Kepa Arrizabalaga

JaneB

9 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

He probably set himself back a bit yesterday, didn’t have his best game, but let’s hope it’s a one of in his current run of form.

It’s not a one-off.  Kepa is not good enough and never has been.

Below is a compilation from like the last 10 games.   Over a season he costs you 9-12 points easily.   And I think I’m being really generous there. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

He probably set himself back a bit yesterday, didn’t have his best game, but let’s hope it’s a one of in his current run of form.

He very nearly cost us against Leicester last weekend. 

The Spurs opener in the 2-0 loss was shot straight at him and went through him, similar to Everton's equaliser last night. 

The Man City goal - he simply allowed the ball to roll in front of him and to the back post for a tap.

There are other instances of bad goalkeeping during this supposedly good run of form but a false narrative has been allowed to develop and it's absolutely maddening.

Kepa is rubbish and nothing has changed. He should be the first one out the door this summer but of course no other club in Europe is foolish enough to take him on the salary he has. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Below is a compilation from like the last 10 games.   Over a season he costs you 9-12 points easily.   And I think I’m being really generous there. 

Horrific goalkeeping as always but the narrative is too powerful.

35 minutes ago, Rob B said:

What a shithouse clip that provides zero context to the plays involved. 

Believe it or not a lot of goalkeeping boils down to just how well those in front of you do prior in the play. Yes, there's probably a few things here that Kepa could've done better in, but there's a lot of nitpicking for the sake of it.  Some are also quite quick to forget that he's also kept us in contests and won us points through his own performances. No one is going to clip that though are they... 

• 73rd percentile for saves
  • 98th percentile for save percentage (77.8%) (league high)
  • 90th percentile for clean sheets
  • 92nd percentile for clean sheet percentage (44.4%) (Nike Pope leads with 48%)

And there's a few other positive statistical based areas where he's in the higher percentiles. 

We're not where we are because of Kepa's quality. He's not perfect by any means, and can certainly be upgraded upon, but he's arguably been one of the brighter performers this season . 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

What a shithouse clip that provides zero context to the plays involved. 

Believe it or not a lot of goalkeeping boils down to just how well those in front of you do prior in the play. Yes, there's probably a few things here that Kepa could've done better in, but there's a lot of nitpicking for the sake of it.  Some are also quite quick to forget that he's also kept us in contests and won us points through his own performances. No one is going to clip that though are they... 

• 73rd percentile for saves
  • 98th percentile for save percentage (77.8%) (league high)
  • 90th percentile for clean sheets
  • 92nd percentile for clean sheet percentage (44.4%) (Nike Pope leads with 48%)

And there's a few other positive statistical based areas where he's in the higher percentiles. 

We're not where we are because of Kepa's quality. He's not perfect by any means, and can certainly be upgraded upon, but he's arguably been one of the brighter performers this season . 

I didn’t say we’re where we are because of Kepa, but he certainly doesn’t help the situation.   There’s no context needed to the mistakes against Man City, Spurs or Everton. And this is supposedly a ‘good run’

You can throw a load of stats at me all you want but I prefer you use the eye test.  He doesn’t command his area, isn’t tall enough to cover shots from distance that are partially towards the corner, and has weak wrists. 

I’ve seen enough of him over the years to know that he will never be of the standard we require.  I know this sounds incredibly harsh, but I’m just calling a spade a spade.

11 minutes ago, Rob B said:

I didn’t say we’re where we are because of Kepa, but he certainly doesn’t help the situation.   There’s no context needed to the mistakes against Man City, Spurs or Everton. And this is supposedly a ‘good run’

You can throw a load of stats at me all you want but I prefer you use the eye test.  He doesn’t command his area, isn’t tall enough to cover shots from distance that are partially towards the corner, and has weak wrists. 

I’ve seen enough of him over the years to know that he will never be of the standard we require.  I know this sounds incredibly harsh, but I’m just calling a spade a spade.

Never said you did, was making a generalised statement. Again, I also acknowledged there was a few instances where he could've done better in games, I've never absolved him from all responsibility. 

