Raheem Sterling

JaneB

3 hours ago, xceleryx said:

You make it sound as if we gave him his contract on the back of previously earning peanuts, when in reality he was already earning £300k pw at City, got a slight increase from us to compensate taking a sporting step backwards during his "prime years". 

Wonder if you held the same thoughts when the likes of Veron, Shevchenko, Torres, Drinkwater and so on saw their futures here end. All had to be loaned out for years on the back of us subsidising most of it. No doubt you'd have preferred them to have stayed and milked that Russian dry, right 

Too shallow of an argument to even begin interacting with I’m afraid. I’m sure you can see the very clear difference between Sterling and the players you’ve mentioned. 

On 19/08/2024 at 14:27, BMox81 said:

Tbf, Redknapp had it spot on.

You weren’t in the squad so work harder and earn your spot. Simple as really.

As one of the elder members of the squad he should know better really-especially when you have seen the situations of the likes of Trevor and Conor who most would likely say have had an even worse time of it and yet have been dignified in their attitudes.

Poor from Raheem here.

Maresca confirmed Sterling and Chilwell have been moved away from first-team training now and joined Chalobah and many others. And let's be real, all of them can work and train as hard as they possibly could at this point and they'll never make it back to the first-team. 

2 minutes ago, MickyDroy said:

Maresca confirmed Sterling and Chilwell have been moved away from first-team training now and joined Chalobah and many others. And let's be real, all of them can work and train as hard as they possibly could at this point and they'll never make it back to the first-team. 

which clearly not the coach's decision........so one game in and Maresca is clearly comfortable with being a stooge for this ownership. Ain't no way that Maresca would not want someone like Sterling available to use to try and win football matches.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

which clearly not the coach's decision........so one game in and Maresca is clearly comfortable with being a stooge for this ownership. Ain't no way that Maresca would not want someone like Sterling available to use to try and win football matches.

I wonder what the likes of James, Palmer and Colwill must think about it all. Surely they must all secretly be shaking their heads in disbelief about their mates being banished. 

I reckon it will all come back to bite Maresca at some point. And if he doesn't get us going quickly it will likely be sooner rather than later.

Edited by MickyDroy

9 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

Maresca is a stooge. It's precisely why he was hired.

Saying with a straight face he prefers other types of wingers while carrying a squad featuring a scrub like Mudryk is an insult to anybody who watches football.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MickyDroy said:

I wonder what the likes of James, Palmer and Colwill must think about it all. Surely they must all secretly be shaking their heads in disbelief about their mates being banished. 

I reckon it will all come back to bite Maresca at some point. And if he doesn't get us going quickly it will likely be sooner rather than later.

By all accounts Sterling is really popular in the dressing room with our young players. He is well respected and looked up to by the younger lads, that has been reported on numerous occasions in the last 12 months.

Players come and go, it happens . We just seem hellbent on creating difficult situations for ourselves, we need to win football matches, and that means having the best options available to the coach to win those matches.  Leave players out if they have done something wrong or are disruptive, but what they are doing here with 3-4 key squad members, who have done nothing to deserve this, well it's just wrong and so crass.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

By all accounts Sterling is really popular in the dressing room with our young players. He is well respected and looked up to by the younger lads, that has been reported on numerous occasions in the last 12 months.

Players come and go, it happens . We just seem hellbent on creating difficult situations for ourselves, we need to win football matches, and that means having the best options available to the coach to win those matches.  Leave players out if they have done something wrong or are disruptive, but what they are doing here with 3-4 key squad members, who have done nothing to deserve this, well it's just wrong and so crass.

Yeah, i'm aware.

There just seem to be a lack of respect in the way they go about things. Shouldn't come as a surprise I guess as the first thing Eghbali did at this club was to shit on Roman and Marina but for me its infuriating to watch whatever one might think of Sterling.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bison said:

Maresca is a stooge. It's precisely why he was hired.

Saying with a straight face he prefers other types of wingers while carrying a squad featuring a scrub like Mudryk is an insult to anybody who watches football.

The decent thing to have done, and the best thing for the club also in terms of selling power - was to have had this conversation a month ago.

Humanity, common decency, community, spirit - Not data based or judged on metrics, so clearly not part of what we do or how we act.

And they want to build a team!

• Like 1

So have they just given Sterling's shirtnumber to Neto?

I have to say I really dislike that if so. There's one thing trying to sell him, but to unless there's like an imminent agreement with another club... this just seems a little disrespectful.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Proud-Blue said:

I have to say I really dislike that if so. There's one thing trying to sell him, but to unless there's like an imminent agreement with another club... this just seems a little disrespectful.

Neto has already worn 19.

