Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

7 hours ago, McCreadie said:

You make out like the first game he watched was after he bought the club. I actually said more knowledgable than you, not any serious fan, but that is perhaps splitting hairs. He has been to a lot more Chelsea games than I have in the last year. The point was never about his supreme football knowledge, it was about your assertion that he “knows absolutely nothing about football”.  As regards his quote about them not being the football experts to find the best talent, which elite club owner does? Clue - none. Much to the chagrin of ROTG he has been true to his word and put those experts in place. In about 3 years we will see if it was a success.

It's just not controversial to say that Todd Boehly was not a big soccer fan before taking over - Roman was. Todd had an interest in the Premier League as a global brand with huge potential for growth. Roman was a genuine fan who just wanted to own his own club.

Point taken about the fact that some other owners probably had equal or even less knowledge about football when they took over. But none put themselves in the spotlight as if they knew that, for example, De Bruyne and Salah were fantastic products of Cobham.

It's a great one-liner to say he knows more about football than me - but this isn't the hill you need to die on. You don't need to defend Boehly's knowledge of football - noone thinks he is a great student of the game but he does have the opportunity to learn quickly.

My concern is - how much have those experts in place actually been listened to and left to do their jobs, or are they just a placeholder so Todd can have his moment in the spotlight again, make his big boy pants decisions while regurgitating what they told him?

17 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

So not much a change compared to the previous season then. Only difference is that the team I’ve proposed has potential. 

Potential for what getting in to the top 10, top 6, top 4, relegated  - be a bit more specific

11 hours ago, DannyLB said:

Caicedo would be a real coup. What a midfield we're looking to have come next season.

If this bloke is such coup, don't you think it a bit strange no other top European clubs are even looking at the bloke. I discount the Arse because there were a one hit wonder last season.

As usual the ex-brighton sports dept is going back to there previous employers for give them a sh1t load of money for a  mid table player.

Maybe TB wants to go down in PL history as the owner of the most expensive mid table bunch of misfits for two consecutive seasons. 

2 minutes ago, ROTG said:

If this bloke is such coup, don't you think it a bit strange no other top European clubs are even looking at the bloke. I discount the Arse because there were a one hit wonder last season.

As usual the ex-brighton sports dept is going back to there previous employers for give them a sh1t load of money for a  mid table player.

Maybe TB wants to go down in PL history as the owner of the most expensive mid table bunch of misfits for two consecutive seasons. 

You'd better tel Kloppy then seeing as he just bough MacAllister from Brighton too. 

2 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Would still like another DM to come in on top,

No point in wasting more money, and the likes of Ampadu can do a job especially with the team playing one game a week next season

1 hour ago, Bison said:

If (and it's a big If) we do sign Caicedo then I would be all in on Lavia as well. He is nowhere near the finished article but I think he'd be an excellent project player for us that could become something special.

I know we've held long standing interest, my concern with Lavia is that would he get enough games here to continue to develop? Because as talented as he does look there's parts of his game which need quite a bit of refinement. With Caicedo potentially ahead of him, we may be better served with a slightly more established alternative. 

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

You'd better tel Kloppy then seeing as he just bough MacAllister from Brighton too. 

He only cost 35m and not +80m in a times when Chelsea is trying to punting all and sundry to balance the books.

Lets us see who gets the better ratings next season.

2 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Hopefully get it over the line sooner rather than later. 

Would still like another DM to come in on top, that way we've got two genuine options to either rotate between or provide seamless depth whenever one is out and not having to begin plugging gaps - an issue we've had for far too long in more recent years. 

I know we may look at Andrey Santos or Casadei in pre-season but neither are really DM's either. 

Andrey Santos can and has played DM. Looks a proper unit too.

Casadei is a throwback to SFL and needs to be used as an 8. 

Remains to be seen whether the TBSD are actually all idiots. 

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Imagine the cost of transporting the , lions , horses , acrobats , and vehicles where the wheels and doors fall off so that he can be chief clown in a circus of his own making .

So it is back to Cobham for Lukaku on 1st July

3 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

I know we've held long standing interest, my concern with Lavia is that would he get enough games here to continue to develop? Because as talented as he does look there's parts of his game which need quite a bit of refinement. With Caicedo potentially ahead of him, we may be better served with a slightly more established alternative. 

I think Caicedo and Edson Alvarez would do me quite nicely.

