Raheem Sterling

JaneB

5 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Being booed off after being subbed was the low point for me. Brought back some very unpleasant memories of the treatment received by Paul Cannovile.

That was so unnecessary. Some of those booers are probably now upset he has no squad number. 

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Being booed off after being subbed was the low point for me. Brought back some very unpleasant memories of the treatment received by Paul Cannovile.

You're not trying to imply that the booing for Sterling was race related,  surely ?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

You're not trying to imply that the booing for Sterling was race related,  surely ?

Do you think all of the far right (and I do mean what that used to mean) have all gone away? They are still there,  just a lot smaller in number and have learned to keep their mouths shut during games. It was only a small minority who booed Sterling off but it doesn't take many people booing together to make it sound like it was a lot.

• Disagree 1

27 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

No we will leave that to Dipper fans whose online abuse bordered on horrific. 

I loathe that lot because they brand all Chelsea fans as far right racist scum, rather than there being a small minority like there will be at nearly every club.

Our fans are not Angels by any means, but at least they've never been in riot which lead to the deaths of dozens of rival fans. The  extreme hypocrisy and sanctimonious attitude of the Liverpool fans is what I hate most about them.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Do you think all of the far right (and I do mean what that used to mean) have all gone away? They are still there,  just a lot smaller in number and have learned to keep their mouths shut during games. It was only a small minority who booed Sterling off but it doesn't take many people booing together to make it sound like it was a lot.

QED it was racist ? Wow, you really are determined to conform to the media's hatred of the club and its fans !

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Do you think all of the far right (and I do mean what that used to mean) have all gone away? 

In the main. I have been a ST since 1991 and I have not seen or heard one single incident that I would call racist, in the sense of what Paul Cannoville put up with. Not one. 

You didn't answer my question, but for the record, I don't believe for a single second the booing of RS had anything to do with his skin colour. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

In the main. I have been a ST since 1991 and I have not seen or heard one single incident that I would call racist, in the sense of what Paul Cannoville put up with. Not one. 

You didn't answer my question, but for the record, I don't believe for a single second the booing of RS had anything to do with his skin colour. 

No me neither. 2/3 of team are coloured so those people just wouldn’t turn up. There might be one or two but doubt they would vocalise it. 

I don't think the idea of pushing Sterling out is necessarily a bad idea, as he hasn't hit the heights we'd want, but then very few players performed well last year and the first season with Tuchel/Potter/Lampard was a total disaster. He is still a better option than Mudryk.

The main issue is that he was clearly considered to be part of the squad until last week, when the Gallagher/Omorodion deal fell apart. Then they needed to bring in Felix in order to sell Gallagher, with the knock-on effect that they needed to sell another attacking player. This is an incredible lack of planning.

• Agree 2

32 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

I don't think the idea of pushing Sterling out is necessarily a bad idea, as he hasn't hit the heights we'd want, but then very few players performed well last year and the first season with Tuchel/Potter/Lampard was a total disaster. He is still a better option than Mudryk.

The main issue is that he was clearly considered to be part of the squad until last week, when the Gallagher/Oan morodion deal fell apart. Then they needed to bring in Felix in order to sell Gallagher, with the knock-on effect that they needed to sell another attacking player. This is an incredible lack of planning.

Unless they had an eye on selling the guy everyone acknowledges to be both a bit of a damp squib and the leading earner in the squad all along.

5 minutes ago, RDCW said:

Unless they had an eye on selling the guy everyone acknowledges to be both a bit of a damp squib and the leading earner in the squad all along.

Do you think they would have taken him to the US and put out the articles they did if that was the plan?

8 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

Do you think they would have taken him to the US and put out the articles they did if that was the plan?

I think that, since the incomings of Neto and Felix (and potentially a new number 9) were not yet a reality, it made sense to make do with what he had. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, RDCW said:

I think that, since the incomings of Neto and Felix (and potentially a new number 9) were not yet a reality, it made sense to make do with what he had. 

Do you think that the signing of Felix was planned before last week?

I was once put into a (deliberate) nasty situation whereby I was told .due to economic reasons,bs but,I had to fire one of three employees under me, Two girls and one guy.

Reluctantly I chose,for absolutely practical and work related efficiency reasons probably the closest girl to me who had started the dept with me..it hurt deeply.

