Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

I said as much earlier in the season when we were putting in crosses to nobody and smashing chance after chance over the bar.  

We suffered from opposition defenders having zero fear of Havertz. 

Remember the times Enzo, James and Chilwell looked up only to find nobody to aim at?

14 minutes ago, Ham said:

I said as much earlier in the season when we were putting in crosses to nobody and smashing chance after chance over the bar.  

We suffered from opposition defenders having zero fear of Havertz. 

Remember the times Enzo, James and Chilwell looked up only to find nobody to aim at?

I don't recall Chilwell looking up once all season which is biggest flaw , just puts it in an area regardless.

Obviously this wouldn't be an issue if we actually had anyone remotely near the "area" but seeing as we managed to be outnumbered when we attacked , outnumbered in midfield and outnumbered in defence it's hard to work out what they were all doing at times.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I don't recall Chilwell looking up once all season which is biggest flaw , just puts it in an area regardless.

Obviously this wouldn't be an issue if we actually had anyone remotely near the "area" but seeing as we managed to be outnumbered when we attacked , outnumbered in midfield and outnumbered in defence it's hard to work out what they were all doing at times.

Looking back it’s shocking how uncoached we seemed. This is supposed to be elite sport but we looked like a child’s team.

• Like 2

Seen some reports linking us to Szczesny this morning. I think this could make sense as a cheaper alternative to Onana or Maignan.

I know many will think of him and his time at Arsenal, but he has matured into a much more solid keeper during his time in Italy. The figures quotes are half what is being quoted for Onana. 
Szcesny may not be as good with his feet, but experience counts for a lot with keepers. He certainly has a confidence and presence about himself, which I also believe to be very important with keepers. Whilst he is not quite full of president of his own fan club like Emi Martinez for example. 

Not sure on Szczesny current form at Juve as not seen much of them this season.  Celery can probably add thoughts on this ?

Of course, getting accurate crosses into the box has always been an important part of attacking, but an even bigger part is having the ability to open teams up with great passing and movement and that is something we have been sorely lacking in for years. Not a single player since Fabregas who can consistently hurt teams with a pass. 

12 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

Seen some reports linking us to Szczesny this morning. I think this could make sense as a cheaper alternative to Onana or Maignan.

I know many will think of him and his time at Arsenal, but he has matured into a much more solid keeper during his time in Italy. The figures quotes are half what is being quoted for Onana. 
Szcesny may not be as good with his feet, but experience counts for a lot with keepers. He certainly has a confidence and presence about himself, which I also believe to be very important with keepers. Whilst he is not quite full of president of his own fan club like Emi Martinez for example. 

Not sure on Szczesny current form at Juve as not seen much of them this season.  Celery can probably add thoughts on this ?

He's a good shot stopper still but he doesn't really fit that ball-playing sweeper mould. Also, despite his size he's pretty ordinary in the air to say the least. Don't really see why he'd be of interest to us personally unless the priority is simply to have a better fundamental option. The other sticking point is his contract, it's massive. In no way should we be paying him anything close to what he earns now. I think he's also triggered a further year extension to his current deal, which complicates things a little more in terms of a fee.

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

The very idea that Arsenal will spend the best part of £200m on two players is laughable.

As for Inter ,  as a club I suggest we withdraw Lukaku immediately and tell them to stick their loan deals up their arse. 

2 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Not a single player since Fabregas who can consistently hurt teams with a pass.

KDB does a decent job at Chitty 

Tin hat is staying on, with the Kevlar coat on standby  

It's exciting that the season is over and we've got a fresh start, but let's be honest - we are still in a sh*t show of a situation here. We've blown all our budget on players who probably aren't worth it; we've bloated the squad so much that we are in a desperate need to sell, we've alienated our best players by forcing so much change that they don't feel welcome any more; we've put ourselves out of contention for top talent because we finished outside the top four. 

Trying to remain optimistic but how we get rid of all these players at a fair price is beyond me, and then signing the right players to get back in contention is another challenge in and of itself.

