Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

Had a quick Google and couldn't see an answer, may have missed the obvious. When does pre-season start? This year more than any other, I think we really need to have a settled squad (or as close as we can get) by then. New coach, huge overhaul in players, coming off an awful season ... That time will really be needed.

1 minute ago, thevelourfog said:

Had a quick Google and couldn't see an answer, may have missed the obvious. When does pre-season start? This year more than any other, I think we really need to have a settled squad (or as close as we can get) by then. New coach, huge overhaul in players, coming off an awful season ... That time will really be needed.

I think we start July 1st and our first pre season game is July 19th 

1st July, I think. Contracts that end this summer do so on 30th June. Players get a holiday and come back on same day Poch starts. Wrexham is the 19th of July allowing two weeks to get over the worst bit. 

8 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think we start July 1st and our first pre season game is July 19th 

Think you'd be wanting most, if not all, incomings done for that first game at the latest. Obviously will not happen, but it is what needs to be aimed for, no deliberate brinkmanship. 

3 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Think you'd be wanting most, if not all, incomings done for that first game at the latest. Obviously will not happen, but it is what needs to be aimed for, no deliberate brinkmanship. 

Couldn't agree more. This should be the busiest month the club has had in 15 years to get everything in place for pre-season, from all aspects, not just transfers.  Ok if, for FPP reasons, any new signings outside of Gusto and Nkunku aren't presented/announced/signed/registered etc until July. Same for outgoings.  If we start pre-season with a squad that still includes Kova, Pulisic, Ziyech and whoever else is geared for an exit, the club has already dropped the ball.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, DannyLB said:

Couldn't agree more. This should be the busiest month the club has had in 15 years to get everything in place for pre-season, from all aspects, not just transfers.  Ok if, for FPP reasons, any new signings outside of Gusto and Nkunku aren't presented/announced/signed/registered etc until July. Same for outgoings.  If we start pre-season with a squad that still includes Kova, Pulisic, Ziyech and whoever else is geared for an exit, the club has already dropped the ball.

The problem with this is the Non UK transfer window also opens on the 1st of July so , even though I'm sure a lot of the prep has already been done there is bound to be some overlap which is beyond the control of the board.

27 minutes ago, DannyLB said:

And at if they are still around, they should not be included in the group that will be going into the season ahead.  

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

The problem with this is the Non UK transfer window also opens on the 1st of July so , even though I'm sure a lot of the prep has already been done there is bound to be some overlap which is beyond the control of the board.

Correct MK, however it does not stop the club agreeing a fee with another club and allowing the player to agree personal terms. Then instructing the player not to turn up to pre-season training. 

dread the thought of Ziyech, pulisc or lukaku actually training and looking a better option than the January recruits/replacements in front of the new coach. 

Edited by ROTG

1 hour ago, Holymoly said:

Personally I would like to see a midfield that shores up the defense, contributes goals and isnt as injury prone as Kante. 

Makelele, Essien/Ballack and Lampard.

We were spoilt. 

It would be nice if our midfield did even one of those things you list.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

IMO we really should have hired Poch as soon as he was the preferred candidate - before the end of the season instead of delaying until 1st July. So much to do - surely he has had enough time to relax and didn't need to manage at Soccer Aid. 

Not blaming Poch at all there, but we dilly dallied last summer too and all signs are pointing to us being too slow out of the blocks again. I know it's early but I am just far from convinced we'll get the business done quick enough to have a smooth pre-season.  

You say bang on but the truth is every single one of those players was the object of criticism over the last two years:

Kante - "Ticking time bomb, never fit for more than one game at a time then injured again"

Jorginho - "Slows the attack, can't defend, never scores"

RLC - "How many chances are we going to give this guy"

Kovacic - "Never directs a game, always passing sideways, never scores"

Mount - The poor guy was the subject of permanent criticism over the last 18 months from certain people on this forum.

Given the level of support they were given by the supporters when they played you've got to suppose that the decisions to move them on will have been greeted with joy in many quarters. Disposing of all of them may smack of throwing the baby out with the bathwater to some but I doubt we would be able to agree on which to keep hold of.

Personally I would like to see a midfield that shores up the defense, contributes goals and isnt as injury prone as Kante. I think Mount would come good but if he's set on leaving too then I'm not going to plead with him.

My issue isn't who is leaving, it's that in the premier league it's reckless to get rid of all of them at once. 

For the record I was a supporter of all but Jorginho although I recognised what he gave us.  

You say bang on but the truth is every single one of those players was the object of criticism over the last two years:

Kante - "Ticking time bomb, never fit for more than one game at a time then injured again"

Jorginho - "Slows the attack, can't defend, never scores"

RLC - "How many chances are we going to give this guy"

Kovacic - "Never directs a game, always passing sideways, never scores"

Mount - The poor guy was the subject of permanent criticism over the last 18 months from certain people on this forum.

Given the level of support they were given by the supporters when they played you've got to suppose that the decisions to move them on will have been greeted with joy in many quarters. Disposing of all of them may smack of throwing the baby out with the bathwater to some but I doubt we would be able to agree on which to keep hold of.

