Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

2 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Kovacic update. Does this count to our FFP?
[SNIP]

All sales (+ savings on wages) count toward FFP. Unlike player purchases, which are amortized over the length of the contract, the  whole amount of the sale goes into the "income" column as one lump sum.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Tbh, I couldn't care less. It's not a great bit of business imo - it weakens us, and strengthens them (and they don't need any strengthening!).

Kovacic has been injured for large parts of the last two seasons and whenever he returns he’s never quite fit. An underrated player when he’s at his best but I’m really not sure we can justify giving him a new contract given his recent output.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Kovacic has been injured for large parts of the last two seasons and whenever he returns he’s never quite fit. An underrated player when he’s at his best but I’m really not sure we can justify giving him a new contract given his recent output.

Jorginho was sold in January. For all the talk of discussions around a new contract for Kanté earlier in the year, nothing really came of those discussions. Kovacic has one year left on his contract. All the stories are that no discussions have taken place regarding a new contract.

I think it's fairly clear that a decision has been made - with the approval of the owners - that our "starting" midfield of the last few years is to be revamped in its entirety.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

He's an excellent player when injury free. He has a year left on his contract - we don't need to buy him. I'm not talking about giving him a new contract, although City don't seem to mind..

9 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Don't really rate either too highly , Emerson was decidedly mediocre for us and was roundly lambasted for it on many an occasion 

and he scored for West Ham against us.

Never rated him much either to be honest, an average back up player at best, had a couple good moments here and there. 

Wish Kovacic the best, will be a good squad player for City and gets to lift the premier league title end of next season. 

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

I think it's fairly clear that a decision has been made - with the approval of the owners - that our "starting" midfield of the last few years is to be revamped in its entirety.

The problem Bob is all the players needed to rebuild a midfield want and are probably playing European football. 

The near term future is probably not as bright as some are painting on here, including TOCWS. 

8 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

I’m sure we do the same. In fact all clubs do I reckon. And I really dislike the dippers and Klopp.

When you look at it. Smart business and executed with stealth and precision.

2 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Which realistically should've been done after winning the Champions League, a couple seasons too late but it's at least being done now which I'm all for. All three of Jorginho, Kante and Kova were good individual players but not necessarily the most complimentary trio. Hopefully the new looked midfield once its assembled has a more balanced and cohesive look to it. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, xceleryx said:

the new looked midfield once its assembled has a more balanced and cohesive look to it. 

won't be worth anything because no experience and a lower level than released - Look at chitty, dippers, Madrid, Bayern  - they don't buy potential for the starting 11, they buy proven top dollar players

Maybe you will be happy with the teams form of winning a couple, losing a couple, drawing a couple of games without being a potent force in the PL and Europe as long as its easy on the eye football.

Edited by ROTG
  • Agree 1

Sad to see Kova go. I love watching him play when he is fit and in form. His form has dropped off like many this season.

I think it’s probably the right call though and he seems to want to move on. The midfield does need a complete rebuild. I wish him well and will go down as one of my favourite Chelsea players to watch over the last 30 years . 

6 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

This ‘clearing-out’ method would fit with what the new owners have done thus far with the non-playing staff.

It’s fine and dandy doing this if you’ve a strong core to build around, they’re trying to do it around two injury prone full-backs and possibly a 38 year-old centre-half. As I’ve said on here before, there’s a long journey ahead for us, as fans we have to trust that the owners and their appointed staff know where the destination is,  can pick the right vehicles for the task and have the sense to get us back on course when we lose our way.

Personally speaking I’m not sure that they do, but we’ll see.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

won't be worth anything because no experience and a lower level than released - Look at chitty, dippers, Madrid, Bayern  - they don't buy potential for the starting 11, they buy proven top dollar players

Maybe you will be happy with the teams form of winning a couple, losing a couple, drawing a couple of games without being a potent force in the PL and Europe as long as its easy on the eye football.

This, this, and this.

