "owes" us £47.5m.

Considering we won't win either of those well, I care actually - massive overspend and financial waste on a player in a position we didn't need at the time which we'll have our arse handed to us if we keep or sell regardless.

1 hour ago, KingThistle said:

Considering we won't win either of those well, I care actually - massive overspend and financial waste on a player in a position we didn't need at the time which we'll have our arse handed to us if we keep or sell regardless.

Not as if it's the first time or the last. It's a lot of money, but it's not £88m or £90m or £100m that the press would have everyone believe.

I like him. I want him to succeed. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

Not as if it's the first time or the last. It's a lot of money, but it's not £88m or £90m or £100m that the press would have everyone believe.

I like him. I want him to succeed. 

Sad, but true. Although I don't care for what the press ever say; good or bad.

He's not unlikeable, I didn't want him to fail - but neither made him someone to stick with as the ceiling is obviously quite low. Take Sancho for example; less than a year older but the difference in how high he could go is staggering. Even in Sancho's darker United times, you know there are gears and levels. Mudryk might just be a good player, and that's where it ends. 

• Agree 1

Only clause I'd be interested in including in a Mudryk sale would be one forbidding him from ever setting foot in Cobham again. Nothing personal against him, he tries, but he's years behind players the same age in terms of development. If it ever happens for him, it won't be in a timescale that works for us. Stupid deal to have ever made and no way of coming out of it with the damage meaningfully limited.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Bert19 said:

Literally no proof that is the case, but feel free to carry on with this slightly strange narrative. 

Disasi's been here a year, Badiashile 18 months.  There's very little to suggest one or both won't be sold if the Manager, Board and/or SDs aren't impressed by what they see in the coming weeks and months. 

Hey Bert, 

Laurence Stewart was a technical dude at Monaco when Disasi and Badiashile were the CB pairing and responsible for spending in excess of £80m on the pair to bring them to Chelsea. 

They will not be going anywhere unless someone offers more than the club paid for them, which is wishful thinking. 

Edited by ROTG

7 minutes ago, ROTG said:

They will not be going anywhere unless someone offers more than the club paid for them, which is wishful thinking. 

We're not overly blessed (putting it kindly) with defensive quality. I can't see them being sold either but possibly not for the reasons you indicate. I think we're stuck with them as there is no one else or anyone available. The Tosin experience will be interesting as I thought he may dislodge Badiashile permanently, but that's like replacing one soggy sock with another on the face of it so far.

No one knows what the best back 4 of 5 is so I reckon while that is all in flux, they'll be around a wee while longer.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, KingThistle said:

No one knows what the best back 4 of 5 is so I reckon while that is all in flux, they'll be around a wee while longer.

They are here for the long haul, like their contracts. 😳

Ever the optimist I'm reserving transfer conclusions until the January window.

Some intriguing questions...the main one for me is will The Coach prevail and having got a message (Not THE) message across to the squad and The Powers actually get rid of some passengers and some solid defenders arrive ? (Or nothing worthwhile happen)

The forever issue though is who is out there available and worth bringing in