Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

Mbappe is bloody brilliant. There are, I reckon, three clubs in world football with the allure and money to get him and we are absolutely not one of them.

Neymar is a busted flush and will be in Saudi Arabia within a year or two, much earlier than should be the case for a player like him.

The Onana links are a little strange. I don't particularly rate him but he is elite level with his feet and distribution in general, maybe it's that I still see a goalkeeper as a goalkeeper first and foremost but in the modern game it's not the most important thing anymore.

Kepa's distribution is good but not elite and he doesn't play the sweeper keeper particularly well. That doesn't just mean coming out his box either, it means rushing off his line and winning the ball inside his box before the attacker gets there. Being decisive off your line is as important as distribution in the modern game along with being commanding in the air and quickly releasing the ball to start a counter, which is probably Kepa's biggest weakness. How many times do you see top goalkeepers win the ball and sprint out to release it? It's pretty much natural and what they do every single time, even if they don't always play the ball. 

Kepa and De gea, maybe it's a Spanish thing, seem to both win the ball stay down for a while, trying to kill the game. I think you know what I mean, when a goalkeeper lays on top of the ball and just looks around before slowly getting up and then just dropping the ball before keeping it a little while, then making the simplest of passes to one of the defenders.

It's very old fashioned and the literal opposite to what players like Ederson or Alison do. There natural reaction is to be far, far more agressive in winning the ball and then being much more decisive with it.

The way the game is played now perhaps it is more important than any of us will ever understand, especially as we have never had a goalkeeper play that way. Kepa and Onana may well be pretty equal in the basics of how many of us would judge a goalkeeper on but on the other side of things Onana is levels ahead of him. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

But wait........ Lukaku to Saudi?

https://www.goal.com/fr/news/info-goal-mercato-al-nassr-se-lance-sur-romelu-lukaku/blt20546e5e57999150 

Now that WOULD be a dream scenario if true. Not that I put much faith in this article. I'd like to see evidence of him traveling to Saudi and they're not actually in the habit of negotiating with clubs and paying transfer fees. 

Still, we can dream. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Blue Moon said:

Please, no. Recipe for disaster.

One of the world's best players, in his prime......... wow.

37 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

So overrated like the weirdo Neymar 

No. Nothing like Neymar.

21 minutes ago, Ham said:

I don't think Mbappe is overrated. Neymar definitely. What a wasted career in Paris. His best years behind him. Mbappe on the other hand.......

Yes.

5 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Mbappe is bloody brilliant. There are, I reckon, three clubs in world football with the allure and money to get him and we are absolutely not one of them.

Neymar is a busted flush and will be in Saudi Arabia within a year or two, much earlier than should be the case for a player like him.

Yes

3 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Let’s see how he’d do here. You could get 15 goals in the French clown league. 

And the World Cup, the Euros, the Champions Leauge?

he scores goals for fun and has pace to burn. Not going to happen, but he would be the ultimate signing.

9 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Neymar is still absolutely good enough to play for us - 24 goal contributions in 20 games last season? The guy's goalscoring record throughout his career speaks for itself. 
Just as Felix's dreadful record spoke volumes and yet few of our fans listened.

Would I want to break the bank to get Neymar?
No - but we need to realise where we are and he would be first name on the team sheet every single week.

It's not gonna happen though so we can move on.

The idea that Mbappe is overrated doesn't even warrant a response.

yeeeeeeeeeeesss

Edited by Max Fowler

4 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Mbappe will be going to Real Madrid for sure. Not a mid table English club. Or any English club for that matter. Doesn’t that put a spanner in the works for Harry Kane’s supposed move to Madrid though? 

Wouldn't be surprised to see Kane stay at Spurs.

22 minutes ago, Ham said:

https://www.goal.com/fr/news/info-goal-mercato-al-nassr-se-lance-sur-romelu-lukaku/blt20546e5e57999150 

Now that WOULD be a dream scenario if true. Not that I put much faith in this article. I'd like to see evidence of him traveling to Saudi and they're not actually in the habit of negotiating with clubs and paying transfer fees. 

Still, we can dream. 

“a proposed two-year contract accompanied by a salary of 25 million euros per season. But the player would be very greedy and ask for more. ”

Lukaku really does think highly of himself, doesn’t he? 

31 minutes ago, Ham said:

Still, we can dream. 

Indeed, so far all the players going there have been out of contract

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

Anyone who would say no to Mbappe or Neymar given our current strike force deserves a temporary account suspension on here. Unfortunately these rumours persist every year and we haven't got a cat in hell's chance of signing either.

Before I’m defenestrated …my point was that I’m not convinced that the introduction of a superstar into our group of prima donnas will promote harmony. 

20 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

Before I’m defenestrated …my point was that I’m not convinced that the introduction of a superstar into our group of prima donnas will promote harmony. 

I understand what you mean, but if you get the chance to sign Mbappe, you take it. 

Again, not that I think we have a cat in hell's chance.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

Without wishing to cause any pericombobulations I'd like to offer my earnest contrafibularities on the use of "defenestrated".

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Blue Moon said:

Personally I think we need someone with proven quality and goalscoring ability up top.

None of the forwards available come close to the goalscoring of Neymar...

Vlahovic? Martinez? Hojlund? Oshimen All of them have less than a goal every two games.

Pleased we seem to be prioritising a striker though... we will NOT get Neymar.

29 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

None of the forwards available come close to the goalscoring of Neymar...

Neymar has been at PSG for 6 years and hasn't managed more than 22 league games in ANY one season.

Imagine how he'd fare in the more physical nature of the PL, rolling around every time a defender went near him

2 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Neymar is still absolutely good enough to play for us - 24 goal contributions in 20 games last season? The guy's goalscoring record throughout his career speaks for itself. 
Just as Felix's dreadful record spoke volumes and yet few of our fans listened.

Would I want to break the bank to get Neymar?
No - but we need to realise where we are and he would be first name on the team sheet every single week.

It's not gonna happen though so we can move on.

The idea that Mbappe is overrated doesn't even warrant a response.

yeeeeeeeeeeesss

Do they think he's out of contract, like Kanté and Benzema?

2 hours ago, Original 21 said:

“a proposed two-year contract accompanied by a salary of 25 million euros per season. But the player would be very greedy and ask for more. ”

Lukaku really does think highly of himself, doesn’t he? 

Could have been worse. It would cost a lot more to have paid him the equivalent in camel doner kebabs.

• Haha 1

Mbappe to Chelsea is on Twitter trending. Please. We are never going to sign Mbappe or Neymar - never.

Let's get back to our equally silly claims like Kovacic is a bad player and Guardiola knows nothing, Mendy never did anything good for us and our our CL win was not that impressive. Oh and all our players have stopped trying.

Defenestration complete.