Personally I would like to see a midfield that shores up the defense, contributes goals and isnt as injury prone as Kante. I think Mount would come good but if he's set on leaving too then I'm not going to plead with him.

Thing is Mr. Moly, or can I call you Holy?

The situation has changed - we have decided to blow all our cash on a load of youngsters and now experience is needed more than ever. Could we transition away from all of the above players + Pulisic, Ziyech, Auba, Havertz etc.? 

Yes absolutely, but not all at once - unless we replace them with some players with experience. 

Personally if Kovacic wanted to stay I would 100% keep him but he wants to leave because we shafted Tuchel. 

And I agree with you on keeping Mount but if he wants to leave too...

We just can't have a squad with two players over 25 next season. It's just not going to end well for Poch.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

The situation has changed - we have decided to blow all our cash on a load of youngsters and now experience is needed more than ever. Could we transition away from all of the above players + Pulisic, Ziyech, Auba, Havertz etc.? 

Yes absolutely, but not all at once - unless we replace them with some players with experience. 

Personally if Kovacic wanted to stay I would 100% keep him but he wants to leave because we shafted Tuchel. 

And I agree with you on keeping Mount but if he wants to leave too...

We just can't have a squad with two players over 25 next season. It's just not going to end well for Poch.

Are you James Prescott in disguise?

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

IMO we really should have hired Poch as soon as he was the preferred candidate - before the end of the season instead of delaying until 1st July. So much to do - surely he has had enough time to relax and didn't need to manage at Soccer Aid. 

Not blaming Poch at all there, but we dilly dallied last summer too and all signs are pointing to us being too slow out of the blocks again. I know it's early but I am just far from convinced we'll get the business done quick enough to have a smooth pre-season.  

We had to wait until July 1st as he was still contracted to PSG until then on "gardening leave" 

• Like 1

On 07/06/2023 at 02:21, ROTG said:

Both asked to leave because they could not get into the first team and the club made money on their sales.  

Both were under contract at the time and the club didn't have to agree. Poultry sums were made compared to what has been wasted since. 

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

Correct MK, however it does not stop the club agreeing a fee with another club and allowing the player to agree personal terms. Then instructing the player not to turn up to pre-season training. 

dread the thought of Ziyech, pulisc or lukaku actually training and looking a better option than the January recruits/replacements in front of the new coach. 

I'm expecting deals for Aubameyang, Ziyech and Kante to go through pretty quickly. 

Pulisic I'm ambivalent about really, if he stays fine, if he goes fine. 

United are definitely going to involve us in some brinkmanship over Mount so that one will drag on until one of us blinks. 

Lukaku's situation is down to be spoken about after the Champions league final and by reports in Italy he still doesn't want to come back so you may be disappointed there. I'm imagining the Kebab industry in Cobham and SW6 are poised deciding whether to employ more people to cope with the demand. 

7 minutes ago, Blue Orca said:

Both were under contract at the time and the club didn't have to agree. Poultry sums were made compared to what has been wasted since. 

7 minutes ago, Blue Orca said:

Absolutely they could have stayed and left on a Bosman. 

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

I’m sorry but in a completely juvenile reaction I can’t stop giggling at this.

(No disrespect to HM)

Maybe I’m just bored because NOTHING is happening 🧐

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Mr. Gizmo, just out of curiosity, who do you want us to sign? 

It doesn’t matter who I want, I am nothing to do with the club. 
That said as a supporter it would be nice to go back to the days when all were upbeat on chances of success at the start of a season . Unfortunately that dream was eroded when the new owners put the clubs future in the hands of a nobody coach, followed by hiring a sports department made up of persons from selling clubs.  Hence here we are with the club having to sell players to balance the books due two disastrous transfer windows. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, ROTG said:

It doesn’t matter who I want, I am nothing to do with the club. 
That said as a supporter it would be nice to go back to the days when all were upbeat on chances of success at the start of a season . Unfortunately that dream was eroded when the new owners put the clubs future in the hands of a nobody coach, followed by hiring a sports department made up of persons from selling clubs.  Hence here we are with the club having to sell players to balance the books due two disastrous transfer windows. 

Yes, yes, and yes!

13 minutes ago, ROTG said:

.  Hence here we are with the club having to sell players to balance the books due two disastrous transfer windows. 

Two things can be true here. What you've stated above (selling players to balance books at least as I dont see the last window as being disastrous though admittedly not yet proven to be a success) as well as selling players that should have no future here (Auba, Puli, Ziyech, Kante , Azpi etc) from a sporting standpoint in order to lean out the squad and allow those that do have a future here to flourish.   

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, chara said:

Hmm Jane...might be scraping the bottom of the barrel but this OG has managed to return to the fold!

I know 👍🏻 And very pleased I am to see you as well.

This place keeps me going Chelsea wise, I just wish something definite would happen instead of us having to discuss endless speculation.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1