There's nothing wrong with the eye test, I agree with much of what you've expressed are Kepa's weak points. In fact, I said he could be improved upon and criticised a few of the points you raised before in the past when discussing him. He's not perfect by any means and has his shortcomings. 

Which is fine, I've also seen plenty of him and feel similarly. Long term he isn't the solution and I've said similarly in the match thread earlier. He is however competent enough to play a role here, it may not be as a bonafide first choice if we can get someone of a higher quality in, but he's someone we can work with for the mean time while we have other areas that need addressing first. 

Mendy isn't the solution either and if we're making only one GK change in the summer then Mendy is the one that needs to go first. 

• Agree 1

There are loads of keepers in the Premier League who would bite your hand off to play for us, and who would be better than Kepa. I'm glad Kepa has overcome the moment of madness under Sarri, but I don't want him between the sticks for us. He is limited physically and prone to serious errors. His main strength is his ability to play the ball with his feet, but that's not enough.

On 19/03/2023 at 08:51, Rob B said:

Below is a compilation from like the last 10 games.   

Last 10 games? The first minute or so of that compilation was from 2022.

And it includes a free kick that deflected into the top corner, and a penalty! 

13 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

We have conceded 28 league goals this season.

Arsenal 26, Man City 25.

We have scored 29

Arsenal have 66, Man City 67.

The defence and GK have not been the problem.

That is very difficult to argue with. Especially when you consider KK and Cucurella have both had their problems adjusting.

27 minutes ago, Bison said:

Having goalscoring problems doesn't make Kepa any less of an issue.

Mendy deserves an opportunity after the international break.

Conceding goals isn't the problem.

Mendy's form from West Ham away onwards last season, and continuing into this, has been far worse than Kepa

Mendy has played 6.5 games in the league, conceding 10

Kepa has played 20.5 games, conceding 18

Edited by paulw66

Just now, paulw66 said:

Conceding goals isn't the problem.

Mendy's form from West Ham away onwards last season, and continuing into this, has been far worse than Kepa

We could have conceded several against Leicester due to Kepa's erratic goalkeeping but thankfully the players were wise enough to get back on the line and make last ditch tackles and  clearances.

How about the equaliser conceded on Saturday. It went through him so easily he may as well not have been there. That's 3 goals conceded in the last two games ad it could easily have been 5+.

Mendy's reputation took a battering after some high profile mistakes but fundamentally he has and always will be a better goalkeeper than Kepa.

11 minutes ago, Bison said:

We could have conceded several against Leicester due to Kepa's erratic goalkeeping but thankfully the players were wise enough to get back on the line and make last ditch tackles and  clearances.

How about the equaliser conceded on Saturday. It went through him so easily he may as well not have been there. That's 3 goals conceded in the last two games ad it could easily have been 5+.

Mendy's reputation took a battering after some high profile mistakes but fundamentally he has and always will be a better goalkeeper than Kepa.

The problem is Mendy has stopped "trying" he's annoyed about his contract and has essentially stopped trying to improve and in doing so has regressed fantastically quickly and now isn't worth the contract we'd actually offered him that he rejected.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

The problem is Mendy has stopped "trying" he's annoyed about his contract and has essentially stopped trying to improve and in doing so has regressed fantastically quickly and now isn't worth the contract we'd actually offered him that he rejected.

Stopped trying? How would we know that?

Just now, Mark Kelly said:

Because of his last few performances where he was absolutely pitiful , was going down on one knee instead of diving , he was utterly dreadful and it lost him his place.

So am I OK to say Kepa has stopped trying in his last few performances because he's been bad too and it should also cost him the starting spot?

1 hour ago, Bison said:

Yup, ok last 2 games Kepa hasn't played well, but overall, the goals we have let in per game are more than acceptable.

Mendy has played 6.5 games in the league, conceding 10

Kepa has played 20.5 games, conceding 18

When did Mendy last have a good game for us? Cost us the CL last year against RM, letting in 5 shots from 6 on target, including getting caught in possession. Happened at WH last year, happened at Leeds in August.  6"6 and is rooted to his line at crosses. Clumsy with distribution.