Not sure this is true. 

Edit - the megastore is selling Neto 7 shirts. 

Edited by paulw66

10 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Neto has already worn 19.

Not sure this is true. 

Edit - the megastore is selling Neto 7 shirts. 

Yep, it's 100% true. People who bought Neto 19 shirts can now get them changed.

53 minutes ago, east lower said:

The decent thing to have done, and the best thing for the club also in terms of selling power - was to have had this conversation a month ago.

Humanity, common decency, community, spirit - Not data based or judged on metrics, so clearly not part of what we do or how we act.

And they want to build a team!

Sadly, they are from the Mike Ashley school of how not to treat people.👎

Taking his shirt number is absolutely pathetic. I sincerely hope Raheem, who I've never rated and think has been a disaster signing, was told much sooner than it seems that we didn't intend to play him, because if it really was last week, that is shameful. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Taking his shirt number is absolutely pathetic. I sincerely hope Raheem, who I've never rated and think has been a disaster signing, was told much sooner than it seems that we didn't intend to play him, because if it really was last week, that is shameful. 

As you know I'm quite supportive of the "plan" but even I think it's pretty piss-poor to give a shirt number away before a player has left. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Proud-Blue said:

Not mentioned in the tweet but 14 is Trev's number, or was

8 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Not mentioned in the tweet but 14 is Trev's number, or was

Ooof, didn't even notice that. Well that's just equally not right to me.

There's nothing stopping them waiting a season to get their preferred numbers, and it just gives the media another stick to beat us with.

7 minutes ago, Proud-Blue said:

Ooof, didn't even notice that. Well that's just equally not right to me.

There's nothing stopping them waiting a season to get their preferred numbers, and it just gives the media another stick to beat us with.

Shouldn’t be just the media, it lacks any sort of decency, class and professional respect and should condemned by anyone who has a smidgen of the aforementioned attributes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, east lower said:

Shouldn’t be just the media, it lacks any sort of decency, class and professional respect and should condemned by anyone who has a smidgen of the aforementioned attributes.

Yeah, similar point I've been making elsewhere but some people seem to disagree. It's frustrating. These players are ultimately human beings, and whatever "rationale" we may create for decisions, they have human ramifications. There was no reason not to wait until he's actually out of the club before giving his number to Neto and Chalobah's to Felix.

My suspicion is we're going to see a fire sale of a lot of players over the next week, most likely to free up wages for an attempt at signing Osimhen. 

I understand selling players is part of football, I just think the club could have handled this a bit better. Hopefully the situation is resolved soon. As in next couple of day soon.

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

It's a response to the Felix signing, 100%. Which is a recent development after the Omorodion deal broke down.

13 minutes ago, Proud-Blue said:

Yeah, similar point I've been making elsewhere but some people seem to disagree. It's frustrating. These players are ultimately human beings, and whatever "rationale" we may create for decisions, they have human ramifications. There was no reason not to wait until he's actually out of the club before giving his number to Neto and Chalobah's to Felix.

My suspicion is we're going to see a fire sale of a lot of players over the next week, most likely to free up wages for an attempt at signing Osimhen. 

I understand selling players is part of football, I just think the club could have handled this a bit better. Hopefully the situation is resolved soon. As in next couple of day soon.

Yep, people first, second and third. Professional footballers after that. 

Clubs want the players to behave and act professionally and they should be acting in the same way, if not better.

1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

Sadly, they are from the Mike Ashley school of how not to treat people.👎

Seems so. 😠

And unfortunately the new man seems to be going along with it. Even if he’s being told to do it, he ought to say ‘hang on a minute’ and try to temper the enthusiasm of those above him and find a better, more palatable way forward for all involved.

Edited by east lower

The shirt number thing is pretty crap, especially the Sterling one as that’s clearly just come about since the weekend, otherwise they’d have don’t it before that match and not sold any Neto 19 shirts.

Chalobah one is sad, but a bit more understandable as they have made it clear he’s for sale, so his number is going to be available sooner rather than later.

2 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

The shirt number thing is pretty crap, especially the Sterling one as that’s clearly just come about since the weekend, otherwise they’d have don’t it before that match and not sold any Neto 19 shirts.

Chalobah one is sad, but a bit more understandable as they have made it clear he’s for sale, so his number is going to be available sooner rather than later.

Fall outs happen at most clubs and more than once - I remember Florent Malouda being ostracised, a player that divided opinion amongst fans, but was a good servant overall, so it happens at most clubs and with numerous ownership (I thought we looked a better balanced side with Malouda in it, than not FWIW).

This current lot though are a special breed and not in a good way. They are de-sensitising our fan base, what’s going on is not normal and not acceptable.