I’d still be delighted if we got Caicedo. Rice would be incredible too. And ordinarily I’d be excited about Lavia.

But these lads, especially Lavia, should be complementing the more senior options who we are apparently not replacing.

1 minute ago, east lower said:

This ‘clearing-out’ method would fit with what the new owners have done thus far with the non-playing staff.

It’s fine and dandy doing this if you’ve a strong core to build around, they’re trying to do it around two injury prone full-backs and possibly a 38 year-old centre-half. As I’ve said on here before, there’s a long journey ahead for us, as fans we have to trust that the owners and their appointed staff know where the destination is,  can pick the right vehicles for the task and have the sense to get us back on course when we lose our way.

Personally speaking I’m not sure that they do, but we’ll see.

Bang on.

We’re basically having to trust that we can entirely replace our CL-winning squad with the U21s our owners have picked out given their track record of buying the youngsters that got us precisely where last season?

No one seems to be able to say exactly what Kova does during a game to actually influence it. A few super goals, sure. Technically - very good, too.

But how many assists? Meaningful contributions?

How many matches has Kova dominated in the way other, past midfielders have?

Just curious because it just seems to me like one of those “rate him because he’s a cool guy” things. Sorry, but I just don’t get it. 

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

No one seems to be able to say exactly what Kova does during a game to actually influence it. A few super goals, sure. Technically - very good, too.

Just curious because it just seems to me like one of those “rate him because he’s a cool guy” things. Sorry, but I just don’t get it. 

I see this argument time and time again . People want the same answer to this type of question. So I’ll put another question to you . If he does nothing of consequence, why has he won so many trophies ? Why does his CV read Inter Milan , Real Madrid, Chelsea and soon to be Man City ?

Why has he played in huge international matches at the business end of major tournaments ? 
What makes these huge European clubs and successful managers want him ? Ahead of your view that he doesn’t really do anything influential ?

I suggest your asking the wrong questions. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Technically brilliant. Runs a ton and superb at winning the ball back. Progresses the ball through midfield with his driving runs and passes with the discipline to execute tactics to a tee (positioning, distribution) - under Tuchel and hence why Guardiola wants him. Importantly, the right character and gives absolutely everything for the team: 

Tuchel: "I could wake the guy at 3 at night and he will be at Cobham at 3.15 ready to give everything."

‘He looks like a wonderkid in training in some exercises. 

‘A lovely guy, a humble guy, he's so happy to train and deliver for the team. It's a true pleasure.

‘Even at Real Madrid, I was aware of his talent, and I felt there was a next step coming,’ he added. ‘I'm very happy that he's my player and plays a lot this season. He is crucial to us on the pitch and off the pitch in the way he behaves.'

Edited by Max Fowler
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Technically brilliant. Runs a ton and superb at winning the ball back. Progresses the ball through midfield with his driving runs and passes with the discipline to execute tactics to a tee (positioning, distribution) - under Tuchel and hence why Guardiola wants him. Importantly, the right character and gives absolutely everything for the team: 

Tuchel: "I could wake the guy at 3 at night and he will be at Cobham at 3.15 ready to give everything."

‘A lovely guy, a humble guy, he's so happy to train and deliver for the team. It's a true pleasure.

‘Even at Real Madrid, I was aware of his talent, and I felt there was a next step coming,’ he added. ‘I'm very happy that he's my player and plays a lot this season. He is crucial to us on the pitch and off the pitch in the way he behaves.'

Showing up for training is one thing, showing up for a match is different (and more important).

Has he, lately?

2 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

Showing up for training is one thing, showing up for a match is different (and more important).

Has he, lately?

Who did last season after the owners appointed a nobody coach?

Edited by ROTG
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

20 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

Has he, lately?

19 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Who did last season after the owners appointed a nobody coach?