For the same reasons Raheem is on the way out..there is no easy way to do the deed and we do not know of the real back story...looks so bad on paper that it is in itself yet another bad move by THEM.... again I refer you all to my banging on about the "norm" in NFL player movements.

A man who kicks his dog into submission is always amazed that others are horrified...knows no different way!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chiswickblue said:

Do you think that the signing of Felix was planned before last week?

I don't know mate. I think that they were on the lookout for value in the context of not getting value for money from Sterling; if not Felix then someone.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RDCW said:

I don't know mate. I think that they were on the lookout for value in the context of not getting value for money from Sterling; if not Felix then someone.

This does make sense, I just wish they had chosen someone other than Felix, who is definitely not a left-winger.

12 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

This does make sense, I just wish they had chosen someone other than Felix, who is definitely not a left-winger.

Obviously they think Madueke, Mudryk,Palmer, Neto and Jacko have got the wide areas covered and  Felix and Nkunku offer more of an Inside Forward (in old parlance) threat, as well as being able to fill the striker role. I'm expecting a number 9 to come in before the end of the window and  I've got to say I don't think Mudryk will survive the next cull though!

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, paulw66 said:

It may well have.  You can't have it both ways like........

If they had sold to Wolves it may have done, but there’s very chance of that number pushing up Neto’s price if Sterling was sold to AN other and that’s what I suggested.

As soon as you decide to sell a player, that happens. It's unavoidable. 

Not always, that player could be much sought after and an auction begins. This lot couldn’t play poker to save their skins, they’ve completely shown their hand with less than two weeks of the transfer window left. Amateurs

That's exactly what did happen. We bought Neto. We then told Sterling he was surplus to requirements. 

He probably was in the coaches plans until the point we got a replacement.

Someone at the club is lying, but that would not surprise me - unfortunately. 

On the last sentence, not acceptable behaviour, if it were true.

Let’s not forget, always 2 sides to everything and we don’t really know the details of either side, but don’t forget the statement he/his team released hours before our first game of the season. That must have some impact on the decisions being made at the moment.

We obviously have no idea what’s happened between the player and the club that has led to some of the decisions, it is quite possible the club (and even his team mates) were very unhappy with the statement he released, which is what has led to or sped up what is currently happening.

To be honest, some of the reaction on here feels like it’s being amped up as it’s another stick to beat the owners/sports directors with, also whipped up by the MSM and social media. Whilst it may not all be right or being managed correctly, if the same thing happened under the old regime, nobody would be calling out Roman or Petr, at least not to the degree we’re currently seeing. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Let’s not forget, always 2 sides to everything and we don’t really know the details of either side, but don’t forget the statement he/his team released hours before our first game of the season. That must have some impact on the decisions being made at the moment.

We obviously have no idea what’s happened between the player and the club that has led to some of the decisions, it is quite possible the club (and even his team mates) were very unhappy with the statement he released, which is what has led to or sped up what is currently happening.

To be honest, some of the reaction on here feels like it’s being amped up as it’s another stick to beat the owners/sports directors with, also whipped up by the MSM and social media. Whilst it may not all be right or being managed correctly, if the same thing happened under the old regime, nobody would be calling out Roman or Petr, at least not to the degree we’re currently seeing. 

His team didn't release a statement shortly before the match. They provided one to the Daily Mail several days earlier when the player was informed he wasn't in the squad (as the Felix negotiations took off).

9 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

That might be so, the difference perhaps being the level of trust supporters had in the previous owner and his trusted senior staff, that was built over 18 years.

This current lot have done nothing to earn anywhere near that level of trust and quite frankly in my view, have done a few things that have had quite the opposite effect.

They’ve put their hands into other people’s pockets to buy players and leveraged club assets also.

There’s also one other crucial factor - No matter what the circumstances (and Crisis/Circus FC was christened for us well before the new owners took over) we won things consistently. We have got to a semi-final and LC Final and struggled in the league under this lot and added to it, had to re-start the process 3 times in their two-and-a-bit years of ownership. No wonder that some are cautious and questioning.

Edited by east lower
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

31 minutes ago, east lower said:

That might be so, the difference perhaps being the level of trust supporters had in the previous owner and his trusted senior staff, that was built over 18 years.

This is key. Abramovich got things wrong, but he picked up the bill and he got far, far more right. And acted quickly when he had been wrong. There was every reason, within just a year or two, to trust him.

I appreciate some people are able to operate on faith, and have some respect for that. I'm not one of those people.

• Agree 4