Yes it's exciting to be linked with Caicedo, Rice Neymar, etc. But we are likely instead at the beginning of a 5-year minimum process of cleaning up Todd Boehly's mess from this absolute joke of a season we just went through. Good luck Poch and I hope no European football saves him - but the ramifications of Boehly's chaotic, ginormous ego will ripple well beyond the season we just went through.

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

It's exciting that the season is over and we've got a fresh start, but let's be honest - we are still in a sh*t show of a situation here. We've blown all our budget on players who probably aren't worth it; we've bloated the squad so much that we are in a desperate need to sell, we've alienated our best players by forcing so much change that they don't feel welcome any more; we've put ourselves out of contention for top talent because we finished outside the top four. 

Trying to remain optimistic but how we get rid of all these players at a fair price is beyond me, and then signing the right players to get back in contention is another challenge in and of itself.

Yes it's exciting to be linked with Caicedo, Rice Neymar, etc. But we are likely instead at the beginning of a 5-year minimum process of cleaning up Todd Boehly's mess from this absolute joke of a season we just went through. Good luck Poch and I hope no European football saves him - but the ramifications of Boehly's chaotic, ginormous ego will ripple well beyond the season we just went through.

I think you're are writing off too many of the recent signings far too quickly. A number of them haven't even kicked a ball for us yet and others have had so little playing time to give any kind of opinion on them.

I do have very serious doubts about Cucu and Mudryk ever becoming the leve of players  we need and KK & Auba were awful signing too. They are the only ones who I wish we hadn't signed but four bad signings is not something to be alarmed about.

24 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

I think you're are writing off too many of the recent signings far too quickly. A number of them haven't even kicked a ball for us yet and others have had so little playing time to give any kind of opinion on them.

I do have very serious doubts about Cucu and Mudryk ever becoming the leve of players  we need and KK & Auba were awful signing too. They are the only ones who I wish we hadn't signed but four bad signings is not something to be alarmed about.

The alarm is the amount of money on those - 130 million on players who might never do it for us.

We ended up spending so much money that we have now cornered ourselves into desperately needing to sell our best - and then being left with unproven youngsters that have no guarantee of delivering as we can no longer compete in the big leagues. 

This is more a reflection on the state of where we are as a whole than the individuals. Twitter is going nuts over Mudryk scoring in an international but he was so far away from delivering in the PL.

Will give him the benefit of the doubt but this is more a crisis of Boehly's making than Mudryk's.

Personally think KK and Auba would have come good had Tuchel stayed.

Contradictory info. from SSN - but seems believable given most think Kepa is a fine option.

Nicolas Jackson.
We really need better stats than these for a new forward:
image.png.e7dad294aac942181d60873321e45981.png

Edited by Max Fowler

9 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Nicolas Jackson.

You can get bogged down in stats.

When we bought Drogba, he had scored 39 goals in 122 senior appearances.

12 goals in 26 league games for Villareal last year is a good return. Not that i have seen him player. 

6 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

The alarm is the amount of money on those - 130 million on players who might never do it for us.

We ended up spending so much money that we have now cornered ourselves into desperately needing to sell our best - and then being left with unproven youngsters that have no guarantee of delivering as we can no longer compete in the big leagues. 

This is more a reflection on the state of where we are as a whole than the individuals. Twitter is going nuts over Mudryk scoring in an international but he was so far away from delivering in the PL.

Will give him the benefit of the doubt but this is more a crisis of Boehly's making than Mudryk's.

Personally think KK and Auba would have come good had Tuchel stayed.

Contradictory info. from SSN - but seems believable given most think Kepa is a fine option.

Nicolas Jackson.

Yes, £130 million is a lot of money, but even if we only got half of our money back on Cucu and Mudryk we'd only be losing about £60 million. These days, that is a relitively small amount of money for a big club. The potentially serious problems will only arise if most of the recent signings turn out to be turds.