Raheem Sterling

JaneB

I suspect that Sterling has got wind of the club desperate to offload him off the payroll. He may well have got assurances from the patsy manager in the last few weeks but the cretins who run our club have given him the Roman Emporers thumb down and instructed the patsy to drop him fully from the matchday squad. I'm no fan of Sterling but I do know that City fans breathed a sigh of relief when he was dropped.

4 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Apparently the quote was from a Daily Mail interview earlier in the week and published by the DM when he didn't appear on the team sheet.

Personally I feel Sterling isn't going to get any sympathy from the supporters as this is precisely the sort of egotistical, self entitled attitude that has not endeared him to us in all the time he's been at Stamford Bridge. This and his penalty against Leicester (?) just goes to show he's not interested in the Club he's only interested in Raheem. I've got no sympathy, the guy is hardly in poverty and only came to us so that he could bum Sunday lunch off his mum and go out with his pals in London. He's in the same group as Lukaku and Kepa, overpaid and offer nothing to the Club.

Get lost Raheem and take your stupid tatoos with you.

PS Was he even at the ground showing solidarity with his team mates?

I suspect not,  as if he had been he may have had some tough questions coming his way from pissed off teammates and some much more unpleasant ones from the lads that actually pay his wages.  Much easier to have that sent from your sofa at home.  

2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

What possible good can come from a statement like that? 

If he ever gets a chance to put the shirt on again, he'll get booed, I expect. burnt his bridges here.

Probably wants out and has decided that he wants to make it public that he'll do it if there's a significant pay off coming his way.

Given his form for us over the last two years, I doubt he'll be getting much sympathy from anyone.  

34 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

What possible good can come from a statement like that? 

If he ever gets a chance to put the shirt on again, he'll get booed, I expect. burnt his bridges here.

Reports that the Daily Mail (who obtained and released the statement) were up to their dirty tricks. Apparently this statement was made a few days ago but only released before the game for maximum impact and that seems to have worked. 

20240819_142804.thumb.jpg.71e94b53492598ed1c776c23d5175e7c.jpg

4 minutes ago, Bison said:

Reports that the Daily Mail (who obtained and released the statement) were up to their dirty tricks. Apparently this statement was made a few days ago but only released before the game for maximum impact and that seems to have worked. 

What a surprise. 

28 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

What a surprise. 

One does wonder why his camp would even consider speaking to anyone representing the Daily Mail given that Paper's treatment of him in the past though.....? Seems a decidedly odd choice for them to make

10 minutes ago, Bert19 said:

One does wonder why his camp would even consider speaking to anyone representing the Daily Mail given that Paper's treatment of him in the past though.....? Seems a decidedly odd choice for them to make

Would assume Sterling and his camp are on high alert as they should be with these chancers.

Sterling is owed £51m in salary for the next three years. His camp are well within their right to remind anybody listening (mainly lawyers) that Sterling remains committed and available for selection.

17 minutes ago, Bison said:

Would assume Sterling and his camp are on high alert as they should be with these chancers.

Sterling is owed £51m in salary for the next three years. His camp are well within their right to remind anybody listening (mainly lawyers) that Sterling remains committed and available for selection.

True dat.  

Not sure the Daily Mail would be the first people i'd be looking to speak to mind.... Must be less nasty press outlets they could go through. 

2 hours ago, Bison said:

I don't think this is true. The statement was specifically about not being in Sunday's matchday squad, and a response to that. It is hard to see how such a specific detail and pointed response to it would be in a "statement" given days before and before any selection decisions had been shared with players. This is, imo, likely damage control from his camp or just pure fabrication.

I think it is much more likely that the club have been pushing Sterling to find or agree to a move and he's making clear that he's not giving up £50m of wages.

1 hour ago, Bison said:

His camp are well within their right to remind anybody listening (mainly lawyers) that Sterling remains committed and available for selection.

So every time a player doesn't make the matchday squad, we should expect a statement like this?

Of course not, it's a nonsense.

Just turn up to training, and do your job, and try and change the manager's mind. 

• Like 2

Put yourself in his position, firstly.

You’ve done nowt wrong, trained and toed the line. Then get bombed. I’d be a might unhappy.

Added to it you see at least two players who shouldn’t be anywhere near our first 11, shoehorned in. One of which may have some views on race that don’t align with what most decent human beings think and you sit within that profile that they abused. In fact they make that one Captain.

You’re watching the club you are contracted to, treating people as pure commodities and ignoring the heart and pride that they put into their performances, you hear rumours that they’re going to do the same to you. 

I’d be a might perturbed, the fella carried our attack for part of last season when others went missing. Sit tight and force the issue - Biters getting bit, springs to mind.

12 minutes ago, east lower said:

One of which may have some views on race that don’t align with what most decent human beings think

Hmm. I think this has been blown out of proportion. As I understand it Fernandez was joining in a song with the rest of his teammates. If the song had been about the Republic of Ireland and their questionable selection policy back in Big Jack's days I wonder if the same furore would have erupted? Or indeed the All Blacks hoovering up all the Pacific Islanders for their rugby team? I wonder if the French team were equally offended?

18 minutes ago, east lower said:

I’d be a might perturbed, the fella carried our attack for part of last season when others went missing. Sit tight and force the issue - Biters getting bit, springs to mind.

when was this?

The Luton home game?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Hmm. I think this has been blown out of proportion. As I understand it Fernandez was joining in a song with the rest of his teammates. If the song had been about the Republic of Ireland and their questionable selection policy back in Big Jack's days I wonder if the same furore would have erupted? Or indeed the All Blacks hoovering up all the Pacific Islanders for their rugby team? I wonder if the French team were equally offended?

Don’t know much about the Irish, but the French FA have formally complained to FIFA.

43 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think Maresca said he was dropped for tactical reasons. 

That may be a kinder way of saying 

"I don't rate him". 

In almost any previous era, or any previous coach, I would agree. But in this case, there is a clear policy of freezing out players for non-footballing reasons. After Gallagher and Chalobah, Sterling and Chilwell are the latest guys nominated for the chop, probably because their output doesn't match their wages, or maybe the output doesn't matter.

I still think Sterling would be a useful squad player this year, especially as he knows how to play left-wing. Mudryk can't do that consistently, Nkunku is better at no.10, Pedro Neto is better on the right and if we sign Felix, he would also be a 10 (if he really has to play).

Struggling to find the right balance here...the coach,,one hopes.. decides that a player,,Raheem in this instance,,doesn't fit in his set up for a game and with a lot of options he doesn't include him on the bench..or as suggested he is being sidelined as a precursor to moving him on.

The statement is interesting..I recall  a work moment when a young lady,,for whatever reasons,,started implying a colleague was offending her with comments and work related failings...both fabricated,,the guy was relocated somewhat bemused,,she then started the same game about another colleague,,again fabricated..he whilst not relocated was taken to task.

I was next in line for her foolishness..at the first hint I immediately went to management and nipped it in the bud much to her chagrin,,,do I see the same response from Raheem? (Struck a cord)