Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

38 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Let's get back to our equally silly claims like Kovacic is a bad player and Guardiola knows nothing, Mendy never did anything good for us and our our CL win was not that impressive. Oh and all our players have stopped trying.

Defenestration complete.

Steady on - never said any of that - I rather liked Kova, Pep is no fool, I preferred the early Mendy but he was still underrated, and our  little lions have been badly led. Just that Mbappé might rather overawe them.

Now can I please get off the window sill?

7 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

Steady on - never said any of that - I rather liked Kova, Pep is no fool, I preferred the early Mendy but he was still underrated, and our  little lions have been badly led. Just that Mbappé might rather overawe them.

Now can I please get off the window sill?

You're off the hook - I was referring to comments from a few other jokers on here. 
Agree with nearly all of what you say there 😄 Although I am sorry we could never turn down Mbappe if it was ever for some unknown reason possible for us to sign him.

4 hours ago, paulw66 said:

I understand what you mean, but if you get the chance to sign Mbappe, you take it. 

I wonder how much of this is Mbappe reminded to RM not to spend all there money on Keane and Havertz 

I guess he will cost in excess of €150m should PSG decide to sell?

25 minutes ago, ROTG said:

I wonder how much of this is Mbappe reminded to RM not to spend all there money on Keane and Havertz 

I guess he will cost in excess of €150m should PSG decide to sell?

If Mbappe is available, RM will need NO reminder not to spend all their money elsewhere. He is the player they covet above all others.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

If Mbappe is available, RM will need NO reminder not to spend all their money elsewhere. He is the player they covet above all others.

I guess one could  ask the question where does Haarland in the RM equation.  

1 minute ago, Max Fowler said:

Another one whose goalscoring record is not much to write home about.

There really is a dearth of "decent" strikers about these days , probably why Haaland was so coveted and probably why we'll end up eating humble pie and taking Lukaku back 

• Agree 1

I think Mbappe very much sees himself as a left winger and doesn't really want to do the hard yards up front - it would be interesting to see how RM would accomodate both him and Vini Jr. I think they have been quite subdued in the market by their standards in recent years so it wouldn't surpirse me if they could land Kane and Mbappe. Maybe Kane is perfect to keep the spot warm until Haaland feels he is ready for a new challenge?

At any rate, their midfield is obscene and set for years to come with Tchouemeni, Camavinga and Bellingham. Even just one of Mbappe or Kane would seem them still looking very strong . They could do with some work at fullback - let's hope they don't come knocking.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

There really is a dearth of "decent" strikers about these days , probably why Haaland was so coveted and probably why we'll end up eating humble pie and taking Lukaku back 

Humble pie, one of probably the only things Lukaku doesn’t eat.

If he does end up back here I can see him being a dressing room problem.

• Haha 3

The midfield talent at Real Madrid is frightening, it really is. They’ve had a strong midfield with Modric and Kroos for years and they’re passing the torch on to a very strong and young set of midfielders… its really impressive transfer strategy on their part.

As for Mbappe, zero chance he ever comes here, so that’s a non-starter. He’ll got to Madrid, I’m convinced of it, it’ll just be whether PSG get a big pay day this summer or Mbappe gets a huge pay day next summer when his contract ends.

The point made above about Haaland, by @ROTG is interesting as well, because im sure that’s where he wants to end up. Could Mbappe and Haaland play in the same side? If so and with the midfield Madrid have, they could dominate Europe for years, especially when you throw in Vini Jr as well.

15 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

The midfield talent at Real Madrid is frightening, it really is. They’ve had a strong midfield with Modric and Kroos for years and they’re passing the torch on to a very strong and young set of midfielders… its really impressive transfer strategy on their part.

As for Mbappe, zero chance he ever comes here, so that’s a non-starter. He’ll got to Madrid, I’m convinced of it, it’ll just be whether PSG get a big pay day this summer or Mbappe gets a huge pay day next summer when his contract ends.

The point made above about Haaland, by @ROTG is interesting as well, because im sure that’s where he wants to end up. Could Mbappe and Haaland play in the same side? If so and with the midfield Madrid have, they could dominate Europe for years, especially when you throw in Vini Jr as well.

I can't see Haaland leaving City any time soon. Seems to have a strong connection there.

It's impressive - yes - but it won't be enough to overtake City with Guardiola in charge.

And I am sorry, you cannot beat the midfield of Rodri, Gündogan, Bernardo, and De Bruyne.

Let's see what there's looks like next season.

Madrid midfield have talent but they got found out big time against City - including Camavinga.

