Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

4 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

I mean in fairness Mark I never watched him play this last season, but I struggle to believe he stopped trying.

Schoolchildren comment was aimed at those who were saying he was not one of the best at his peak.

Obviously touched a nerve with you, but frankly the idea that Mendy has ever been close to the best in the world (even "at his peak"), or that he is, despite his height, anything other than mediocre on crosses, is frankly risible. The most  that can be said of him was that he made a couple of good saves, but mostly that he wasn't Kepa. 

1 minute ago, Max Fowler said:

Yeah I'm reaching a bit going back to 19/20.

At times Kepa looked the real deal last season, but at others he reminded of his faults.

IMO there's no way we can challenge for the title again with Kepa in goal.

Looks like this conversation is moot and Poch has been listening to me!

I'd take Martinez all day long tbh , although it's probably Argentine + Argentine = off to Chelsea 

54 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Those are very marginal gains for a £40m plus investment ( reports I've seen say they want more than £50m)

Only seen him in the CL final where I thought he was a bit of a mixed bag. Made one decent save from Haaland where he stood his ground. His distribution was a bit wayward. At times it was excellent. Has more of a presence than Kepa, and might at least dive on balls going in front of him across the box. But really, if we can sell Kepa and Mendy and bring in Onana for the money, I wouldn’t complain. 

2 hours ago, RDCW said:

Obviously touched a nerve with you, but frankly the idea that Mendy has ever been close to the best in the world (even "at his peak"), or that he is, despite his height, anything other than mediocre on crosses, is frankly risible. The most  that can be said of him was that he made a couple of good saves, but mostly that he wasn't Kepa. 

Chelsea's Edouard Mendy has been named Goalkeeper of the Season for the 2020/21 UEFA Champions League.

Yep. He’s an absolute pony goal keeper 

13 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Chelsea's Edouard Mendy has been named Goalkeeper of the Season for the 2020/21 UEFA Champions League.

He was an unbelievable shot stopper during our CL run. Nothing went past him. 

Don't forget we went on an incredible clean sheet record in Tuchel's first season with him

25 clean sheets in 44 matches - broke records for clean sheet runs in both the CL and PL. 

Just dreadful.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Well history is always written by the winners, Gizzo old chap. What I would also say is that many a pony performer has won an award! 

He ain't pony, but he sure ain't the puppy's privates either and we need a keeper who is the envy of the kennel if we are to build a title challenging squad.

4 minutes ago, RDCW said:

Well history is always written by the winners, Gizzo old chap. What I would also say is that many a pony performer has won an award! 

He ain't pony, but he sure ain't the puppy's privates either and we need a keeper who is the envy of the kennel if we are to build a title challenging squad.

Ahh... the lyrical  beauty of the Welsh Valleys 😁 Mr Williams...and very true.

25 minutes ago, ROTG said:

He was good , really quite good , we spoke in glowing terms about him on here, then he stopped trying , I'm guessing as per the old joke about the plumber and the washers , you pay so much you don't get everything 

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, RDCW said:

Gizzo 🤣 That’s Mr Gizmo to you 🤣

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DannyLB said:

He may also have hit a purple patch at the right time and what we saw post the CL win is more so his or around his level. 

Well he achieved it both in the league and CL -

Personally I think Tuchel got the absolute very best out of him and during that period when the whole team was ticking - Mendy was clearly invincible. The issue is that some on here are claiming he was never very good - just like Kovacic.

Selective memory me thinks!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Two OG relevant,,I hope quotes to bring some perspective...

Mendy/Kepa...

First...posted before..back in the day..a much younger chara behind two "nearly" OG's...grizzled long term Chelsea followers...team announcement as we await Gordon Banks for the oppos..." 'E always plays well 'ere."...me (now).."He always plays well in most places."

Second.."Old" Highbury...John Phillips in goal for Chelsea...loud shout from the Arse faithfull..."You haven't got Bonetti to save you now Chelsea"

See the difference?

Edited by chara

Just now, Max Fowler said:

I can see why we're interested in  Lautaro Martinez as he was dreadful in his clubs biggest ever game so it makes perfect "Chelsea" sense and IIRC he's the player Lukaku told not to come to the Premier League as he was "coming home" so a double whammy , two players who don't want to be here . Excellent work TBSD 

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, DannyLB said:

I cannot understand why we're interested in Lautaro Martinez. You'd think we'd want a more focal point for our striker options and not move for a player that has played off of a #9 for years. 

It would be an awful signing and I really hope the club don’t bring him here. If we end up with him and Lukaku next season then it’s going to be another long season.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

Yeah I'm reaching a bit going back to 19/20.

IMO there's no way we can challenge for the title again with Kepa in goal.

I agree with you on that, but imho you are not looking at theich bigger picture here.

Spending £60mlion on a keeper who might or might not be marginally better than Kepa would be another appalling waste of money. What we need is to take our time and look for game changers in the way Liverpool did with the likes of Alison and VVD. They were players who helped transform that team. Signing players who are only fractionally better than what we already have will only lead to us having a fractionally better team  and one which would still be miles off from being good enough to challenge for the title. One genuine huge upgrade in an important position would do way more for us than signing another half a dozen bang average players!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

I agree with you on that, but imho you are not looking at theich bigger picture here.

Spending £60mlion on a keeper who might or might not be marginally better than Kepa would be another appalling waste of money. What we need is to take our time and look for game changers in the way Liverpool did with the likes of Alison and VVD. They were players who helped transform that team. Signing players who are only fractionally better than what we already have will only lead to us having a fractionally better team  and one which would still be miles off from being good enough to challenge for the title. One genuine huge upgrade in an important position would do way more for us than signing another half a dozen bang average players!

I agree in principle, although I do think Kepa is well off the pace and I suspect some may underrate Onana on here. Having a goalkeeper who is that good with at distribution (although Kepa is pretty decent too) may be an absolute game changer - just as Ederson has been for City (despite claims otherwise).

As Guardiola said about Onana:

Identifying the space and emptying the midfield is a special quality. Normally, teams have great keepers, but he [Onana] is exceptional with his feet.”

“When you have a goalkeeper like Onana who can read perfectly where everyone is to pass to, it is very, very difficult. It would be a tiny bit easier without this goalkeeper, but still very tough.”

1 hour ago, DannyLB said:

I cannot understand why we're interested in Lautaro Martinez. You'd think we'd want a more focal point for our striker options and not move for a player that has played off of a #9 for years. 

Doing a bit of research it does seem he can play no.9 as well, although I remain to be convinced overall I am pleased he is quite experienced, and maybe even more concerned about paying enormous bucks for flavour of the day Oshimen who has a somewhat better goalscoring record but neither have exactly consistently set the world alight.

Apparently Poch really likes Broja and we could enter the season without buying another striker and Nkunku leading the line. We've been that bad up front that having another experienced body in Martinez would be better than nothing IMO.

15 minutes ago, Ham said:

We don't need a new keeper right now.  We really don't. 

Just concentrate on midfield and a striker.  

Nothing else. 

I wouldn't say no to a proper winger too.

Not sure who we will realistically have left at the end of the summer.

Edited by Max Fowler

2 hours ago, RDCW said:

Let’s beg to differ. 
I am not defending Kara “maybe I am” however there are higher priorities for the squad in order to get an upward trend.  Maybe once the planets start to align and the summit is within the team grasp, then an upgrade in the GK dept would become a priority, similar to Chitty and dippers logic.
 Also our new coach supported Lloris through thick and thin.