My biggest criticism of him is that as a "senior" player you'd expect him to have offered a bit more when the chips were down last season , we kept hearing after many a duff Chelsea appearance that he was "carrying an injury" , he then went off to the World Cup , run himself into the ground for his country without any hint of injury , came back to Chelsea , was once more dreadful and once more we were briefed that he was carrying an injury . Having such a debilitating injury , one that caused him to do the bare minimum in a Chelsea shirt he'd be having some kind of operation this close season to rectify things but no , he's off to City where he's likely to fly through the medical.

I originally thought he was a superb player as he's impossible to shrug off the ball , hard working and pops up with some great goals and makes some excellent passes but for me once Tuchel was gone he clearly stopped giving it his all for the Chelsea cause , he'll do well at City because he's got all the attributes that they look for but for me he stepped down when he should have stepped up.

• Agree 3

24 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

My biggest criticism of him is that as a "senior" player you'd expect him to have offered a bit more when the chips were down last season , we kept hearing after many a duff Chelsea appearance that he was "carrying an injury" , he then went off to the World Cup , run himself into the ground for his country without any hint of injury , came back to Chelsea , was once more dreadful and once more we were briefed that he was carrying an injury . Having such a debilitating injury , one that caused him to do the bare minimum in a Chelsea shirt he'd be having some kind of operation this close season to rectify things but no , he's off to City where he's likely to fly through the medical.

I originally thought he was a superb player as he's impossible to shrug off the ball , hard working and pops up with some great goals and makes some excellent passes but for me once Tuchel was gone he clearly stopped giving it his all for the Chelsea cause , he'll do well at City because he's got all the attributes that they look for but for me he stepped down when he should have stepped up.

Look Mark, and apparently nearly everyone on the forum. Time after time now I am seeing arguments being made about senior players who somehow didn't take responsibility last season. 

A critical error is being made here - the problem is not the senior pros but the near impossible environment Boehly created which is forcing nearly every one of them to want to leave.

Thiago Silva gave everything? Ok but even he looked shaky at times and it is far easier to impose yourself in defence when not playing well - all you need to do is put your body on the line.

Midfielders, strikers, they have more responsibility in linking up, keeping the ball and connecting with teammates to score, as well as defend. How can you do that when you have so many players you can't even fill the dressing room?

Potter himself warned against getting more players in in January but wasn't strong enough to stand up to Boehly. Why did we sign Madueke, Fofana, Madueke - even Felix, rather than really plug the gaps that we needed with 1 or 2 of the right signings?

You are underestimating how hard it was to perform last season under these conditions. Fine - you could say "all professionals footballers are soft these days" but good luck finding better pros than Sterling, Mount and Kovacic in 2023.

Sometimes what looks like bad body language is actually despair at not knowing what to do on the pitch, having no strategy comiong from management, players around who are all shot for confidence and youngsters who have just joined for enormous fees.

Point is - we need more experienced pros next season - not less because they somehow didn't turn up last season. There's a reason the top clubs want these guys and there's apparently also a reason why they want to leave Chelsea - it's become toxic.

So if you have any suggestions about who would be a better pro than Kovacic in filling the midfield, good luck - because I can't think of anyone. And if Boehly seriously thinks a midfield of Lavia and Enzo is going to get CL football next season..... all I can say is LOL.

Edited by Max Fowler

8 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Look Mark, and apparently nearly everyone on the forum. Time after time now I am seeing arguments being made about senior players who somehow didn't take responsibility last season. 

Snipped for brevity .

It's a nice reply Max but none of it is relevant to what I said. 

8 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Jorginho was sold in January. For all the talk of discussions around a new contract for Kanté earlier in the year, nothing really came of those discussions. Kovacic has one year left on his contract. All the stories are that no discussions have taken place regarding a new contract.

I've said it before but replacing our entire senior midfield of Mount, Jorginho, Kante, Kova and RLC in a matter of months is crazy risky, particularly when our main targets of Rice and Caicedo have much better options out there right now. 

The only thing I'm clinging to is that the recruitment team in place MUST have some kind of assurances from some players and some kind of plan otherwise we're royally screwed.