You also cannot replace Modric - he is a generational talent and not even Bellingham replaces him.

All depends on if he stays and if Madrid can get a manager (who?!) that can compete.

30 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I can't see Haaland leaving City any time soon. Seems to have a strong connection there.

It's impressive - yes - but it won't be enough to overtake City with Guardiola in charge.

And I am sorry, you cannot beat the midfield of Rodri, Gündogan, Bernardo, and De Bruyne.

Let's see what there's looks like next season.

Madrid midfield have talent but they got found out big time against City - including Camavinga.

You also cannot replace Modric - he is a generational talent and not even Bellingham replaces him.

All depends on if he stays and if Madrid can get a manager (who?!) that can compete.

You raise an interesting point. He’s won the treble. Now what? Personally imo the “new” Real is starting to look a lot more alluring now. I think Haaland will leave Citeh in two years’ time when Pep leaves. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

[SNIP]

[SNIP]

Regarding Mbappe, interestingly he has said today that he expects to continue playing for PSG next season (which suggests he doesn't want to be sold this summer, but instead see out his contract). This has infuriated the Qatari owners even more than his letter yesterday saying he wouldn't be taking up the option of a further year beyond the 24/25 season.

34 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

[SNIP]

Talk of Pep moving on when his contract expires in June 2025

• Like 1

Also seen rumours that Haaland has some sort of clause that kicks in and allows a sale for a set fee when Guardiola leaves. All very not specific and don't know what faith to put in it, but I could see key figures moving on from there in the next two years.

They of course have the clout to replace them as well as is possible, so I'm not too excited about the prospect!

19 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

You raise an interesting point. He’s won the treble. Now what? Personally imo the “new” Real is starting to look a lot more alluring now. I think Haaland will leave Citeh in two years’ time when Pep leaves. 

It's been speculated Pep will leave before and he's ended up staying.

I could easily see him staying longer than that and then Haaland stays.

5 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Also seen rumours that Haaland has some sort of clause that kicks in and allows a sale for a set fee when Guardiola leaves. All very not specific and don't know what faith to put in it, but I could see key figures moving on from there in the next two years.

They of course have the clout to replace them as well as is possible, so I'm not too excited about the prospect!

To your point - you cannot replace Guardiola. He is irreplacable.

As soon as he leaves the whole league will open up again. Mark my words.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

To your point - you cannot replace Guardiola. He is irreplacable.

As soon as he leaves the whole league will open up again. Mark my words.

Yep, not something that Man City will be able to throw money at.  There isn’t a manager in world football that comes close. 

4 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

It's been speculated Pep will leave before and he's ended up staying.

[SNIP]

Difference between then and now is that City have at last won the CL. From his point of view, "job done" in many respects (though knowing Pep, back-to-back CLs is next on the to-do list). However, by June 2025, he'll have been at City 9 years... longer than Barca and Bayern combined. Remember he also needed to take a year out between the two, and he was younger then.

I'm not saying he's anywhere near finished, but I'm guessing he'll see that contract end as a natural break given all he's achieved at City.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chrisb said:

I think Guardiola will leave City to go somewhere like PSG so he can win the CL with a different team in another different country to set more records in management. 

I caveat this next comment with a big 'but why would/should he?!', however...

I think he'd prove his ability a lot more if he were to go to a side that didn't have the most money in the league or Lionel Messi and a ready-made supporting cast. 

How good is he when he doesn't have money to throw at every problem in his team?

15 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Difference between then and now is that City have at last won the CL. From his point of view, "job done" in many respects (though knowing Pep, back-to-back CLs is next on the to-do list). However, by June 2025, he'll have been at City 9 years... longer than Barca and Bayern combined. Remember he also needed to take a year out between the two, and he was younger then.

I'm not saying he's anywhere near finished, but I'm guessing he'll see that contract end as a natural break given all he's achieved at City.

That's the point - he's stayed longer at City for a reason and will continue to stay IMO.

8 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I caveat this next comment with a big 'but why would/should he?!', however...

I think he'd prove his ability a lot more if he were to go to a side that didn't have the most money in the league or Lionel Messi and a ready-made supporting cast. 

How good is he when he doesn't have money to throw at every problem in his team?

Not sure City have actually spent the most money under him net.

Old Pep vs Ferguson debate - Fergie worked wonders at little old Aberdeen.

But Pep keeps revolutionising the game and is now clearly the GOAT.

Why should he manage lower down. It's near impossible to do what he does at the top.

That's why noone else can match him - not money as others spend equal if not more.