5 minutes ago, ROTG said:

No point in wasting more money, and the likes of Ampadu can do a job especially with the team playing one game a week next season

What evidence is there exactly that Ampadu can do a job? You seem awfully concerned about us being a midtable club and signing a midtable players and then want us to put Ampadu who is a relegation fodder standard player in this country and Italy in our midfield. Mind boggling.

5 minutes ago, ROTG said:

If this bloke is such coup, don't you think it a bit strange no other top European clubs are even looking at the bloke.

Abramovich had this tendency to sign players who had played well against us. In the microcosm of the Premier League Caicedo has a very good highlights reel but is he worth £80m for a 21 year old after one season? It's a risk, and I think that's what the foreign clubs are looking at. When I look at him playing I see an awful lot of tackles that are a split second away from being a yellow or even red card. If he can use last season as a base on which to build I can see us having a player, however I fear that he could go one of two ways from this point. If he doesn't hit the ground running I can see him trying too hard and suffering a rash of cards thereby nullifying his effectiveness. Time will tell I suppose.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Real Madrid don't need him. He's not the profile of player that Barcelona would chase, nor can they afford it anyway. Bayern aren't really in need, PSG already signed Ugarte and have Varretti. No Serie A side can afford the transfer fee involved, which leaves a handful of Premier League clubs, of which only Liverpool, Arsenal and ourselves really have a spot. And even then Arsenal have he who shall not be named, with a strong interest in Rice. So really, it's just Liverpool and ourselves.

1 minute ago, Ham said:

Quote Alan Hansen - You don't win anything with kids

What seems to elude people here, should the club fail to get top level European football again next season, some of these talents will be coming to their prime, and one can assume they will be asking for exit door right or clubs will come knocking for them.

Enzo 8 year contract is work jack sh1t should a top european club come knocking and Chelsea are still without European football .

4 minutes ago, Ham said:

I know he has, but he's more a box-to-box type naturally (re A. Santos). I think it would be a bit of a disservice tying him down in a purely defensive role, sort of like Essien back in the day. 

Casadei I agree, he's got the goods to be a fine player if we can find a place for him. 

10 minutes ago, FrankLampard8 said:

What evidence is there exactly that Ampadu can do a job? You seem awfully concerned about us being a midtable club and signing a midtable players and then want us to put Ampadu who is a relegation fodder standard player in this country and Italy in our midfield. Mind boggling.

Not if you look a the clubs balance sheet and only playing one game per week next season.

"Ampadu is fit for purpose under the club current circumstances"

Edited by ROTG

6 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Real Madrid don't need him. He's not the profile of player that Barcelona would chase, nor can they afford it anyway. Bayern aren't really in need, PSG already signed Ugarte and have Varretti. No Serie A side can afford the transfer fee involved, which leaves a handful of Premier League clubs, of which only Liverpool, Arsenal and ourselves really have a spot. And even then Arsenal have he who shall not be named, with a strong interest in Rice. So really, it's just Liverpool and ourselves.

I'm more akin to the theory if he was any good one of top team would have come in for him,  and maybe for a season or two would have sterilised him as a squad player rather than an automatic starter, you also have to consider even as a squad player with top teams playing 60-70 matches per season he would more than likely play in excess of 25 games

16 minutes ago, FrankLampard8 said:

I think Caicedo and Edson Alvarez would do me quite nicely.

Nice mid table bar set there

24 minutes ago, ROTG said:

He only cost 35m and not +80m in a times when Chelsea is trying to punting all and sundry to balance the books.

Lets us see who gets the better ratings next season.

Honestly ROTG did you see Caicedo last season?
Twice the player of Macallister - IMO already the 2nd best CM in the league behind Rodri.

There's a reason why Brighton fans voted Caicedo ahead of MacAllister in their player of the season awards.
MacAllister didn't even get top three btw..

19 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

How am I agreeing with Celery?

The short answer is - money! Tuchel may still go for Rice but its a huge outlay for them.

Sense he rates Rice higher than Caicedo - I feel the opposite. 

Edited by Max Fowler

6 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Honestly ROTG did you see Caicedo last season?
Twice the player of Macallister - IMO already the 2nd best CM in the league behind Rodri

Was that not the same argument used this time last season with the Cucurella link and eventual signing.

Same club same hype. Who knows maybe after 100 days of Poch he will get replace by de-zebi 😃

It's a funny old game and I'll get my coat 

Edited by ROTG